PDA

View Full Version : What if?... and this is a big IF...

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2009, 06:59 AM
They did decide to make a Chrono sequel/prequel for the Chrono series, what would you want it to detail?

Personally, I want a prequel to CC that acts as a bridge between CT and CC. There is so much that happens between both these games its not funny and I sure as hell want a real direct answer to the fates of the CT team.

Now I could see the game going two ways... One as a complete title with Magus as the lead as he searches for Schala. Magus would probably travel through time and we may have a chance to witness all the other major events that lead up to CC.

The other idea (which I oddly enjoy more) would be similar to FFIV: The After Years, with each character getting their own chapter detailing their own time period.

Ayla would see the onset of the Ice Age, maybe hint to the start of Lavos' influence on humanity with small forms of magic showing, but mostly she would be dealing with the Time Crash and the conflict between Chronopolis and Dinopolis.

Magus would be searching for Schala and perhaps give insight to the post-Zeal world. Then he would probably begin time hopping and appear in many of the other chapters as he searches for Schala. Perhaps throw in a few references to Radical Dreamers... Magil anyone?

Frog could be investigating the new islands to the south of Porre. He would have his own apprentice and be forced to bring the Masamune along as he explored El Nido. We can then watch as Frog/Glenn deals with the locals and encounters FATE. It would explain how the Masamune arrived at El Nido and Frog's fate.

Crono, Marle, and Lucca would deal with Kid, the war with Porre, and possibly dealings with Balthasar and El Nido. I'd persoanlly love to learn that Crono and the team had a hand in creating Project Kid. It would finally resolve their ambiguous endings. Most likely ending with Lynx attacking Lucca's home. I'd like to get a few of the CC characters to show up as well.

Robo would deal with Balthasar, the fate of Schala, and Chronopolis. Perhaps even going so far to explain the origin of the Prometheus circuit. Accordingly, their story would eventually merge with Ayla's.

A final chapter would resolve all the interconnecting storylines and possibly leave it open for a bigger more traditional sequel for the series.

How would you go about a sequel or what would you hope to see?

Skyblade
07-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure I would want one. I never liked the idea of Chrono Cross (admittedly, I never played it, I've never been able to find a copy), because it just abandons the characters from CT. But, I really wonder if Squeenix would be able to pull of the brilliance of those characters if they were to try to use them again in a new game.

Elly
07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
actualy it doesn't just abandon the characters of CT, it's 20 years later so they would all be in or close to their 40's if they all survived except magus who would be in his 60's... also Chrono, Lucca, & Nadia all make appearances as phantoms stuck between time lines which i think explains why they look like children when they were teens in CT... honestly if you love Trigger, you will like all the nastalgia moments in Cross that referance trigger... give it a try don't pass on it just because of haters, it really is a deep story...

**Spoilers Ahead**

ok i would not want to see a prequal as it would make little to no sense cause all was peacefull untill Nadia stepped into that telepod, and that was pretty much the setup for CT... now something detailing the fall of Guardia, the theft of the Masamune and possible execution of King Crono and Queen Nadia, i'd also like to know if Lucca survived the fire or not as Cross leaves it fairly open to speculation...

Wolf Kanno
07-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, actually several character do make returns and cameos. Lucca play a prominent role in the plot despite the time wraith being the only time you speak to her. Crono and Marle make similar appearances. Balthazar, Schala, and to some extent Robo and the Mother Brain computer are featured in the plot as well. Ozzie, Flea, and Slash all make cameos. Ayla, Magus, and Frog are both mentioned and the Masamune does play a role in the plot, with even dialogue from Masa, Mune, and Doreen. There are tons of refernces to CT for fans and several storylines from CT are intrical to the plot of CC such as the new future Crono made, the Reptites, and the fate of Zeal. My only complaint is that they chose not to put Magus into the game as originally planned.

The amusing thing I didn't relaize until recently is that the DS version of CT actually hints to an explanation for Porre. Masato Kato (scenario writer for Chrono series) says Porre became a military power through "the influence of something beyond the normal flow of time". The DS version alludes to this force being Dalton who somehow manages to wind up in 1000 A.D. after his run in with the partyduring one of the new sidequests from CT.

Vermachtnis
07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm with you, I want to see the fight between Guardia and Porre. I don't think Dalton's, "Hey look behind you!" plan is going to work on the entire Kingdom like it did for the party in 12000 BC. Of course Crono was MIA at the moment and missed it and he's now King or something and could totally fall for it. Of course that would be totally stupid and piss off more people if that's what really happened xD.

But it all seriousness, I liked the scenarios you wrote in the first post. Crono's and Robo's look really neat.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Ideally, they'd just have done a better job of communicating Chrono Cross's story in the first place. But I doubt they'll ever remake the game with significant changes while retaining the original versions's production values, so I guess the next best thing would be an ancillary game clarifying it.

07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
This would be a departure, but whatever.

As a prequel to Trigger: You know those games where you make life-forms evolve? One of those, and you play as Lavos. If you do a good enough job evolving the planet's life forms, you get to destroy the whole planet and launch off to a new one with more interesting evolutionary options unlocked, repeat, etc.

This is why I'm not a game developer. Among a ton of other reasons, I suppose.

Vice Nebulosa
07-16-2009, 03:36 AM
They did decide to make a Chrono sequel/prequel for the Chrono series, what would you want it to detail?

