PDA

View Full Version : Soda vs. Soda

Raistlin
07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Layout arguments are as central to EoFF as Pop vs. Soda, Color vs. Colour, and swear filter feedback threads.

Layout argument, check.
Swear filter feedback, check.
Looks like Pop vs. Soda is next on the list. I did a quick search and we haven't had one for a while.

However, I named this thread "soda vs. soda" because it's not even a real debate. Anyone who makes some childish sound when describing a drink is nothing but a backwoods, uneducated hick. The obvious correct term is "soda."

Go.

Marshall Banana
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
I live in Kentucky.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-16-2009, 10:01 PM
I added a poll.

The bumpkins among you might notice that "Coke" is not an option.

"Pop" is only an option as a sporting gesture, really.

Freya
07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
When I was little and lived in Texas it was Coke. When I moved to Wyoming I said Pop. Now, here in Oklahoma, I say soda xD

Either way it doesn't bug me. But soda is what it is now yo.

Psychotic
07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/popvssodamap.png

Marshall Banana
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Eastern and Western Kentucky will never be united.

Raistlin
07-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Oh god, don't even get me started about "Coke."

Psy: so the civilized say "soda," and the backwoods hick areas where they sit on rocking chairs on their porches with shotguns on their laps say "Coke/pop." I already said that.

Freya
07-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Psy: so the civilized say "soda," and the backwoods hick areas where they sit on rocking chairs on their porches with shotguns on their laps say "Coke/pop." I already said that.

I hate you.

Raistlin
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Lekana: Oklahoma has a tiny area where they say "soda," according to that map. You can move there. :D

Actually I think that map is horribly inaccurate (considering I lived in Colorado for 5 years of my life and always heard "soda"), but we'll go with it.

Heath
07-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Never heard soda really used in the UK unless referring to fizzy water or cream soda. Pop, however, is used quite frequently. Soda seems too American. Pop it is.

Freya
07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I hear, Soda Pop. So it uses both I guess. What's better now eh?

qwertysaur
07-16-2009, 10:19 PM
The map is correct for me. :p

Blue Harvest
07-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Around here we refer to each drink by its individual name rather than as a collective.

Tavrobel
07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Coke stands for Coca Cola (the with a red can) or for cocaine. The legitimate answer is soda. Pop is what happens when you use a high damage nuke on an unsuspecting target, killing them near instantly.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Pretty much yeah. Saying "pop" is hateful and wrong.

You'll also note that the map correlates soda with places I like: the Northeast, around St. Louis, and California. This is additional proof of the rightness of saying "soda".

rubah
07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I fixed the poll.

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 10:46 PM
I fixed the poll.

Sickening. Absolutely sickening.

rubah
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey, what can I say. It's a good map :neko:

Breine
07-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I say soda.

Also, coke has always been coca cola to me. Didn't know it could be a general term for soft drinks?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Also, coke has always been coca cola to me. Didn't know it could be a general term for soft drinks?

It can't, really.

rubah
07-16-2009, 10:54 PM
stop defining english with your snobbery and start defining it by how it is used :mad2:

Breine
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM

It can't, really.

Thought so.

Jessweeee♪
07-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I haven't heard "coke" used when referring to soda in general for some time! Heard it both in the north and south all the time when I was little, though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-16-2009, 10:58 PM
stop defining english with your snobbery and start defining it by how it is used :mad2:

Using brand names as generic terms is an insidious claw of monopolism upon any free market society. Why do you hate honest trade, Allison?

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 11:00 PM

Using brand names as generic terms is an insidious claw of monopolism upon any free market society. Why do you hate honest trade, Allison?

If a product is successful enough to become a genericized trademark I'd say that's pretty much the free market in operation right there.

Leeza
07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Pop is the correct answer. Soda is the clear sparkling water drink that has nothing to do with pop. :cat:

Jessweeee♪
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM

Well who wants to say "adhesive bandage" when you can just say "Band-Aid"?

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Pop is the correct answer. Soda is the clear sparkling water drink that has nothing to do with pop. :cat:

That's called sparkling water. :colbert:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-16-2009, 11:10 PM
If a product is successful enough to become a genericized trademark I'd say that's pretty much the free market in operation right there.

You could claim any monopoly is justified, but there's such a thing as too much capitalism. When market leaders become self-perpetuating machines to the exclusion and suppression of any and all competition, intervention is necessary to restore the honesty of the system. This is why we have antitrust laws, and also why anyone who refers to every soda as "Coke" requires swift and decisive reëducation (or maybe just education in the first place).

eestlinc
07-16-2009, 11:13 PM
any ever call it all pepsi?

I don't think the majority of people in Seattle call it pop. I hear it from time to time but I kill those people so whatever proportion of he population here says "pop" is surely declining.

