PDA

View Full Version : i'm donating blood on monday

Jowy
07-11-2009, 07:39 PM
have you ever donated blood? i did for the first time over the winter.

Tama2
07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I did once. It's a good thing you're doing.

Rye
07-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm wayyyy too terrified. Good for you!

rubah
Yeeppppppppppppp

it was a horrible experience! but I was glad in the end xD

qwertysaur
No. My phobia of needles gets in the way because I'll probably have an anxiety attack waiting for the person to start the donation. :(

But I have a good deal of respect for everyone who does donate blood.

Fonzie
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I couldn't because my weight-lifting schedule would always get in the way. :p

Vermachtnis
07-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I never donated blood. It gives me willies. I'm getting antsy from just talking about it.

Misfit
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
he's only doing it to get out of work. >:o

Jowy
07-11-2009, 07:48 PM
sssh.

Aerith's Knight
07-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I thought about it, since AB- is pretty rare, but I'm afraid of needles, so that wouldn't work out.

Awrini
07-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I donated blood. But now the CBB will never leave me alone. ;_;

Shoeberto
07-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I've been scared to before but I feel very inclined to do it right now.

Rantz
07-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never really considered it. I suppose I wouldn't mind.

Momiji
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I did back in high school. I was fine up until the end, where I blacked out for a few moments and felt incredibly sick for a few hours, and I was still pretty weak for the next two days after. I'm seriously amazed I made it home that day; I should not have been driving.

I've done it once, and I doubt I'll do it again, unless money is involved. It's selfish, I know, but honestly, there's no way I'd put myself through that again otherwise.

Come to think of it, I made a thread on this back then.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/114355-oh-my-god-theyre-exsanguinating-me.html)

Yar
07-11-2009, 10:26 PM
No. It's MINE.

I'm an organ donor though, but only if I die. :(

Bunny
07-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Today, I gave blood. Needless to say, I don't like needles and jerked my arm when the aide stuck me. The needle snapped. After panicking the nurse rushed to unsuccessfully remove the tip from my vein. They had to cut it out before it infiltrated my blood stream. I now have stitches. FML

The only time I gave blood was for medical reasons when I was in the military.

Araciel
07-12-2009, 12:31 AM
JUICE AND COOKIES MUFUGGA WUT

Aerith's Knight
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
No. It's MINE.

I'm an organ donor though, but only if I die. :(

You can't donate dead organs.. cause they're dead. Maybe for a few minutes but I'm pretty sure that it means braindead when they want (and in your case are going to) to harvest you.

Marshall Banana
07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Today, I gave blood. Needless to say, I don't like needles and jerked my arm when the aide stuck me. The needle snapped. After panicking the nurse rushed to unsuccessfully remove the tip from my vein. They had to cut it out before it infiltrated my blood stream. I now have stitches. FML

The only time I gave blood was for medical reasons when I was in the military.
I might faint.

Ouch!
07-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Because I lived in Norway for five years, it is illegal for me to give blood. The FDA denies me.

Peegee
07-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah I did it at the IBM office once.

I should do it more often. Need to find donation areas in this city.

drotato
07-12-2009, 06:10 AM
No, and I won't ever do it unless one of my members of my family needs it, or Will does. Damn vampires, they can't have my blood. D:<

ljkkjlcm9
07-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm O-, I will never "donate" my blood! It's valuable, I'll sell it.

THE JACKEL

Lawr
07-12-2009, 06:40 AM
I probably don't meet the physical requirements to donate blood. :(

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I've donated blood once, O+. HemaQuebec since then used to continually call me to go to drives to donate. I'd love to if their policies would allow me to, but they don't. I finally told them that until they change their policies, I can't.

Yeah, being gay has its downsides. :/

The forms specifically ask if male donors have had sex with another male, even once, since 1977. They will refuse you if you say yes. My friends were surprised to here that. :/

(I had donated while still a virgin)

rubah
07-12-2009, 08:59 AM
AIDS had a pretty big gay stigma in the 1980s. I guess they're afraid some cases are still out in the wild?

07-12-2009, 09:25 AM
While their testing is not as thorough as they do for AIDS testing, they still test for AIDS/HIV. They also ask about your HIV/AIDS status in the questionnaire. While in the 80's homosexuals may have been stigmatized with it, it hardly justifies continuing with such beliefs.

I can see their concern about contaminated blood, but they really need to revisit such prohibitions. Seriously, we're the 21st century.

Sorry, it just aggravates me the whole thing. x-x;

[/vents]

Aerith's Knight
07-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Well, seeing as AIDS is basically a death scentence, I really agree with testing for it. My god, would you think how smurfed up it would be to get HIV/AIDS from a transfusion?

