PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack to the World's End

Vice Nebulosa
07-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Alright, just came off a sizable writing frenzy last night, and am about to embark on the next one, but some forum action is a convenient diversion beforehand. ^_^ This is another music selection game, but it relies upon careful choice rather than randomization. Very little writing is involved; all that is required is a list of 10-15 tracks, and a concise caption for each to suggest the imagery involved.

In general, human existence (and/or its host planet) is ending, and its dissolution cannot be reversed. Is it a violent calamity with various degrees of brutal destruction? Is it a calm, sentimental thing? Is it the subject of your awe or outrage? Are you the figure at the head of the ruins – the species’ final historical figure – are you a thoughtful watcher, or is the destruction out of any human’s hands? Cast the situation in whatever light you prefer (one does not need to be a “humanity-hater” in order to come up with imagery for the event), but assemble the core soundtrack you would use to end the world. What should be the last melodies we hear?

As may be obvious, I will be writing from the perspective of one who is directly responsible for the ensuing chaos. Important aesthetic imagery for me includes a long, dark coat, and an overall deep blue “aura” to my presence. In no particular, Vice Nebulosa’s soundtrack to the world’s end:

1. “One Winged Angel” – Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Nobuo Uematsu)

Caption: No horses; just one man.

2. “Main Title” – Hitman: Blood Money (Jesper Kyd)

Caption: What has never been done; the unprecedented act.

3. “Old Snake” – Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Caption: Burning my possessions – destroying the rudder. There will be no reversing this course.

4. "The Howling” – Within Temptation

Caption: Mayhem; illusions crashing down with the skyscrapers.

5. “The Poet and the Pendulum” – Nightwish

Caption: What required destruction; what needed sacrificing.

6. “Decisive Battle with Magus” – bLiNd (bLiNd remixer, Yasunori Mitsuda)

Caption: You cannot change my mind, nor can you wrap yourself in an old morality. You can only try to stop me. Proceed.

7. “Zeal Palace” – Chrono Trigger (Yasunori Mitsuda)

Caption: The death of all delusion; every housewife with hope, every conqueror with ambition.

8. “Prelude to the Denouement” – Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Caption: I am not exempt from this fate.

9. “Godsibb” – Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Yuki Kajiura)

Caption: Tearing a planet asunder; the duet of one man and nature (my own efforts + the planet’s responding natural disasters).

10. “Dragon God” – Chrono Cross (Yasunori Mitsuda)

Caption: The choice: destroy all the potential that ever was, and would have been, or be studied and pitied in the history books of another race. Leave no traces.

11. “Davy Jones” – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (Hans Zimmer)

Caption: Hear how the storm howls.

12. “No Regrets (Chapter V)” – Saga

Caption: The storm ebbs, and the clouds break. This is the sanest thing ever done; everyone left must accept their dissolution.

13. “[Cello] Suite No. 5 in C Minor (BWV 1011) – Prelude” – Bach

Caption: See how the smoke blots the sun.

14. “Life ~ Faraway Promise” – Chrono Cross (Yasunori Mitsuda)

Caption: The final blast. This is for all I thought, created, and endured. For all I never released. To the few worthy of being called my kin; to the old comrades long gone. Maybe the universe will be left with an imprint – not of what I was, but what I could have been, past the limits of what was possible here.

Rantz
07-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I'd do as you've asked, but I honestly can't think of anything more appropriate than to just play the album "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" by Explosions in the Sky from beginning to end. It's like it was made for the occasion. :greenie:

Vice Nebulosa
07-20-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd do as you've asked, but I honestly can't think of anything more appropriate than to just play the album "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" by Explosions in the Sky from beginning to end. It's like it was made for the occasion. :greenie:

But captions, mate; the captions are more or less the point of this exercise. :erm: Have heard of neither the group nor the album you have suggested (ergo, I have no idea what perspective you have taken the issue from), so imagery details are demanded of you! :mad2:

Rantz
07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Alright, since you're so persistent and since I do enjoy your threads. xD The album only having five songs may also have something to do with my caving in (although they're each ~9-10 minutes long, so there's plenty of time for epos). I'm just going to basically retitle the tracks, though, I don't have the energy to do more than that. :)

Explosions in the Sky - The World is Not a Cold Dead Place (although soon enough it will be! —Ed.)

