PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo customers (with poor taste) list the top 30 best animated films

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2009, 07:15 AM
The title says it all.

Read it and lets begin the roast :cool:

Yahoo! Users' Top Rated Animated Films - Photo Gallery on Yahoo! Movies (http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/1897/yahoo-users-top-rated-animated-films/fp#photo0)

Yar
07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
lol

I was amazed how many of these were created in my lifetime.

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 07:38 AM
....I liked Totoro and all, but WTF? HOW did it beat out Mononoke? HOW DAMMIT!

And the shreks were awesome, but there are so many better movies out there.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS LUPIN III: CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO!

Jessweeee♪
07-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Bah, it wasn't as bad as you made it sound xD

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 08:06 AM

SMURFING Totoro beat out Mononoke! SMURFING TOTORO!

The Unknown Guru
07-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Must... Contain... Laughter... :exdee:

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2009, 09:09 AM

It was terrible, I don't care what anyone says, Dreamworks and Pixar are not that good when you compare it to over 50 years of Disney, not to mention Miyazaki's films.

Bolt coming in at #3 and The Incredibles scoring lower than Cars is just unacceptable. :p

Shlup
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
The Little Mermaid got beat by Ratatouille?? Screw that noise.

KUNG FU PANDA IS NUMBER FOUR??

And the #1 is the most recently released animated film. Nice.

charliepanayi
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM
List voted for by the public is crap - shock!

Though what's with people here gasping about Totoro outranking stuff, it's possibly Miyazaki's best film! And that's high praise indeed.

Slothy
07-04-2009, 01:01 PM

It was terrible, I don't care what anyone says, Dreamworks and Pixar are not that good when you compare it to over 50 years of Disney, not to mention Miyazaki's films.

Ignore the rankings for a minute and look at what did make it on there (because no one will ever be happy with the rankings). From the way you made it sound in your first post, I'm surprised I saw anything pre-2000 on there, let alone a bunch of Miyazaki films.

And I will go on record as saying that the majority of Pixar's movies are better than anything Disney has done in years, and head and shoulders above many of their older classics. In fact, the only reason I can even stand watching some of the much older Disney movies is because I either grew up with them, or I cut them some slack for when they were made. Pixar pretty much are the modern Disney minus the music and fairy tales.

Psychotic
07-04-2009, 02:35 PM
WHERE THE smurf ARE THE POKEMON MOVIES???????????

Wolf Kanno
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM

Ignore the rankings for a minute and look at what did make it on there (because no one will ever be happy with the rankings). From the way you made it sound in your first post, I'm surprised I saw anything pre-2000 on there, let alone a bunch of Miyazaki films.

And I will go on record as saying that the majority of Pixar's movies are better than anything Disney has done in years, and head and shoulders above many of their older classics. In fact, the only reason I can even stand watching some of the much older Disney movies is because I either grew up with them, or I cut them some slack for when they were made. Pixar pretty much are the modern Disney minus the music and fairy tales.

I'm actually more miffed about the Disney films cause I feel quite the opposite. Granted, I was pleasantly surprised by the boon of Miyazaki films but I've never had a real love for Pixar; I find their films to be either hit or miss with me and I can honestly say I feel I'm the only person on the planet who apparently didn't like Toy Story.

I'm still trying to figure out why Cinderella made it when other classic Disney films were much better in terms of... well everything really.

Madame Adequate
07-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Decent selection of movies, but in an utterly bizarre order.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I am actually not surprised by Miyazaki's presence given the relationship between Studio Ghibli and Disney. I would say that despite its age Princess Mononoke is one of his better films. But that's just me.

Also, I've seen Up and while it is a good movie, I would hardly say it is the best animated film.

scrumpleberry
07-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh my god WHAT? I got up to Cars and couldn't read any more. Awful, hideous, terrible list. Jesus.

Old Manus
07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
I wondered why I hadn't recognised 90% of the films on the list, then I remembered I stopped giving a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about animated films some time ago.

charliepanayi
07-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I wondered why I hadn't recognised 90% of the films on the list, then I remembered I stopped giving a :bou::bou::bou::bou: about animated films some time ago.

Your loss!

Depression Moon
07-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Up, Cars, Ratatouille, Monsters vs. Aliens, Kung fu Panda, and Bolt have no business being on that list.

Marshall Banana
07-04-2009, 09:27 PM
SMURFING Totoro beat out Mononoke! SMURFING TOTORO!
Understandably! I think I like Princess Mononoke the least of the Miyazaki films I've watched. Howl's Moving Castle, Totoro, Spirited Away, and even Porco Rosso are better than Princess Mononoke.

I like Pixar films, but I don't think any of them - even Up - compare to classic Disney. I'm not just saying that as if I grew up watching my favorite Disney movies and can't kick the nostalgia, because I didn't. I didn't watch The Little Mermaid until 2004 or 2005, and I didn't watch Beauty and the Beast until 2006, I think.

Up is very much like a Miyazaki film.

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I like them all, but Totoro is like, bottom Tier Miyazaki, even if it was good. It doesn't even have much of a conflict. I mean, most classic disney films are more enjoyable. It shouldn't have been higher then near the bottom of the list.

charliepanayi
07-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I like them all, but Totoro is like, bottom Tier Miyazaki, even if it was good. It doesn't even have much of a conflict. I mean, most classic disney films are more enjoyable. It shouldn't have been higher then near the bottom of the list.

Why does it need a conflict? That's what is so great about Totoro, it's not like so many animated films, there's no villain or anything, it's just a simple tale told beautifully. Totoro and Spirited Away are two of the best films I've ever seen.

