PDA

View Full Version : Aion: Tower of Eternity

Khaotic
07-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Anyone playing the betas and plan on playing it when it's released?

New Fantasy MMORPG by NCsoft | Aion: The Tower of Eternity (http://www.aiononline.com/us/) - For those who don't know what it is.

I definitely plan on playing, as you can tell from my signature I'll be an Elyos cleric.

Disco Potato
07-13-2009, 01:52 AM
I probably won't be playing, but my mom played the beta and is really looking forward to the official release. She wants to be an Elyos too. The game looked really good :D

Avarice-ness
07-13-2009, 02:34 AM
I'll prolly play when it's released.

Assassin, as is every one of my first characters in every MMO I played, and then sorcerer... as in every second class I chose in every MMO I played. I'd prolly be Eylos too, the asmodians look like undeads from wow, just slightly prettier..

And Well, I don't like undeads.

Dolentrean
07-13-2009, 03:54 AM
I am in the Beta, its been pretty fun. Assassin and Sorcerer are the two I have dabbled in the most. Sadly its only open every other weekend, so I haven't beenable to fully kill my social life yet...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
I wonder if we can sue them.

Carl the Llama
07-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I dont know why but im gunna be an Assassin... they look awesome, I will definately be playing this game comes out.

Avarice-ness
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Pre-ordered the game, Beta opens back up on Thursday so I'll try to get some time in before I go to Wisconsin and am computerless.

Rostum
07-15-2009, 12:11 AM
I pre-ordered the CE, should be getting a few beta keys (friend at EB Games just took a few for me).

:D

Markus. D
07-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Long ago when I was a heavy MMORPG player (I've played every type :D!) I decided I would wait till post-beta before playing.

I definetly plan to get my hands on this game, they've done it right for what they were going for.

Even if it doesn't (which I doubt it will, just because) advance WoW in playerbase, it certainly has already blown away how I foresaw it before I watched the gameplay in action (Visual skills/spells are pretty much almost going ahead of FFXI's, which is saying alot).

Will I like the gameplay more than my two favorite online related games? (SotNW: GE and GW) I doubt it... however I'll still adore the exploration alot more I think, everywhere is so lush and detailed <3

Avarice-ness
07-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Long ago when I was a heavy MMORPG player (I've played every type :D!) I decided I would wait till post-beta before playing.

I definetly plan to get my hands on this game, they've done it right for what they were going for.

Even if it doesn't (which I doubt it will, just because) advance WoW in playerbase, it certainly has already blown away how I foresaw it before I watched the gameplay in action (Visual skills/spells are pretty much almost going ahead of FFXI's, which is saying alot).

Will I like the gameplay more than my two favorite online related games? (SotNW: GE and GW) I doubt it... however I'll still adore the exploration alot more I think, everywhere is so lush and detailed <3

Actually it might get a good chunk of wow's playerbase.

-Alot- of hard core wow players are leaving WoW because WoW is now trying to appeal to the casual base but by doing so, they've become lazy and made the game repeditive recycled crap.

Edit: and a side note, if you're going to try the beta, when you're installing the game to play... it doesn't save if it's closed. I learned that the hard way when it was at 73 percent and I accidently unplugged my computer.

Markus. D
07-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Ooooh, I am a little out of touch and didn't know that.
I did see the enphasis on -Alot- ... this is interesting news :D!

Avarice-ness
07-15-2009, 01:57 AM
Ooooh, I am a little out of touch and didn't know that.
I did see the enphasis on -Alot- ... this is interesting news :D!

Yeah, nearly everyone I've played WoW with is either giving it one last chance, or already killed their subscript.

The next big patch that blizz is putting out is less than what was expected, at this point in WotLK the only NEW things have been the zones, Uld, and a few mob designs. Ironically, these mob designs are now raid bosses!

In a thread about how the tier 9 armor set is the breaking point for people for people who had hope for change, a nice amount of people said that they are going to try aion.

Not only that, but Blizz's sub base isn't at like 11mil anymore. The chinese servers have been down for over a month, and chinese players count for about 4mil of those subs. Not only that, but there is also no proof that when blizz says subs, that they mean active subs. Essentially there isn't 11mil-14mil players, just subscription accounts, that's including gold sellers, alt accounts. For all we know, they're just counting the subs that have been created at SOME POINT in time, but not currently.