God, never a prequel :yuck:, and I have serious doubts regarding the ability of any remake to successfully duplicate the essence of the original Trigger (as for Cross, I doubt the support for a remake exists, and I am not certain I would supplement it). Obviously the original creative "dream team" would have to be unanimously on board, but even then, I feel that the beginning of the series ("Morning Sunlight" in 1000 A.D.) should retain its simplicity. Trigger is a plot which revolves around simple temporal travel and clear goals, enacted by a group of protagonists who either do not know how their actions may adversely affect their timeline or universe (Crono and his crew), or who do not [I]care (Magus). The cast is mainly present to absorb the scenery of millennia of their world's enigmatic history and do the fighting against those who have obvious destructive intentions (Zeal, Lavos). Precious little thinking is involved, and much of it is done by third parties such as the Gurus. It is in Chrono Cross that everything simplistic about the aforementioned quest in Trigger can only be remembered fondly, as Serge's own responsibilities are thoroughly screwed up. :( This is an important contrast between ambitious naivety and twisted intricacy, and any prequel to Trigger would probably destroy it.

Now I could see the game going two ways... One as a complete title with Magus as the lead as he searches for Schala.

A Magus title would rule. :plotting: It would be interesting to have an entirely new cast introduced, just to see what type of individuals Magus would permit the title "allies". :magus: I do worry that the developers would be inclined to extrapolate too much of Magus' personality for the sake of a well-rounded plot, though. =\ Magus' presence in CT as a party member always struck me as something he intentionally kept inconspicuous; the image of Magus walking at the back of the group (despite the fact that I invariably use him as my party leader even after Crono is retrieved :erm:) always seemed congruous to his style. He reveals nothing, coming forward only to sieze insight that his duller-witted allies have missed. Making him the leader of another group in his own game would mean a significant role change for Magus; except in 600 A.D. (when he intentionally wished to attract attention), Magus has always been careful to downplay his presence, or at least have several meat-shields between himself and the enemy.

I can see Magus associating himself with a close ally of some kind (who would perhaps be aware of Magus' ambitions of locating his sibling), but said ally should ideally be given the dialogue role. Janus is no one's leader (hell, this may have been the reason he wished his subjects in Zeal to disregard him as a viable heir to the Zeal throne -- simply to avoid the obligations of leadership); he is either manipulating you, or present for a reason you are never likely to know. Brilliant though he is, Magus' nature is exceedingly primal and instinctive. There are few dramatic "dilemmas" that could feasibly be put to him that would produce any kind of emotional turmoil; he shows no interest in romance, he will kill his own allies if the need arises (he undoubtedly expects betrayal, and would not be so foolish as to have it catch him by surprise), and he cannot possibly be fazed by any amount of ruthlessness in an adversary. His personality is strong as hell, but immovable, making him a poor dramatic choice as a lead role.

Magus would probably travel through time and we may have a chance to witness all the other major events that lead up to CC.

Travel through time how, out of curiosity? :erm: The "Entity" no longer has any motivation to keep the assorted Time Gates open (Lavos having been removed from beneath the planet's crust), and it is doubtful that Magus could have smuggled himself the blueprints for his own private Epoch . . . :roll2 Such a plot would also depend greatly on where Magus went at the end of Trigger (most likely 12, 000 B.C., but who can truly say?) . . . Seems unlikely that Magus could undertake temporal travel on his own; he would likely need to hitch a ride with Crono's Epoch, and I cannot imagine the purpose that would motivate Crono to seek out such a treacherous ally . . .

The other idea (which I oddly enjoy more) would be similar to FFIV: The After Years, with each character getting their own chapter detailing their own time period.

Not huge on this one, either . . . :D: Magus' plotline (provided the above concerns were addressed) could be intriguing, and much remains to be cleared up about Crono's fate (Miguel, or not Miguel? :erm:), but I am not certain I could deal with an entire plot dedicated to Ayla, or for Frog, for that matter. :yuck:

Perhaps throw in a few references to Radical Dreamers... Magil anyone?

Would it not be awesome if they could invent a plausible way for the Magus-Lynx confrontation in Radical Dreamers to take place in more detail? Now that is a war that would monopolize all resources from both parties. :Eek: A nexus of antagonism like that (Dark Matter vs. ForeverZero -- can you imagine? :laugh:) cannot possibly form without pulling in half the frigging planet. Both men would be making an unimaginably powerful enemy in that relationship. *_*

The DS version alludes to this force being Dalton who somehow manages to wind up in 1000 A.D. after his run in with the partyduring one of the new sidequests from CT.

[I]Dalton? Give me a break. :roll2 I remember hearing something about this; when did time travel become effortless? :mad: And I suppose Dalton will conveniently be killed in the battle he caused, explaining his absence in Cross . . .

I'm with you, I want to see the fight between Guardia and Porre.

There is a lot to be revealed there. This oddly leads me to wonder at the origins of the Black Wind Unit within the Porre military. Insignificant reference, or subtle hint at the means of Porre's victory over Guardia? :confused:

As a prequel to Trigger: You know those games where you make life-forms evolve? One of those, and you play as Lavos. If you do a good enough job evolving the planet's life forms, you get to destroy the whole planet and launch off to a new one with more interesting evolutionary options unlocked, repeat, etc.

Nice. :laugh:

*Your Lavos is hungry. Feed your Lavos?*

*Planet Melchior VII drained of all life; Lavos fed.* :erm:

I am in favor of a Chrono sequel, although if the dream team does not have an utterly brilliant idea that they are all pleased with and eager to complete, I would rather live without a sequel than with something that dimishes its predecessors.

