PDA

View Full Version : The Memorial Service for...

Unbreakable Will
07-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Michael Jackson. Have any of you seen what they are doing? They gave tickets away to it, it has to be the oddest thing I've ever seen for a dead person. Yeah he was the King of Pop and all, and I liked some of his music, but c'mon... So what are your thoughts on a ridiculously large memorial service for a dead music star? :confused:

Momiji
07-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Some people are selling their tickets on eBay. I heard one is over $150,000 at the moment.

It's ridiculous that they're having some huge elaborate funeral, but whatever works for them, I guess.

Bunny
07-07-2009, 06:27 AM
They've gotta make his fake death profitable somehow so he can come back and get himself out of debt.

McLovin'
07-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I demand a Billy Mays memorial.

Yar
07-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Seriously I'm tired of all this bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: I'm hearing like "omg he was just a pop star idk what all the fuss is about."

Madame Adequate
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
A perk of fame is that you get an awesome and massive funeral. It's just the way of things.

Unbreakable Will
07-07-2009, 02:33 PM
They've gotta make his fake death profitable somehow so he can come back and get himself out of debt.
Indeed :plotting:

KoShiatar
07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I think the family's trying to cash in.
I'm more with the mother, who would have preferred something more private and dignified. It's a circus.

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I've heard it was to help cover the massive debt that he was in.

Momiji
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Seriously I'm tired of all this bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: I'm hearing like "omg he was just a pop star idk what all the fuss is about."

Ultimately, that is true, though. He was a pop star, albeit one that was a major influence to pop music and modern music as we know it. That said, he wasn't some superhuman being. He was born, lived, and died just as we all do. He just had a very different life compared to how the rest of us live.

Garnie
07-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I think it's mad that there taking his body to the staples center. I mean it's just really bad. why cant the memorial go on without it. He should be buried.

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 06:03 PM
So I see:

"SPECIAL REPORT"

And I guess just naturally I think something really serious happened, like something to do with the war or something.

Yeah...

"WE'RE HERE AT THE STAPLES CENTER.."

Now some of my shows are cut off...

I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but if I really gave a damn about MJ -that- much I'd be down there now, I wouldn't be sitting on my ass wanting to watch soap operas instead of thinking about MJ's funeral.

Momiji
07-07-2009, 07:30 PM
My mom and I counted 14 different channels the funeral is on. She was kind of mad her soap operas were canceled for the coverage of the funeral, but we've been watching it all the same :p

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
My mom and I counted 14 different channels the funeral is on. She was kind of mad her soap operas were canceled for the coverage of the funeral, but we've been watching it all the same :p

I WANT MY GENERAL HOSPITAL.

And I refuse to watch it, someone put it in a nice way:

"Micheal Jackson brought good to the world over 10 years ago, and we're acting like he was some kind of messiah put onto this earth and that his death is something that we, as the general public, are going to need closure on. That we, as the adults we are, can't handle that someone who affected the world over 10 years ago has died."

Garland
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
What's annoying about the whole death is all the false fans it created. Michael Jackson was a has-been. Nobody gave a damn about his music for 25 years, 20 if you're feeling kind. His music wasn't being played. Now everyone's his biggest fan? A couple weeks ago, the guy was a pedophile, now he's a god. I hear Jackson's album sales have increased by numbers upwards of 700%. I can only imagine the sale of rose colored glasses rose by 10,000%.

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM
What's annoying about the whole death is all the false fans it created. Michael Jackson was a has-been. Nobody gave a damn about his music for 25 years, 20 if you're feeling kind. His music wasn't being played. Now everyone's his biggest fan? A couple weeks ago, the guy was a pedophile, now he's a god. I hear Jackson's album sales have increased by numbers upwards of 700%. I can only imagine the sale of rose colored glasses rose by 10,000%.

I think some news I watched said that like three CD's have sold over 100,000 more albums since he had died.

And I totally know what you mean though, like I only knew of him because my parents had his cds, and so I would listen to them.

Fucking miley cyrus was saying how he was such a big influence on her and that she will be eternally heartbroken, if he wasn't for him she wouldn't be able to put out the music she does today.

She's not even 18 yet, she shows nothing of micheal jackson influence. It's just at this point you're going rto look like a freak if you don't say he didn't influence you or that MJ's death isn't really a big deal to you.