Rumor has it, the player base is at around 5mil now. Just a rumor though.

Blizz is either using old mob models as raid bosses, recoloring armor sets, reusing raids.. becoming very.. boring.

I'm really looking forward to playing the Aion Beta.

Jowy
07-15-2009, 02:11 AM
@ ashley: not one, but TWO jormungar worms!

if i ever get a new computer, i'll give the game a whirl. eff being a damage dealer, I'm gonna tank.

Freya
07-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah i've been waiting for my new graphics card before I preorder, been ranting and raving about this game for the past few months xD

WoW mad me sadface so I quit xD

Avarice-ness
07-15-2009, 02:29 AM
@ ashley: not one, but TWO jormungar worms!

TWO!?

That's srs biz. I don't know how the raiders are going to deal with TWO of them!

Seriously though, I can't take jormungar's seriously, valkyries either. Making them raid bosses just makes me put my face on the keyboard and roll.

Rostum
07-15-2009, 02:44 AM
I know a lot of people seem to be interested in this game. NCSoft are really pushing to make it more appealing to the west than their other games, and so far it seems to be working - however only time will tell once it actually gets released. It seems to have a good chance with the decline of interest in a lot of the main MMO's (old and new); what with the lack of interest in WoW, FFXI and even newer MMO's that have disappointed such as WAR and AoC.

I did play about 5 hours worth of the Chinese client, with an English patch and I was impressed enough to pre-order the CE. I honestly just can't decide between the classes (I am usually a tank in MMO's but want to try something different). The combo system is very fun and adds something a little extra to combat in an MMO, however I didn't get to experience too much.

Avarice-ness
07-15-2009, 02:51 AM
I did play about 5 hours worth of the Chinese client, with an English patch and I was impressed enough to pre-order the CE. I honestly just can't decide between the classes (I am usually a tank in MMO's but want to try something different). The combo system is very fun and adds something a little extra to combat in an MMO, however I didn't get to experience too much.

I've read about that on preveiw sites that have played the beta..

the exact words are:

Bringing the beauty of Korean games to the skills and UI of western gaming.

I'm hoping it's true. =D

Dolentrean
07-15-2009, 05:26 AM
So far I have enjoyed the weekend betas. Flying is a treat.

Avarice-ness
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
So far I have enjoyed the weekend betas. Flying is a treat.

I missed the last beta because I was on vacation, but I'll definitely be making my character this weekend. =D

Avarice-ness
08-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Double posting since it's beta time!

I have a couple of saved videos on my livestream at: luvestream.com/ohhmittens

The 23 minute one is mostly female Elyos customization and then me doing a couple of quests on my mage, then me running around killing things then showing emotes on my scout.

I'll do a few videos later, procaster just really lags the game so I'll do it when I'm not running around trying to find quests and what not.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/tinyscreen.jpg

Crimson
08-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Aion was terrible for me, the hype wasnt all it was up to be, the beta was horrible, overrun with botters and hackers, the flying was nice but the overall gameplay was meh IMHO.

I'd sooner go do another 3 years on Rappelz than play Aion again.

Right now im looking forward to Aika Online.

Avarice-ness
08-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Aion was terrible for me, the hype wasnt all it was up to be, the beta was horrible, overrun with botters and hackers, the flying was nice but the overall gameplay was meh IMHO.

I haven't seen any botters or heard of hackers yet. I'm only level 8 now, and well.. it's basically like wow's begining levels.. don't do much, just kill alot of stuff. WoW didn't get good for me until like.. level 49, so I'm going to keep playing the beta to see how it goes.

Crimson
08-01-2009, 06:15 PM

I haven't seen any botters or heard of hackers yet. I'm only level 8 now, and well.. it's basically like wow's begining levels.. don't do much, just kill alot of stuff. WoW didn't get good for me until like.. level 49, so I'm going to keep playing the beta to see how it goes.

Well I dunno, it was in the first few months of the first beta when I played, no idea if they got rid of them but as I said the overall gameplay was nothing special (granted most korean MMO's rarely are) so I wouldnt see myself going back to it personally.

