PDA

View Full Version : Are IE8 or FireFox free? (IMPORTANT to me)

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need to know, if at least one of these internet explorers can be downloaded free? (and kept) - I ask because YouTube will be removing support for my browser (IE6 I think) soon, which probably means I won't be able to use YouTube anymore, and I love YouTube (and it helps me out a lot).

Please help.

trancekuja
07-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Both are free but I strongly recommend Firefox

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Thankyou. I apreciate your answer. (releived)

qwertysaur
07-09-2009, 09:32 PM
The top four web browsers are all free and each have their pros and cons. Just go to their website, and download whichever one you want. I recommend trying a bunch out and sticking with the one you like the most. Here's my own opinion on them

IE 8: It is what you are used to, so thats a plus. But I really don't like IE, so thats all I have to say about it.

Firefox 3: The best thing about Firefox is the adaptability it has. You can download many addons such as the Furigana injector if you are learning Japanese, or the Down them all which is useful for renaming and converting filetypes as you download them in quick suggestion. (ex you want to save an online photo album). Also is open source. Also has a built in spell check whish I love. (I use Firefox so thas why it has the longest section. Yay Bias!)

Safari 4: It looks like a Mac. Thats the pro and the con.

Google Chrome: This browser is also very adaptable, and is open source as well. Additionally saying it is fast is an understatement. I only used it once, so I can't say too much about it. :/

rubah
07-09-2009, 09:49 PM
IE8 isn't free:p you have to own a recent copy of windows

Namelessfengir
07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
firefox has a youtube video downloader addon i put a list of four formats under the embed options so you can download the video your watching straight to your harddrive

then theres stumbleupon damn good addon

heres firefox download
firefox at filehippo (http://www.filehippo.com/download_firefox/5754/)

trancekuja
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
you have to own a recent copy of windows
:shifty:

MJN SEIFER
07-09-2009, 11:29 PM

I have XP on this computer and my Laptop, my new one will have Vista I think. Are they alright?

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2009, 12:06 AM

I have XP on this computer and my Laptop, my new one will have Vista I think. Are they alright?

It will work fine on those :spin:

o_O
07-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah, you'll be fine with XP or Vista. They might stop you from downloading it if you pirated Windows, but from the sounds of it your copies are legit.

Allow me also to recommend Firefox. I'd have no problem recommending the 3.6 pre alpha build, judging by how stable it's been for me. If you decide to go for Google Chrome then may I suggest getting SRWare Iron instead. If you read the EULA for Chrome, you'll notice that by installing it you're giving Google permission to access your browsing patterns etc. Iron is a build of Chrome with a more recent rendering engine and the "big brother" stuff cut out of it.

Namelessfengir
07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
ie8 for xp (http://www.filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/)

NeoTifa
07-10-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need to know, if at least one of these internet explorers can be downloaded free? (and kept) - I ask because YouTube will be removing support for my browser (IE6 I think) soon, which probably means I won't be able to use YouTube anymore, and I love YouTube (and it helps me out a lot).

Please help.

WTF?! Jeebus! What are you doing with that ancient piece of crap?! FF kills my computer but other than that they both are free. I'd try IE8 but FF has a lot of sweet features (which, as I said, kill your comp)

Don't attempt to play L4D while having FF open. It'll lag out.

Namelessfengir
07-10-2009, 03:08 AM
@tif what kind of pos you running that you get burned by firefox??? grab firetune and fix it, you can configure it for a slow computer/fast computer slow/fast connection. i rigged it to run better for dial up on xp and on my vista its set for high performance

i also have firefox portable on my external harddrive so i dont have to use ie6 and :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty resolution at the library .... cant even open tabs on ie6 ..... disgraceful

NeoTifa
07-10-2009, 04:28 AM
It's not a pos, actually. It's a laptop and it's fucking sweet. FF just seems to kill my comp for some reason, expecially when I try to run that and L4D at the same time :p

Slothy
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
It's not a pos, actually. It's a laptop and it's smurfing sweet. FF just seems to kill my comp for some reason, expecially when I try to run that and L4D at the same time :p

Unless you bought a gaming laptop, then I'm not surprised that L4D would kill your ability to use something else at the same time. That said, I never understand why people feel the need to have a browser window open while playing a game. If you're playing the game, then you're not really going to have time for anything else, and alt+tabbing would take a few seconds anyway.

As for which browser to get, I strongly recommend Firefox and Chrome. Firefox just has tons of cool add ons and is the most functional browser I've ever used. Chrome is a little more utilitarian, fast, and to my knowledge, one of if not the most secure browser out there.

Shoeberto
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Firefox can be a resource hog. On my old computer it would start to kill my system if I left it open for too long, and playing games with it open was a definite no-go. It's not a problem on my new one, but then again, it's a quad-core with 4 gigs of RAM.

It kinda becomes moot if you just close Firefox now and again, though, and make it just re-open your old tabs when you start up.

The Space Pope
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Firefox isn't a resource hog, it has a memory leak. If I leave it idle for more than a few hours it will take well over 650k of memory. Just save the tabs before closing it, wait 10 seconds and then reopen it. IE isn't nearly as fast (this makes a big difference when you're using a PC that has a slow connection to begin with) and has the security of a 13 year old fat girl.

I've heard alot of hype about google chrome but if I use it then the terrorists win.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I like Firefox due to the customizeability, and in general I've been using it long enough that it is just what's familiar to me.

Like half a year ago I occasionally used Opera. Wasn't that bad, still prefer Firefox but at the time it was quite nice had some good features though I remember something you could do in IE and FF, they had yet to incorporate it in Opera, or at least the version I had at the time.

Timekeeper
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who gagged at the mention of IE6, let alone some using it :(

I honestly prefer FF, as I have some sweet add-ons that let me download pretty much anything, but I too seem to find that it tries to use excessive amounts of memory...
To combat this I use Chrome for regular browsing, as it's so clean and uncluttered and then when I want to download some music or stuff from youtube I use FF :)