"Oh hey, where'd the war go? I guess we'll forget about everyone dying everyday, or all the problems in the world. Starvation, Disease, Screw that! MJ just died!"

Fonzie
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Celebrities come before world events, you guys should know this. :p

Serapy
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
The memorial was emotional for me.

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 08:53 PM

I could probably watch it and cry, but I don't agree with how this is being done.

I cry at any death, in the movies, tv, just the news saying someone died.
That sucks, but it doesn't need to be glorified on TV like that.

Oh hey! In 4 hours, you can watch MORE about the funeral! And then you get to hear about the messy custody battle! What are we going to do1?

MJN SEIFER
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

And me.

Seriously (and this to everyone else, not Serapy) I don't see what you're problem with how it was done, I just watched the whole entire thing and I thought it was beutifully done. Michael Jackson is and always will be an iconic person to me, and many other people - I understand that not everyone liked him, but let the fans pay their respects. And I don't know where some of you are getting "false fans" from. People did care about Michael Jackson, he was still being talked about, even before the comebacks where mentioned, countless tribute acts, and releases. Even when the trials where going the general majroity in the real world (i.e. not what the media presented) had a positive coment on him. And it wansn't glorified, it was just a genuine service to someone who died.

And whatever your opinion of both Michael, and the way he was protraid today. I want you to understand, that my respect for him, as a singer and a person, is completly genuine, I have been a fan of Michael Jackson's since I was a child, I was his fan when he "stopped" I was his fan when the bad press, and lies started, I am his fan, even though he is dead.

black orb
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
>>> Wow, Stevie Wonder was there and even singed, it was a great memorial/tribute.
Well deserved MJ.

Depression Moon
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I thought there would be a little more respect here. In all regards humans should look more in the better of people than the worse. What holds us back is the negativity and hatred. I see no harm in a memorial service for the man. Michael wouldn't have probably mind that the world would be able to see him off live and have his freinds and family pay respects to him. I always try to stay on good moral standards.There are no benefits in criticizing others. The vice comments of others just vexes me and saddens me. It's like a dagger to the heart with the life fluid dripping down my chest stinging and slowly dripping onto the floor.

I was moved by that memorial. Al Sharpton was a good speaker and what he said he said it well. Mariah Carey, Usher, John Mahen (I believe that's his name forgive me if I am wrong), Shaheen, and the others performances were great and stunning. It was good to hear from Kobe and Magic. Also from Barry Gordon and Sheila Jackson.

What probably got me the most were Michael's sibling's speeches and his daughter. I really don't know any humans that have a tinge of kindness in their heart not to well up when they saw her grab the mike and speak about her lost father. I salute a man that was able to move many people and also help many across this world that were less fortunate than he was. May he forever rest in peace.

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone but I just have a very traditional mindset when it comes to funerals.

What played out there, could have very well played out at a concert. Minus the people talking about his life, it seemed like an MTV video music awards. Every time I switched over to it, it was people cheering, singing, dancing, screaming excitedly.

If he wanted it like that, good for him, I just can't take a death seriously when people are singing and dancing.

He didn't go out with a bang, those people sent him off with a bang, they could have done it without a televised funeral and selling tickets.

Again, I have nothing against him, but I have everything against the way his "tribute' played out.

scrumpleberry
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Oh my god his daughter ;;

Also why why why do people think that he was only an 70s-80s staple check it bitches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIStory:_Past,_Present_and_Future,_Book_I) this was a really big album. He didn't die out or become pathetic for the past 20 years. He did A LOT. I don't understand why you're going OH YEAH SURE EVERYONE CARES NOW HE'S DEAD GOSH HE WASN'T SO GREAT.

Depression Moon
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone but I just have a very traditional mindset when it comes to funerals.

What played out there, could have very well played out at a concert. Minus the people talking about his life, it seemed like an MTV video music awards. Every time I switched over to it, it was people cheering, singing, dancing, screaming excitedly.

If he wanted it like that, good for him, I just can't take a death seriously when people are singing and dancing.

He didn't go out with a bang, those people sent him off with a bang, they could have done it without a televised funeral and selling tickets.

