PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead 2... BOYCOTT!?

Aydin
06-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Left 4 Dead is one of the most successful first person shooters on Xbox Live and Steam.

Left 4 Dead is about four people immune to a highly infectious disease that turns people into mindless zombies. Up to four players can play as each of the survivors and must work together to battle the zombies who are trying to kill them and escape safely in four campaigns. Gameplay was intense, fun, and addicting. The games campaigns had a dark, creepy atmosphere that matched the gameplay and the backstory.

There are only four campaigns when the game was introduced but each of them had huge replay value but when the game was announced, Valve (the game developers) also stated that they would update the game regularly adding more campaigns and modes of gameplay to keep the game fresh and full of life. In one year after the game came out, Valve developers made one mode of gameplay. ONE WHOLE MODE! And no new campaigns.

Then in less than a year after its release, Valve introdues Left 4 Dead 2 introducing new characters, new campaigns, and similar gameplay. Easily this game could be made as an update for Left 4 Dead 1 so instead of shelling out another 60 dollars for L4D2, people have decided to boycott the second game...

There's even a website dedicated to boycotting L4D2!
L4D2 Boycott - Home (http://l4d2boycott.proboards.com/)

What do you guys think?

Vyk
06-30-2009, 04:23 AM
I didn't think the first game was complete enough to warrant sixty bucks. Let alone a rehash

nik0tine
06-30-2009, 04:36 AM
I didn't think the first game was complete enough to warrant sixty bucks. Let alone a rehash
I agree completely. Left4Dead was hands down the worst product Valve has ever released. Ricochet was a better game than that.

Fonzie
06-30-2009, 05:22 AM
I agree completely. Left4Dead was hands down the worst product Valve has ever released. Ricochet was a better game than that.

I wouldn't call it that, maybe just broken to a certain degree. It sure as hell was fun to play on extreme mode with a lot of friends on Live.

Slothy
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM

I would disagree with that myself, though it should have included all of the maps in versus mode from the start. And no one should have been paying $60 since they should have bought the game on the PC. :p

I personally loved L4D, but with L4D2, it's not exactly easy to get around the fact that we were pretty much promised content updates for the game (in the same way we get TF2 updates) going forward. So far all we've gotten is two versus maps that should have been in there to begin with, and survival mode. Unless L4D2 is expansion pack cheap when it comes out then I won't blame a lot of fans for feeling left out in the cold by Valve. I'm not trying to say they can't release a sequel if they want, but don't promise one thing then give us something else, especially when you set the standard for giving gamers a lot of bang for their buck with the Orange Box.

Loony BoB
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Loved L4D, it was so much fun. Danielle and I played it on co-op many times. Don't think I'll buy the L4D2, though - more of the same doesn't interest me much.

Meat Puppet
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
ugh
I do not care
both camps (by which I mean boycott and anti-boycott) are equally annoying and pretentious these days
they should just get married, move to central america and perform uncouth sexual rituals imo

xXsarahXx
06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
this boycott thing is ridiculous.
Were any of you guys at E3? Did you play the preview to it?
I know a few that did and they said its amazing!
Left 4 Dead 2 Preview | Game Reviews, Previews, Articles, Trailers and Community Forums (http://www.gameon.co.uk/games/preview/2009/left-4-dead-2-preview)
(Whilst your there feel free to check out reviews by Angelfromabove)

Valve are promising additional content and continued support for L4D so whats the problem??

Slothy
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Valve are promising additional content and continued support for L4D so whats the problem??

Last I had heard there was no word on Valve continuing to release additional content so thanks for the heads up.

Like I said before, I'm fine with a L4d2, though a year later seems a bit soon. I was only worried about L4D getting no new content (and really it makes little sense to release a full new game and keep putting out new stuff for the old one), but as long as the original is still getting the content the community was promised then I have no real reason to complain, outside of having to switch games depending on what people in my friends list are playing anyway. :D

Bolivar
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
It seems the boycott has been successful, a lot of people at Valve have publicly stated that they agree that the first game should still be supported, and even that there should be some kind of solution to allow players with both installments to have multiplayer synergy.