First Breath After Coma —> Rumour
The Only Moment We Were Alone —> Panic
Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean —> Realisation
Memorial —> Part I: The Wait; Part II: The Blast, and Was That It?; Part III: The Real Blast
Your Hand In Mine —> Requiem

That will have to do. I recommend the album, it's one of my all-time favourites. ;)

Vice Nebulosa
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Alright, since you're so persistent and since I do enjoy your threads. xD The album only having five songs may also have something to do with my caving in

Ah; it is a charity thing, then. ;) Understood. :erm:

Explosions in the Sky - The World is Not a Cold Dead Place (although soon enough it will be! —Ed.)

First Breath After Coma —> Rumour
The Only Moment We Were Alone —> Panic
Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean —> Realisation
Memorial —> Part I: The Wait; Part II: The Blast, and Was That It?; Part III: The Real Blast
Your Hand In Mine —> Requiem

That will have to do. I recommend the album, it's one of my all-time favourites. ;)

Interesting. Did a small amount of reading on the band in question; it is an album of instrumentals being discussed, right? In that vein, is it a rock-dominated concept, or are orchestral aspects involved with any kind of heft . . . ?

NeoCracker
07-20-2009, 11:21 AM
The world will end as we all get our asses kicked to Sir-mix-a-lots' Baby Got Back.

Rantz
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Alright, since you're so persistent and since I do enjoy your threads. xD The album only having five songs may also have something to do with my caving in

Ah; it is a charity thing, then. ;) Understood. :erm:
What the hell do you want from me! :laugh: No, it was because I felt guilty setting an example with my laziness.

Interesting. Did a small amount of reading on the band in question; it is an album of instrumentals being discussed, right? In that vein, is it a rock-dominated concept, or are orchestral aspects involved with any kind of heft . . . ?

It's pretty much three electrical guitars and a set of drums, most of the time. I'm not quite sure how to actually describe it, seeing as I've heard nothing quite like it... It's a sort of epic instrumental rock with orchestral tendencies, I suppose? Although that description will surely give you some misconceptions as well. Here's a taste (http://www.imeem.com/xvander01/music/atqgTwnU/explosions-in-the-sky-first-breath-after-coma/).

Sword
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
"Turn back time" from the Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack is quite fitting I believe.

Vice Nebulosa
07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
What the hell do you want from me!

Base nutrients and superhuman abilities! :frust:

No, it was because I felt guilty setting an example with my laziness.

*Glances over remaining thread, nods* It appears to have caught on. ;)

It's pretty much three electrical guitars and a set of drums, most of the time. I'm not quite sure how to actually describe it, seeing as I've heard nothing quite like it... It's a sort of epic instrumental rock with orchestral tendencies, I suppose?

Sounds quite cool. It would be a difficult thing to make sure that A) three interweaving parts for the same instrument in a rock style are maintained, and B) that their edgier sounds do not drown each other out. Of course, perhaps my imagination is running away with the concept on me; this is the man who is accustomed to single, relatively clear guitar lines in his music -- two at the most, as far as I'm aware. :erm:

Although that description will surely give you some misconceptions as well. Here's a taste (http://www.imeem.com/xvander01/music/atqgTwnU/explosions-in-the-sky-first-breath-after-coma/).

Dial-up. :\ And not even 56K; this is about 45333bps we are talking about. :eep: And if the tracks are as long as both you and my research have indicated . . . yeah . . . :erm:

The world will end as we all get our asses kicked to Sir-mix-a-lots' Baby Got Back.
"Turn back time" from the Neon Genesis Evangelion soundtrack is quite fitting I believe

Oh, for Gods' -- :eep:

The first post is actually worth reading, everyone. :laugh: