PDA

View Full Version : The good old days vs the modern time

the AJman
07-06-2009, 02:46 AM
So what kind of a gamer do you consider yourself or what I should ask is what era of gaming do you prefer. Are you one of those that loved the old games from our past, the games that laid the foundations of the industry today. Perhaps you like the newer games with the high tech graphics and greater sound quailty.

So folks which is it?
:plotting:

Jessweeee♪
07-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Retro games suck.

:|

Bunny
07-06-2009, 02:54 AM
I get more enjoyment these days out of Wizardry V or Robotrek than I do out of the newer batches of games.

NeoCracker
07-06-2009, 03:20 AM
I love them both. :love:

ljkkjlcm9
07-06-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't get as much enjoyment from games now as I did when I was younger, but that's more a comment on me than the actual games. I think both retro games and today's games have their strong points and weak points.

THE JACKEL

Vermachtnis
07-06-2009, 06:20 AM
I keep buying ports and remakes of older games and games that are throwbacks to older games too. Where does that leave me?

Momiji
07-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I generally find older games to be more enjoyable than modern current-gen ones, in many cases.

qwertysaur
07-06-2009, 06:35 AM
I keep buying ports and remakes of older games and games that are throwbacks to older games too. Where does that leave me?
Confused. You then proceed to make a tower of game boxes and eat cheese covered in toast.

I like both, as long as the game is fun. :p

Moon Rabbits
07-06-2009, 07:25 AM
I love games that only have 2 dimensions.

The Unknown Guru
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I've always been a retro guy. Even now, I play retro-style games as much as I can. I <3 my SNES :D

I'm not one to shun something because it's new, though. Some new RPGs and MMOs are really good, and I'm glad I played them (Xenosaga cough cough).

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I like all games but my expectations are different now. Its why I come across as a person who hates new games cause I seem too judgmental but really, I feel like 20 years have passed and games should be blowing my mind left and right which is hardly the case.

I love my older systems, but I love current games as well. Hell, two of my fave games of all time were PS2 titles (P3 and MGS3) and I can look at most console generations and rattle off great games that I adore. Lately, I've moved full circle with my RPGs and find myself playing styles of games I haven't touched since the SNES days. ;)

Rantz
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM

ReloadPsi
07-06-2009, 11:27 AM
In the good old days there were:

No bad camera angles
No unskippable custcenes that, if you died fighting a boss, you'd have to watch again and again
No horrendous voice acting because the localisation team couldn't afford better talent
No ability to save every three seconds so that you could just cheese your way through a game
Genuine challenge in level design, rather than the game being hard because the camera angles were bad
No pretentious symbolism from wannabe movie directors that flunked out of film school and went into game design instead

Guessed where I see myself yet?

Retro games suck.

You've just been kidgloved by the easier games of today and are bitter about sucking at the older ones.

scrumpleberry
07-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Vyk
07-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I'm more of a mid-life video games type of person. Most of my favorite games came right after the revolution of 32-bit. Where companies were still into experimenting with wild ideas, and were introduced with the power of systems to take those ideas farther. And I guess either things didn't cost as much or CEOs were more willing to agree to risk wild ideas. Most of my favorite games were PS1/2, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, and old PC games. A lot of SegaCD games too. They were all born and built on top of foundations laid in 8 and 16 bit days. Unlike today when they keep trying to re-invent everything, trying to stay hip or have state of the art graphics with no worries on gameplay mechanics

Quindiana Jones
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Some old games suck. I prefer the good new games to them. Some new games suck. I prefer the good old games to them.

Madame Adequate
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I like games that are fun.

Shoeberto
07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I find myself most nostalgic for the 90s era of gaming, primarily PC games. The level of experimentation happening then is really thrilling to me.

Depression Moon
07-06-2009, 09:02 PM
From Brookhaven to PS3, 360, and Wii. If it's good I love them all.