PDA

View Full Version : The Imposible Project

Rye
07-06-2009, 12:05 AM
The Impossible Project (http://www.the-impossible-project.com/)

Discuss.

I think it's really awesome and I'll try to donate a bit to their cause. Considering how expensive Polaroid film is (and honestly, has always been), it'll be nice for the price to ease down. To get a single pack of 10 pictures is over $20 dollars now. I'm hopeful now! I'm looking forward to snapping some Polaroids in England.

Aerith's Knight
07-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I could brainstorm and research into the technical stuff.. but I don't really feel like it.

Rye
07-06-2009, 12:22 AM
But you know, you'd be able to seduce every artistically inclined girl you meet, because we cream over polaroid photography.

You could just go up to her and say, "Hey, babicaeks, you like art? Well, I happened to help save the polaroid film from going extinct... what, you want to see my paintbrush? Okay, babe, let's go back to my place... :bigsmile:"

Aerith's Knight
07-06-2009, 12:23 AM

Well played.

Vyk
07-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Interesting. But you're the first person I've ever heard raving about polaroid. Since we can take bigger prettier digital pictures that can be editted to look vintage in about the time it takes for a polaroid to finally let you know if you even took a good pic

Rye
07-06-2009, 01:30 AM
I like the imperfections of polaroids. They're rather impromptu. Plus, I like to stick them on my wall. For digital photos, I'd rather use a digital picture frame.

Shlup
07-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Everyone I know is gay for Polaroids. I have one, but I only have one film set left for it, which is like... ten pictures.

I wish these people good luck!

Aerith's Knight
07-06-2009, 01:38 AM
The problem is that digital photographs have become higher in resolution than the original chemical photographs.

There are significant downsides:
- Poleroid film will have a lower resolution due to modifications for instant photographs
- One shot, one photo. There are no duplicates, no backup.
- Doubtful that they can get the price below the digital camera's

Mission impossible, indeed.

Meat Puppet
07-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Yes!! fetch me the homing pigeon <i>post-haste</i>

Levian
07-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Bring back the spice cam!

Miriel
07-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Interesting. But you're the first person I've ever heard raving about polaroid. Since we can take bigger prettier digital pictures that can be editted to look vintage in about the time it takes for a polaroid to finally let you know if you even took a good pic
So many people I know both within and without the photography industry mourned the death of Polaroid. It is very much a beloved medium.

Masters of photography like Paolo Roversi have created some of their best images using 8x10 Polaroid format, and that kind of image quality cannot be substituted or duplicated by digital.

- One shot, one photo. There are no duplicates, no backup.

That is not a downside.

Vyk
07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah. I can see the appeal that there is only one true photo, no negatives to create another and scans don't reproduce good quality. I've never heard of polaroids that big, but I don't do much research in the professional photography world. Still don't know if I'd trust a polaroid to give me the shot I want. But I guess if you have a good camera and know what you're doing. Though I've never heard of a high quality polaroid camera either. Just the typical polaroid brand with those 4x4'ish pictures

If it means that much to everyone then they have my well wishes. Good luck to the project. Hopefully I'll see something that opens my eyes to the potential

Fonzie
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
If it was good enough for Memento, then it's good enough for me. :p