PDA

View Full Version : I thought of something

The Last Oath
07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
This may contain SPOILERS.

While strolling through the FF wiki this came to me. Deep Sea Deposit is the ruins of a location from FFVII, most likely City of the Ancients. I'll try to keep why I think so, short.

1. The FF wiki states on the draw point page (i think its that page, but it does state it somewhere), that somewhere in the FFVIII world, there is an extremely large draw point. It says that the researchers at the Deep Sea Research Centre were looking for this specific draw point.

Now, FFVIII was created after FFVII, so FFVII would have been fresh in the minds of the creators. Draw points are a reference to the lifestream. Materia is known to materalise from the lifestream and you can draw magic from draw points. Therefore, draw points is the lifestream.

2. After you get passed the last steam door in the Deep Sea Deposit, there is a lot of old ruins that you traverse before you get to the bottom. These have a resemblence to the City of the Ancients. (take note to sea shells, etc)

3. In FFVII, it states that the WEAPONS, sleep deep inside the earth. The final boss in the Deep Sea Deposit is right at the bottom, and this location is quite deep in the FFVIII world, right underneath the ocean. Close to the core of the earth (FFVII)

4. Ultima Weapon has Cloud's Ultima Weapon.

So, what do you think?

Subtling done on purpose by the creators? I think they intended draw points to be an offspring of the lifestream.

Sword
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
This would be no more than a REFERENCE to FFVII. If it was the same world, then the map would have similarities, there would be visible lifestream that far into the ground, there would be talk of monsters coming from the moon in FFVII and the mechanics behind the use of magic in both worlds are completely different. Also there is the fact that Cloud's Ultima Weapon is a lot smaller than the one in FFVIII and Ultima Weapon looks completely different.

MJN SEIFER
07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
This would be no more than a REFERENCE to FFVII. If it was the same world, then the map would have similarities, there would be visible lifestream that far into the ground, there would be talk of monsters coming from the moon in FFVII and the mechanics behind the use of magic in both worlds are completely different. Also there is the fact that Cloud's Ultima Weapon is a lot smaller than the one in FFVIII and Ultima Weapon looks completely different.

it's up for debate but the two world maps do look similar, as do the swords in my opinion.

The Last Oath
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, there are two major continents on the east and west of each world. The area around Shumi village is like the northern continent....

There is a massive crater on the trabia continent too.

And the sword that Ultima Weapon has in FFVIII IS the same weapon cloud has. There are many sources. Im preety sure I saw that on the wiki too..

Serapy
07-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Jenova ... sense any similarity?

The Last Oath
07-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I thought of that too, but I wasnt gonna bring it up unless someone brought it up. Since you did;

5) Jenova crash landed from space and made a massive crater in FFVII. The crater on Trabia of which Serapy and I speak is a referance to the northern crater, or perhaps THE northern crater.

SIMILARITY
In FFVIII, monster swarm from the moon and crash land on the earth. There is crater in Trabia (Jenova made a crater in FFVII via crash land) that these monsters caused. This also occured in the Centra continent. (which brings up something else, I believe the ancient race of Centra are in FFVII too).

Sword
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
(which brings up something else, I believe the ancient race of Centra are in FFVII too).
No that's Cetra.

It doesn't matter about any similarities you come up with. The fact remains that the mechanics behind the use of magics in both worlds are different. In FF7 the thoughts of the ancients remain in the lifestream after they die and when the lifestream solidifies into materia regular people can use certain magic while in possession of certain materia. However in FF8 initially only sorceresses could use magic (and sorceresses are decended from the Great Hyne). Then Dr. Odine finds a way of refining magic from sorceresses and makes it into a usable, consumable form (he invents "para-magic"). This point alone means that they can't be the same world.

That and the fact that the summon monsters look different.

It was just squaresoft making tribute to themselves.

The Last Oath
07-11-2009, 05:28 PM
That point makes sense.

Skyblade
07-11-2009, 11:25 PM
It was just squaresoft making tribute to themselves.

Again. This is hardly the first FF to have similarities in the plot or world to previous ones.

MJN SEIFER
07-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Since squaresoft never said whether ir not atleast some of the FF worlds are the same, or not it is up to debate.

And I can see some strong simularities between the 7th and 8th , worlds.

To Last Oath: I will have to do some research, but I like how you think here.

