PDA

View Full Version : Man charged $23 quadrillion for a packet of cigarettes

Heath
07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
BBC NEWS | Americas | US smoker chokes on cost of habit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8152278.stm)

So when was the last/biggest time you were ripped off for something?

I paid £3 for a glass of coke at a hotel the other month. I guess that was pretty bad, but a friend ordered a double vodka and lemonade and paid £10. Oh dear.

ReloadPsi
07-15-2009, 10:28 PM
This is why I hate having to have my wages paid into a bank account.

eestlinc
07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
never sign up for auto bill pay.

Old Manus
07-15-2009, 10:39 PM
They're queueing up for those sorts of prices in Zimbabwe

Aerith's Knight
07-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I paid that much for a hooker once.

She may have been the queen of some country.

God bless american express pre-approved cards.

Rocket Edge
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Considering it's 49c for 8 litres of water, I paid 3 euro for a small bottle of water, IN TENERIFE!! I wouldn't mind, but it's one of cheapest places ever. I stood there looking at her for a second before she came out with "no english", so I just moved on.

Bunny
07-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Bank of America is full of ripoff artists.

blackmage_nuke
07-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Everything is overpriced at convienience stores.

rubah
07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I ate dinner on top of the Georges Pompidou building in Paris and didn't remember how to order 'un carafe d'eau' and ended up splitting a bottle of perrier with someone for €6,00

Shoeberto
07-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Airports. Geeze freakin' louise.

Allie and I spent $8 on a packaged cold cut sandwich once. We were short on time and I don't think there was really anything cheaper around. Craziness.

NeoTifa
07-16-2009, 02:10 AM
I called Verizon like 3 months ago and told them to not auto-withdraw that month as I would do it myself on the day it was due because I wasn't getting my paycheck til like 2 days later. They did it anyways. I had $50 in there, and so I charged like $20 worth of stuff. I would've normally still had $30, but they took the $82 out anyway, and National City takes the largest out first, so they all cleared together, with 3 overdraft charges instead of 1 (which shouldn't have been there anyway). Yea, and at NC its $36 a pop, so $118 in overdraft fees, plus the money I bounced... They gave me the $36 back for their charge and claimed that I would've been overdrafted anyways. Bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. I even sent them a copy of my bank statement.

Namelessfengir
07-16-2009, 02:24 AM
so thats how we're going to pay for healthcare......

Bunny
07-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Allie and I spent $8 on a packaged cold cut sandwich once. We were short on time and I don't think there was really anything cheaper around. Craziness.

Oh man, I love this about airports. Especially when the overpriced food is horrendous. I'm not sure how much money I've spent on things I've never finished because it was disgusting.

Araciel
07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
This is why I hate having to have my wages paid into a bank account.

But if you think about it, he was debited the amount for spending money, so if they deposit it into your account, that would make you a quadrillionaire if a comparable error happened to you...

Levian
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I live in Norway, I get ripped off on a daily basis. :(

Big D
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I bought some $15 headphones today, but there was a barcode scanning glitch and the price originally read as around $4000. Droll.

Breine
07-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I live in Norway, I get ripped off on a daily basis. :(

Haha, true! xD

I heard that Norway and Japan are the most expensive countries in the world.

I also heard somewhere that every December is tax free in Norway?

Blue Harvest
07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I was walking past this really posh jewellery shop today and their prices are more than anyone who lives here can actually afford., like a necklace in the window was about £17,000. Thing is, it all looks like cheap crap. Fucking rip-offs.

tidus_rox
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Um... went to a used game store the other day and found Final Fantasy VII buried somewhere. There was no price on it, so I brought it to the counter. I put it back when I found out I was told to drop 300$ for it...

Levian
07-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Oh, didn't know that wasn't common elsewhere. The tax is cut in half actually, so we can spend more on christmas presents. Just another way for that evil state of ours to claw the money in. I keep forgetting about it each december and then I'm like woah when I get my paycheck. It's quite fun.

Rodarian
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Um... went to a used game store the other day and found Final Fantasy VII buried somewhere. There was no price on it, so I brought it to the counter. I put it back when I found out I was told to drop 300$ for it...

LOL, I have VII and VII on PC but they haven't been touched in ages..namely cause my laptop doesn't support games :P

Sucks to be me cause I really have the urge to play them again!

Breine
07-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Oh, didn't know that wasn't common elsewhere. The tax is cut in half actually, so we can spend more on christmas presents. Just another way for that evil state of ours to claw the money in. I keep forgetting about it each december and then I'm like woah when I get my paycheck. It's quite fun.

Well, I'm here to tell you that it's not common elsewhere. At least not in Denmark, m'dear Lev :)

Also, as if Norway doesn't make enough money as it is.. they just have to find new ways to earn some more money.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Because I am retarded I bought Empire: Total War when it was new. This is retarded for two reasons. First, TW games need patches and often mods to be fixed. Second, the price was extortionate (£40) and waiting a few weeks even would have cut that by 1/4.

~*~Celes~*~
07-18-2009, 12:12 PM
While in NYC on a band trip, my group stopped at I think it was a Greek? restaurant where the food was ungodly expensive, and our chaperon offered to buy us lunch. So I ordered Grilled Cheese, assuming it'd be safe. I don't know what the fuck kind of cheese they used but it tasted like :bou::bou::bou::bou:, so she got a refund for my order.

rubah
07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I was walking past this really posh jewellery shop today and their prices are more than anyone who lives here can actually afford., like a necklace in the window was about £17,000. Thing is, it all looks like cheap crap. smurfing rip-offs.

I know what you mean.
http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/events/besancon/strasbourg/ring.jpg

louby_4eva
07-18-2009, 07:43 PM
I paid for a full years tv license and got 11 months because it turns out I did it at the wrong time of the month...I was really annoyed at that. I also just moved into a flat and for the first week the estate agents had lost the keys but I still paid the rent for that week. Neither of these two companies have responded to my claims for reimbursement :( I've had a lot of companies trying to rip me off recently. I need to talk to the council tax people because they're trying to get me to pay council tax for the months I wasn't even living in the flat...not happy.

Hopefully my luck will turn around and people will stop trying to steal my money :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love: