PDA

View Full Version : Guilt

Rye
07-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Do you feel guilt easily, EoFF?

When I was a young child, I felt guilt almost constantly. I'd feel guilty about the things I'd think, and I'd blurt them out, and they'd something be hurtful and cause me even more guilt. It made me so miserable for a number of years.

Now, I never seem to sweat the big things, but I feel extreme guilt about small mistakes. For example, my phone bill. My phone has a touch screen with auto-lock, but it's a bit temperamental and I have a million things jostling about in my pocketbook, so sometimes it'll get unlocked and will do a bit of butt dialing, though instead of dialing numbers, it likes to go online. I guess, doing this, it must have accidentally subscribed to some small thing or two, because the next bill was $10 more than usual, though at the time I wasn't aware of the accidental subscriptions. My Mom was a little annoyed until she discovered it was a mistake, and she just told me to be more careful.

Now, today, I got my new bill for the month, and it was still a few extra dollars in charges - and I finally discovered and canceled the subscriptions. I only owe $5 to my Mom for the extra charges, and it's nothing she'd even bring up, but I feel so guilty it's driving me crazy. I want to shake her awake and confess and give her money until she forgives me.

Yet, big things, I feel no guilt over. Just small things, and weird things like laughing at photos of people who are smiling - no matter how goofy the photo is, if they're smiling genuinely, I feel so guilty that I could cry if I laugh. I guess I'm just weird. :greenie:

NeoCracker
07-08-2009, 04:55 AM
I can't think of a time I"ve ever felt guilty actually. :p

Momiji
07-08-2009, 04:59 AM
I used to have a conscience that would make me literally feel ill if I didn't right a mistake I made.

Whether it's fortunate or not that I've adjusted to the self-nagging and basically told the angel on my shoulder to stuff it is subjective.

Jessweeee♪
07-08-2009, 05:13 AM
My parents tell me that I'd cry and punish myself for even thinking of doing anything wrong when I was little. This must have changed by the time I was three or four because for as long as I can remember I've been more concerned about whether or not I could get away with it rather than worrying about right and wrong.

Momiji
07-08-2009, 05:16 AM
My parents tell me that I'd cry and punish myself for even thinking of doing anything wrong when I was little. This must have changed by the time I was three or four because for as long as I can remember I've been more concerned about whether or not I could get away with it rather than worrying about right and wrong.

I was similar to that, in a way. When I was little, I used to have a conscience so strong that I'd have a breakdown whenever I was thinking of something even as simple as a bad word.

Rye
07-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Same here. It's the way my parents raised me. My Mom believed that the best way to be sure a child would be safe is to scare the ever loving christ out of the them so they're afraid of doing ANYTHING wrong. xD

Fonzie
07-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Same here. It's the way my parents raised me. My Mom believed that the best way to be sure a child would be safe is to scare the ever loving christ out of the them so they're afraid of doing ANYTHING wrong. xD

Good Lord, my parents did the same thing. :p

Tavrobel
07-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Mine employed dark closets and ruler hitting.

No, I don't feel guilt unless I've crossed several lines and broken a victim's toes by stepping on them without mercy.

Bunny
07-08-2009, 06:02 AM
I only feel guilty if what I've done involves a person I care about.

Which is to say I never feel guilty.

Vermachtnis
07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm not guilty at all. If I wrong someone I'll get whats coming to me, if nothing bad happens than they obviously deserved it and karma agrees.

Namelessfengir
07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
i used to feel guilty but then i realized that i dont give a damn

Araciel
07-08-2009, 06:53 AM
I recognize the word guilt but don't understand it fully. I don't often feel much guilt.

Levian
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I hate owing money and will go out of my way to repay it as soon as I can. If I don't, I'll forget it and then they'll hate me forever thinking I did it on purpose.

On the other hand I always forget what I borrow people so it's always a pleasant surprise when I get it back. It kinda sucks if we both forget about it, but I guess since I don't remember it, I won't be bothered by it either.

also, guilt is the worst disease eva. Everyone who's played Trauma Center knows that if you had guilt, you'd definitely feel it.

eestlinc
07-08-2009, 08:02 AM
are you Catholic? that's usually where guilt comes from. :D

I'm a horrible (as in ineffective) liar, so I must feel guilt when I do bad things.

