PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragon

arcanedude34
07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
I recently finished reading Red Dragon (for those of you who don't know, it's the first book released with the Hannibal Lecter character) and want to see the movie. The trouble is, there's two movies, Manhunter and Red Dragon. Overall, which of the two should I see if I were to only see one version?

For the thread topic, you could discuss the novel or movies.

charliepanayi
07-21-2009, 09:47 PM
There's nothing to stop you seeing both. Manhunter is much better in my opinion anyway.

Shiny
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
In regards to the Red Dragon film, I thought Silence of the Lambs was better. There were times when I found it a bit too dry. I can't say anything about Manhunter cuz I haven't seen it.

arcanedude34
07-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Silence of the Lambs is based on the sequel to the first book which I haven't read yet and I have a big issue with seeing the movie before reading the book.

BG-57
07-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I've seen both version and there's much to admire about both. The slant on Manhunter is more towards Will's end of the investigation and Red Dragon (the movie) focuses more on Francis Dollarhyde and Reba.

Stylistically Manhunter looks better (same visual look as the original Miami Vice), although it's a little odd seeing someone else than Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal. I happen to like sympathetic monsters (like in Frankenstein or Peeping Tom), so I prefer Red Dragon. Ralph Fiennes and Emily Watson do such a great job of portraying the humanity of their characters, we forget how their situation was cliche in silent movies a monster and a blind girl who doesn't see his monstrosity.

Darkswordofchaos
07-22-2009, 04:12 AM
I didnt really like reddragon all that much i much prefered silince of the lambs and hannable rising ive never seen manhunt though

sephireland
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Red Dragon (book) is amazing.

Manhunter (movie) is fantastic but bitches out at the end.

Red Dragon (movie) has a brilliant opening sequence, amazing ending too but it all seems like a love letter to Silence of the Lambs in between.