PDA

View Full Version : To die for

Vyk
07-21-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm sitting here watching all these shows about the Apollo missions and history of the moon and whatnot since its the 40th anniversary of the moon landing. And it reminded me of when I was a kid, one of the things I wanted to do most was be an astronaut

But they were just stressing one of the programs about how dangerous walking on the moon can be. You're not used to being so light. You jump around. Don't land properly. Slip on the lunar dust and fall. If you puncture your suit or crack your helmet, you're dead. Not to mention all the hazards of lift-off or re-entry

I'd like to go to space. But I'm not sure it would have been worth it if my rocket explodes before I even make it through the atmosphere. Which we know, tragically, has happened a couple of times...

But to those astronauts it was totally worth it. And they are praised for it

So I'm wondering about the other jobs or activities that could kill you but could also be considered totally worth it

Do any of you want to do any activities that could kill you? Or -have- you done any? Underwater cave diving. Base Jumping. Etc.

Rye
07-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Besides my love of fast driving, I'm a major wimp and I don't do anything like that!

I do really wish I could be a cop though. Cops have it MADE where I live, because they mostly have the traffic beat and not too much dangerous crime. They make a doozy of a salary! Plus, a cop's pension is based entirely on his last year on the force, so like my Uncle did, you just work your ass to the bone for your final year, and you're living the good life at an early retirement. He's only 50, and he's already retired - he moved south and bought a house that's practically a southern manor on a lake in North Carolina outside of Charlotte.

Yes, cops have it made. But I could never be one. I'd be the cop who sobs and hides during a dangerous confrontation. Shame though, a lot of my family is in the force, or was and left at a very powerful position, so I totally have connections. :(

theundeadhero
07-21-2009, 02:05 AM
It's just another day at work.

Vyk
07-21-2009, 02:14 AM
Electrocutions happen frequently at computer stations

I won't even fly because I have no control or guarantees. Its even more dangerous to drive I guess. But at least then it'd be my own fault mostly. Though I've dodged a lot of close calls while driving. Close calls don't usually happen in flight. Usually you either make it or not

Madame Adequate
07-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I'd go to space with those odds. Hell I'd probably go to space with a 50% chance of not making it back.

Sword
07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Hey, either get to walk around in space or die instantly in an explosion. Travelling via space rocket seems like a win win situation to me lol.

G13
07-21-2009, 04:38 AM
I always thought it'd be cool to be an archaeologist, doing the stuff I watched Indiana Jones do.

Vermachtnis
07-21-2009, 04:42 AM
I used to want to be a Power Ranger. But fighting those giant monsters look kind of dangerous.

Darkswordofchaos
07-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Besides my love of fast driving, I'm a major wimp and I don't do anything like that!

I do really wish I could be a cop though. Cops have it MADE where I live, because they mostly have the traffic beat and not too much dangerous crime. They make a doozy of a salary! Plus, a cop's pension is based entirely on his last year on the force, so like my Uncle did, you just work your ass to the bone for your final year, and you're living the good life at an early retirement. He's only 50, and he's already retired - he moved south and bought a house that's practically a southern manor on a lake in North Carolina outside of Charlotte.
Lake Norman?

also i would love to be a motorcycle racer or even a race car driver

Rantz
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Underwater cave diving.

I wanna do this. AND SWIMMING WITH WHALES AND SHARKS IT'S NOT A CHILDISH DREAM :cry:

Iceglow
07-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd go to space with those odds. Hell I'd probably go to space with a 50% chance of not making it back.

Heck MILF for space? I'd go with absoloutely NO chance of ever returning to Earth. Call me reckless and stupid if you must but to see the things out there I'd do it.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a fighter jet pilot. I was pretty driven towards this early in life and was excellent at science and maths unfortunately a combination of peer pressure and a science teacher who "broke" my drive by deliberately trying to make me fail because he didn't like my older sister (why punish me I had nothing to do with it but be related to my family? I never understood his callous actions and if I could I'd still punch him in the face for making me lose my determination and dreams) I suppose the only chance I would have these days is if some kind of super world war broke out where they were forced to conscript troops for the forces and they didn't mind teaching someone how to fly without a physics masters. Probably never going to happen. I can't stand being in an Aisle seat on a plane I get so bored even with books ect I'm just wanting to look out the windows. However if someone gave me the chance to fly fighter jets for a living regardless of the chances of me dying young I'd still leap at the opportunity and take it regardless.