PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite quotes

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-28-2009, 05:15 AM
I love reading quotes that make me think, motivate me, or just make me smile. What are your favorite quotes?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."
—Ambrose Redmoon

"Before you go and criticize the younger generation, just remember who raised them."
—Unknown Author

That one doesn't particulary do much for me, but I want to remember it for an "in your face" moment the next time someone talks to me about how kids are today.

And just for the lawlz:

"Your turn to walk the crocodile"
—Craig Mabbitt

I'll post more soon.

NeoTifa
06-28-2009, 05:58 AM
":bou::bou::bou::bou: happens"

Vermachtnis
06-28-2009, 06:15 AM
"Girls shouldn't use inhuman weapons because they're pissed off."
~Minamoto (Zettai Karen Children)

Heath
06-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Essentially anything at all uttered or written by Bill Bryson, Douglas Adams or Stephen Fry really. One I'm particularly taken with at the moment is:

"A sign in the yard of a church next door said CHRIST IS THE ANSWER. (The question, of course, is: What do you say when you strike your thumb with a hammer?)" - Bill Bryson (The Lost Continent)

Otherwise another particular favourite:

"Plato is my friend — Aristotle is my friend — but my greatest friend is truth." (Isaac Newton)

There are lots of quotes I like and I have trouble keeping track of them all!

Timekeeper
06-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I too am a serious fan of quotes.
I have often found myself going through bunches of quotes and keeping the best in notepad files :D
Here's a bunch of my favourites...

“The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.” (Hemingway)

“The first draft of anything is :bou::bou::bou::bou:” (Hemingway)

“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” (Hemingway)

“Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” (Hemingway)

"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." (Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird)

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do." (Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird)

"The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be." (Edgar Allan Poe)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-28-2009, 07:29 PM
"This existence is not about learning to accept reality; but rather- remembering your power to create it"
-Michael Cummings

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Here's some:

"The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands." -Henry Ellis

"Every day with you is an adventure I never wanted. Like swimming naked through shards of glass." -Black Mage, 8-Bit Theatre (from comic of Dec. 23rd, '06)

"Ideen sind zollfrei" ("Ideas cannot be kept out by the imposition of tariffs.") -Bismarck

"Because I do it with one small ship, I am called a terrorist. You do it with a whole fleet and are called an emperor." -a pirate from St. Augustine's "City of God"

"Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood." -Gandhi

NeoTifa
06-28-2009, 07:37 PM
"You are the hero of Hyrule" -Zelda (lol)

I Took the Red Pill
06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
"The priests of the different religious sects ... dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight, and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subdivision of the duperies on which they live."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
- Henry David Thoreau

Namelessfengir
06-29-2009, 02:42 AM
if somebody tries to kill you, kill em right back ~ mal reynolds ~ firefly

leader of mortals
06-29-2009, 02:58 AM
My favorite poem of all time! Everything from Henry Longfellow's "A Psalm of Life" is fricken gold!

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream ! —
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Not enjoyment, and not sorrow,
Is our destined end or way ;
But to act, that each to-morrow
Find us farther than to-day.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle !
Be a hero in the strife !

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant !
Let the dead Past bury its dead !
Act,— act in the living Present !
Heart within, and God o'erhead !

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time ;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate ;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

I have it in spoiler tags so no one complains...

My favorite is this verse...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-29-2009, 03:35 AM
"To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,
before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.
To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the
greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The people who risk nothing, do nothing,
have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change,
grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free."

I don't know who wrote that, but I love it.

Tama2
06-29-2009, 03:37 AM
"When God hands you lemons find a new god."

Medi
06-29-2009, 04:48 AM
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
- Henry David Thoreau

I just had to analyze the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of Walden for my American Lit class. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, these are some of my favorites:

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death" - Thomas Paine

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." - Thoreau

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan

"Happiness is a way of travel - not a destination" - Roy Goodman

"Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera. (You can cut all the flowers, but you will never stop the spring)" - Pablo Neruda

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right" - Ani DiFranco

FFIX Choco Boy
06-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look like?

Yup.

Kirobaito
06-29-2009, 05:01 AM
My favorite poem of all time! Everything from Henry Longfellow's "A Psalm of Life" is fricken gold!

Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream ! —
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem.

Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.

Art is long, and Time is fleeting,
And our hearts, though stout and brave,
Still, like muffled drums, are beating
Funeral marches to the grave.

In the world's broad field of battle,
In the bivouac of Life,
Be not like dumb, driven cattle !
Be a hero in the strife !

Trust no Future, howe'er pleasant !
Let the dead Past bury its dead !
Act,— act in the living Present !
Heart within, and God o'erhead !

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time ;

Footprints, that perhaps another,
Sailing o'er life's solemn main,
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother,
Seeing, shall take heart again.

Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate ;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait.

I have it in spoiler tags so no one complains...

My favorite is this verse...

Oh, that baby is just begging to be set to music and sung. Mwahahaha.

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Vermachtnis
06-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Needs more Tick quotes.

"You know, though today was the worst day of my life, I learned many things. First, the world looks a lot different when you're six inches tall and covered with feathers. Second, two heads are definitely not better than one. And finally, you can lay eggs and still feel like a man."

"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad dog!"

"Ah ha-ha, chess. The ancient contest of wits. Two opponents: mano a mano. Braino a braino. And look: magnets for ease of travel. You could play chess on the moon."

"Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception."

"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!"

Oh and one from Paradox.

"At first, I went mad, of course. But after a few millennia, I got bored with that, too, and went sane. Very sane."

Timekeeper
06-29-2009, 10:25 AM
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!"

Oh and one from Paradox.

"At first, I went mad, of course. But after a few millennia, I got bored with that, too, and went sane. Very sane."

I really like these two!

I Took the Red Pill
07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
I'mma bump this mothersmurfer by posting some more quotes because I love getting glimpses of mankind's rarely-found-but-when-it-is-found-it-is-awesome genius. :greenie:

"Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me"
-Immanuel Kant

"He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity."
-Mikhail Bakunin

"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
-Mikhail Bakunin

drotato
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
omg, I dunno if I can even choose just a few. Let's see:

True genius resides in the capacity for evaluation of uncertain, hazardous, and conflicting information. -Winston Churchhill.

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous. -Ingrid Bergman.

Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life. -Leo Buscaglia.

Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop. -H.L. Mencken.

Those are just a few. Hah, I really like quotes about love, I guess. Those are just very clever to me. > <

trancekuja
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
"I don't hate your mother,I just wont be sad when she dies." - Homer

Breine
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Here are some. The first one is from a book/play and the others I've heard in real life (yes, I wrote some down):

- "If music be the food of love, play on" - Shakespeare

- "You just have to think like Jim Morrisson and try to not f**king kill yourself" - Louise Margaret
- "Same same, but different"
- "You're so cute you should be made into a handbag!" - Chinese guy sitting in a bar said that to me.

Quindiana Jones
07-09-2009, 04:12 PM
"Man, that Psychotic: what a douche." - Plato