As for what I would like to see in a sequel, there is obviously much that Kato owes us in terms of Magus' involvement in the main plot. Personally, I would be interested in visiting Kid in her timeline of forlorn misery -- how she has adapted, how Janus supposes to "watch over her", etc. Generally eviscerate the bittersweet ending of Chrono Cross with the sharp hooks of reality that have undoubtedly set in. Other than that, though, I expect of Chrono Brake (if indeed this title is retained) what I received from Chrono Cross; something entirely unpredicted.

McLovin'
07-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Pity Square is doing fricken FF13, Versus, FF14 and the KH series. They need to go back to the old games and give them some love :< (ff4 is an exception)

Wolf Kanno
07-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm with you, I want to see the fight between Guardia and Porre. I don't think Dalton's, "Hey look behind you!" plan is going to work on the entire Kingdom like it did for the party in 12000 BC. Of course Crono was MIA at the moment and missed it and he's now King or something and could totally fall for it. Of course that would be totally stupid and piss off more people if that's what really happened xD.

But it all seriousness, I liked the scenarios you wrote in the first post. Crono's and Robo's look really neat.

Thanks for the comments :D

Now I could see the game going two ways... One as a complete title with Magus as the lead as he searches for Schala.

A Magus title would rule. :plotting: It would be interesting to have an entirely new cast introduced, just to see what type of individuals Magus would permit the title "allies". :magus: I do worry that the developers would be inclined to extrapolate too much of Magus' personality for the sake of a well-rounded plot, though. =\ Magus' presence in CT as a party member always struck me as something he intentionally kept inconspicuous; the image of Magus walking at the back of the group (despite the fact that I invariably use him as my party leader even after Crono is retrieved :erm:) always seemed congruous to his style. He reveals nothing, coming forward only to sieze insight that his duller-witted allies have missed. Making him the leader of another group in his own game would mean a significant role change for Magus; except in 600 A.D. (when he intentionally wished to attract attention), Magus has always been careful to downplay his presence, or at least have several meat-shields between himself and the enemy.

I can see Magus associating himself with a close ally of some kind (who would perhaps be aware of Magus' ambitions of locating his sibling), but said ally should ideally be given the dialogue role. Janus is no one's leader (hell, this may have been the reason he wished his subjects in Zeal to disregard him as a viable heir to the Zeal throne -- simply to avoid the obligations of leadership); he is either manipulating you, or present for a reason you are never likely to know. Brilliant though he is, Magus' nature is exceedingly primal and instinctive. There are few dramatic "dilemmas" that could feasibly be put to him that would produce any kind of emotional turmoil; he shows no interest in romance, he will kill his own allies if the need arises (he undoubtedly expects betrayal, and would not be so foolish as to have it catch him by surprise), and he cannot possibly be fazed by any amount of ruthlessness in an adversary. His personality is strong as hell, but immovable, making him a poor dramatic choice as a lead role.

Its not too difficult to write a story that could place a quiet and utterly aloof main character. Geddoe from Suikoden 3 is a prime example of how to do it well. He hides several major secrets and his involvement in the events from his own team. Even by the end of the game, its obvious he still hasn't told all he could really tell. The Manga adaption makes his mystique even greater.

I highly doubt we would see Magus droning on about how much he misses Schala or all he needed was a hug or some bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: plot twist about a father figure who magically appears in flashbacks to give some better understanding on how Magus is purely a "victim". :roll2

To do it right, I see Magus as more about action and little talking. I can also see him joining forces with he old CT team on occasion for his own reasons. Obviously, he will help Ayla and Robo in their scenarios cause he needs Balthazar. The story would be more about his actions than his comments. I only see him showing any sign of emotion when dealing with Schala or Kid directly; and only if its to protect her.

Travel through time how, out of curiosity? :erm: The "Entity" no longer has any motivation to keep the assorted Time Gates open (Lavos having been removed from beneath the planet's crust), and it is doubtful that Magus could have smuggled himself the blueprints for his own private Epoch . . . :roll2 Such a plot would also depend greatly on where Magus went at the end of Trigger (most likely 12, 000 B.C., but who can truly say?) . . . Seems unlikely that Magus could undertake temporal travel on his own; he would likely need to hitch a ride with Crono's Epoch, and I cannot imagine the purpose that would motivate Crono to seek out such a treacherous ally . . . We still have no idea who the "entity" is, ( My theory is Schala) so it is possible the gates could reappear to the right people... If that isn't good enough, its Magus... All we need is a McGuffin (probably some piece of the Mammon Machine still glowing with a bit of "Lavos juice" or even just a remnant of Lavos himself similar to the Frozen Flame) and Magus could theoretically use his vast knowledge and power to rip a hole in time with it. ;)

There is also the possibility of Balthazar or Gasper trying to get in touch with him. Oddly enough, he knows all the right people. The difficulty will be writing it in such a way where it doesn't come off cheesy or cheap. :mad:

Not huge on this one, either . . . :D: Magus' plotline (provided the above concerns were addressed) could be intriguing, and much remains to be cleared up about Crono's fate (Miguel, or not Miguel? :erm:), but I am not certain I could deal with an entire plot dedicated to Ayla, or for Frog, for that matter. :yuck:To be honest, I see all the individual stories happening in the Magus game as well but I prefer this one due to its better prospect for writing. The flaw with the Magus storyline is that everything has to occur from his perspective so we either have to wait for Magus arrive before the conflict begins or Magus will have to arrive after the conflict has started and we lose some levels of surprise. It also allows for the other CT characters to get a few moments to shine. My idea for Frog's story makes me enjoy it but Ayla's more of a necessity as her time line gets the greatest level of conflict and may perhaps have the biggest impacts that connect the story to CC.

Perhaps throw in a few references to Radical Dreamers... Magil anyone?

Would it not be awesome if they could invent a plausible way for the Magus-Lynx confrontation in Radical Dreamers to take place in more detail? Now that is a war that would monopolize all resources from both parties. :Eek: A nexus of antagonism like that (Dark Matter vs. ForeverZero -- can you imagine? :laugh:) cannot possibly form without pulling in half the frigging planet. Both men would be making an unimaginably powerful enemy in that relationship. *_*I think it would be fun. I happen to enjoy what little of Radical Dreamers I have read and I would love to see Magus protecting Kid from the shadows under the guise of a new facade. ;)

The DS version alludes to this force being Dalton who somehow manages to wind up in 1000 A.D. after his run in with the partyduring one of the new sidequests from CT.

Dalton? Give me a break. :roll2 I remember hearing something about this; when did time travel become effortless? :mad: And I suppose Dalton will conveniently be killed in the battle he caused, explaining his absence in Cross . . . I don't know the details, I'm not that far into the DS version myself. I only know that you face him in a place called the "Dimensional Vortex". He supposedly mutters something about " raising an army to destroy Guardia" after he is defeated and disappears into another gate. Fans speculate he may be the one that takes over Porre as it coincided with Masato's ambiguous explanation for Porre's military power in CC.

I am in favor of a Chrono sequel, although if the dream team does not have an utterly brilliant idea that they are all pleased with and eager to complete, I would rather live without a sequel than with something that dimishes its predecessors. The funny thing about this is that everyone wants to make it. Kato, Mitsuda, Sakeguchi, most of the "Dream Team" wants to make it. Only Yuiji Horii has expressed no interest. SE is the other hold-up. The SE VP remarked it would come if people bought more :roll2 The real problem I feel is that most of the Dream Team doesn't work for SE anymore and the one who does has no real interest. Yet most are freelance so they could hire them. I feel the CC team at least has a good chance of being reformed for a sequel.

Other than that, though, I expect of Chrono Brake (if indeed this title is retained) what I received from Chrono Cross; something entirely unpredicted.If they are make a sequel to CC, I agree this is what I would be expecting as well :cool:

Vice Nebulosa
07-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Its not too difficult to write a story that could place a quiet and utterly aloof main character. Geddoe from Suikoden 3 is a prime example of how to do it well. He hides several major secrets and his involvement in the events from his own team. Even by the end of the game, its obvious he still hasn't told all he could really tell. The Manga adaption makes his mystique even greater.

Not familiar with it. It seems to me that only/best way for such a thing to work with a character like Magus would be to have the spotlight periodically roam away from him, thus allowing others to become the protagonists in his stead. I am still somewhat opposed to the idea of Magus having "his own game" (despite the suggestive wording in my previous comments, all I am looking for is Janus' greater involvement), and am wary of the concept of his being "the protagonist".

The main Chrono series (Radical Dreamers operated a bit differently) has historically gone with the storytelling vessel of a "silent protagonist representing the player". Now, granted, this style is of questionable effectiveness, as there are few opportunities in either Trigger or Cross to make decisions that represent one's own "personality", and it might be problematic to implement the system in a fully voice-acted title, but it works remarkably well in other ways. While the sense that one is "speaking" through one's own persona is never present, the fact that all dialogue is offered by other characters does allow for a unique writing style (major characters in Cross speak clearly, about themselves or about something, without carrying on prolonged conversations with "you", because they lack input). Magus as "the protagonist" would disrupt this pattern, and furthermore be very "un-Magus-like"; it would need to be done exceptionally well to work for me.

I highly doubt we would see Magus droning on about how much he misses Schala or all he needed was a hug or some bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: plot twist about a father figure who magically appears in flashbacks to give some better understanding on how Magus is purely a "victim". :roll2

God, one hopes not. :yuck: But then, who expected that Sephiroth's Advent Children ambitions could be expressed in ten words or less? :roll2

To do it right, I see Magus as more about action and little talking. I can also see him joining forces with he old CT team on occasion for his own reasons. Obviously, he will help Ayla and Robo in their scenarios cause he needs Balthazar.

He needs Belthasar why, again? :erm:

The story would be more about his actions than his comments.

Oh, certainly, but the Chrono series has always maintained a certain enforced ignorance by having the player represented by an in-game vessel who is more a watcher than a participant, thus making the sudden actions of characters like Magus totally unpredictable (because so many details are unknown to us). To actively control Magus, however, we would either need to know what is going on in his head (bad idea for any scenario developer to attempt this), or simply be another uninformed watcher without an in-game vessel, which in itself would be very "un-Chrono-like". :erm:

I only see him showing any sign of emotion when dealing with Schala or Kid directly; and only if its to protect her.

Indeed. And about that . . . there are two very different versions of Magus from which a hypothetical Chrono Brake could derive its own Magus -- that of Chrono Trigger, and that of Radical Dreamers. The former was the indomitable, ruthless Janus we know and behold with awe (;)), and the latter was a considerably more regal, playful presence who showed genuine dedication to his allies. Here is hoping that they remain true to the man's original, self-obsessed roots . . .