Again, I have nothing against him, but I have everything against the way his "tribute' played out.

You must not have been to many black funerals or memorial. All the ones I've been too they have some singing and dancing from the choir. well not necessarily the funerals those usually have one person singing, but the memorials do which is a different thing. Even back from my grandmother's day. It's not mocking the dead, it's just a form of expression.

Garnie
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Everyone has different views and i agree with the pro's and con's.

I'll admit it here and now! I loved MJ since i was 5. I'v always loved him but unfortunately (because of the bad press and such like) I was a closet fan for the past 6 years. Every now and then in that time i would stand up and say.."yes! I love MJ he's a fantastic singer and a great humanitarian. I even was giving the results of his case on #eoff, because i couldn't quite believe that he was a pedo. and a few were also of the same opinion.

there's always gonna be people who still think he's a criminal and shouldn't have been respected at all. there's those who think he should. theirs a lot of people now willing (like me) to admit that they loved him, and will scream till there blue in the face that they have never once been ashamed to admit. the truth is though that like me, they were for a little while.

now that he's gone, more and more people are saying " i love you MJ and i'm sooo gonna miss you!!" and like Avarice-ness said that most of these people are jumping on the band wagon. that is true, but these people could just be a closeted fan like me, and now there allowed to say that they did love MJ. I dont know if all of the things he was accused of were true. I dont think they were but i wasn't there. All i can say is that people are always gonna remember him for the best times not the worst.
Whether we like it or not.

shaheen sung it better then MJ. Don't cha think?

Avarice-ness
07-07-2009, 11:04 PM

You must not have been to many black funerals or memorial services. All the ones I've been too they have some singing and dancing from the choir. well not necessarily the funerals those usually have one person singing, but the memorials do which is a different thing. Even back from my grandmother's day. It's not mocking the dead, it's just a form of expression.

I've never been to a black funeral, nor have I ever heard or them being like this.
I'm used to the traditional quiter funerals, you mourn them in the actual funeral then you go to a reception like deal and then have your tribute.

scrumpleberry
07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
also stevie wonder was brilliant with a capital EVERYTHING

John Mayer was pretty excellent too. Who was that azn girl who led everyone in the finale bit?

Depression Moon
07-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I think she was half asian and half black because of her hair and some of her facial features. Don't know who she was though. Like to have heard from Janet as well, but probably too painful for her to speak on his behath for a second time.

shaheen sung it better then MJ. Don't cha think?

I think he was just as good.

Bunny
07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
I just read in a tabloid that he was killed by a group of people who were trying to steal all his money away from him.

I hear Billy Mays was involved in the plot!

Momiji
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Aside from Stevie Wonder's performance and the final words from MJ's siblings and daughter, I didn't feel like I was watching a funeral. It was weird. However, the previously mentioned parts made me well up a bit... well, a lot.

Even if I wasn't a fan, it's hard to contemplate the loss of a life and the feelings of those left behind without some touch of sadness and empathy.

Rocket Edge
07-08-2009, 12:07 AM
I couldn't help but feel that it was extremely cheesy up until the final moments. When his family & close friends talked it was very real. I really felt for his family, and I feel a great loss in MJ's death. May he rest in peace, and his family live in it.

Marshall Banana
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
There are always people who complain about the attention celebrity deaths get, for some reason. =O

I mean, their deaths happen only once.

Avarice-ness
07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
There are always people who complain about the attention celebrity deaths get, for some reason. =O

Any death only happens once, but death is suppose to bring you down to the normal human level that we can all associate with.

Even the TV guide channel, while showing bits of the funeral talked about that there were even seat fillers like they have at the oscars or emmy's for people who couldn't make it, and that this was a very entertainment based event.
Etertainment event shouldn't be something to discribe a funeral.

Marshall Banana
07-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Says who? My relatives' funerals are basically just family reunions where people eat a lot of food, preach, and play folksy music. Some have a good time ("entertainment").

Celebrities have thousands or millions of fans. Most people don't.

Shlup
07-08-2009, 01:27 AM
I saw the part where his daughter said she loved him and it made me sad. ;_________________________;

ETA:
Meanwhile, in a secret location...

