PDA

View Full Version : Iiiiiit's Spoony!

NeoCracker
07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm sure you all remember The Spoony Experiments review of FF VIII a couple years ago, the one that was never completed.

Well, recently Spoony had picked up and completed his review, about two years later. :p

I would link you to it, but that last review has some 'slightly' inappropria images regarding Rinoa (AKA A Whore) and Seifer. :p

So, I'm sure you all know how to find, or already know where his site is, so go go go!

Sword
07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I used to bloody hate this guy because a lot of his arguments for hating the game were smurfing stupid but I've grown to like him. He's quite funny like.

EDIT: Hahaha I just watched it. It was freaking hilarious. Even though he got lots of stuff wrong lol :P

BG-57
07-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I love FFVIII, but I still found his reviews hilarious. That being said, he's at his best when going after truly bad games, like Make My Video or Samurai Zombie Nation.

ReloadPsi
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, he points out a lot of incredibly stupid things about FF8's plot. Of all the games in the series, this was the one where it really felt as though they were making it up as they went along.

Skyblade
07-21-2009, 02:29 AM
This is a hilarious review, thanks for posting it.

Currently, however, I'm trying to figure out just where the heck I heard that two second music clip from (the one that plays in Part 8 right after Pu Pu's spaceship flies off with the Easter Island statue). It's driving me bonkers.

BG-57
07-22-2009, 12:28 AM
It's the X Files theme, by D.J. Dado.

Laddy
07-22-2009, 01:17 AM
I love Spoony. His Phantasmagoria 2 Let's Play is God.

Vyk
07-22-2009, 02:31 AM
That was awesome. As entertaining as the Angry Video Game Nerd

Skyblade
07-22-2009, 03:16 AM
It's the X Files theme, by D.J. Dado.

Thanks, BG. Never would have gotten that on my own. I've only seen the show once or twice.

Vyk
07-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Is it sad the he brought up a lot of valid points I never worried about previously that made me respect the game less? Though I don't think I've ever really enjoyed the game a lot because of a lot of issues it has with character development and plot holes and such. Good to get a nice laugh out of them though. That bit about calling Rinoa A Whore who learns Anal tricks had me in tears. Good stuff

Skyblade
07-22-2009, 03:40 AM
It doesn't make me respect the game less. I try to keep an open mind about games I play. I know FFVIII wasn't perfect, that it had plot holes and character problems. I have always known that. Does that make the game any less enjoyable? Not in my opinion. You can enjoy a story with plot holes, and you can enjoy characters with flaws. Rabidly defending games with problems is pointless and foolish. If you enjoy it, what else matters? Defending flaws mindlessly only helps you to overlook more flaws in the future, and before you know it, you're defending games that don't deserve defense.

BG-57
07-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks, BG. Never would have gotten that on my own. I've only seen the show once or twice.

Sure thing. :)

I love his reviews, but few things match Naked Zombie Sean Connery in hilarity.

I found FFVIII emotionally satisfying, if not necessarily coherent scriptwise. I happened to enjoy the sidequests, Triple Triad, the character and weapon designs. Musicwise, I'm lukewarm about Eyes on Me, although the soundtrack is excellent overall.

McLovin'
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh God I rofled at the Winhill/Star Wars segment and every time he mentioned Diablos as the devil xD

And in the prison one of the lines is:

Mean Guy: Which one of you is A Whore?
Rinoa: I'm A Whore!

i burst.

And could anyone get the FF8: Finale one to work? Just keeps on loading forever for me on his site.

BG-57
07-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Try clicking on the link for the bite sized version. Much faster load time.

Have you seen his T shirt for sale that has Diablos and a caption refering to Teh Satan?

McLovin'
07-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Maybe he actually likes the game and through sheer genius-ness he thought of bashing it. I mean he does have a freakin Squall outfit, Triple Triad cards and fucking action figures! XD

Sword
07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Maybe he actually likes the game and through sheer genius-ness he thought of bashing it. I mean he does have a freakin Squall outfit, Triple Triad cards and smurfing action figures! XD

I suspect this as well lmao.

NeoCracker
07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Watching the commentary, he got the squall outfit just for these reviews, and the Figurines were a gift from a fan. :p

Big D
07-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Nonetheless, the guy's clearly played through the game enough to know it inside and out, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't one of his favourites back in the day :p

That was a rather thorough and amusing review, even though I love FFVIII myself. He makes a slew of valid criticisms about the plot, especially Ellone's selfish and dopey plan, and the mighty deus ex Ragnarok.

:edit: Also, yay for the completely random Star Trek III parody/reference at the end:)

NeoCracker
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
He hardly knows the game inside and out. He missed the parts hinting at the father/son relationship, he had gotten emails from fans of the game telling him easier ways to get magic then countless drawing, and even thought that chick with Laguna at the end was actually Julia, thinking she just came around in the end and liked the guy.

I believe he also missed the optional Laguna Flashback.

Big D
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Good point, it did fail to grasp some of the basics, including what Ultimecia had to gain by compressing time: absolute power.

What I meant was, he's clearly someone who's played the game well enough to grasp the gameplay mechanics and the general gist of the plot. The commentary makes it clear where the gaps are, and he all but admits that he actually kinda likes the game anyway.

NeoCracker
07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
The gameplay and plot is easily grasped the first play through. :p

And I don't recall the commentary stating anywhere he liked the game, and don't really remember where it was implied. THough I have nothing at all to do today, so I might as well watch it again to make sure. :p

BG-57
07-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Given his penchant for naming his characters I can't help but think of I Write Sins Not Tragedies every time I see Rinoa in his review.