We still have no idea who the "entity" is, ( My theory is Schala)

Whoa, hold on. That is a hell of an interesting theory (it would involve Schala manipulating not only the whole of Chrono Trigger, but her own merge with Lavos to become the Time Devourer, a personal hell she must have had a damned fine reason to endure); could you explain that further? :erm:

If that isn't good enough, its Magus... All we need is a McGuffin (probably some piece of the Mammon Machine still glowing with a bit of "Lavos juice" or even just a remnant of Lavos himself similar to the Frozen Flame) and Magus could theoretically use his vast knowledge and power to rip a hole in time with it. ;)

Oh, totally. :D

There is also the possibility of Balthazar or Gasper trying to get in touch with him. Oddly enough, he knows all the right people.

Well put, actually (referring to the wording of those sentences as much as the content; just worked well; make of it what you will <_< >_>).

I think it would be fun. I happen to enjoy what little of Radical Dreamers I have read and I would love to see Magus protecting Kid from the shadows under the guise of a new facade. ;)

They should certainly drop the "mysterious masked gentleman" persona by this time, though; Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross both attempted it to some extent, and methinks it is time for Magus to adopt something more appropriately . . . sinister. :plotting:

The funny thing about this is that everyone wants to make it. Kato, Mitsuda, Sakeguchi, most of the "Dream Team" wants to make it. Only Yuiji Horii has expressed no interest. SE is the other hold-up. The SE VP remarked it would come if people bought more :roll2 The real problem I feel is that most of the Dream Team doesn't work for SE anymore and the one who does has no real interest. Yet most are freelance so they could hire them. I feel the CC team at least has a good chance of being reformed for a sequel.

Mm. What concerns me is Enix itself; my confidence in it to allow such a project to develop unhindered by its bizarre business priorities is virtually nonexistent. 'Soft and Enix are extremely disparate entities; whether something of the scope of a third Chrono title can properly grow in such climes remains to be seen. And, frankly, I would rather not see the result of failure in this.

Skyblade
07-17-2009, 03:49 AM
From what I remember, Dalton's cronies are some of the weakest enemies in the game. Also, there is no way that he would rule Porre without renaming it. He could only be the one to defeat Guardia if Guardia was defeated by "The Empire of Dalton".

Vice Nebulosa
07-17-2009, 04:46 AM
From what I remember, Dalton's cronies are some of the weakest enemies in the game. Also, there is no way that he would rule Porre without renaming it. He could only be the one to defeat Guardia if Guardia was defeated by "The Empire of Dalton".

True, that. But if cries of "Golems golems golems they have to work this time!" are ever heard in future sequences detailing the fall of Guardia, we will have our answer. Irrefutably. :roll2

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Not familiar with it. It seems to me that only/best way for such a thing to work with a character like Magus would be to have the spotlight periodically roam away from him, thus allowing others to become the protagonists in his stead. I am still somewhat opposed to the idea of Magus having "his own game" (despite the suggestive wording in my previous comments, all I am looking for is Janus' greater involvement), and am wary of the concept of his being "the protagonist".

The main Chrono series (Radical Dreamers operated a bit differently) has historically gone with the storytelling vessel of a "silent protagonist representing the player". Now, granted, this style is of questionable effectiveness, as there are few opportunities in either Trigger or Cross to make decisions that represent one's own "personality", and it might be problematic to implement the system in a fully voice-acted title, but it works remarkably well in other ways. While the sense that one is "speaking" through one's own persona is never present, the fact that all dialogue is offered by other characters does allow for a unique writing style (major characters in Cross speak clearly, about themselves or about something, without carrying on prolonged conversations with "you", because they lack input). Magus as "the protagonist" would disrupt this pattern, and furthermore be very "un-Magus-like"; it would need to be done exceptionally well to work for me.

This is the reason why I felt the short Chapter scenario would work better. It is too easy to smurf up a Magus story, but he's one of the few major characters with an unresolved story and with the exception of Ayla and Frog, we have idea what he may be doing by the time of CC. He has a lot of selling points for a game. Still, I feel the Chapter scenario works better as a story.

God, one hopes not. :yuck: But then, who expected that Sephiroth's Advent Children ambitions could be expressed in ten words or less? :roll2

His ambitions were more interesting in his game and even then I didn't care for it. :roll2 Moving on...

He needs Belthasar why, again? :erm:

For the scenario I am presuming, Magus will need a means to travel through time efficiently. As the only person to build a time traveling device, it stands to reason he may need his help. Magus may have the means to open a Time Gate but I highly doubt he would be able to control where the gate leads to... He can't just be warping in and out of time haphazardly with no direction and no means to create direction. Granted, he would need a break to even find Belthasar but he's due at least one lucky strike...

Oh, certainly, but the Chrono series has always maintained a certain enforced ignorance by having the player represented by an in-game vessel who is more a watcher than a participant, thus making the sudden actions of characters like Magus totally unpredictable (because so many details are unknown to us). To actively control Magus, however, we would either need to know what is going on in his head (bad idea for any scenario developer to attempt this), or simply be another uninformed watcher without an in-game vessel, which in itself would be very "un-Chrono-like". :erm:

I feel having the game be episodic format would lessen the fan outcry. Especially in the story I propose as it is a piece that fills in the blank spots of the story. I doubt it would be called CT2 or CC0, nor would it even have to be called Chrono Break. It would be a story that fills the gaps but not necessarily stand as an individual piece in the Chrono lexicon. Thus I feel its plausible to have a few characters star as some "un-Chrono-like" characters. As long as the plot made sure never to give Chrono or Serge a voice, I feel they could avoid most of the fan ire.