Markus. D
08-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Well I dunno, it was in the first few months of the first beta when I played, no idea if they got rid of them but as I said the overall gameplay was nothing special (granted most korean MMO's rarely are) so I wouldnt see myself going back to it personally.

Well at least it's Rapellz you'd go back to.
Smexy vampire-like race ftw~

Crimson
08-02-2009, 03:11 AM

Well at least it's Rapellz you'd go back to.
Smexy vampire-like race ftw~

Ha! No thanks, 3 years reaching R6 was enough for me.

Avarice-ness
08-02-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm not going to lie.

I think I'm already getting bored of Aion. I got to level 10, got my assassin, but.. I dunno I just don't like feel the game.

I mean in WoW, I was level 7 stealthed watching alliance killing people in the town I had just gone to. I was like 'Damn wtf my quest givers dead! I'LL GET YOU NIGHT ELF!"

but.. Aions just really pretty. The quests have way to much to read, you have to click like 3 buttons just to get to the accept quest part..

I'll see what levels are like later on.. I just can't seem to get INTO the game, and that kinda makes me know replay value is going to suck.

Rostum
08-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm very much enjoying it so far; I just can't wait until launch so that I don't have to rush through everything to get a taste, and so I can go at my own pace.

:)

Freya
08-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah I'm playing the beta now too xD

I got to level 4 last night and have been too busy to play today. I've liked it so far. I like the look and I feel the world is more involved than WoW's. In WoW it's like "go kill this cause I said so." In Aion it seems like "Go kill this so you can get to this next guy cause you're actually totally awesome."

I'm a junkie when it comes to things like lore and what not. WoW has a lot of stupid quests when this one seems more meaningful.

I dunno how'd they do more endgame type stuff but WoW's endgame has been going down hill for me lately. Ulduar came out and I got bored.

I like Aion so far and I use to be an avid WoWer.

Avarice-ness
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm very much enjoying it so far; I just can't wait until launch so that I don't have to rush through everything to get a taste, and so I can go at my own pace.

:)

I think this might be my problem.

I spent like 30 minutes (seriously) making my Assassin, and then I made a mage and realized that I liked her better and I am one of those people who like.. have to like what they're looking at to like the game. Well around level 7 or so, I made an Asmodian Scout, that I love to death (she's super cute), and then another Elyos Scout that I like more than my current one.

I debated just leveling my Asmodian, but since I only have so much time, I just don't wanna spend all that time doing what I just did when I haven't seen enough.

Crimson
08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
The problem is you guys are comparing Aion to WoW.

Aion is a korean MMO, if you compare it to one of the other 9001 korean MMO's you'd get a better idea of what you think it's lacking.

Though granted i'd still play a korean extreme grind anyday over WoW.

Avarice-ness
08-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Aion is a korean MMO, if you compare it to one of the other 9001 korean MMO's you'd get a better idea of what you think it's lacking.

Nah, My husband is gay for Korean MMOs and has made me play them (I would do two quests and quit), and this one seems more westernized than the rest. Apparently, from what I've read about the changes that are trying to be implemented and making it less korean and more western is something they're TRYING to do.

Also, we compare Aion to WoW due to the fact we were all hardcore WoWies.

While it's understandable that you don't like WoW, we've spent years on WoW, it being our main MMO. You don't leave one MMO for another unless it is better than the one you want to leave, so it's only reasonable for us to compare.

We're also comparing the level scale, the beginning levels of Aion are much like the beginning levels of WoW, except like Lekana said, everything they're telling us to do it's for a good reason, it's not like "Oh hey, I wanna make an apple cactus surprise, pick me apples" or like.. going to get gnomish tools off a ship and then the whole like "AMG THE ALLIANCE ARE GOING TO TRY TO COME HERE" just like ends.. because you're only level 12 or 13 and there's really nothing you could do about pending alliance..

In my opinion, I'm amazed at the quests available at level 10. In WoW, the quest hub for me was razor hill, a small outpost outside of a main city, in Aion, I'm finding quests in the main city and in outposts that it sends me too. It makes me feel a bit more useful, but I won't lie sometimes the ammount of blue arrow things over their head is overwhelming.

I kinda regret hitting a rut (got underleveld for the quests I had had, therefore I died alot which made me emo) because I wanted to be able to PvP in the Abyss, but I don't think I'll be seeing that this beta-test.

