PDA

View Full Version : Origins of The Great Black Mage. *SPOILERS*

Depression Moon
07-21-2009, 02:13 AM
I've just thought of this like two minutes ago. In IX you find out that Vivi was created as the prototype for Kuja's magical army and has a life span that lasts longer than the other black mages.
One thing that wasn't made clear was exactly how Vivi ended up with his grandpa Quan.
If Kuja created him and used his body for tests to improve and create the other black mages, then how did he escape? I imagined that Kuja would keep something like that to him in strict security. I was wondering if there was some kind of in game secret that reveals this or maybe an interview. Or all of you as unsure as I am?

Skyblade
07-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Some awesomeness just can't be contained.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-21-2009, 03:37 AM
It might be insinuated somewhere that he fell out of a passing airship, but the exact details are left vague. Kind of an odd thing to gloss over, really.

:vivi::quina:

McLovin'
07-21-2009, 05:09 AM
He was a prototype but wasn't as good as the real things later created so Kuja probably discarded it. Could have sold it at Treno auction house and Quan bought it :)

Jiro
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I think tossed overboard is more likely than escaped. He was faulty - while his lifespan was substantially longer, Kuja obviously didn't have the desire to test this. He wanted a powerful army, not one that lasted 10 or so years.

Big D
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
It might be insinuated somewhere that he fell out of a passing airship, but the exact details are left vague. Kind of an odd thing to gloss over, really.

:vivi::quina:It's not at all insinuated - it's right there in a hidden cut-scene at Quan's home. Quan was out on his pier 'fishing' into the Mist one day, and his line snagged Vivi, presumably off a passing airship as Kishi says. At first, Quan only kept Vivi because he thought the Black Mage would grow into a culinary curiosity, but he soon warmed to the little guy and raised him as family.

I don't quite recall how to view that cut-scene; I believe it involves visiting Quan's pier during disc 3, perhaps with Vivi and Quina in the party.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM
It's not at all insinuated - it's right there in a hidden cut-scene at Quan's home. Quan was out on his pier 'fishing' into the Mist one day, and his line snagged Vivi, presumably off a passing airship as Kishi says.

I remember that now. Man, I love ATEs. :zidane:

Depression Moon
07-21-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't recall that All I remember as the closest thing was when you came back there with Vivi and Quina in your party and then Quina trips out and thinks there's food in front of her and pretends to eat and then Quan shows, and then Quale and then they talk a bit and Vivi was feeling said that he saw the ghost of his grandfather while Zidane was standing back and thinking they were crazy.