Indeed. And about that . . . there are two very different versions of Magus from which a hypothetical Chrono Brake could derive its own Magus -- that of Chrono Trigger, and that of Radical Dreamers. The former was the indomitable, ruthless Janus we know and behold with awe (;)), and the latter was a considerably more regal, playful presence who showed genuine dedication to his allies. Here is hoping that they remain true to the man's original, self-obsessed roots . . .

I could see Magus be "softened" by his sister, if he were to watch over her from the shadows but perhaps not to Radical Dreamer's level. Perhaps something in-between. Even this softness itself would be difficult to discern whether he is really being changed or whether its just a clever facade to hide his identity and true motives. That to me would still retain his "Magus-ness" ;)

We still have no idea who the "entity" is, ( My theory is Schala)

Whoa, hold on. That is a hell of an interesting theory (it would involve Schala manipulating not only the whole of Chrono Trigger, but her own merge with Lavos to become the Time Devourer, a personal hell she must have had a damned fine reason to endure); could you explain that further? :erm:

That will take quite awhile... I'd need to recollect my thoughts as the theory has changed since I originally conceived it. Though I feel CC does help to add some clout to my theory. I may need to start an entire new thread as I wish not to derail this one.

Well put, actually (referring to the wording of those sentences as much as the content; just worked well; make of it what you will <_< >_>).

I'll take it as a compliment and call it a day.

They should certainly drop the "mysterious masked gentleman" persona by this time, though; Radical Dreamers and Chrono Cross both attempted it to some extent, and methinks it is time for Magus to adopt something more appropriately . . . sinister. :plotting:

As stated above, I feel it would work to have him come across as somewhere in the middle if we were to tell this story. It would not siuffice to alienate one fanbase over another and I feel Magus has the ability to pull off this balancing act rather well.

Mm. What concerns me is Enix itself; my confidence in it to allow such a project to develop unhindered by its bizarre business priorities is virtually nonexistent. 'Soft and Enix are extremely disparate entities; whether something of the scope of a third Chrono title can properly grow in such climes remains to be seen. And, frankly, I would rather not see the result of failure in this.

After you stated this, I regretfully feel I may need to agree with you. Knowing my luck, they will revamp Chrono as a collection of games and stories similar to the disastrous VII Compilation and the Mediocre Ivalice Alliance. I've yet to touch the World of Mana set as I'm afraid to watch a series I loved go down in flames.

Chrono deserves better and I agree that I have little faith in the people of Squenix to pull it off. Even if they got some of the team back, I'm sure Squenix would exploit the hell out of the series. :cry:

There is the chance the citizens of Porre just refer to themselves as their former name cause "The Super Special Awesome Empire of the Totally Bad-ass Emperor Dalton God-King" is too long to say and it would be difficult to even pronounce TSSAEOTTBAEDGK. ;)

Wolf Kanno
07-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Sorry to W-Post but I wanted to report on the Dalton thing...

Its confirmed in the DS version, that Dalton is the one responsible for Porre's uprising and move to a military state. You meet him in a Vortex of Time which is an area that is highly unstable and has timelines merging together, possibly even parallel worlds...

You meet Dalton in the Vortex of Time that opens in the Year 1000 A.D. He attacks you to get revenge and you whoop his ass (bring Magus, he says some funny lines). Afterwords, he vows revenge and says he'll take over Porre and raise a powerful army to crush Crono's kingdom. He then disappears inot the fog of the Vortex.

NeoCracker
07-30-2009, 08:03 AM
A comment on the Entity in Chrono, I recall Kishi bringing up an interview with the writer, and apperently the Entity was suppose to be translated as the will of the Planet. Though, for some reason, the Translation team chose to use Entity instead.

Wolf Kanno
07-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I originally believed it was the planet and I am pretty certain it is, but after CC it wasn't impossible to believe they retconned it for Schala instead. ;)

NeoCracker
07-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Schala was definately the catalyst for events in Cross, yes, however she was only able to call out to Serge at the point where the two worlds connected, and no where else.

I don't recall her ever showing signs of being able to interfere with any other point in time and space other then there, so I don't think it's likely she caused the time anomalies in trigger.

Wolf Kanno
07-31-2009, 04:53 AM
On her own she could not but after merging with Lavos she could have the power to do it. Its mentioned in Cross that she had a bit of her sanity left but was losing to Lavos. Its possible she could have then orchestrated the events. We know Lavos is capable of creating Time Gates so its not outside the realm of possibilities that Schala could have used that ability to orchestrate the destruction of Lavos in the main timeline but then start the ball rolling for her own escape in Cross.

NeoCracker
07-31-2009, 11:52 PM
But it's after she's fused with Lavos she interacts with Serge, and it's after that point that in cross she shows no signs of being able to interact with any other point then the Beach she first does it. If she had the power to create time gates, you'd think she would have made use of this ability again during Cross in order to defeat Lavos, however the only power she shows is being able to create a bridge between the two worlds, allowing Serge and the others to cross over. And even then this is not indefinate, as the Astral Amulet was still required.

It seems like a stretch to think she had the ability to actually create something like a time gate of her own free will based on what we see her being capable of doing.