Jiro
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I have O+ blood. Which apparently makes me valuable. I'll donate blood eventually, and maybe if I donate enough over my life-time I can justify not wanting my organs nicked. :(

Aerith's Knight
07-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I have O+ blood. Which apparently makes me valuable. I'll donate blood eventually, and maybe if I donate enough over my life-time I can justify not wanting my organs nicked. :(

"Eww, I don't want my organs touching a sick guy." ~Bart Simpson :p

Dignified Pauper
07-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Because the Government says gays can't give blood, and the Red Cross upholds those laws since they were never changed, I stopped giving blood on the principle that I shouldn't have to break a law to help my fellow man.

What's that? My blood goes to help dying babies? Shucks. Blame Uncle Sam.

Jiro
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM

"Eww, I don't want my organs touching a sick guy." ~Bart Simpson :p

I don't care if this guy are sick or not, my corpse shouldn't be defiled :D

rubah
07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
AK, it's not even that they're testing for HIV, it's just a blanket ban, regardless of if they're clean or not.

Ouch!
07-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I can see their concern about contaminated blood, but they really need to revisit such prohibitions. Seriously, we're the 21st century.
That's similar to the reason (I say similar, because one my situation propagated by any form of particular bigotry) I'm not allowed to donate for having lived in Norway. They freak right the hell out about me having mad cow disease dormant somewhere in my body.

ReloadPsi
07-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Every time I go they're too busy and basically politely turn me away at the door because all the reserved places are taken or something. I keep trying to sign up but for some reason they won't let me just fill in the forms and come back some other time. It's kinda demoralising actually :/

So no, I've never given blood, despite numerous attempts to do so.

Well, seeing as AIDS is basically a death scentence, I really agree with testing for it. My god, would you think how smurfed up it would be to get HIV/AIDS from a transfusion?

And it does actually happen. After all, has the link between HIV/AIDS and anal penetration been disproven? Hell, the 1/almostinifinity chance of getting that is what puts me off getting a tattoo.

Unbreakable Will
07-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I have given blood on several occasions. the most i ever gave was 2 pints and i felt kinda funny afterwards...o.0

rubah
07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
ReloadPsi, you could go to a tattoo parlor that only uses fresh needles

ReloadPsi
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
ReloadPsi, you could go to a tattoo parlor that only uses fresh needles

Good advice, but just about any place where you ask "Are all your needles fresh?" the good ones are gonna say "Yes" and bad ones are also gonna say "Yes" because they want the business :/

And there's no point asking other people because everyone will give you exact opposite testimonies of every place available. I'll probably find a place I actually trust eventually though :P

Also still on the "stuff that might be in your blood but we can't be sure it's not so we'll deny you", wouldn't it be incredibly costly and wasteful to test absolutely every single sample?

LunarWeaver
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Can't! But I wouldn't anyway since I dun weigh that much. In fact, I might not be able to because of that either. I don't have a problem with needles or anything, though. I never did, even as a kid. They'd always be like, "Look away, kiddo!" and I'd just stare at it instead. I'm a wuss most of the time, so I don't know what's going on with that.

07-13-2009, 04:49 AM
AK, it's not even that they're testing for HIV, it's just a blanket ban, regardless of if they're clean or not.

They do screen for it, just not as thorough as they do for an actual HIV/AIDS testing. From what I recall, a very thorough testing for HIV/AIDS is a process over months to happen.

And it does actually happen. After all, has the link between HIV/AIDS and anal penetration been disproven? Hell, the 1/almostinifinity chance of getting that is what puts me off getting a tattoo.

Wait, what? Doesn't matter how you do it, whether it is anal, vaginal or oral, there is always a chance of transference. HIV/AIDS can only be transferred if the other person has it. It does not spontaneously come into existence at the point of anal intercourse. The chance of transference is varies from the role in the form of intercourse as well as from the various forms of intercourse. Without a condom the chances of transference to the anally-passive member is about 50/10000 (here (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1). Still, I wouldn't bareback (condomless sex).

So the only "link" there is is if your partner has HIV and you are not having safe sex. I mean condoms break, but a responsible sexually active adult would also routinely get tested for STIs (STDs). So yeah. Also, if you have sex with someone and they are aware of being HIV/AIDS positive and they don't inform you, you can actually get them charged for it and put in jail. Something like negligence or attempted manslaughter, I forget what exactly it is called.

I am not saying that donating blood is a right. I am saying that the prohibition on it is based on ill-conceived notions of homosexuals (HIV/AIDS is a "gay disease", gays being promiscuous and apparently unsafe to name a few) that still exist today despite medicine and science knowing better.

Interesting fact, heterosexual females have the fastest growing rate of HIV positive cases.

