PDA

View Full Version : TSI Exemptions

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I guess this is a question for my fellow Texans.

A student with an ACT composite score of at least 23 and an English score of at least 19 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.

My English ACT score was 25, but my Writing was a 2, so my combined English/Writing score came out to 18.

It said my English score, so I think I would be exempt, but since its for writing, too, could they mean my English/Writing score?

S:

Kirobaito
07-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I guess this is a question for my fellow Texans.

A student with an ACT composite score of at least 23 and an English score of at least 19 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.

My English ACT score was 25, but my Writing was a 2, so my combined English/Writing score came out to 18.

It said my English score, so I think I would be exempt, but since its for writing, too, could they mean my English/Writing score?

S:
I don't see what the problem is, assuming your composite score was a 23. How is your combined English and Writing score an 18?

If that's what the TSU Web site says, and you're still not sure, call the counseling department or ask during orientation (which I assume you haven't been to yet, because you'd have likely already signed up or not signed up for your freshman writing/research classes). :p They'd understand it better than we would.

Also, isn't the writing optional, anyway?

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Eh, the requirements for my school said I had to take it, but it also said my score wouldn't be taken into consideration when it came to admission.

So it doesn't matter that I got a 2 out of a possible 2-12, I just had to take it period :P

Kirobaito
07-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Eh, the requirements for my school said I had to take it, but it also said my score wouldn't be taken into consideration when it came to admission.

So it doesn't matter that I got a 2 out of a possible 2-12, I just had to take it period :P
That explains it. I was extremely tempted to ask how in the heck you could have done so terribly on it, considering your good score in the English portion, but thought that could have been insulting. :p The lack of it mattering would be my answer. :p

Heck, I didn't even know what the sections were when I took the ACT. I also didn't have a legal calculator. I'm surprised TSU even required you to take it; Baylor did not. I just took it on the off-chance that I could have possibly done better on the ACT than I did on the SAT and bumped up my merit scholarship. No, I got equivalent scores (33=2230). Sigh.

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I just suck at writing and I was dying because it was after the rest of the test. I wrote three sentences that all said the same thing, just rephrased a little xD

I could have taken the SAT instead, but the ACT seemed like something I'd do better with :p