I think it shows how useful Steam is for the consumer when stuff like this happens.

NeoTifa
07-07-2009, 01:06 AM
WONDERING WITCHES!!!1!!!1!!11!!!!1!!1!!!one!!1!!1!1!!!

Markus. D
07-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Welcome it, imo.

You may boycott L4D2, you'll just be missing out though, screw the politics, stop being overzealous and just play the darn thing :|...

Quindiana Jones
07-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Well, I was planning on boycotting it anyway. Not for any moral reasons, just because it probably sucks.

Araciel
07-07-2009, 02:26 AM
If you don't like it, don't buy it... But an actual boycott?! Hah

Værn
07-07-2009, 03:57 AM
So basically, what you're saying is that people loved the game so much that they're boycotting the sequel because it isn't free?

Elly
07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
no they're boycotting it not because it wasn't free but because they were lied to about support for the first one... i don't even like games like L4D and i can easily see why they're mad, if a game i liked came out with promises of a lot of extended support and only got 1 extra game mode added within a year i'd be mad too and cease supporting it's sequal...

NeoTifa
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Wtf are you talking about? There is a new update like every other day!!! They're always fixing :bou::bou::bou::bou: in that game!!!

G13
07-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh god whatever you do, don't boycott racism (first thing that came to my head) or anything worthwhile. Go ahead and boycott a video game that you aren't obligated to buy. Oh, I'm sorry, what? You got shafted? Cry me a fucking river!

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life.

Madame Adequate
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh god whatever you do, don't boycott racism (first thing that came to my head) or anything worthwhile. Go ahead and boycott a video game that you aren't obligated to buy. Oh, I'm sorry, what? You got shafted? Cry me a smurfing river!

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life.

Uh, this is sort of exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. If you don't like something then don't buy it. The fact that they're being noisy and stuff just shows that Valve aren't living up to their brand image.

SomethingBig
07-19-2009, 10:46 PM
It really is annoying how whiny and obnoxious gamers can be. What's the absolute worst about the boycotters is that they feel as if the release of L4D2 is an attack on them. Valve, a business, is releasing a sequel to a hit game and are simultaneously taking a collective dump on the 1% (last time I checked the number of boycotters, it was 25,000, but that was a week or two ago) of the original fanbase that cares enough to complain. It's as if in their inflated egos, they believe that because they bought and played the game religiously, Valve is indebted to them; that Valve has obligations to them.

They remind me of kids who do chores because they think that this obligates their parents, who clothe and feed them, to give them some sort of compensation for it.

NeoTifa
07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I only do chores because my mom wont stop bitching until I do :goofy:

This might be a whole other argument altogether, but Inside: a shocking, banned Left 4 Dead 2 image! L@@K! - Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/inside-a-shocking-banned-left-4-dead-2-image-lk.ars)

SomethingBig
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
My mom STILL threatens to take away my toys if I don't do my chores. It's not fair! I earned my toys on Christmas!

ConstantineII
07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, I think that the only major difference between the two games is the use of melee weapons. Personally, I love the original L4D, but I'm willing to see what they furnish the new installment with, and then deciding whether or not its worth me time.

Crimson
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Valve already made a statement saying L4D 2 wont be boycotted, despite the recent hate it's still majorly anticipated (It seems the fanbase is unaware that my god there actually ARE other fanbases of L4D out there).

Left 4 Dead 2 is happening no matter what.

/Thread

Lenna
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
L4D is an awesome game when it comes to multiplayer but single player it lacks a little. However L4D2 is being brought out with many new features, such as full on melee combat, deeper co-operative play and also new weapons such as the frying pan, baseball bat, axe and CHAINSAW!!!. There are also new bosses, enemies and items. The versus and campaigns have been detailed to make them better than the first.

One thing me and my friends would love to do in left 4 dead, is kill a tank with melee options.. Now we can!!! =P