Again, sorry if I seem a bit aggravated. Just...

[/vent]

Darkswordofchaos
07-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Because the Government says gays can't give blood, and the Red Cross upholds those laws since they were never changed, I stopped giving blood on the principle that I shouldn't have to break a law to help my fellow man.

What's that? My blood goes to help dying babies? Shucks. Blame Uncle Sam.

I hope you have o blood type or whatever it is thats so rare and can go in anyone just so you get to say oops cant give my invaluable blood laterz bitches

thats what they should get for being douches

oddler
07-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I did back in high school. I was fine up until the end, where I blacked out for a few moments and felt incredibly sick for a few hours, and I was still pretty weak for the next two days after. I'm seriously amazed I made it home that day; I should not have been driving.

I've done it once, and I doubt I'll do it again, unless money is involved. It's selfish, I know, but honestly, there's no way I'd put myself through that again otherwise.

Come to think of it, I made a thread on this back then.

EDIT: Yep, here it is. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/114355-oh-my-god-theyre-exsanguinating-me.html)

Same crap happened to me and they didn't accept my donation because of it. I pretty much just skipped class to pass out, that's all. :(

Aerith's Knight
07-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Wait, what? Doesn't matter how you do it, whether it is anal, vaginal or oral, there is always a chance of transference. HIV/AIDS can only be transferred if the other person has it. It does not spontaneously come into existence at the point of anal intercourse. The chance of transference is varies from the role in the form of intercourse as well as from the various forms of intercourse. Without a condom the chances of transference to the anally-passive member is about 50/10000 (here (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5402a1.htm#tab1). Still, I wouldn't bareback (condomless sex).

So the only "link" there is is if your partner has HIV and you are not having safe sex. I mean condoms break, but a responsible sexually active adult would also routinely get tested for STIs (STDs). So yeah. Also, if you have sex with someone and they are aware of being HIV/AIDS positive and they don't inform you, you can actually get them charged for it and put in jail. Something like negligence or attempted manslaughter, I forget what exactly it is called.

I am not saying that donating blood is a right. I am saying that the prohibition on it is based on ill-conceived notions of homosexuals (HIV/AIDS is a "gay disease", gays being promiscuous and apparently unsafe to name a few) that still exist today despite medicine and science knowing better.

Interesting fact, heterosexual females have the fastest growing rate of HIV positive cases.

[/vent]

Wow, calm down. I had no idea there was a ban, I don't want to get mixed up in some sort of politicial thing here. I merely said that testing blood for diseases should be a must, no matter who it is. >_>

Breine
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Nope, never donated any blood before, but I'd like to become a blood donor one day. I mean, why not? It'd be kinda silly not to, really.

07-13-2009, 06:16 PM

[/vent]

Wow, calm down. I had no idea there was a ban, I don't want to get mixed up in some sort of politicial thing here. I merely said that testing blood for diseases should be a must, no matter who it is. >_>

Actually, it was not a reaction to what you said but something else.

I agree they should test for blood diseases, I understand the concern, just I think if someone can prove that they are clean, why shouldn't they donate?

Chemical
07-13-2009, 06:21 PM
I've attempted to donate blood roughly 5 times in my life and each time my HemoGlobin count is too low.
My body fails at generosity.

Namelessfengir
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
the first time i did it i could feel the blood shooting through the tube and it pulsed when they were connecting to the sample tubes

then my second time they dumped hot chili on my leg

after hat it calmed down were going to do that thursday

rubah
07-13-2009, 06:44 PM
This is what it's like to give blood when it terrifies you
Meeko Nari and Jume - Life Accomplishment #3 (http://jume.livejournal.com/564603.html)

Namelessfengir
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I do it because it feels good, not out of a goodness of my heart, though. I like needles. I can be sadomasochistic and get off and also help people. [/I]!

that is sexy and at the same time totally fucked up you might be worth dating if i was sure you wouldn't try sounding me.... :cry:

rubah
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
he has a gf last I checked, fengir :p

LunarWeaver
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Ooooh Nominus :kaoclove:

Namelessfengir
07-13-2009, 08:07 PM
:smurf:

headbang.....

whats a guy gotta do to find a freaky girl..... all of mine are married

Jess
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Every time I go they're too busy and basically politely turn me away at the door because all the reserved places are taken or something. I keep trying to sign up but for some reason they won't let me just fill in the forms and come back some other time. It's kinda demoralising actually :/

So no, I've never given blood, despite numerous attempts to do so.

You can sign up online to give blood. They'll send you a letter in advance letting you know the next time they will be in your area, and you can call up and make an appointment.

I've attempted to give blood before, but I wasn't allowed as I'd been physically sick 48 hours prior to the appointment.

