PDA

View Full Version : Serious this is gonna get out of hand

Shattered Dreamer
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Videogaming Gets Physical - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/videogaming-gets-physical/1331618)

I reckon this whole motion sensing controller jazz is going too far. For a whole body work out I play sport or go to the gym. Video games are what I do to relax.I see the benefit of getting lazy children to exercise but come on don't ruin it for the rest of us! Discuss.

ReloadPsi
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
It will either
a) not work, just like Dance-Dance Revolution and Wii Fit do not, or
b) make you look stupid, just like DDR and Wii Fit do.

Avarice-ness
07-03-2009, 03:02 PM
It will either

Not true.

I actually lost 33 pounds by playing DDR. (Was 166 when I left college in April 2005, I was 133 around the end of summer of 2005) I called it the "DDR Soda diet" I still ate and drank everything I wanted even though people were like "Yeah you should eat better and drink diet soda's". To compensate for that I played for 4 or 5 hours with just 2 breaks to eat/drink, that was at 2 hours and usually 3 and a half hours due to being tired, all on standard or heavy mode.

I actually plan on losing weight via DDR again, I just have to get up off my ass.

Either way, Wii fit is like yoga, while I've HEARD of people losing weight from yoga, I've never actually talked to someone or seen someone who has.

ljkkjlcm9
07-03-2009, 03:04 PM
My biggest problem with it is, if it captures your motions and reflects them in the game, there goes the greatest appeal of games to many people. Having a character that can do things that you as a normal human cannot.
If soccer becomes so real in the game that it reflects the angle of your foot and all that in the game for when you shoot, and you stink at soccer, you'll stink at the game. On top of that, if it really gets that "realistic" then wouldn't you be better off actually going and playing soccer?

Plus, if I've been working for 8 hours and I want to go home and relax, I'm not going to want to stand up and flail my arms around. Honestly, how long can you play a fighting game where you're actually fighting, before you get tired? And what about the cool special moves, can they even exist in that kind of fighting game?

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Gaming has been physical for years, every time I finish the torture sequence with Revolver Ocelot in MGS my arm is really sore. Same with boosting my GF's in FF8, but atleast the controler doesnt vibrate as much.

DDR is a really good way to work out thigh muscles.

Avarice-ness
07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Gaming has been physical for years, every time I finish the torture sequence with Revolver Ocelot in MGS my arm is really sore. Same with boosting my GF's in FF8, but atleast the controler doesnt vibrate as much.

DDR is a really good way to work out thigh muscles.

xDDD

As for the "amg physical"...

On the NES there was an olympic game that had a mat much like the DDR mat but with like a couple of different options. There was one where you put your two feet down and ran in place to win the track game and the other was like where you would run and then jump up for the... thing where you jump far into the sand.

KentaRawr!
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
It will either

You say that like the point of the controllers are to make you lose weight. :p

Also, rather than take this from Yahoo News, you should look at how the companies presented them from E3.

Here's Sony's new controller. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcOPwAvPvc)

And here's Microsoft's. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_gDreIdcM)

blackmage_nuke
07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Also I might be a technophobe but anything that involves strong short distance wireless signals makes me think it'll give me cancer. (I dont even like to turn the bluetooth on my phone on)

Madame Adequate
07-03-2009, 05:37 PM
My main question about motion controls is: What can they do that controllers can't? And what can they do significantly better than controllers?

I've yet to hear answers which place motion controls higher than steering wheels and lightguns in terms of widespread utility. These things all have their place, sure - but that place isn't the centerpiece of a console, as far as I can see.

KentaRawr!
07-03-2009, 06:21 PM
My main question about motion controls is: What can they do that controllers can't? And what can they do significantly better than controllers?

I've yet to hear answers which place motion controls higher than steering wheels and lightguns in terms of widespread utility. These things all have their place, sure - but that place isn't the centerpiece of a console, as far as I can see.

There isn't anything a regular controller can't do. You can program a button to do anything, and in the same way, you can apply any action to a given motion. What makes people like it is simply the experience of moving a part of their body in tune with the gameplay, like twisting the controller to turn a switch, or lifting it to lift something in the game. There's also the possibility of making the game easier to understand this way, as Nintendo had advertised it before the Wii was announced, and as it was seen in Wii Sports.

Madame Adequate
07-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Anything directly tactile doesn't work because you don't get the feedback. When you turn a steering wheel in Wii Mario Kart it's not turning against you (Aside from the fact that sticking your arms out holding the thing up isn't going to last long before it's tiring). When you flick a switch there's no physical sense of doing so. Fighting games are right out, because you won't be able to feel any impacts and more importantly if you take a swing at old Vader, in-game he might block it, but in meatspace you've swung clear past him. How does the game compensate for the fact that your lightsaber is in effect in two places at once?

Wolf Kanno
07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I feel this "O NOES!!! EVEWY THINGS IS GOING TO BE MOTIONAL CONTLOL! ALL GAMES GONNA BE WIKE NINTENDO CRAP!!! :Eek: :Eek:" fear-mongering is just that. Fear-Mongering.

