PDA

View Full Version : Public Enemies

Depression Moon
07-04-2009, 12:54 AM
I came back from viewing this move about thirty minutes ago. My initial reason to see it was because of Christian Bale and Johnny Depp. They're two actors that I really like and I was glorying the idea of an epic pirate vs Ninja battle. At first I was thinking about not seeing it, because the title of the movie itself. I thought that if a movie was truly going to be good it should have a distinguished and sort of original name. To me I thought all they did was Take the Public Enemy movie title and made it plural.

I still feel the same about the title. I think it should've been called something like Enemy #1. If you not have heard of this title then I will give you a little summary on its plot. It's about 1933 criminal John Dillinger who was a bank robber famous for stealing from those unmoral businesses that basically screwed the public of its money during the Great Depression and giving some of it back to its customers. he is also in conflict with the FBI who wants to stop him for the robberies he commmited for several years.Now here is my feeling towards the movie.

The first hour of the movie is kind of dull. There really isn't much to get my attention and one part of the movie that displays the public's affection towrds him doesn't really carry much meaning in the viewer's eyes. Unlike Changeling or John Q you don't really feel the suffering of these citizens and their admiration towards him. After the first hour is over things get interesting.

The action is intense and leaves wanting for more also the suspense for the condition and well-being of the character also has a highlight. There is an emotional moment somewhere in the movie that might tear you up. I would've made this review longer, but I don't want to risk spoiling anything. Johnny Depp played his role really well though, but Christian Bale was less noticeable and as being a ninja while Depp is a pirate, he's not as good with a gun. Despite the fact of the negative beginning i'm giving it an 8, because I just love these types of films.

8/10 by DM.

Garland
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Everybody looked the same. Excluding Johnny Depp's Dillinger, and to an extent, Christian Bale's Pervis, it was near impossible to keep names and faces together. There were too many people in the same suits and fedoras all firing tommy guns. Cops, robbers - they were all the same. I never knew if a good guy or a bad guy was getting killed. There were only two names I come away from the theater remembering - Christian Bale's Melvin Pervis and Johnny Depp's Dillinger. I never knew who was being killed, so none of the killings mattered. Depp and Bale saved this movie. I was kind of interested in the 1930s interrogation practices. How little things have changed.

Kirobaito
07-08-2009, 07:07 AM
I liked it. I thought that it would have helped to have, like you said, established how Dillinger was seen as a Robin Hood character to a lot of people, particularly during the Depression. They hinted at it with the crowds and how he let the bank customers keep their money, but not as well as they could have.