G13
07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I used to think that I'd never do anything bad enough to feel guilty about, but when I did I realized that I don't feel guilty, and that makes me feel guilty.

~*~Celes~*~
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I used to be HORRIBLE about guilt. I still am, but not near as bad as when I was little.

Aerith's Knight
07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Every moment of guilt I experience in my life I carry with me, I can't seem to forget them for some reason. Kind of annoying, to be honest.

Luckely, moments of true guilt have been few.

Blue Harvest
07-08-2009, 10:59 AM
I never do anything to feel guilty about, except there's something I did to my cat when I was 9 that I still feel guilty about :(

Don't look at me like that, I didn't know then that cats hate water :(

Iceglow
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I used to feel guilty for things but then somewhere along the way I somehow went astray and stopped feeling guilt over anything at all. Sometimes in my past this has proven most useful to me and at other times I feel like I must be wrong in some mental balance sense since I don't get the concept of feeling guilty once a friend asked me if I felt guilty about the way I was being towards another "friend" and I explained I don't even understand the concept of guilt really anymore and they were just like :O :\

Garnie
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
i feel guilty for things that arn't even my fault
:(

Rantz
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I mostly feel guilty about not doing stuff I should be doing.

scrumpleberry
07-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I felt guilty until I realised that my parents aren't perfect either. Now my guilt slacks off a bit. Mainly I feel guilty when I think I've left someone who's upset or I can't think of a way to help them.

Shoeberto
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I was raised on guilt. When I did bad things as a little kid my discipline was to stand in the corner and think about what I did - and it worked extremely well. So, yeah, I can be guilted pretty easily. But I can turn it around, too.

Turkish Delight
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Everyone feels guilt, it's human nature. How each of us cope with that guilt is the difference.

Rye
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
are you Catholic? that's usually where guilt comes from. :D

I'm a horrible (as in ineffective) liar, so I must feel guilt when I do bad things.

Hahaha, someone asked me that recently when I was feeling really guilty about something. I was RAISED Catholic, so I guess they imparted their ways on me. xD

Peegee
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Negative emotions that are not reinforced positively are purged out of my system.

fire_of_avalon
07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
also, guilt is the worst disease eva. Everyone who's played Trauma Center knows that if you had guilt, you'd definitely feel it.
lol

I feel guilty about really weird stuff. I was in a restaurant once, ordered a filet mingion because I was like OMG FILTET or whatever and when it got there all I could think about was that my dad had never eaten this and my dad had never been in an airplane even though he wanted to be a pilot when he was a kid and he never got to go to Alaska and I started crying really hard and had to leave the restaurant.

I felt guilty yesterday because I was teasing one of my managers about how he lost me a 5 dollar bet by doing something and so he pulled $5 out of his wallet and handed it to me and I was like WTF NO take it back. So he did and I didn't feel guilty anymore.

Breine
07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I felt guilty this morning because I woke up at 8:01 AM, and I had to be at work at 8 AM. I literally ran out of the house, and was at work at maybe 8:10 or something. Fortunately they all (including my boss) laughed at me when I arrived, since I looked all confused and stuff. I hate being late! - makes me feel so, well.. guilty.

blackmage_nuke
07-08-2009, 04:53 PM
It was I who steal the cookie from the cookie jar, and I denied it and they never knew! I fell no guilt nor do I regret what I did! :mwahaha:

Caraliz
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I feel guilty almost all the time. Well, in my down time, before bed, I start thinking about all the bad things I've done in my life and I start to feel really bad. Sometimes I cry because it's just so intense. I hate the way I've led my life.

qwertysaur
07-09-2009, 12:40 AM
My parents raised me the Jewish way, so instead of Guilt I get Shame. :/

Rocket Edge
07-09-2009, 01:02 AM
I try to put myself in a position where I don't have to feel guilty about something, as guilt eats away at me.

drotato
07-09-2009, 03:31 AM
If I know I've done something wrong, then yes, I feel guilty soooo easily. It's almost unsettling. /:

I Took the Red Pill
07-09-2009, 03:36 AM
I feel guilty when I think about all the people in the world who haven't had the opportunities I've had, and I feel majorly guilty when I catch myself complaining about something stupid (:bou::bou::bou::bou: I'm out of weed, :bou::bou::bou::bou: I don't want to get out of bed and go to class today), as my problems are literally nothing compared to the plights of the less fortunate.