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/coolsaber57/Jackson_popcorn.gif

kekeke, I feel better now xD

Marshall Banana
07-08-2009, 02:49 AM
XD

Meat Puppet
07-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Well, he was quite dedicated to entertainment, after all.

NeoCracker
07-08-2009, 04:18 AM

Any death only happens once, but death is suppose to bring you down to the normal human level that we can all associate with.

Even the TV guide channel, while showing bits of the funeral talked about that there were even seat fillers like they have at the oscars or emmy's for people who couldn't make it, and that this was a very entertainment based event.
Etertainment event shouldn't be something to discribe a funeral.

I don't quite agree with that philosophy. Why mourn their deaths when you can celebrate their lives? A cheery, upbeat funeral is a far superior option to me. I know I won't want a mass gathering after my death just so people can cry. Feeling sad would be inevitable, but I'd much rather the focus be on the positive.

That being said, they charged people to see the funeral? REally? I can't help but wonder if they charged family too?

Renmiri
07-08-2009, 04:19 AM
RIP

May he find the peace that eluded him in life.

Momiji
07-08-2009, 05:34 AM
That being said, they charged people to see the funeral? REally? I can't help but wonder if they charged family too?

It could possibly go toward MJ's $400mil debt. :erm:

Marshall Banana
07-08-2009, 05:39 AM

XD

Rye
07-08-2009, 05:57 AM
My Dad expected Michael Jackson to jump out of his coffin and do Thriller as a real zombie on top of it.

Seriously though, it's sweet and sad to see the kids being sincere.

Garnie
07-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Entertainment event shouldn't be something to describe a funeral.

It wasn't a funeral, it was a memorial. I understand what you mean though, it was quite glitzy but it was also very respectful. and lets face facts people! This was MJ were talking about! I cant think of anyone alive today that was bigger then him! Not even the queen.

I saw the part where his daughter said she loved him and it made me sad. ;_________________________;

ETA:
Meanwhile, in a secret location...

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww38/coolsaber57/Jackson_popcorn.gif

kekeke, I feel better now xD

he he he he he he he he he he he he he...that made me lol!

Breine
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
My Dad expected Michael Jackson to jump out of his coffin and do Thriller as a real zombie on top of it.

Seriously though, it's sweet and sad to see the kids being sincere.

My friend was joking about that as well. But not quite as a zombie, but more as a dead body controlled to dance with the help from marionette doll strings. Disturbing indeed.

Anyway, I thought the memorial was nice. I liked many of the speeches (particularly Brooke Shields's), and I thought it was emotional when the entire family took the stage in the end. Weird actually seeing his kids (who are usually masked), and then terribly sad to hear his daughter saying those things and crying. Heart-breaking.

Avarice-ness
07-08-2009, 04:35 PM

Yeah I heard that was the purpose of why it was done the way it was done, his mom wanted something more private..

But if you think about it, selling seats, networks buying rights to air it, merchandise, it would prolly really help the debt.

Garnie
07-08-2009, 05:29 PM

Yeah I heard that was the purpose of why it was done the way it was done, his mom wanted something more private..

But if you think about it, selling seats, networks buying rights to air it, merchandise, it would prolly really help the debt.

I thought that the seats were free? Wasn't there a online lottery where only so many fans could win the tickets. the only profits made from tickets were the ones people were selling on ebay, and it would have been impossible for them to attend it as they needed the wristbands.

Avarice-ness
07-08-2009, 05:53 PM

I thought that the seats were free? Wasn't there a online lottery where only so many fans could win the tickets. the only profits made from tickets were the ones people were selling on ebay, and it would have been impossible for them to attend it as they needed the wristbands.

From what I heard you had to pay for seats, that's why they had seat fillers for people who couldn't make it. Seat Fillers sit in the seats for people who couldn't come, so someone couldn't just come up and sit in them because it's not the seat they paid for. Closer seats = more money.
If it was a free event there wouldn't be need for seat fillers because everyone would have an equal chance for a seat.
Last night on ET, they talked about the seat fillers and how it was like the emmy's and what not, so it's definitely confirmed there were seat fillers there.

As for the e-bay, I heard people bought tickets and THEN -SCALPED- them on ebay.

