PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new DS or PSP RPG. Suggestions?

Magixion
07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
As the title states, I am looking for a new handheld RPG. The latest one I played was Crisis Core for PSP and I need something new to quench my thirst for RPG goodness.

I am thinking of either Suikoden Tierkreis, Devil Survivor, or even Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (I think thats the title.)

What does everyone suggest?

Zerokku
07-20-2009, 06:29 PM
For the DS -

Chrono Trigger if you haven't played it before. One of the best RPGs ever, and (in my opinion) superior to anything in the FF series.

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.

SMT: Devil Survivor is also pretty fun, but I'd recommend these two over it.

Agent Proto
07-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I think you might enjoy Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS. It's a remake of the first Fire Emblem for the NES that follows Prince Marth. Maybe you won't enjoy it.

Elly
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
i am totaly hooked on SMT: Devil Survivor right now so i would definately suggest that one as well as The World Ends With You, both on DS, for PSP i would suggest the remakes of Star Ocean 1 & 2...

Raistlin
07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I have not played Suikoden Tierkreis yet, but I have heard pretty good things about it from people whose opinions I respect, so I'm planning on getting it myself. It should be a good choice, especially if you're a fan of the series.

Zeromus_X
07-20-2009, 09:37 PM
DS:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy IV, V
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV, V (VI if that comes out?)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

PSP:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Star Ocean: First Departure, Second Evolution
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Jeanne d'Arc
Disgaea 1 and 2
Tales of Eternia
Brave Story

Bunny
07-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I have not played Suikoden Tierkreis yet, but I have heard pretty good things about it from people whose opinions I respect, so I'm planning on getting it myself. It should be a good choice, especially if you're a fan of the series.

Diehard, ignorant fans of the series will probably be disappointed in it. For the rest of the fanbase though, it's a pretty good game. It's not groundbreaking in any real way, but it's still a damned good play. It's a good introduction to the series for anyone who hasn't played a Suikoden game before, I think.

Rostum
07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Wizard of Oz RPG Announced For DS - VGChartz - Video Game Charts News Reviews Cheats Tips FAQs Walkthroughs Forums (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4391)

I hope if they continue in a series it follows Baum's books closely.

Vermachtnis
07-20-2009, 11:49 PM
DS:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy IV, V
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV, V (VI if that comes out?)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

PSP:

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Star Ocean: First Departure, Second Evolution
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Jeanne d'Arc
Disgaea 1 and 2
Tales of Eternia
Brave Story

All of that and Class of Heroes for PSP. It's a fun 1st Person Dungeon Crawler.

SomethingBig
07-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Is there any way to turn off the voices in Tierkreis? It's got easily the worst voice acting I've ever heard and I just can't play the damn game because of it.

Momiji
07-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
The World Ends With You
Dragon Quest IV (and V, and VI when it comes out)
Disgaea DS (lower quality compared to the PS2 game, obviously, but you get to play as Pleinair and it's sooooo worth it)

JKTrix
07-21-2009, 04:17 AM
Is there any way to turn off the voices in Tierkreis? It's got easily the worst voice acting I've ever heard and I just can't play the damn game because of it.

Word. But unfortunately no. I would just turn the DS sound off and listen to my iPod if the music wasn't so good. It's bittersweet.

For something quite different, as the Dept. Heaven games tend to be, there's Knights in the Nightmare. 'Nother game that could use some more love is Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. Not Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, not Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon (though that's not on handheld yet), Shiren the Wanderer.

There is, of course, Pokemon on its own.

Without getting a whole lot into spoilers, Valkyrie Profile DS does something that really brings me to a screeching halt in games--characters having permanent death. Fire Emblem did it (though I think the DS game has a mode where it doesn't happen), Valkyria Chronicles did it (preeeetty hard to get somene to perma-die). However in VP DS, there are some situations where you are strongly encouraged to essentially sacrifice your teammates. I can't handle that, I'm too loyal to my little digital people.

Digging a little deaper, LostMagic was a nifty, early RTSRPG where you casted spells by drawing runes on the screen. Nothing mindblowing, but good fun.

Just shining a light on things other than Squenix and high-profile Atlus games! I do love me some Devil Survivor and Dragon Quest 4/5 though.

Momiji
07-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Shiren. I picked it up a few days ago and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. :p

Magixion
07-21-2009, 04:22 PM
So, I picked up Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and Suikoden Tierkreis.

I have yet to play Suikoden yet, but I am actually really enjoying VP. The whole aspect of using the Plume on allies really, really makes it interesting. It really makes you think about your actions and if it is worth it to sacrifice your teammates for that one win.

Dolentrean
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
World Ends With You is pretty cool. Sadly I never got to finish it, need to pick it up again.

Also "The World Ends With You" is one the coolest names a game can have. :bigsmile:

Vermachtnis
07-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I picked up Tierkreis today. It's pretty fun. I half agree with SomethingBig about the VA. I mean I don't think it's bad per se. It just seems fast. Really, really fast. The main character sounds like Robin on speed. It's alright in during the anime cutscenes. But otherwise, it's just speedy. I don't if its the game or if the voice actors need to slow down, but it is a little off putting. And I'm pretty tolerant of voice acting. The only time I ever changed was Chaos Wars. That was just awful, this is better than that.