I don't know if I'll be allowed to give blood yet, as you have to be tested for aneamia first and it runs in my family. and as I've had to take iron supplements before due to low iron levels in my blood, I could have it.

Aerith's Knight
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
You can sign up online to give blood. They'll send you a letter in advance letting you know the next time they will be in your area, and you can call up and make an appointment.

You shouldn't have to go through so much trouble to help someone. If they really need it, they'll make it easier.

~*~Celes~*~
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
My dad signed both of us up twice to donate blood and we haven't made it to either appointment. He's a regularly sought donor and I want to give blood too, maybe even plasma later to earn some cash. But I want to be comfortable with giving blood first :D

also, I had a good laugh at nameless fengir's expense, sorry dude :D

Jess
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM

You shouldn't have to go through so much trouble to help someone. If they really need it, they'll make it easier.
Is it really too much trouble to go through to possibly save somebodies life? all you have to do is fill in a form online...

Aerith's Knight
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM

Is it really too much trouble to go through to possibly save somebodies life? all you have to do is fill in a form online...

Save someone's life? They turn you away at the door. Ergo, they don't need it. If they need it, they have drives at schools and such, they would never turn you away then. Heck, if they don't heckle you, it ain't worth the huge needle and days of wooziness.

They don't need it, at least as long as there are enough poor smucks to actually make an appointment to donate to charity(basically the same thing).

Why don't you try to donate a kidney and see if they make you take an appointment to register or if you can go right in.

Roogle
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
When I was a teenager, I gave blood once or twice at various functions from high school and other places. I think I am ineligible to donate blood any longer because of a few reasons mentioned in this thread.

Dynast-Kid
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I really want to donate blood, but i'm not old enough.

BUUUT, my 16th birthday is....next month, and so maybe sometime soon I will! I really want to to do it because it's such a humane thing, but i'm scared it will hurt or feel weird. ;_;

EDIT: oh god, the pictures on Wikipedia made me queazy. :(

Heath
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I've donated blood two or three times now and always make the effort to do so if I can. I remember being really surprised by the lack of sensation involved in the whole experience. They don't pay for blood any more in the UK, which is a bit of a shame from a personal point of view, but I've read somewhere (possibly in The Tipping Point) that the quality of blood donations decreases when money is offered in exchange.

ReloadPsi: if you register online with the blood donation people they'll send you a letter when they're in the area and you can book an appointment over the phone, iirc. You can then fill out the form during your appointment.

rubah
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
celes, from all accounts, plasma donation is a lot easier to handle, since you don't have to struggle with the whole weakness thing afterwards. But then again, most of them sell plasma to pay for pot, soooo

Momiji
07-14-2009, 01:53 AM
celes, from all accounts, plasma donation is a lot easier to handle, since you don't have to struggle with the whole weakness thing afterwards. But then again, most of them sell plasma to pay for pot, soooo

Ja, that's 50 a week, 200 a month: enough to pay my half of the rent.

Seriously? They give that much for plasma? I need college books soon, this could be rather helpful...

I should seriously reconsider becoming a plasma donor then! Last summer I went in to sign up, but they were waaay backlogged for physicals alone, so I decided not to bother.

If plasma donation is less taxing on my system, I'm all for soldiering through getting stuck with a needle once a week/whenever for $50.

I think I'll go in tomorrow and schedule an appointment. Here's to hoping I can handle it. ;)

Quindiana Jones
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I donated blood once. And by that, I mean I was attacked by vampires. :(

Seriousness aside, I plan on donating in the future. But keep forgetting. Bummer. As is my way, I will probably research EVERYTHING before doing anything. Because I'm cool. :cool:

Momiji
07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Seriously.

The first appointment takes forever, as you have to fill out a large amount of paperwork and have various tests performed. But after that, it's rather smooth: doesn't take too long. And even if it does, a book is best company.

The place I go to gives me 20 on Tuesday and then 30 on Thursday or Friday. They want you to come back, so they always give you more on your second visit for the week.

And yes, there are a lot of college students there. And crackheads who are then upset when there blood is tested.

All right. I went in and scheduled an appointment today. If I'm lucky, I can get in for a walk-in physical/donation on certain days, but if not, they have me booked for August 12. Their pay is the same as you mentioned, $20 for the first time and $30 the next.

I wonder if I'll be able to bring my DS out to pass the time... :p

mooglebunni608
07-15-2009, 04:10 AM
I tried to donate blood twice earlier this year, but my iron level was too low. I'm planning on trying again tomorrow, but it's kind of upsetting to fill out all the paperwork and then get told I can't donate.

Rase
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
I do whenever I happen to catch a blood drive and am able to. It's not too bad and I never feel terribly tired or anything after, so there's no reason to really not.