I have a love/hate relationship in Aion, next beta test I'll make my assassin the way I want her and hopefully I'll be happier in playing.

Crimson
08-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Nah, My husband is gay for Korean MMOs and has made me play them (I would do two quests and quit), and this one seems more westernized than the rest. Apparently, from what I've read about the changes that are trying to be implemented and making it less korean and more western is something they're TRYING to do.

Also, we compare Aion to WoW due to the fact we were all hardcore WoWies.

While it's understandable that you don't like WoW, we've spent years on WoW, it being our main MMO. You don't leave one MMO for another unless it is better than the one you want to leave, so it's only reasonable for us to compare.

We're also comparing the level scale, the beginning levels of Aion are much like the beginning levels of WoW, except like Lekana said, everything they're telling us to do it's for a good reason, it's not like "Oh hey, I wanna make an apple cactus surprise, pick me apples" or like.. going to get gnomish tools off a ship and then the whole like "AMG THE ALLIANCE ARE GOING TO TRY TO COME HERE" just like ends.. because you're only level 12 or 13 and there's really nothing you could do about pending alliance..

In my opinion, I'm amazed at the quests available at level 10. In WoW, the quest hub for me was razor hill, a small outpost outside of a main city, in Aion, I'm finding quests in the main city and in outposts that it sends me too. It makes me feel a bit more useful, but I won't lie sometimes the ammount of blue arrow things over their head is overwhelming.

I kinda regret hitting a rut (got underleveld for the quests I had had, therefore I died alot which made me emo) because I wanted to be able to PvP in the Abyss, but I don't think I'll be seeing that this beta-test.

I have a love/hate relationship in Aion, next beta test I'll make my assassin the way I want her and hopefully I'll be happier in playing.

It's not that I dont like WoW (ok im lying, I dont like WoW, but that's not the reason) It's just that WoW is a difficult standpoint to use if your trying to compare korean MMO's. While admittedly I have not played much WoW, the time I did spend on it felt quite different to most of the korean MMO's i've played (specifically Rappelz, 2Moons, Luna, Lineage etc... though Perfect World is an exception, that's practically the korean WoW).

Though I digress, having not been on Aion in an extremely long time I dont have a great footing to speak from, so taking my word for it probably wouldnt be a great idea xD.

Freya
08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I've played many MMO's. Starting with everquest. FREAKING EVERQUEST!

Anywho, There is a reason WoW is the biggest MMO. Even if you dislike it it does have a lot of great qualities. You can't expect to try to tackle the MMO scene if you don't look at WoW. There is a reason it's on top. So naturally we will compare the king of MMO's to a new one.

Avarice-ness
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm going to post my thoughts for every beta I do until release.

Character Customization: I loved it, I basically could make any character I wanted. I even recreated an original character I had made years ago, with the Aion customization. Granted, some of the female hairs are kind of choppy, but from what I could tell, some hairs seem to be more friendly for far away veiw and not for right in your face veiws.

Quests: I'm not going to lie, I wasn't about to read all the :bou::bou::bou::bou: they were telling me, I went through like five pages just til I'd get to accept. After I accepted, I took the lazy way, got in my log then just clicked the blue word to take me to the dictionary.
A five year old to figure out quests, no doubt about it. The only quest I didn't do on the Elyos side was the quest to find Tutty. Why didn't I do it? Because I'm lazy and it didn't point me DIRECTLY in the right direction. xD
The quests themselves though did remind me a bit of wow.
Aion Quest 1: Go talk to this guy.
WoW Quest 1: Go talk to this guy.
Aion Quest 2: Go kill X number of X monster
WoW quest 2: Go kill X number of X monster.
Aion Quest 3: Get me grain sacks.
WoW Quest 3: Get me apples.

Probably why I blew through the levels as I did, I'm starting to wonder how many quests it takes for it to NOT be like WoW.

Either way, simple, gave alot of exp, well thought out, they can make you run all over the world but most keep you in the general area.

