PDA

View Full Version : Opposite gender characters

ReloadPsi
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Sadly I cannot find the article pertaining to this subject as I read it a very long time ago. Nevertheless it touched on the subject that, according to a survey this news website had taken, bisexual players were most likely to prefer playing as characters of the opposite gender to themselves. My friend showed it to me because of that particular section of said article, though it was mainly about homophobia in gaming. But anyway...

I don't know how true this is, but I would consider myself proof of this; I tend to always prefer using the ladies in nearly every game I play!

Does anyone think this has any credibility? Do any of you like to use opposite gender characters a lot? Of those of you that do, do you happen to be bi?

And for the hell of it I'll list a few female characters I've enjoyed using in games as they come to mind...

Kitana (Mortal Kombat II... easiest character for me to win with once you learned her moves)
Tifa (FF7... so broken if you grind her Limit Breaks early on)
Li Mei (the last three MK games... well I liked her fighting style)
Casey Lynch (Guitar Hero II and III)

Honourable mention: I always thought it would be cool to have a short sequence in one of the Metal Gear games where something bad happens to Snake and you have to play as Meryl to do something about it. Never happened though :/

black orb
07-03-2009, 10:54 PM
>>> Ladies in action-fighting videogames are pretty awesome, they are always faster and a bit weaker than male characters..
I use them a lot in games like Tenchu and Onimusha.

Vermachtnis
07-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I found out way back in Ultima Online I'm more tolerable when I play a female characters. I like to play as Cassandra in Soul Calibur. And Shiki and Athena in SNK games.

Madame Adequate
07-03-2009, 11:40 PM
I certainly like playing girls, and I'm bi.

I dunno though. I also like playing Austrailians because they throw around jars o' piss, and I'm not Australian.

scrumpleberry
07-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I play male characters in fighters and games with a big cast of playable characters if I like them, but in MMOs or RPGs where you pick male or female, I always pick female. I think people are nicer to girls in MMOs anyway lol

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 01:29 AM
I play as girls a lot, and I"m straight. :p

In SC III Tira was one of my favorites. I played as that Japanese chick in GH 3, and my second best character in Tekken is Christie.

Though overall I use guys more, I'm all up for the kick ass ladies. ;)

Meat Puppet
07-04-2009, 02:07 AM
I mostly play as my gender. I never really feel that there’s much excitement in playing the opposite gender, and only ever do it if I’m forced to do so. A good lady friend of mine plays as males if they’re good looking!! Pssh.

Mirage
07-04-2009, 03:10 AM
I very often always play as girls...

dodhungry
07-04-2009, 04:17 AM
for me it usually depends on the game. in games where you can make multiple characters I usually balance males and females and have a male main. In the MMO's that are out again I have a male main and a female alt. In guitar hero ill play as the females though :plotting:

Im not bi so my defence to playing females is If im going to put 60+ hours into a game why in the world would I want to stare at a guys butt the entire time.......

ReloadPsi
07-04-2009, 06:09 AM
I dunno though. I also like playing Austrailians because they throw around jars o' piss, and I'm not Australian.

Hahaha, what? :P

my defence to playing females is If im going to put 60+ hours into a game why in the world would I want to stare at a guys butt the entire time.......

Yeah, it does annoy me when you play as a guy and his butt wiggles ¬_¬

Namelessfengir
07-04-2009, 01:17 PM
in sc2 cassandra and sophita are pretty much useless. in 2 my best character is talim, in three i have to go with maxi.
i hated how they changed the moves. yunsungs triple kick usually ringed out in sc2

Fuzakeru
07-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm a female and always play female characters if I have the choice.

Vyk
07-05-2009, 01:37 AM
If I'm playing with someone else I'll usually play a dude. 'Cause I'm a dude. As far as regular games by myself, it really depends on the game. If they offer a guy I can tolerate or I can make my own fairly well I'll probably use them. If not, I'm not going to settle. I used to play as females all the time, just for the eye candy

My brother uses females all the time hands down

I usually will with fighting games though. The speed and flexibility and stuff ... looks help too

Ultima Shadow
07-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Though it depends on the game, I usually go for the girls as well.

In RPGs where you choose between characters with "premade" looks, I usually go for a girl. But in, for example, Baldur's gate (not the Dark Alliance ones) or Oblivion where you can make an entierly self-made character, I usually make a guy. Not always, but usually.

In fighting games, I almost always go for girls except in SC2 where I prefere Nightmare. In 3 and 4, I only go for custom character though and they tend to be girls.

In smash, it's all about the fighting style and my main in melee is Ganon while my main in Brawl is Ike. Marth is my second in both. So no chicks there.

In most regular 1P RPGs, I tend to priorize the hottest girls and the most interesting characters equally.

...yeah, so over all, I tend to go for girls more often I guess. :greenie:

xXsarahXx
07-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I tend to go for my own gender, female.
I prefer the female character models, i find that more effort has gone into them usually and they look nicer.
I will always play females when it comes to fighting games too, SF4 Cammys my girl :D

Zeromus_X
07-08-2009, 02:45 AM
I think I pick guy/girl characters about evenly. I usually pick them depending on character design or personality, attractiveness is less important to me.

blackmage_nuke
07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont know if its because companies are afraid they'll be accused of being sexist but females tend to be stronger in games than males. I use to play girls often but now I go for the biggest hairiest man I can get.

Bunny
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I dont know if its because companies are afraid they'll be accused of being sexist but females tend to be stronger in games than males. I use to play girls often but now I go for the biggest hairiest man I can get.

I'm not sure how it is for other genres, but in RPGs specifically this has a small amount of truth to it. Females are generally magic users, which have their uses depending on the rules of the game you are playing and can typically deal more damage to their sword-and-board companions because it ignores rules that physical damage dealers must follow. However, they are weaker in the fact that they typically have less health and armor, so they take damage on a more steady basis. Magic users are also the first characters targeted by any smart player or AI system.

I usually pick genders based on their looks and how those looks combined with the class or job to enhance the overall feel of my experience. In WoW, it was even at 2-2. I had a female gnome warrior and a female Nelf druid but also had a male dwarf hunter and male gnome mage.

Levian
07-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, seems some females in videogames gets stronger or cooler moves to make up for the lack of females. Kitana and most of the Tekken women are pretty badass, especially xiauiuoioetc.etc. and Jun/Asuka

NeoTifa
07-09-2009, 01:26 AM
It depends. Im not bi, but I generally play with guys in rpgs and females in action games. I love Lara Croft!!! And in fighting games like Soul Calibur I always play with girls because they're generally faster. They may be weaker, but their manuverability more than makes up for it. Except Kilik. He's just kick ass. Fast and hot.