Miriel
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
No, you didn't have to pay for seats. But it wasn't just a free event, that would have been nuts and crazy. Can you imagine how many people would have stormed the Staples Center? A few days before the memorial, you had to enter your name/email in a drawing in order to *win* tickets. Only the person who entered and presented themselves with a valid ID could get their tickets. Each person was given two tickets, so the second ticket could have been sold since that one wasn't attached to a name.

Unbreakable Will
07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
^ I saw that, I had been under the assumption that they had sold the tickets.

My personal thoughts on it are this: Michael Jackson was a dedicated, incredible entertainer. His personal life was lonely, and depressing (I blame his father...douchebag needs to burn in a hotter spot in hell) thats why I find the song You Are Not Alone depressing, because nobody told him that ya know? The memorial service was a little ridiculous in my opinion, but only because I think the casket should not have been there. He should have been put to rest. I was never a huge fan, but I find that I appreciate his music a little more now that he's gone, it's kind of like a realization that there will be no more MJ music. Does anyone get that?

And yes I know I ramble :P

Bunny
07-09-2009, 10:58 PM
So apparently the memorial service cost 1.4 million dollars and LA is asking for donations to cover the cost.

Quindiana Jones
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Apprently they've sold his death certificate too. I'm pretty sure his body has disappeared for organ harvesting too. Hopefully they don't try to reuse the heart.

Too.

Avarice-ness
07-09-2009, 11:27 PM
So apparently the memorial service cost 1.4 million dollars and LA is asking for donations to cover the cost.

Yeah I saw that, I also saw that alot of people worried that if people don't donate that much, that it's going to come out of their paychecks in taxes.

No offense... but no one's that awesome as to were people have to pay for their death in taxes.

Rolling stone online says:

As a result, mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has asked fans to give tax-deductible donations to the city of Los Angeles to help cover the roughly $3.8 million necessary to make the memorial service and all the security involved a reality, My Fox L.A. reports.

I'm finding just as many sites that say 3.8 mil as I am 1.4 mil

According to MTV.com:

According to the Los Angeles Times, the city, which is $530 million in debt, is not likely to defer much of that cost through a PayPal donation site set up for public donations, which has collected only $17,000 to date.

to date = today

drotato
07-10-2009, 03:02 AM
If that's true, Quin... I wanna buy his voice box. D<

Will wants the dancing part of his brain, so he can learn all his dance moves. ;D

Unbreakable Will
07-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Indeed, if I had that dancing ability...I could have any woman in the world...oh wait, I already have the only important one, nevermind, I'll stick to my silly white boy moves. :D

Quindiana Jones
07-11-2009, 01:33 PM
MJ had white boy moves, and look at all the ladies he go-....oh, wait. Nevermind.

Unbreakable Will
07-11-2009, 02:22 PM
MJ had white boy moves, and look at all the ladies he go-....oh, wait. Nevermind.
Ladies and little boys... big difference o.0

Garnie
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
No, you didn't have to pay for seats. But it wasn't just a free event, that would have been nuts and crazy. Can you imagine how many people would have stormed the Staples Center? A few days before the memorial, you had to enter your name/email in a drawing in order to *win* tickets. Only the person who entered and presented themselves with a valid ID could get their tickets. Each person was given two tickets, so the second ticket could have been sold since that one wasn't attached to a name.

yah i thought so.

The way i think of it is that there was no way that if MJ died it would be a quiet private affair. It should have been, but lets face it, this was the most famous person in the world (my opinion)
Im probably right though...if you think about it, who is more famous then Michael Jackson? in this age i mean (barring Elvis)

Bunny
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM

yah i thought so.

The way i think of it is that there was no way that if MJ died it would be a quiet private affair. It should have been, but lets face it, this was the most famous person in the world (my opinion)
Im probably right though...if you think about it, who is more famous then Michael Jackson? in this age i mean (barring Elvis)

The Rolling Stones?

Michael Jackson was famous but hasn't been at his peak for a very long time. He was pretty insignificant nowadays and the only reason people are making such a big deal about him was because of how famous he was back in his heyday. I'm sorry, but there are lot more important people in the world nowadays than Michael Jackson and he should not have been giving the amount of media coverage that he was getting, especially with all the other :bou::bou::bou::bou: going on in the world during the time of his death.

Meat Puppet
07-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Like Jeff Goldblum