Freya
07-16-2009, 11:18 PM
A lot of people down south call it coke because that's what they prefer. So by saying, "Get me a coke" Its more of, "Get me a coke product". Since they prefer most coke products and saying get me a coke product is much longer to say.

In my lil' ol' town we have a "Dr. Pepper" street. They just prefer the coke brand over say the pepsi brand in the south.

Darkswordofchaos
07-16-2009, 11:32 PM
However, I named this thread "soda vs. soda" because it's not even a real debate. Anyone who makes some childish sound when describing a drink is nothing but a backwoods, uneducated hick. The obvious correct term is "soda."

Go.

i was actually raised around thos backwoods "hicks" and they call it soda to. the only people who call it pop must be yankees or somthing thats the only place ive never been and ive never met people who call it pop cept for one dude from ohio i think

Madame Adequate
07-16-2009, 11:43 PM

You could claim any monopoly is justified, but there's such a thing as too much capitalism. When market leaders become self-perpetuating machines to the exclusion and suppression of any and all competition, intervention is necessary to restore the honesty of the system. This is why we have antitrust laws, and also why anyone who refers to every soda as "Coke" requires swift and decisive reëducation (or maybe just education in the first place).

If a monopoly has been gained or is sustained through means other than fair competition then I wholly agree. If a monopoly is gained or sustained because the company in question provides the best X at the best price, then they have every right to it.

However quite aside from that I entirely agree that people who call soda "coke" (Or "pop" for that matter) should be sent to the camps.

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 12:31 AM
There's some "monopoly terms" that are fine as far as I'm concerned: Band-Aid, Xerox, etc. Coke, however, is used out of sheer laziness. There's so many sodas out there it's ridiculous. Even if the Coke company did have a monopoly, it produces a dozen or so different sodas, so using "Coke" as an all-inclusive term would still not be justified.

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:02 AM
It's okay, I use contractions out of sheer laziness, too, raistlin

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2009, 01:04 AM
However quite aside from that I entirely agree that people who call soda "coke" (Or "pop" for that matter) should be sent to the camps.

Then we have no quarrel.

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:06 AM
There's not really anything to it. It's like learning a new vocabulary word. "four legs, tail, big ears and licks you" "dog" "four legs, long tail, meows" "cat", "no legs, dark brown, bubbles and you drink it" "coke".

that's just the word that is used 8) probably has to do with that hole atlanta bottling plant or something, idk. Or all those people that have coca cola signs up in their businesses.

G13
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I think we all know that the correct term is soda, but I have to say, Once you pop the fun don't stop!

Agent Proto
07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
A lot of people down south call it coke because that's what they prefer. So by saying, "Get me a coke" Its more of, "Get me a coke product". Since they prefer most coke products and saying get me a coke product is much longer to say.

When you say it like that, it's understandable to call soda "coke" if expecting a Coca-Cola product.

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:08 AM
and with relatively few places offering pepsi, we expect nothing else.

Shoeberto
07-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I call it pop when I'm here in Ohio, but abroad usually it's soda - mostly because 'abroad' is usually the south, and I don't really like calling them cokes, but people react strangely if you call it pop.

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 01:10 AM
But which Coke product? There are a lot of them!

Chemical
07-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Pop. the end.

I was hoping this would come up.

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:22 AM
usually, if someone wants a dr. pepper or a sprite, they'll say so. coke is just for non-pruney brown fizzy drinks.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Then what do you call all of them, collectively?

Agent Proto
07-17-2009, 01:32 AM
"Fizzy drinks," hm?

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
"what kinda cokes do ya'll got" or maybe "what kind of drinks do you guys got"
"wally's having a sale on cokes"
etc

tidus_rox
07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Well, this is a surprise. I was totally expecting pop to be the number 1. But seeing as I am Canadian... and there is very few of us, I guess I could see why the word Amercians use would be more popular haha...
But yeah, I use pop. When I went to Georgia, I asked for a pop at a restaurant, and they didn't know what I was talking about :P

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
When I went to Georgia, I asked for a pop at a restaurant, and they didn't know what I was talking about :P

Most sane people don't.

Kirobaito
07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
I use "coke" and really don't care. I will also use the term "soft drink," though obviously its technical definition is much wider. I will also use "soda" on occasion. I will never in my life use the other option.

rubah
07-17-2009, 01:47 AM
soda pop

pony boy

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I loved that book in middle school.

NeoCracker
07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
This. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwm9jUjLvk)

Sword
07-17-2009, 02:40 AM
In Ireland I don't hear ANYONE say soda or pop. But we do call coke coke :D. Otherwise we just refer to it as a fizzy drink/juice.

Momiji
07-17-2009, 02:54 AM

I saw that my county on that map is the darkest blue possible.

