PDA

View Full Version : Can't talk underwater. Or can you?

Skyblade
07-19-2009, 03:35 AM
I started a new FFX game (forgot to give Oaka his money on my last playthrough, so have to start over), and I noticed that Tidus says "Whoa" underwater during the sequence with Geosgaeno. Yet everywhere else in the game, characters communicate with gestures and hand signals underwater (and the hilarious soundless underwater laugh). The question is, why, when they can speak underwater with no distortion?

scrumpleberry
07-19-2009, 03:37 AM
It makes their lives seem just a little more exciting, a little more worthwhile.

blackmage_nuke
07-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Maybe theres a difference depending on salt water vs fresh water.

Vermachtnis
07-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Maybe over 1000 years people forgot they could speak underwater. Tidus just went along with it.

Tavrobel
07-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Maybe it was because it was only one syllable, that he could talk unimpeded?

Namelessfengir
07-19-2009, 06:57 AM
it was a short exhalation of air.... it wasn't a speech just whoa..... its like he's a blonde neo

Renmiri
07-20-2009, 02:18 AM
I think we may have heard his thoughts, since he is the narrator :p

Namelessfengir
07-20-2009, 03:02 AM
when he narrates his speech is italicized.... just stick your head underwater and see what words you can say

Iceglow
07-21-2009, 01:33 AM
He said "whoa!" and then after the fight in the cutscene when he gets inside the temple he is there gasping also he immediately puts his hands to his mouth it was just an impulsive reaction to declare whoa it was probably more in a closed mouth speaking in your throat thing but that was the first fiend he saw in Spira apart from some minor Sin Scales.

Jiro
07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure I can say "Whoa!" underwater. It's not perfectly audible, but we would've complained if we didn't understand what he said.

Darkswordofchaos
07-21-2009, 11:06 AM
He said "whoa!" and then after the fight in the cutscene when he gets inside the temple he is there gasping also he immediately puts his hands to his mouth it was just an impulsive reaction to declare whoa it was probably more in a closed mouth speaking in your throat thing but that was the first fiend he saw in Spira apart from some minor Sin Scales.

he'd seen feinds before in zanarkand
but i think it was because whoa isnt a word somuch as a sound

Skyblade
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
It's just a bit of incongruity, that's all. Nowhere else in the game do characters talk. And not only does he, he does it without distortion. It's not as though it adds a ton to the scene.

As another note, why is the Sahagin in that scene the only fiend we see who bleeds?

TheSpoonyBard
07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
It's probably to do with the game's rating. If fiends bled every time they were attacked the characters would be wading through pools of monster plasma. I don't think they could have that and get away with an 11+ rating.

Skyblade
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, but fiends aren't supposed to bleed. They just dissolve into pyreflies when vanquished. So why does that particular one bleed?

roen
07-22-2009, 01:59 AM
Maybe it felt special so it decided it would bleed.

blackmage_nuke
07-22-2009, 03:47 AM
Maybe the blood is actually billons of red microscopic pyreflies

Skyblade
07-22-2009, 03:53 AM
The most likely explanation to me is that the Sahagin wasn't a fiend, it was an animal. We know that there are animals in Spira. There's a polar bear skin rug in the Macalania travel agency, for example, and I would guess that they are used for meat purposes as well (pyreflies being inedible). I would guess that animals aren't usually as agressive as we would expect, being overshadowed by the massive amount of fiends. So that Sahagin may have been an actual creature. Why it looked like a fiend and worked with them, however, could use a bit more explanation.

Darkswordofchaos
07-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Yes, but fiends aren't supposed to bleed. They just dissolve into pyreflies when vanquished. So why does that particular one bleed?
he wasent vanquished only injuered. and mabey hes jsut a big fish monster who ate a lot of feinds and thats were the pyreflies come from when you kill him

Skyblade
07-22-2009, 04:24 AM
he wasent vanquished only injuered. and mabey hes jsut a big fish monster who ate a lot of feinds and thats were the pyreflies come from when you kill him

You don't kill that one. Geosgaeno chomps it, throws it away, and we never see it again. And fiends don't seem to bleed when injured either.

Rye
07-22-2009, 05:22 AM
I guess because using hand gestures is easier to do in any sort of conversation, underwater or not. I read that over 75% of human conversation is done through gestures, and not through words, or something.

blackmage_nuke
07-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Maybe fiends bleed when attacked by other fiends

Skyblade
07-22-2009, 06:17 AM
I guess because using hand gestures is easier to do in any sort of conversation, underwater or not. I read that over 75% of human conversation is done through gestures, and not through words, or something.

