PDA

View Full Version : Neglected

trancekuja
06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
In our meaningless and sad wastes of lives we've all probably come across some games that were for some, to us unknown reason neglected. It made one think how can such an amazing game be so underrated and underappreciated. Is it because of poor marketing, misunderstood concept, stupid people who wouldn't recognize a great game even if it bit them in the ass? Or is it you and your crappy gaming taste? This thread is dedicated to all of the unfairly neglected RPG (or any other genre) masterpieces which suffered in silence. Let's give them a proper respect.

I'll start. Definite first place in my book is reserved for Koudelka. I didn't expect much of this game because it didnt get the best critics and no one really talked about it or recommended it to me. That's why it was one of the last RPG's on my PS1 schedule. But I fell in love with it as soon as I popped the disc into the old grey box. Intro song called "Requiem" was fantastic and it often made me leave the ps1 and TV turned on so that I can listen to it. The game itself was so good. Unique and fantastic story, well developed characters, horror atmosphere, FMV's, turn based battle system...not to mention the soundtrack! The soundtrack is just too good. All of these are the reasons why I anticipated Shadow Hearts with excitement. First two, especially Covenant, I could play all the time. Third one...the third one...it was a piece of crap. Well, that was expected since it takes place in America.:tongue: I hope the developers will come to their senses asap and continue where the Covenant ended.

Shoeberto
06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Medieval saw a small resurgence on the PSP, but largely the games seem to be overlooked. Both games were really fun action-adventure games with unique direction. Sir Daniel Fortesque was a great lead, too. He was able to be really goofy while also playing the straight man most of the time. Good times.

Vermachtnis
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I concur with what you said about Koudelka. Of course any game where the female lead doesn't have to be a mage and takes a back seat to the guy is okay in my book.

There's Septerra Core. A fun RPG with a unique cast and different battle system. I really liked the battle system, but I a lot of people didn't. They probably didn't get far enough to get new skills are magic cards to have fun with it.

Momiji
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I haven't touched Final Fantasy III DS for almost two years now. Maybe I should pick it up and see if I can finish it.

Same goes for Persona 3.

qwertysaur
06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't touched Final Fantasy III DS for almost two years now. Maybe I should pick it up and see if I can finish it.

Same goes for Persona 3.
Momiji, go play Persona now! :colbert:

Momiji
06-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Same goes for Persona 3.
Momiji, go play Persona now! :colbert:

I always get caught up in the inevitable Megaten Moments and get discouraged. :(

Besides, I'm playing Dragon Quest IV and NetHack right now.

Quindiana Jones
06-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Momiji just has a secret hatred of the number 3.

The Darkness seems to me to have been almost completely ignored by the gaming community.

Jessweeee♪
06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Threads of Fate! I didn't even get released outside of Japan or North America :(

And Persona! Though it's been getting a lot more attention since P4's release.

Momiji
06-30-2009, 07:10 PM
As for neglected games overall, arcade games hardly get any love anymore. It's sad to say the least. :(

Wolf Kanno
06-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a dirty secret love for Music Rhythm games so of course, many fall into the cracks.

Mad Maestro actually turned out to be a really fun and surprisingly difficult game with a fun cast of characters and a bizarre story that seems to be the norm for this genre.

Um Jammer Lammy is another fun game, a spiritual sequel to Parappa the Rapper which sticks to a guitar theme instead of its predecessors rap. You could even unlock Parappa and play head to head with him. Really fun game with great music and the often overlooked sibling in the Parappa franchise. :(

P.S. Momiji, Go play some Persona dammit! :mad2:

Aydin
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
There was a 3D platformer on the PS1 that I played all the time when I was younger called 40 Winks and it was like the greatest thing ever!!

By the way, I have Koudelka in my closet and I haven't get past the second disc... I should play it sometime...

Momiji
07-01-2009, 12:22 AM
There was a 3D platformer on the PS1 that I played all the time when I was younger called 40 Winks and it was like the greatest thing ever!!

I played that once or twice way back when and hated it. :p

Aydin
07-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Well, I grew up with that game and I guess I was too young to knew good quality games and bad quality games...

Jessweeee♪
07-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Well, I grew up with that game and I guess I was too young to knew good quality games and bad quality games...

When I was little I played some Sega game about Cheetos and I thought it was fun :(

Jiro
07-03-2009, 10:47 AM

It would have been a "meh, whatever" game if only the damn thing didn't overwrite my master save for FFVII. From that day onwards I cursed every time the 40 Winks bed ad came on TV (okay maybe that's a lie but it still reminded me)

Iceglow
07-03-2009, 02:19 PM
I've neglected and been neglecting the Golden Sun GBA games for a very long time, also I never finished the Protoss campaign in Starcraft lol

ReloadPsi
07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Until last Autumn I neglected Chrono Trigger for far, far, far, far too long.

I think the original Guilty Gear is a bit overlooked. As fighting games go it's a bit streamlined features-wise, but it's a solid fighter with a nice difficulty setting... I'm totally convinced it was self-adjusting. In before Max Payne bitches!