I was sad for a moment, then realized I hate it here anyway, sooooo~

It is called 'soda', and I will forever call it as such.

Rye
07-17-2009, 02:57 AM
Hee-hee. My area is 100% "soda." I don't think most people have even heard of the term "pop" in my area.

I mean, pop is cute and all, but it's just something I don't associate with soda. Pop is an ice pop.

NeoTifa
07-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Pop or gtfo

scrumpleberry
07-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Fizzy drink? I just use the name of the beverage :confused:

qwertysaur
07-17-2009, 03:20 AM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm163/qwertyxsora/fixed.png
I fixed the legend. Momiji also has a dot where I think his house is about, I got the right county at least so you should move to that pixel for a day or something if it's slightly off.

I have awesome touchpad paint skills :D

Momiji
07-17-2009, 03:24 AM
you were pretty close, actually

qwertysaur
07-17-2009, 03:26 AM
awesome. :D

NeoTifa
07-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Mountain Dew, because that's pretty much all I drink.

Denmark
07-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Perhaps "Coke" is so prevalent in the southern United States because of Atlanta (where Coca-Cola is based)? In that case, I think the rest of the South should rebel against the oppressive Atlantans and use the correct term: soda.

IronOcean
07-17-2009, 07:05 AM
in indiana we say coke for pepsi or coke actually, anything other than orginal carbinated drinks we use the actual name, but the dark colored one is always coke here

Denmark
07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
in indiana we say coke for pepsi or coke actually, anything other than orginal carbinated drinks we use the actual name, but the dark colored one is always coke here

As a devout Pepsi-lover, I am now shunning Indiana for the rest of my life. As far as I'm concerned, Indiana no longer exists.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Pop!

Timekeeper
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
You guys are hilarious.
Here in Australia the generic name for a soft drink is soft drink.

Rantz
07-17-2009, 10:35 AM
"läsk"

Levian
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I say brus, which is norwegian.

I'm not a big fan of carbonated beverages, so I'd probably just say Coke if I was visiting another country as it's the only soda I enjoy.

oddler
07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Pop or gtfo

Gonna have to go with gtfo on this one.

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Soda only has a plurality? Such a sad state of affairs.

Jiro
07-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I use soda to feel like I'm better than the rest of Australia who say soft drink.

Rodarian
07-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Everyone says Cold Drink over here... Strange it is....

Breine
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
"läsk"

Sodavand.

qwertysaur
07-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I use soda to feel like I'm better than the rest of Australia who say soft drink.
:up:

NeoTifa
07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Un coca.

Momiji
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Maybe in your region of Indiana, pal. All of the losers on this side say 'pop' and it makes me wince every time I hear it. I'd rather have it the way you do. :(

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Soda is increasing it's plurality. It is inevitable. One day, the cleansing will be complete.

Magixion
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Everyone around here says "pop", even me.

I guess living in the "rural" and backwater city of Salt Lake makes me a hick.

:rolleyes2

Raistlin
07-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I never said rural, just backwoods. And Utah is pretty backwoods/weird overall. Anti-alcohol much?

Just further proof of the superiority of "soda."

Timekeeper
07-18-2009, 07:45 AM

:nonono:

Bunny
07-18-2009, 08:13 AM
ORANGE DRANK

oddler
07-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Kel loves orange soda. Soda.

Raistlin
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Only three votes away from an actual majority, and forever stomping out the disgraces of the English language: the usage of "pop" and "Coke" to refer to sodas in general. Go "soda!"

Iceglow
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Well who wants to say "adhesive bandage" when you can just say "Band-Aid"?

The correct term for a band-aid when resorting to anything other than band-aid is plaster get it right :p

That's called sparkling water. :colbert:

Both wrong and right at the same time. Sparkling water is used almost exclusively when speaking about carbonated mineral water sold at ridiculous rates. Soda water is more accurate being that Soda water is purely water which has been carbonated. If you seek further clarification on this then come to the pizza hut where I work and ask me for a Soda Water and a Sparkling Water and I will clear it all up for you. Needless to say Soda Water is both gassier and more flavoured than Sparkling Water. In fact in most restaurant environments all "soft drinks" are made by the mixing of a concentrated syrup with soda water the machine works like a giant Soda Stream machine. I have to change it's huge gas cylinders and boxes of syrup (they're similar to wine boxes with a bag inside). However for the purpose of what we discuss here both of you are wrong.

"Fizzy drinks," hm?

Acceptable in the UK a carbonated soft drink is refered to as either a carbonated soft drink if you're posh or have recently had the full length of a broom handle inserted up your anus and not yet removed or as a fizzy drink. Fizzy drink is the laymans term for it. Soft Drinks is also used but in the UK people tend to refer to still juices and cordial mixes when talking about "soft" drinks. Though I must confess it is a downfall of my country that in reality when saying the term soft drink it could in reality be relevant to any drink that does not contain alcohol for these are hard drinks.

