PDA

View Full Version : Late to the party

Rase
07-05-2009, 09:17 AM
So yeah, this summer I've finally picked up a PS2. Got back to a decent job and some money saved up again finally, so I really couldn't think of a reason not to buy a brand new slim for $100, especially when the local media trade-in store has tons of used games for under $20. Plowed through God of War 1 and 2 for the first time, beat Silent Hill 2 for the second time ever, beat Shadow of the Colossus again, and am now going through Dragon Quest VIII (this being my first entry in the series) and having a blast (all that goodness for about $175 mind you). Going to be starting on picking up the DMC games and MGS3 soon, so good times are ahead.

So, how about you? What games/systems/whatever have you been a late adopter for and why? For me before it was always a money issue; I could afford to have one system and Gameboy or DS, and probably get one game a month between the two and was fine with that. But yeah, the low price of the system and games combined with my steady income that allows me to still save plenty for the future has allowed me to finally get in on the action a mere 8 years later.

Go.

Momiji
07-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Dreamcast! I just bought one last year. I was told it had some really good arcade shmups, and well, it does! :D

BG-57
07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Actually I held off buying a PS2 for years because one stupid clerk told me that you couldn't play PS1 games with PS1 memory cards on a PS2.

Vyk
07-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm notoriously late to all generations for one system or another. I didn't get an SNES until well into Playstation's domination. PS1 and N64 were late, but the party wasn't over yet so they're not so bad. I was just as late getting a PS2 and even later getting an Xbox. It usually requires a worth while game and dramatic drops in system prices

But I think getting my SNES is the only one where I relate to going in after the party was over. A friend sold it to me dirt cheap 'cause he needed some money real bad

Rantz
07-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been a late adopter for every system I ever bought. :) I tend to buy a console when the next generation is out, at earliest. Except for my DS Lite, I suppose. It works well for me!

Tama2
07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Usually by the time Next-Gens come out the old generations have decent emus.

*Steals more :bou::bou::bou::bou:*

Vermachtnis
07-05-2009, 04:39 PM
It took me a while to get a PSP. I got it was FFT, Valkyrie Profile, and Harvest Moon.

Rase
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Dreamcast! I just bought one last year. I was told it had some really good arcade shmups, and well, it does! :D
I'm looking to get one of those by the end of this year as well. Pretty sure I saw some in a shop for like $80 or something.

Dreddz
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm generally pretty quick to enter a new generation of consoles. I just can't sit their and look at all the great games I'm missing out on. It did however take me around 10 years to pick up a Neo Geo after they first came out.

As for games, well I only just got around to beating both Call of Duty 4 and Uncharted recently. Both were a lot better than I had first thought, especially COD4.

qwertysaur
07-06-2009, 06:52 AM
It took me a while to get a PSP. I got it was FFT, Valkyrie Profile, and Harvest Moon.
I'm waiting for the dissidia Final Fantasy PSP bundle to get one. :p

Momiji
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm looking to get one of those by the end of this year as well. Pretty sure I saw some in a shop for like $80 or something.

Whoaaa, save your money. You can find them for like $25-40 online if you look hard enough.

Depression Moon
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Wait a minute are you serious here? Give me one second.

You never had a PS2 before this?

Shattered Dreamer
07-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Usually by the time Next-Gens come out the old generations have decent emus.

*Steals more :bou::bou::bou::bou:*

Yeah thanks to this lately I've been able to download & play all the PS1 games I very got to own!

Rase
07-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Wait a minute are you serious here? Give me one second.

You never had a PS2 before this?
Yep.