Marshall Banana
07-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Why does it need a conflict? That's what is so great about Totoro, it's not like so many animated films, there's no villain or anything, it's just a simple tale told beautifully.
I agree!

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Conflict keeps movies interesting. Without conflict, whats there to resolve? The movie doesn't really show much growth in characters, the feelings and emotions remain static through the movie.

It was really well told, but it still lacked much dynamic, though I might be using the wrong word there.

Madame Adequate
07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I like Pixar films, but I don't think any of them - even Up - compare to classic Disney. I'm not just saying that as if I grew up watching my favorite Disney movies and can't kick the nostalgia, because I didn't. I didn't watch The Little Mermaid until 2004 or 2005, and I didn't watch Beauty and the Beast until 2006, I think.

I'm really not sure how anyone can feel this way. :p Wall-E, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are far, far more brilliant, thoughtful, touching, and meaningful than any other animated movies I've ever seen and, in fact, pretty much any other movies period. Regular Disney stuff, whilst often very good, is a lot more prosaic and uninspired, in my eyes.

I've never cried at any classic Disney - Finding Nemo and Wall-E make me cry every time. So I guess that's the easiest way of putting it :p

On another note, never really got the fuss about Miyazaki personally.

qwertysaur
07-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Miyazaki gets appreciation for his talent at immersing the viewer into a new world with each movie. I'm happy a few of his movies were on it.

A lot of the newer movies do not deserve to be on that list though. Like Bolt and Monsters vs Aliens.

Overall the list has a lot of good movies on it, some overrated movies and UP is #1 because it's so new. :p

A movie that always makes me cry is grave of the fireflies. It's so sad.

NeoCracker
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM
You know what? The Cowboy Bebop Movie trumps all that list.
Were was Bebop? :cry:

Jessweeee♪
07-04-2009, 11:41 PM
What I meant by, "not as bad" was that Cars wasn't at #1 :|

Marshall Banana
07-05-2009, 12:12 AM

I'm really not sure how anyone can feel this way. :p Wall-E, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo are far, far more brilliant, thoughtful, touching, and meaningful than any other animated movies I've ever seen and, in fact, pretty much any other movies period. Regular Disney stuff, whilst often very good, is a lot more prosaic and uninspired, in my eyes.

I've never cried at any classic Disney - Finding Nemo and Wall-E make me cry every time. So I guess that's the easiest way of putting it :p

On another note, never really got the fuss about Miyazaki personally.
No way. Finding Nemo is way overrated; I hate it, actually. Wall-E is great/original/and then some, but in a cute, fleeting way, I think (I probably won't watch it again). A Bug's Life is a Pixar film, isn't it? I love that movie. I haven't watched The Incredibles or Monsters Inc., because they're so ugly (xD), even though I've heard great things about them, but Disney's older films have a greater impact on me. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who's favorite show is Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, though. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs makes me cry and laugh; Beauty and the Beast makes me cry and laugh; The Little Mermaid makes me laugh and made Jeremy want to cry once; The Lion King makes me cry and laugh; and Pocahontas makes me cry. Pretty much every classic Disney film has characters I love, music I love (most of the MP3s in my music player are Disney songs), and happy endings that I love. I LOVE FAIRY TALES!

Miyazaki movies are so MAGICAL! Do you know the scene in Howl's Moving Castle in which Sophie first meets Howl and the two of them walk in the sky above town? I get so happy and excited when I watch that scene (it's my favorite scene in the whole movie), and I've watched it dozens of times. It's so cool. =O

No movies make me as happy as The Little Mermaid and Howl's Moving Castle do. I go through phases in which I watch them over and over again for days and/or weeks. =O

Aerio
07-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I wrote a long paragraph or two - I tend to babble.

Instead I'll write this:

I liked Up, a lot.

NeoCracker
07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
The only Disney Movies I feel have lasted well are the Aladin Movies and Mulan.

Yes, I liked all the Aladdin Movies. :p

Marshall Banana
07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Disney Day?!

Name your favorite character, and I'll get your new avatar.

NeoCracker
07-05-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm going to say Mushu. ^_^

Marshall Banana
07-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I am ready, baby!

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/mushu.jpg

NeoCracker
07-05-2009, 01:20 AM
<3

Vyk
07-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I think its more of a popularity contest than a quality contest. Unfortunately those two things are not related :[

I'm surprised Transformers got mentioned lol

I'll take Pixar and Miyazaki over most classic Disney movies. But Dreamworks is very hit or miss. And a lot are miss. Kung Fu Panda was good though. And the Shrek movies. Something changed with Disney around the time of The Little Mermaid. That movie and the few following it were legendary. But I wouldn't have put anything "classic" Disney in there. Dunno how Lady and the Tramp made it. If I had to pick a classic I'd go with The Black Cauldron. I love that movie. Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast deserved to be on there

I should probably watch Up and see if its as good as its acclaimed to be. Though I didn't see Nemo on there. I dunno why but I couldn't enjoy that movie... Or Happy Feet which saddens me did make the list. Along with the Ice Age movies. How did they make it? Where's the other under budget wanna-bes like Over the Hedge or Hoodwinked or Open Range or whatever that bear movie was. Srsly. Half good. Some okay. Some that shouldn't have been on there

NeoCracker
07-05-2009, 03:03 AM
I love Nostalgia Chicks version of Little Mermaid. "She sold her soul for a vagina and a man she just met."

And another I thought of that could have made the cut, Fantasia. And what about Tiny Toons: How I spent my summer Vacation.