I don't feel Motion controls will ever completely take the place of normal controllers, they will just be another controller peripheral to add to your Dance pads, Light Guns, plastic guitars and driving wheels. I feel they will have a larger role in gaming but I don't see this as a bad thing. I felt Zelda:TP was a fantastic experience on the Wii due to the extra immersion created by the Wii controller. I cannot even play the GC version anymore cause I find the control scheme backwards and gets in the way of everything... Same foes for a alot of FPS games on console; cause I've traditionally hated them for their cumbersome control schemes and poor hit detection (created to compensate for their crummy controls) and now feel I can get better quality with a Wii-mote or Light Gun.

The technology isn't perfect yet but I don't see why we should kill it for that alone, its not like early controls on the Atari or NES were perfect either back in the day and I still find games today that have a hard time keeping up with player input.

As for the "I play games to relax", I find it silly to believe people that motion control means Wii-Fit and EA Fitness will be the way games go. There are tons of Developers who got into the biz for their classic games and I seriously doubt they will stop production on building games they like just to jump into the "Casual Bug" that's driving the industry. Your traditional games will have a place as well, its just going to be next to the casual market. Besides, I do come home after a hard day to vent my frustration out on DDR despite being tired. Physical activity is great for relieving mental exhaustion. :p

black orb
07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
>>> Dont worry, they always make an optional old fashioned controler for all of us the lazy gamers..

Madame Adequate
07-03-2009, 09:27 PM
That's fair, Wolf Kanno - I don't mind motion controls taking their place as a tool of game developers. I hear The Conduit controls exceptionally well, and given that the only previous lightgun FPS (as opposed to rail shooter) I know if is one of the old Resident Evils, that's a darned good thing. I applaud and welcome it, and it's certainly something I'll check out if I should get a Wii.

It's just that... well, it seems like the companies are making it a centerpiece, and it's really not - in my eyes - much more deserving of being a centerpiece than a lightgun. And yes, I agree that ultimately it will be allotted the place it deserves, but I'd just rather not have to put up with a few years of nonsense between now and then :p

KentaRawr!
07-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Anything directly tactile doesn't work because you don't get the feedback. When you turn a steering wheel in Wii Mario Kart it's not turning against you (Aside from the fact that sticking your arms out holding the thing up isn't going to last long before it's tiring). When you flick a switch there's no physical sense of doing so. Fighting games are right out, because you won't be able to feel any impacts and more importantly if you take a swing at old Vader, in-game he might block it, but in meatspace you've swung clear past him. How does the game compensate for the fact that your lightsaber is in effect in two places at once?

They'll just have to make it so that you can't hit anything your lightsaber won't cut through. :cry:

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2009, 06:01 AM
That's fair, Wolf Kanno - I don't mind motion controls taking their place as a tool of game developers. I hear The Conduit controls exceptionally well, and given that the only previous lightgun FPS (as opposed to rail shooter) I know if is one of the old Resident Evils, that's a darned good thing. I applaud and welcome it, and it's certainly something I'll check out if I should get a Wii.

It's just that... well, it seems like the companies are making it a centerpiece, and it's really not - in my eyes - much more deserving of being a centerpiece than a lightgun. And yes, I agree that ultimately it will be allotted the place it deserves, but I'd just rather not have to put up with a few years of nonsense between now and then :p

I understand where you are coming from but personally, I just don't see Sony or Microsoft being able to steal Nintendo's thunder. I can't see either system being able to be marketed in a way that could equal Nintendo by this point. I see these motion controls going the same route as the Eye Toy and less successful peripherals for Nintendo. What we might see (and this is hopeful thinking) is Sony and MS being able to actually utilize the technology for something more than just mini-games and shooting galleries. I'd like to see more attempts like No More Heroes, Zelda:TP, and The Conduit than the Sony/MS version of Wii Sports.

Ultima Shadow
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
It will either

Hey, DDR is AWESOME! =(

Markus. D
07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
It will either

Hey, DDR is AWESOME! =(

<3

Wolf Kanno
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I actually like playing DDR too, and if you actually get good at the game, you don't look stupid. :p

Bolivar
07-07-2009, 08:42 PM

Well, drawing and selection for starters. The tech demo presenters specifically said at the Sony E3 press conference "Finally, we have an interface on a console that lets us do Real-Time Strategy". Despite EA putting tremendous work into the Command Stick & Command Stick 2.0, playing the Red Alert 3 demo on my PS3 was the equivalent of showing a Muslim a cartoon of Mohammed.

In essence, there will always be things the keyboard & mouse does better than the controller, but I see some of these motion controller devices as being solutions to that problem.

Personally, the full motion body games don't appeal to me, but there have been plenty of traditional games on both the Wii and PS3 that have really found practical ways to integrate motion controls into well established gameplay. Heavenly Sword and The Godfather games on the PS3 as well as No More Heroes & Twilight Princess all did it exceptionally well. I see The Conduit as a great next step and hope to see this fusion in particular evolve into better games.