Classes: I made a scout. People say that Assassin/Scouts don't play like WoW rogues. Infact they don't really, they play like a rogue and a GW assassin made a baby. The playstyle available to you in PvE, is basically the play style you would use in PvP, I don't know about other classes, but every skill given to me was useful in some way. I actually had some kind of rotation at level 11. I don't know how many skills an assassin would have all together, but from what I would see, you don't get :bou::bou::bou::bou: skills that you don't even put on your bar, they're all good and useful at some point.
I only had trouble at level 7 going into the place north of the campsite in the forest, I died like a million times because it just seemed like the monsters hit harder and took less damage even though they were the same level as me.
The second place I ran into problems, was the mines at the very end quests in Poeta. I basically did enough to get the class quest then I was like "NO THANKS".
I also don't know how it is with other classes, but I had a DAMN HARD time killing something just one level higher than me. In WoW, I could kill something 5 levels higher than me, but at the same time I like this because it makes it VERY level based. You can't really do like you could in WoW, and do a red quest that's 5 levels higher than you and get that chunk of EXP.

I'm not getting COMPLETELY into it, but I'll be doing the next beta, now that I know all the quests up until lvl 11, I should be able to zoom through them and start with some new things.

Craig
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
that sounds pretty good to me, thanks for the summary.

how do i get onto the next beta?

Avarice-ness
08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
that sounds pretty good to me, thanks for the summary.

how do i get onto the next beta?

I think you can buy a beta-key from the Aion website, but the only way to GAURENTEE you can get in the beta is by preordering the game from one of their prefered sites. (I preordered from Gamestop)

McLovin'
08-24-2009, 01:05 AM
I watched this guys review for the game. Pretty funny.

YouTube - Completely "Un"biased Review of Aion (Beta) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsACVBY_jb0&feature=related)

Rostum
08-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah, pretty funny. Though I honestly can't tell if he likes it or not. XD

After playing through 3 of the closed beta events, I can honestly say I love this game; and I've got around 5 of my friends from uni loving it too. Can not wait!

:D

Madame Adequate
08-24-2009, 05:02 AM
oh hey is this the one that's gonna kill WoW

I dunno it's not that impressive anymore after LOTRO, Age of Conan, and WAR did it

:monster:

Carl the Llama
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
anyone know if there will be mixed servers or will Europe have a separate set of servers?

McLovin'
09-02-2009, 03:10 AM
They have to have separate continental servers or else people would lag like crazy day and night.

Carl the Llama
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I know its unlikely but does anyone have a spare EU beta key or beta account I could borrow? lol I just finnished downloading and installing the game but I have to wait till friday to play it and im an impatient man lol.

VexNet
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I missed out on getting any beta keys and I don't want to risk pre-ordering it if I don't like it >_<

would love to check this game out, My friend has been playing since the start of the closed betas and keeps showing me screenshots that look so pretty~

I'm quite a big fan of NCsoft's other MMO City of Heroes. Whenever I do get the chance to play on it, it's ALWAYS a delight to play. The people and squads I end up in are always much more friendly than ANY other MMO I've played in my life.

Madame Adequate
09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
They have to have separate continental servers or else people would lag like crazy day and night.

If Squenix could avoid that six years ago I'd have to hope it's possible today.

Markus. D
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I missed out on getting any beta keys and I don't want to risk pre-ordering it if I don't like it >_<

would love to check this game out, My friend has been playing since the start of the closed betas and keeps showing me screenshots that look so pretty~

I'm quite a big fan of NCsoft's other MMO City of Heroes. Whenever I do get the chance to play on it, it's ALWAYS a delight to play. The people and squads I end up in are always much more friendly than ANY other MMO I've played in my life.

Tight-knit community will grant that... But I wouldn't rely so heavilly on AION for that same pleasure, if that's why you intend to play it.

Take another NCSoft supported game: Guild Wars... which has one of the most foul-mouthed PvPers on the planet along with consistant PvE trolls.

Carl the Llama
09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Well iv been playing the Beta since the 6th and I have to say aside from the bugs, Aion is one of the most promiseing and impressive games iv played, the graphics are everything I hoped they would be.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who can get their hands on it.

Jowy
09-10-2009, 01:44 AM
I have a beta key. Now to wait five days for this fucker to download.

Carl the Llama
09-13-2009, 01:07 AM
I have a beta key. Now to wait five days for this smurfer to download.

I hate to burst your bubble but the beta ends on the 13th >.<