In the Internet era? Not likely. :p

Dolentrean
07-22-2009, 07:39 AM

In the Internet era? Not likely. :p

Yah, now we use fancy fonts, bold face, strategically implemented italics, quotation marks, and smiley’s.

Big D
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I started a new FFX game (forgot to give Oaka his money on my last playthrough, so have to start over), and I noticed that Tidus says "Whoa" underwater during the sequence with Geosgaeno. Yet everywhere else in the game, characters communicate with gestures and hand signals underwater (and the hilarious soundless underwater laugh). The question is, why, when they can speak underwater with no distortion?You can shout "whoa" or whatever underwater quite easily. Also, Wakka yells "Yuna, we'll save you!" or something during the Moonflow incident, but it's very muffled by the water.

Talking underwater is a waste of valuable oxygen, especially when you've got to stay under for several minutes at a time to be a pro blitzballer.

Jiro
07-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Body-language (including hand gestures, stance, etc.) conveys more meaning in a conversation than actual words do. I think that's what you were thinking of, but I'm not sure what kind of percentage is on that.

But the internet is obviously not inclusive of this, as nobody speaks or is seen. Words are words; it's up to the reader to put the meaning into them then.

Darkswordofchaos
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Talking underwater is a waste of valuable oxygen, especially when you've got to stay under for several minutes at a time to be a pro blitzballer.

I dont think you could play a 10+ min sports game under water in one breath witch leads to the question, Can they Breathe under water?

Jiro
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I think they use something called "suspension of belief" in order to play blitzball. I'm sure they said that they hold their breathe for the entire 5 minute half, but I find it hard to believe they could hold it while being tackled so hard. :p

TheSpoonyBard
07-22-2009, 10:34 AM
They cannot breathe underwater. They hold their breath during the match (the Aurochs mention this when Tidus first lands on Besaid and Yuna says she's training for it in Eternal Calm/Another Story). The pyreflies in the water make it possible to function the way the players do while holding their breath.

Big D
07-22-2009, 10:36 AM

I dont think you could play a 10+ min sports game under water in one breath witch leads to the question, Can they Breathe under water?Blitz is five minutes per side - at the very limits of human endurance, but there's also the theoretical possibility that they can surface whenever they *really* need to breathe.

Of course, the crew stays underwater a very long time during in-game sequences too - Tidus and Rikku at the excavation site, for instance. But in those cases, I think we're to assume they're not "really" cut off from air the entire time. Just like they can walk for hours without getting tired or needing to take a whiz.

They definitely can't breathe underwater, though. Some of the Besaid Aurochs mention holding their breath, and in the 'Another Story' video, Yuna's training to get better at it, reaching a 'new record' of 2 minutes 41.

blackmage_nuke
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Or like how they can leap 10 meters into the air for overdrives but cant seem to clear the smallest ledges outside battle

Goldenboko
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Maybe originally (with better voice acting) Tidus was suppose to say "BLUFHSHIDDA" (bubbles coming out of his mouth obviously :holmes:) but they decided making him say 'Whoa' was easier.

Namelessfengir
07-22-2009, 04:16 PM
i think the limit for holding breath under water is 7 minutes and thats just being under water and not exerting yourself.... so its feasible that if you train since your a kid you could raise that blitzball standards

Vermachtnis
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
You people are forgetting the "Fantasy" part of Final Fantasy. "It's just a show game, I should really just relax."

Namelessfengir
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
but thats not fun.....

G13
07-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, Tidus is a dream after all. And in dreams you can do anything, even talk under water and bleed whenever you want to.

Darkswordofchaos
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Or like how they can leap 10 meters into the air for overdrives but cant seem to clear the smallest ledges outside battle

that always botherd me. when the're in the calm lands its like "OMG theres a 4 inch high rock ledge theres no way in hell we could cross that better go around"

Skyblade
07-23-2009, 02:27 AM

that always botherd me. when the're in the calm lands its like "OMG theres a 4 inch high rock ledge theres no way in hell we could cross that better go around"

Those ledges weren't even 4 inches high in some place. They were definitely the most annoying and immersion-breaking barriers there.

Renmiri
07-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Ultimania FFX explains the Blitzball thingie this way: The water has pyreflies in it, and those allow players to breath it.

Christmas
09-28-2022, 01:37 PM
Pyreflies are pretty much the explanation for everything in FFX. I wonder if Tidus pee pyrefiles. :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
09-29-2022, 05:58 AM
pyreflies are ghost sperms, i thought that was obvious

Christmas
09-29-2022, 03:51 PM
The FFX God may have fapped too much.