PDA

View Full Version : Can't hear my, can't hear my, can't hear my nervous voice.

Rye
07-20-2009, 04:21 AM
When you're nervous, does your voice change weirdly? I know for young boys like Sygsag, their voices go squeaky! :bigsmile:

When I answer the phone at work, sometimes I manage to be really polished, but a lot of the time I get taken aside that I stutter and get nervous. I get tongue tied really easily, reverse my letters, or a sudden nervous lisp comes out, or I'll talk like people sound with Crest Whitestrips in and I'll say something like "Shee" when I'm trying to say "See." I sound so ridiculous!

Don't be embarassed! :hahaha:

Madame Adequate
07-20-2009, 04:22 AM
If I get really bad it's like my tongue has swollen up in my mouth and become completely dry.

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2009, 04:22 AM
When Im not sure of what Im saying I mumble. When Im public speaking I stutter.

Momiji
07-20-2009, 04:24 AM
My nervous voice is high and shaky.

Bunny
I talk too fast.

Rye
Oh, that reminds me. Ironically, I'm a pretty great public speaker except when I'm doing power points (I hate going between reading points and speaking) presentation. It's talking to people more personally when I get all tounge tied and icky mouthed. :x

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2009, 04:26 AM
I stutter a little and start talking all fast and my eyes go all wide like OoO when I'm nervous.

Bunny
07-20-2009, 04:26 AM
Oh, that reminds me. Ironically, I'm a pretty great public speaker except when I'm doing power points (I hate going between reading points and speaking) presentation. It's talking to people more personally when I get all tounge tied and icky mouthed. :x

Don't mind me.

Rye
07-20-2009, 04:27 AM
I suppose you do that to all the women you talk to, Bun Bun? :aimkiss:

Bunny
07-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Make fun of them?

Yeah pretty much.

NeoTifa
07-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Mine goes up 3 octaves, so therefore, only small dogs can hear it.

Freya
07-20-2009, 04:33 AM
I talk too fast.

Kirobaito
07-20-2009, 05:11 AM
I'm much more nervous speaking in private, where I'm supposed to look people in the eye, than I do in public speaking (where I can afford not to).

rubah
07-20-2009, 05:22 AM
I'm sure I stutter more than necessary, but I dont' think the tone of my voice changes.

Giggles
07-20-2009, 05:27 AM
It pains me to say it, but whenever I'm nervous I start giggling uncontrollably. And thus! I am Giggles.

Aydin
07-20-2009, 05:30 AM
I stutter a lot when I get nervous but it's not just my voice that shows it. I get clumsy too!

Tama2
07-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Tongue tied, lisp, and stuttering starts to creep it's way in when I get nervous.

~*~Celes~*~
07-20-2009, 06:09 AM
I stutter a little and start talking all fast and my eyes go all wide like OoO when I'm nervous.

Fonzie
07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
I have a hvait of talkign really fast luijke when i'm in a nervous postion xD

Tama2
07-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Don't post anymore right now Fonz. xD

Rodarian
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
I talk a mile a minute and I eat the words when I get a lil excited...

If I'm not careful, my voice sounds like female on the phone :P

Now don't get fresh on me!

Heath
07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I talk very quickly and sound either more Scouse or more posh as a result. I have to actively try to slow myself down when I'm nervous, which isn't always the easiest task.

Rachran
07-20-2009, 11:18 AM
well when i get really annoyed and i dont wanna yell my voice goes high.
When i do assignments at school with scripts longer than 1000 words or i talk really fast.
When i have a short script that i can memorize im good except once or twice or short speeches ive been marked down for being to casual.

Rantz
07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
If I get nervous when speaking in person, I don't think my voice changes as much as my body language does. My arms will either be all aflutter trying to compensate for the words I can't find, or my whole body will struggle to show just how UTTERLY INTERESTED I am in the conversation.

If I get nervous when speaking in public:

it's like my tongue has swollen up in my mouth and become completely dry.

Breine
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I haven't really noticed, so no I don't think so?

But, when I'm nervous I tend to scrath myself on the arms and in the neck for some reason :bigsmile:

Jiro
07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
My voice gets shaky when I'm nervous. It doesn't get high though, luckily. However, when I talk normally I have slightly more saliva than average people and so sometimes I slur my words together. :p

Zeldy
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I work on a shopfloor so I always have to approach customers and it's really embarrasing as I still don't really know what I'm chatting on about usually. I generally speak very fast anyway because of my accent (I am NOT a scouser I just have scouse TENDANCIES) but I go even quicker and end most sentences by going "so.... urm yeah".

Psychotic
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
My voice goes really loud.

Iceglow
07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Well I'm not so bad anymore not since I worked for Sainsbury's having to do the customer service announcements on the tannoy system and calls for colleagues to go to the CSD/Tills. I remember the last time I truly got badly tongue tied about public speaking was in high school and I had to do a small part in a school play and I couldn't do it (I was yr 7, I looked out and was like "hellz no!" and rooted to the spot outside of the wings) Thankfully one of my mates quickly stepped up and went and done my piece their costume was near identical to mine anyhow so it fitted in. They never forced me to do that again then in Year 8 I had to do open evening for the Science dept which helped some and in Year 9 we had a local chemistry and biology challenge my school won and so I had to go give a speech I remember standing at the pulpit on the stage in front of everyone and speaking so fast that I got tongue tied and chewed my sentence up this made me pause and I nearly pannicked however I looked at the group and thought "fuck this I'm going to look like a bigger twat if I just run away now and I can't run forever" cracked a joke about being tongue tied drawing a lot of laughter and restarted the speech and done it perfectly. That pretty much gave birth to the me of today I don't really get nervous now apart from when I'm lying about stuff.

scrumpleberry
07-21-2009, 02:54 PM
When I'm uncomfortable in a social situation I just get either quieter and quieter, or I over compensate by being too loud. If I'm nervous when speaking in front of a bunch of people my mind goes blank and my voice shakes a little.

Lawr
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
When you're nervous, does your voice change weirdly? I know for young boys like Sygsag, their voices go squeaky! :bigsmile:

Oh you. :bigsmile:

But I think when I'm nervous I do what scrumpleberry said here.

I over compensate by being too loud. If I'm nervous when speaking in front of a bunch of people my mind goes blank and my voice shakes a little.

Burtsplurt
07-21-2009, 08:42 PM
My voice goes croaky and I tend to sound a lot more Geordie than I do usually. Maybe this is so that people can't understand the nervous rubbish that I'm spouting.

Luckily, it doesn't happen too often. I've had to do a fair bit of speaking/ shouting since becoming a teacher.

trancekuja
07-21-2009, 08:44 PM
I sound terrible enough without being nervous. People with my type of unpleasant voice should be made with mute button.