Pop is a genre of music and therefore I am forced to agree with Raistlin that Soda is correct term for it. Coke is a brand name and sure when people come in and ask for a coke I know that they mean a pepsi (though we have to clarify this and often this causes people to change their drink order to a tango or 7up) however I must also conclude that a brand name is wrong. Soda drinks especially when going in to a restaurant that does not simply pour you a glass of a carbonated drink from a bottle/can but has the "pump" machine process is especially accurate in the fact that in those cases the drink literally is a Soda.

Blue Harvest
07-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Kel loves orange soda. Soda.

Is it true?

:tongue:

Raistlin
07-19-2009, 06:10 PM
SO CLOSE, only two more votes needed. Come on, soda, you can beat out these terrible alternate names for you!

Bunny
07-19-2009, 06:15 PM
It seems I had forgotten to cast my vote in favor of soda.

blackmage_nuke
07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Soft Drink

Mirage
07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Coke makes no goddamn sense as a general word for carbonated, flavoured drinks. Soda all the way.

Raistlin
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Soft Drink

There can be no fence-sitters. You're either with us or against us.

The Space Pope
07-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Oh, that map that was posted is kinda inaccurate. Around the Northeast I always hear people call it tonic.

Timekeeper
07-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Soft Drink

I agree with him though, we are a third party faction that hasn't been represented in the poll. :mad2:

~We're against you.

Vyk
07-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I call it pop. I wonder what the history behind this is. I like how blue is winning on the map. I can accept soda. I can accept soft drink. Calling them cokes drives me nuts though

Timekeeper
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I like how blue is winning on the map.

I don't really know America too well, but isn't the greatest part of the population on the coasts where the map appears to be yellow?
Sure, there are more blue counties, but does that mean more blue people?

I wouldn't be surprised if I am completely wrong though :D

The Space Pope
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
No actually you're right, the middle of America has much less people than on the coasts. Though the yellow part in the Northeast is wrong because I've lived there and almost nobody there calls it soda, they call it tonic which isn't even an option ITT or on the map.

White Babylon is always lying about something.

Rase
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Soda. Going to college in Missouri and being friends with people mainly from the Northern MidWest this topic comes up a lot.

Needless to say they are wrong and I am right.

EDIT: And my vote made the standing 26/52 for Soda, so I am pleased.

Raistlin
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
The blue is not really "winning" on the map. The most populated areas in the US call it soda, so population wise soda is ahead. California and the eastern 2/3 New York that is yellow by themselves probably make up at least 1/4 of the US population.

Also, 27/53. Soda has a majority now and has proven its supremacy.

rubah
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
2/3 or gtfo

Vyk
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I dunno if a population ruling is what you're looking for either. Considering how many people are in the country and then considering how many of them don't use their brains on a daily basis. I'm not sure I want to be slumped into a population majority. I'll stick with being the sub group of smart people. If I ever learn that Einstein or Hawking called it soda or tonic or soft drink (God I hope not coke) then I may shed my heathen ways

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Soft Drink

Well I use to call them carbonated beverages but everyone kept looking at me funny.

Raistlin
07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
If I ever learn that Einstein or Hawking called it soda or tonic or soft drink (God I hope not coke) then I may shed my heathen ways

Every modern genius in the US calls it "soda." I know this for a fact because if they don't then they're not really geniuses.

Tavrobel
07-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I wonder what it would be like to hear someone call it a "Fountain Drink" in a real life setting.

Raistlin
07-22-2009, 12:02 AM
28/54 now, inching higher. You "pop" sayers should just accept your demise now.

I Took the Red Pill
07-22-2009, 12:03 AM
It's soda ya goddamn hicks.

Lawr
07-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Since I live in Michigan, I can't lie my way out of this one.

I will say though, that here I've heard everything. Soft drink, pop, soda, soda pop, and coke. I myself and the people I know say soda the most, but sometimes you'll hear those others. Nobody will judge you though!

rubah
07-22-2009, 01:52 AM
sometimes my dad calls it a "sodie pop"

Raistlin
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
At least he's not so much of a heathen that he calls everything "Coke."

Depression Moon
07-22-2009, 02:06 AM
I lI think that map is wrong. I live in one of those mainly say "coke" places, but what I mostly hear is soda when I go to a resteraunt or look in the newspaper. My grandaddy called it pop though. It's catchy.
Plus how can coke be a general term. That's just a single brand when they are dozens out there. It would be confusing if I was holding a Sprite and someone asked me let me get some of that coke? I wouldn't think he was talking to me, but if he repeated himself I would say that I have a sprite not a coke.