PDA

View Full Version : Help a girl out!

Rye
07-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Heeeeelp! :-x

I need to start shopping for some college supplies. Only problem is, since I'm going to be in Europe for the year, I have to buy most of my things off of British websites and ship them to my dorm so that they're there when I arrive. It's really irritating. Anyway, I found everything I want at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It's my favorite store. Everything is stylish, cheap, and efficient. But I can't bring the majority of those things with me in my suitcase, and they don't even ship internationally. :whaaa:

Is there any type of British/European equivalent, with cute and cheap sort of dorm things? Colorful and nice? I've been searching my butt off, and I can only find more upscale sort of things, and... you know, Tesco.

Here is the BB&B website, if it helps you to find a similar store. =O

Bed Bath & Beyond Shop For College (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/default.asp?order_num=-1&)

Thanks a bunch of peaches! :mymelmagic:

Madame Adequate
07-12-2009, 04:40 AM
We buy only finest Swedish Ikean goods in England. Håil Sweden!

Rye
07-12-2009, 04:41 AM
If I order over $100 dollars worth of items, do I get a free Rantzien shipped to me? :hyper:

Madame Adequate
07-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Sweden does not trade in your piffling boorish foreign currency! They only accept the noble Adolphodollars!

rubah
07-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Monoprix, imho

Tavrobel
07-12-2009, 04:57 AM
You'll need a futon, as it doubles for a bed and a couch, a coffee table, that is for everything, and a lamp, which is for hitting MILF on the head with, not because you need light.

Madame Adequate
07-12-2009, 05:01 AM
I've had more serious head injuries than you've had hot meals. It'll take more than blunt force trauma to stop me!

Rye
07-12-2009, 05:05 AM
xD Oh boy.

I already have the bed there. I just need a duvet (I can pack my own sheets here), and a few organization and practical sort of items, for storage and stuff. Lots of closet organizers and good hangers. Cheap colorful dishes and cups for when I have dinner with the boy. And of course, cute shower curtains and bathroom organization thingies.

Just thinking about organizing things and CLEANING makes me nearly cream myself - that's sadly the thing I'm most excited about in regards to having my own living space alone... *sigh* xD

Tavrobel
07-12-2009, 05:24 AM
I've had more serious head injuries than you've had hot meals. It'll take more than blunt force trauma to stop me!

I like my food cold, so I'm afraid you've got me beat, MILF. The head injuries explain everything, really. But see, the thing with a lamp, is that you can either put a bulb in it or you don't have to. The possibilities for customization are endless.

Meat Puppet
07-12-2009, 05:25 AM
a bong??

Rye
07-12-2009, 05:30 AM
I'm not a weed person, but I could make one of those out of an orange if I wanted to. No need to spend money there! Frugal frugal frugal time!

Tavrobel
07-12-2009, 05:34 AM
So, you're willing to spend money on fresh oranges, but not on a piece of plastic?

Everyone say it with me now: "what?"

Employ a vacuum, cutlery, tissues, dishes, and trash bags, both big and small. You might as well just pay a visit to the local Costco now, and bring an extra suitcase.

Rye
07-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Oh my goddddd, do you know how much bongs cost?! My unemployed ex-friends would use all of their mommy and daddy money to buy 100+ dollar bongs! Those things are soooo expensive. I could probably buy Florida's entire orange supply for the amount of money some people spend on bongs. xDDD

Mmmm, oranges. Yummy. :3

I'm not sure if I could possibly bring another suitcase. The two giant ones I want to bring are gonna be jammed between all of my stuff that I need to bring. Though I will jam in a few plastic dishes and stuff like that. I also bought those space storage bags that vacuum seal all your clothes and shrink really small! Hooray space! That's why I need to buy things online from British sites.

Jowy
07-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Flint and tinder.

rubah
07-12-2009, 06:03 AM
why buy a bong when you can just make brownies?

theundeadhero
07-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Make sure anything electronic you buy is dual voltage so you can just spend a few dollars on plug adapters instead of at least $50 on converters.

rubah
07-12-2009, 08:46 AM
god's truth, right there ^^^^

you're not going to be happy when you fry your $200 hair straightener!

Rantz
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
If I order over $100 dollars worth of items, do I get a free Rantzien shipped to me? :hyper:

No, but you can rent me for $200/month. :jokey: But I ain't no hollaback girl.

Burtsplurt
07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
IKEA or, if you're not so bothered about the 'stylish' part: Argos!

Rye
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Make sure anything electronic you buy is dual voltage so you can just spend a few dollars on plug adapters instead of at least $50 on converters.

Ooooh! That is a REALLY good idea. I didn't know they had dual voltage appliances and electronics. I'm gonna have to look for some then. I do wish that the adapter plugs came in those big jumbo multiple adapter though. Maybe they do, but I didn't look hard enough yet!

I'm gonna keep a look out for dual voltage hair tools, since I'm due for an update anyway. But there aren't very many good hair straighteners with that feature on folica. Just the icky cheap traveling bag sort that does nothing. :[

louby_4eva
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
if you're not so bothered about the 'stylish' part: Argos!

Argos is awesome, I'd also recommend Matalan, that's where I bought all of my uni stuff :)

Smile and Be happy :love:

qwertysaur
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Make sure you plenty of pounds here before you leave the States. You don't want to land in England and realize you can't buy anything without a credit/debit card.

Did you book your flight yet? If not book it now, it will be a lot less expensive.

Rye
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Make sure you plenty of pounds here before you leave the States. You don't want to land in England and realize you can't buy anything without a credit/debit card.

Did you book your flight yet? If not book it now, it will be a lot less expensive.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I'm establishing my bank account this week that has a British affiliate, so I can use the ATM without a buttload of a charges, but I didn't think of doing that! Thanks!

And no, not yet. I've been trying to book it, but my Mom absolutely refuses to do it yet. I keep telling her to do it now and save a good deal of money, but she won't. Oh well. It's going to hurt her, not me. I tried. :roll2

EDIT: Oh my god, Matalan is really good. That's exactly the kind of shop I wanted. It doesn't have a big selection, but it some of the things I need like bath mats and towels for really cheap. Thanks a bunch!

Parker
07-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I hate matalan. Don't go there.

drotato
07-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Ooh, Rye!
What are you going to college to beeee? =D

Rye
07-12-2009, 06:55 PM
University of Reading, Nikki! :jess:

drotato
07-12-2009, 06:56 PM
OOOHH, neat! ^^

louby_4eva
07-12-2009, 07:04 PM
EDIT: Oh my god, Matalan is really good. That's exactly the kind of shop I wanted. It doesn't have a big selection, but it some of the things I need like bath mats and towels for really cheap. Thanks a bunch!

I just checked the website and it has loads less on there than it has in the actual store...still has some stuff though so I'm glad I helped :D :D :D

oh, oh, oh, wilkinsons is pretty good as well :D :D :D

Rye
07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh my gosh, louby, you're my savior. Wilkinson has almost everything else I needed, like a laundry airer and stuff! It's all really cheap. Perfectttt! As soon as I found out with dorm I'm living in, I'll order all of this stuff and ship it over.

Iceglow
07-13-2009, 03:58 AM
Jess, try the following stores websites:

Argos (http://www.argos.co.uk)(everything and then some is available from the website, problem is they may require someone to sign for delivery)

Habitat (http://www.habitat.co.uk) (furnishings ect)

Debenhams (http://www.debenhams.com) (same as habitat I believe the same company)

Rosebys (http://www.rosebys.com) (google them, their main website for the uk is under construction atm (upgrade work) they don't do many stores these days but heck they're on amazon)

Currys (http://www.currys.co.uk), Dixons (http://www.dixons.co.uk)or Comet (http://www.comet.co.uk)(these 3 stores are all owned by the same people, in fact so is PC world! they're probably the best electrical outlets in the uk for stuff like stereo's and stuff)

Other advice. Something Ewa found in Poland before comming to the UK, she has a multi-adaptor which converts her EU plug (2 round pins, earth pin is on wall socket) to UK plug (3 square pins, earth on plug) and has space for like 6+ items to plug in really damn useful since if you bring like hairstraighteners ect you'll need them. Don't bother trying to get US - UK adaptors in the UK, thats really hard to find we tend not to sell them in many places you could find yourself hunting around.

Also you can get some things from pretty much most supermarkets including Sainsbury's, Tesco and Asda they'll vary a little on price but I will with good knowledge on the matter tell you they buy all their stock from B&Q and Argos factories anyhow, I would know I used to deal with homewares in a supermarket.

If you need any more info or help pm/msn/usernote me :)

Darkswordofchaos
07-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Oh my goddddd, do you know how much bongs cost?! My unemployed ex-friends would use all of their mommy and daddy money to buy 100+ dollar bongs! Those things are soooo expensive. I could probably buy Florida's entire orange supply for the amount of money some people spend on bongs. xDDD

Mmmm, oranges. Yummy. :3

I'm not sure if I could possibly bring another suitcase. The two giant ones I want to bring are gonna be jammed between all of my stuff that I need to bring. Though I will jam in a few plastic dishes and stuff like that. I also bought those space storage bags that vacuum seal all your clothes and shrink really small! Hooray space! That's why I need to buy things online from British sites.

this is very true. i cant figure it out mabey they figure since your using the cheapest drug you must have plenty of money left over. ive seen grinders in upwards of 75$ tiny glass bowls about 4 or 5 inches long for 50 and a big multi-stage water bong, easily 100 bucks for a cheap one

Rye
07-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Oh man, oh man, Habitat has some really stylish awesome stuff. I'd definitely use that site for the more important things that I wanna spend a bit more money on, like a duvet.

+1 on the really cool tumblers, bright colored plates and other nice things on their enoooormous clearance section!

louby_4eva
07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh my gosh, louby, you're my savior. Wilkinson has almost everything else I needed, like a laundry airer and stuff! It's all really cheap. Perfectttt! As soon as I found out with dorm I'm living in, I'll order all of this stuff and ship it over.

Glad I could help :D :D :D

Heath
07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, Matalan is really the place to go for stuff before uni. I just got most of it from Woolworths and used my staff discount, but a lot of people I was with last year used Matalan.

Otherwise, I'll echo what everyone else said about Wilkinson and Argos. Marks & Spencer might be worth checking as well if you were looking at Habitat. I usually find the latter to be a bit expensive and Marks stuff is good quality if you're willing to pay a little extra for it.

Shlup
07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
I want the Hello Kitty bong that was at Venice. And I want to go to Europe. And I want to online shop.

D:

Rye
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I want the Hello Kitty bong that was at Venice. And I want to go to Europe. And I want to online shop.

D:

Hello Kitty bong!?

Why, I'll buy it for DK!

Christmas
08-02-2022, 08:34 AM
Dorm? You mean you dun lives in caves and hunt critters for food nowadays?

Mr Gashtacular
08-02-2022, 08:46 AM
rye learning about wilko really cheered me up for some reason

Mr Gashtacular
08-02-2022, 08:46 AM
i bet she found the home-brewing section and started a new hobby!