PDA

View Full Version : How do you make gil? (FFXI)

Tsutaru
07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I've been playing FFXI for a loong time now, and I've yet to find a solid way of earning money. I'm trying to find ideas, so what do you all do to earn gil?
ty for your time :) :love:

Del Murder
07-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I buy magic scrolls from the NPC shops and sell them on the AH for 5-10k profit.

Quindiana Jones
07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Fish. Costs very little to start up and evrything you catch is essentially a profit. Takes freaking ages to make real money, though, so if you're looking for a quick buck this ain't it. But it is pretty much a permanent flow of money, as your fish will never sell for less than you got them for (free).

Del's method is a famous method of making the wanga in pretty much every game like this. There's an unlikely chance that AH prices will suddenly drop, leaving him screwed. But, like I said, not only is this unlikely, but by the time it does happen you'll probably be loaded enough not to care.

Another method is a very long term method that can cost loads to become available, but is one of the best ways to make lots of money. Fast. This is through your crafting skills. Once you get into the high levels (this is why it costs loads to set up), you can make some really expensive stuff that is also in high demand, with minimal expenditure on ingredients.

I suppose I should thwo in expensive drops from monsters, though this is really unreliable. A Rabbit Charm will sell for over 100K on most servers, and is obtained by killing the low level NM Jaggedy Eared Jack in West Ronfaure. This sounds easy. But Jack is a lottery spawn NM, so you have to kill every Forest Hare around to even have a chance of getting him. And even then it could take hours, if not days, of trying before he'll spawn. And then, once you've got lucky enough for him to actually spawn, there's only a 1% chance that he'll drop the Charm. This is just an example, and there are a lot more NMs around. However, the ones that are likely to get you the most reliable dosh are usually camped to buggery. However, if you're willing to put the effort in and you're lucky enough, you can get really rich.

I'm currrently levelling up to try out a higher percentage drop to see how that goes for me. I'll let you know if it turns out OK.

Ultimage
07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Be a RDM and have friends. They drag me to stuff that makes me gil. Heck, I did Up In Arms and a KC dropped, haven't farmed since (sell and split, but I'm cheap so I've lived off it for years). Before that, misc. BCs and stuff took care of the little gil I spent. Also, I got dragged into an ENM static that takes care of the rest.

Yeargdribble
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I sell everything. Of course, it takes an army of mules (limited AH/inventory space), but I gather things into stacks from leveling and sell them.

Since my wife and I have come back the ONLY thing we've done is level jobs from 1-20. Most of them were already there so we've mostly just done a handful from 10-20.

We've literally made 1M gil from selling random crap like sheep/rabbit hides, crystals, seeds, etc.

Since soloing is so easy these days you could easily pick some jobs and level them with nearly no gear and just make some easy money as well as gather beastman seals.

Quindiana Jones
07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
We've literally made 1M gil from selling random crap

made 1M gil

1M gil

:drool:

Have yet to breach the 10K barrier. xD

Ouch!
07-20-2009, 03:19 AM
I regularly do A Sheep in Antlion's Clothing, the ENM which has a 10.7% chance of dropping hagun (~2,800,000 G on our server) with Omecle and a friend from our linkshell. We've been doing it every Friday for a month now, and it's been going fairly well. Three forager's mantles, a cloud evoker, and one hagun in four runs is hard to beat.

I also do ISNM 3,000 Shadows of the Mind with some regularity as well. In five runs, I've gotten two khroma ores from it, and even when it doesn't go well, you'll usually walk away with equal or more what you could make from the IS if you'd spent it selling imperial gold pieces.

I irregularly do the same thing as Del Murder--purchasing scrolls and selling them for a small profit on the Auction House. I've had so much other stuff in my AH lately that I haven't been able to do this quite as well.

I also gil garden with my main character and three mules. I purchase wildgrass seeds in Aht Urhgan Whitegate at 360G each. Combine those with a lightning crystal and the yields are water crystals, azouph greens, and sharug greens. Each pot can yield 8-20 of the greens which can be sold at full fame for 255 G each at your friendly local NPC. I pull in anywhere from 100,000 - 130,000 G every six days doing this.

Also, although I haven't done it in a while, I usually throw myself at some BCNMs as well, although I don't tend to have as much luck with those as I have had with ENMs and ISNMs.

Yeargdribble
07-20-2009, 12:29 PM
My understanding of the current way a lot of people (including RMT) are making money is through the following gardening trick.

1. Buy Wildgrass Seeds.
2. Plant them in 10 pots per character that you want to do it on.
3. Feed Water Crsystals.
4. Vendor the results
5. ???
6. Profit!!

No seriously, minus step 5. I looked into it about the resale value of the random crap you grow and you make more than you put into it. If you were doing this on an army of mules (which I have) you'd make several 100k a week for barely any effort.

As for old school when the economy was different. I used to...

1. Buy up a lot of zinc ore (100kish)
2. Have my wife turn it in on a mule in Bastok for Norg fame.
3. Buy the airship pass to Kazham (150kish)
4. I would Mazurka her level 1 all the way to Norg
5. Pick up Ninja scroll quests.
6. Walk the level 1 through them.
7. Mail the scrolls to one of my mules from Norg.
8. Delete level 1 alt and start over again.

This was back whn Utsusemi would sell for around the 1M mark and the other scrolls combined would hit about another 1M.

If we'd bought up zinc ore throughout the week on several mules we could easily make 3-4 trips on a single weekend in only a few hours time since we had it down so well. This would easily net us obviously several millions and the 250k spend on airship passes and such was a non-issue.

Ultimage
07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I regularly do A Sheep in Antlion's Clothing, the ENM which has a 10.7% chance of dropping hagun (~2,800,000 G on our server) with Omecle and a friend from our linkshell. We've been doing it every Friday for a month now, and it's been going fairly well. Three forager's mantles, a cloud evoker, and one hagun in four runs is hard to beat.

You must be the luckiest people in the world. That's the same ENM I do every week and we probably average one good item a month. Most of the time, that good item is the Galateia.

AFKing by the Warp Taru in Whitegate overnight with a stack or two of silver coins is pretty good.

If you want to talk about low level ideas, I used to spend a few hours a night farming Wild Onions in the middle tower in East Sarutabaruta. I would stay there until I got five stacks of onions, which would get me about 50k. If I would have had the room to I would have killed everything. I would kill the goblins in a specific order so that by the time I got back to the beginning, the mobs would be respawning (or I would have to wait a few seconds). I did it as a level 25 THF and I was able to one-shot everything I fought with a boomerang throw (when I didn't miss).

Del Murder
07-20-2009, 11:07 PM
We've literally made 1M gil from selling random crap

made 1M gil

1M gil

:drool:

Have yet to breach the 10K barrier. xD
Well I've made about 4M with my method.

I also check Bazaars in Jueno and see if anyone is selling stuff at a discount. They often are. FFXIah.com is your friend.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I think I'll be doing what you do from now on, Del Murder.

Ouch!
08-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Royale Ramble, a KSNM 30, is a guaranteed orichalcum ore with a chance at getting some additional nifty drops. I've started doing this as well as the others.