In a sense, it's kind of like the R=U theory, albeit far less silly, and the concept actually makes sense, though it's similar that it's based of assuming things that dont' actually have any kind of solid basis, and goes very strongly against Cannon. :p

Don't get me wrong, making the theorys is very fun, but for me it's just as much fun to go against your theories. Though I have been known to make my own silly theories about these games. XD

Like the Idea that the entity was actually fate, though the creation of fate requires the defeat of Lavos in Trigger, thus creating a Time Paradox in order for it to actually work. :p

Wolf Kanno
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey, I always said it was a theory and I don't intend to push the issue as fact but just present the odd possibility.

Its not completely against Canon when you put in the DS version itself as The Time Devourer is now part of the game and has its own ending for CT. We bear witness to a Schala who had only recently emerged with Lavos' remains. She is still somewhat cognitive and uses the power of a gate to send a future version of Magus away from her. She also sends your own party away after defeating you (even though you actually won) and remarks that power alone cannot stop this new form. The game basically implies that the CT cast did all they could.

Schala also makes a statement that literally implies that Lavos is affecting her mind but can also be suggested to imply she may have tried to change history.

Schala: It is no doubt but a matter of time before Lavos consumes the whole of
my awareness. It was I, after all, who wished it—wished from the depths
of my sadness and despair that all that was would be erased.</pre>

NeoCracker
08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
You know me though wolfy, I like arguing over things from time to time. :p

The only problem with that is that wasn't the Time Devour, it was the Dream Devourer of an alternate Timeline I believe, I might be a bit off. :p

I always thought of that as being part of the Radical Dreamers Time line myself.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2009, 07:39 AM
It connects to Cross very much as well so it could go anywhere really. ;)

NeoCracker
08-02-2009, 09:13 AM
The only thing I recall connecting Radical Dreamers to cross was the Terminal in Chronopolis talking about the alternate time line, which was a reference to Radical Dreamers, a timeline that, on large, isn't really effecting the Trigger and Cross time line.

Unless you speak of this additional ending connecting to cross, in which I see no way in how it does. Explain yourself whelp.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2009, 09:53 AM
The Dream Devourer is said to be an early stage of the Devourer of Time, quite possible before it merged with the Dragons of Cross. The whole dialogue with Schala after the battle not only has her speaking of events that transpire in Cross but eludes to the fact that force cannot free her which coincides with the final battle with her in Cross.

Also, Kato has said RD isn't really canon anymore so why would the extra ending and boss fight move towards a greater connection with Radical Dreamers. Then ending strongly hints to the events of Chrono Cross and actually gives a bit of the answer concerning Magus' fate after CT.

NeoCracker
08-02-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't recall Cross even mentioning the Dream Devourer honestly, though it's been a few years.

And I know RD isn't Cannon, it's an alternate universe not connected to the main story. I just thought it was being used as an amusing reference to a forgotten game rather then something to further the story along. :p

I'm going to have to replay cross soon to see whats up with this Dream Devourer thing.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Its not mentioned in Cross but due to what the Dream Devourer looks like, fans feels its an early stage of the Time Devourer. ;)

NeoCracker
08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Having rewatched the secret ending in CT DS, I have a question. Does it really say To be continued in Chrono Cross like in that youtube video, or did they edit that in themselves?

Also, that video in and of itself makes it seem unlikely that Schala did any of it. She wasn't even trying to stop Lavos from killing you or that Magus, until the very end. And it's not until that point she regains her sanity, from the other Magus's final attempt to 'open her eyes' as it says.

Then, she manages to send you back to your own time, and she doesn't seem to have very long left to hold onto her own conciousness.

The reason I think it connects to Radical Dreamers, and not to Cross, is that when the other Magus lands back into a place in time, while he forgot his memories, he is determined to search for whatever it is he must find.

However, in Cross you never run into him, even though this makes it look as though he should be a very active force if it were to be true.

In Radical Dreamers, however, he is the faithful guardian of Kid, AKA Schala, so it makes more sense to me that it was the Magus of Radical Dreamers, and not the one of the normal Chrono Story line.

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2009, 05:10 AM
No, the to be continued isn' there.

As for the Magus bit, that still goes against canon for RD as Magus is well aware of his own identity and watches Kid from the shadows.

NeoCracker
08-03-2009, 05:15 AM
I don't recall it ever saying to much about Magus/Magil in RD. We know from the CT ending that Magus was searching for something, even if he didn't know what it was.

There is an undisclosed amount of time between when Magus landed, and when the events at Viper manner began.

I say it's possible that in that time frame, either he managed to regain some of his memories, or he's simply drawn to Kid, unsure of why, but feeling it has to do with what he is searching for.

It seems more likely to me, if only because the CT bonus ending in the DS version strongly hints at that Magus's involvment in future events, something that just doesn't happen in Cross, but does happen in Radical Dreamers.

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2009, 06:21 AM
I feel its a bit of a stretch. As stated before, RD is no longer canon so why make a totally new ending for the sake of referencing a game that Kato himself felt was so bad he purposely shot down the idea of having it as an extra for the PS1 port?

The new ending actually reveals why we don't see Magus cause he doesn't even know who he is anymore and god knows what timeline he even got dropped into. Not to mention the Dalton fight fills the gap of what happened to Porre. It all consistently points to filling in the gaps that Cross created.

NeoCracker
08-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Perhaps that Magus was dropped into the RD time line, since it obviously wasn't either home or another world? I just can't seem to accept the fact that it makes it seem like Magus was going to be involved in something, but the writers just go 'BWAHAHAHAHA, you will never know what will happen to poor old Magus!' That would just be silly.

And even if that event did happen in the current timeline, it doesn't seem to show how Schala could have been the one to orchestrate the events of Trigger.