To Sword: Again this is up to debate, there is every chance that what yu are saying may support both sides. Note that the magic usage may be different but they are similar. Almost as if they where meant to co exist.

These are just theories I am posting, infact they are barley even theories yet, they need a lot more research.

Elly
07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
none and i repeat none of the FF worlds are the same world except for a couple within their own canon... only Gaia from the FFVII Compilation, Spira from FFX project, & Ivalice from any game by the Ivalice Alliance are consistant with other games but only within their own canon... each numbered game is not a sequal of the prior some billion years later, they are each their own worlds within the FF universe, but the creators did leave a few leading hints that they are all within the same universe though...

The Last Oath
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
My purpose for this thread was to point out these similarities and build on the evidence. Its a theory. It can be argued against too.

Elly: Same universe sounds interesting.

Sword
07-12-2009, 05:28 PM
none and i repeat none of the FF worlds are the same world except for a couple within their own canon... only Gaia from the FFVII Compilation, Spira from FFX project, & Ivalice from any game by the Ivalice Alliance are consistant with other games but only within their own canon... each numbered game is not a sequal of the prior some billion years later, they are each their own worlds within the FF universe, but the creators did leave a few leading hints that they are all within the same universe though...

I can't see how how they are even in the same universe. Going back to my earlier posts, it's like saying the physics behind sound/light behave differently somewhere else in the universe. :eep:

Elly
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
yes but we are talking about fantasy & magic here and both are well known to break the laws of physics and logic... every solar system could possibly have severely different laws of physics based on a myriad of factors but still originate form the same galaxy or group of galaxies per universe, the universe is infinite as opposed to a solar system or galaxy...

Sword
07-12-2009, 07:27 PM
yes but we are talking about fantasy & magic here and both are well known to break the laws of physics and logic... every solar system could possibly have severely different laws of physics based on a myriad of factors but still originate form the same galaxy or group of galaxies per universe, the universe is infinite as opposed to a solar system or galaxy...

But that doesn't make sense. Why would even magic behave differently just because they're far away. This includes things like what happens to people when they die too.

P.S. Physics don't behave differently in different parts of the universe either.

Shattered Dreamer
07-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I've always thought that each Final Fantasy game has its own universe parallel to all the other Final Fantasy games universe's (if that makes any sense) This explains any similarities in the universe of each game.

MJN SEIFER
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM

Elly, calm down. As far as I know, this is open to debate, as Square have never stated openly that the FFs are not of the same world, nor did they openly state that they where. The same can be said with your universe belief (which I do like). The hints could easily be saying they shared a world just as much as it could hint towards the same univers - for instance I see a lot of "evidence" that at least the 7th and 8th world could be same, if only indirectly. And I don't mean just because the map looks similar.

I've always thought that each Final Fantasy game has its own universe parallel to all the other Final Fantasy games universe's (if that makes any sense) This explains any similarities in the universe of each game.

Yes, this very close to my own theories on this. I know I keep saying I'll post them, but I will, I just need time to get them proffesionally written.

Maybe Square don't have a propper answer? Maybe they made it so each FF would be seppearte enough if their fans wanted to believe they weren't the same world, and close enough if fans wanted to believe they were? Like I say I don't think they themselves ever commented on it.

Ouch!
07-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Or we can just go with the logical assumption: Square Enix reuses certain themes and icons throughout to create unity amongst a series of games which all share the same name. These shared themes and icons help the consumer identify a Final Fantasy title, which, in turn, sells copies and makes more money for the company.

Really now. It's not that difficult.

Sword
07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Or we can just go with the logical assumption: Square Enix reuses certain themes and icons throughout to create unity amongst a series of games which all share the same name. These shared themes and icons help the consumer identify a Final Fantasy title, which, in turn, sells copies and makes more money for the company.

Really now. It's not that difficult.

Everyone should heed Ouch's words. *nods*

BG-57
07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
I noticed Cloud's sword held by FFVIII UW years ago. But it's most likely a cameo.

I don't subscibe to theory that all the FF worlds are one place, but I will say that there can't be fewer than three: Gaia, Ivalice, and Spira. Most likely as many worlds as games in the series, minus sequels and spin-offs.

Elly
07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Ouch! hit it right on the head...
i am calm seifer, always was, lol...

MJN SEIFER
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I appologize Elly. :)