To begin, the Time Devourer exists only because Lavos forsaw these kids could defeat him, as you learn in Chronopolis.

However, under the theory it was Schala's doing, that can only be the case If the Time Devour/Dream Devour existed.

Just like my old Idea that it was the doing of Fate, you are creating a time loop to make it all happen. The very portals created by Schala couldn't exist without Lavos feeling threatened by Crono and gang, but Crono and Gang cannot become a threat without the portals made by Schala.

Its really an unnescessary Time Paradox,

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Perhaps that Magus was dropped into the RD time line, since it obviously wasn't either home or another world? I just can't seem to accept the fact that it makes it seem like Magus was going to be involved in something, but the writers just go 'BWAHAHAHAHA, you will never know what will happen to poor old Magus!' That would just be silly.

It doesn't seem like Magus was off to do anything anyway in that ending, just wander the world for something he doesn't even know what it is. Perhaps the writer was hinting to some future project or perhaps it was a publicity move to garner more fan interest in making a sequel. The thing is that the facts seem to contradict your theory about the RD connection. I can't see how Kato would create a direct link to a game he calls "an embarrassment". ;)

Besides, I do not see it as a stretch to think of the Dream Devourer as an early stage of the Time Devourer. :p

And even if that event did happen in the current timeline, it doesn't seem to show how Schala could have been the one to orchestrate the events of Trigger.

To begin, the Time Devourer exists only because Lavos foresaw these kids could defeat him, as you learn in Chronopolis.

However, under the theory it was Schala's doing, that can only be the case If the Time Devour/Dream Devour existed.

Just like my old Idea that it was the doing of Fate, you are creating a time loop to make it all happen. The very portals created by Schala couldn't exist without Lavos feeling threatened by Crono and gang, but Crono and Gang cannot become a threat without the portals made by Schala.

Its really an unnescessary Time Paradox,

Well in my original theory Schala did it on her own without merging with the McGuffin so :p but technically, if a Schala from a parallel timeline orchestrated it and made the CT timeline the new main timeline the theory may still hold some weight. Considering Lavos can be destroyed, knocked out of time yet still affect the time lines as the Time Devourer. We only see the two main time lines in Cross cause they both held significance to FATE but it does not disprove the idea that other parallel worlds may exist that could be influencing time. This is the headache of time travel stories that utilize alternate timelines I'm afraid (not VIII)

NeoCracker
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
But Schala, on her own, didn't really seem to have the power nescessary to affect time itself. The only entities shown to be able to are Lavos and Belthasar, of course the later can only do it because he was locked away in an Icy future and slowly delved into Madness...

And isn't the original CT timeline from the game the main one? From what I understand, in that time line Lavos was defeated, and Home World in Cross was created by Fate and Chronopolis to seal Lavos between the two, so CT is already the New Main Time Line, and the Schala that is merged with Lavos is already the Schala of the main time line.

ANd why, exactly, would a Schala of a completely different timeline possibly want to interfere in this one?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
It's canon that the Entity is the planet, and is responsible for the appearance of the Gates (as well as the juggling of Dinopolis in Cross, which is essentially just a case of an entire city being drawn through a Gate). I see no reason short of an unequivocal statement to assume this has been retconned (and I'd probably ignore it even then, because it just doesn't work as well).

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2009, 06:37 AM
But Schala, on her own, didn't really seem to have the power nescessary to affect time itself. The only entities shown to be able to are Lavos and Belthasar, of course the later can only do it because he was locked away in an Icy future and slowly delved into Madness...

And isn't the original CT timeline from the game the main one? From what I understand, in that time line Lavos was defeated, and Home World in Cross was created by Fate and Chronopolis to seal Lavos between the two, so CT is already the New Main Time Line, and the Schala that is merged with Lavos is already the Schala of the main time line.

ANd why, exactly, would a Schala of a completely different timeline possibly want to interfere in this one?

I could so FE/Serapy these questions but it would make your mind explode!!!! ;)

It's canon that the Entity is the planet, and is responsible for the appearance of the Gates (as well as the juggling of Dinopolis in Cross, which is essentially just a case of an entire city being drawn through a Gate). I see no reason short of an unequivocal statement to assume this has been retconned (and I'd probably ignore it even then, because it just doesn't work as well).

I do believe its the Planet, and it definetly makes the most sense. This was just an odd theory I came up with one day and I wanted to share but NeoCracker decided to ruin it with his logic and facts. :mad2:

The Space Pope
08-05-2009, 07:05 AM
I never played the DS version of Chrono Trigger so I don't know if they went into detail about the entity.

Maybe in the sequel, it could take place in the (new) 2300ad era and gates keep appearing and distorting time. Robo, now a simple worker in Chronopolis laboratories gets wind of some odd experiments going on in Chronopolis and (somehow) wanders into a gate and ends up meeting Chrono and the others. Then they travel even further in time where Chronopolis still exists, and is active, yet the land is barren and largely uninhabitable. It turns out that those experiments being done in Robo's original time were being conducted on time travel by Lucca's future kin and accidentally created a hole in spacetime (since IRL, space and time are believed to be separate planes of existence) and they attracted the attention of Lavos on a distant planet, who manipulated the gates to travel across the galaxies and devour planets and multiply.

I guess it could also include traveling to other planets, and one of the twists is that the gates are stable with the gate key as far as time goes...but not where they'll end up, just when.

Yeah, I know it's pretty weak, but I thought it up as I typed it :p