PDA

View Full Version : A debate of great importance

Rye
07-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Soda vs Pop? 1 = .999999? Lame, we have bigger fish to fry. A far more controversial debate. :colbert:

This discussion is about jelly. Jam, if you're a limey. Not the kind you put in your hey-nonny-nonny for birth control, in before House quote. The kind you put on your bread.

The question is...

:ichigo: Strawberry or Grape? http://fairyland.lagernet.com/wiki/images/5/53/Grape.gif

I personally think grape. I didn't even know strawberry jelly existed until about a year ago, embarrassingly enough. I'd never even seen anything but grape until college, when my roommate bought some strawberry jelly and I put it on my bread and I was like "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WHY IS IT RED AND WHY DOES IT TASTE FUNNY?" :aimblush:

Madame Adequate
07-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't even know where to begin, guys. But don't worry. I'll ensure that it is strawberry all the way before long.

Rye
07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Strawberry didn't taste as sweet, and it had little strawberry bits in it that made it taste hard and icky. Yuck! I'm sorry Monda, I'm a strawberry girl, but I like grape jelly! Forgive me! :mymelsad:

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I dont have Jam often enough to notice what type Im eating. Also I prefer ham and cheese on my sandwhiches.

Momiji
07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I've always liked strawberry jelly over grape. Grape jelly is overly sweet and artificial tasting. In fact, grape jelly doesn't even taste like a grape. What's up with that?

By the way, isn't there a difference between jam and jelly-- that is, that jam is the stuff with real fruit pieces in it and jelly is the clear, colorful stuff?

Forget strawberry vs. grape, because that's easily answered. :ichigo:

The real debate here is Jam vs. Jelly! ;)

Madame Adequate
07-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Strawberry didn't taste as sweet, and it had little strawberry bits in it that made it taste hard and icky. Yuck! I'm sorry Monda, I'm a strawberry girl, but I like grape jelly! Forgive me! :mymelsad:

That nice texture is what makes it so NICE.

Edit: Justin, that debate is so complex I'm still not sure what's what. It depends on whether you're speaking British or American English, and which region of which country you're from, and all sorts besides. :p

Rocket Edge
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm not a fan of jelly, but If I had to choose it would easily be grape. Even the smell of strawberry jelly makes me want to get sick. Way too sweet. Also, vodka strawberry jellies are the make of the devil. Out on holiday's we all decided to taste, and immediately it was regurgitated by all. :(

Burtsplurt
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I didn't even realise anyone was silly enough to make grape jam. I thought grapes were used for wine and, um, grapes?

So since I've never tried grape jam, strawberry wins every time (except when apricot is involved. And kumquat is good as well).

Momiji
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Edit: Justin, that debate is so complex I'm still not sure what's what. It depends on whether you're speaking British or American English, and which region of which country you're from, and all sorts besides. :p

Argh, don't tell me this is like the whole 'our fries are your chips and our chips are your crisps and your fries are something completely unrelated' things. It took me forever to catch on to that. :irked:

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Jelly is really what I believe Americans call "Jello" and Jam is the stuff in jars which this topic is about

And seriously whats up with you people calling it "Where's Waldo?" what was wrong with "Where's Wally?"

Momiji
07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Our Jello and Jelly are two different things. Jello is a brand-name gelatin dessert and jelly is like jam but without fruit pieces in it. Come to think of it, it is quite a bit like Jello, but it's not as firm and is incredibly sweet.

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
So do you go around calling it Gelatin Desert when your eating a brand of Gelatin deserts that isnt Jello?

Momiji
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nah, Jello's just the general term used as well. xD

Rocket Edge
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm confused. Was this refering to jam, or actually wobbly, have it with ice-cream jelly?

Momiji
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
You tell me!

The stuff Rye's referring to is the stuff you'd put on toast.

That is, if you guys do that over there. I don't know what to expect from you anymore. :x

Rodarian
07-23-2009, 04:40 PM
:ichigo: [B]Strawberry the ones I have aren't too sweet but they just go well with ream....Yes I eat StrawBerry and cream Sandwiches !!!

Grapes Jams make me feel drunk..... :P

qwertysaur
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Jam has the fruit pieces.

Jelly does not have the fruit pieces.

The difference is simple.

Jelly is different from Gelatin in that Jelly is made with pectin, a plant derived gelling agent mixed with the juice of the desired fruit. Gelatins use collegens, an animal byproduct that is heavally processed.

Europe and Australia use Jelly as a short word for Gelatin, while American names vary and incluse Gels, Jello, and simple Gelatin.

Including the peel in the mixture also changes the preserve into a marmalade.

Anyway the correct answer to the question is Raspberry Jam on Toast or a bagel with cream cheese. :p

Rye
07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Raspberry?!

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/images/avatars/galleries/food/raspberry.gif

Rocket Edge
07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Raspberry jam it is then for me. My grandmother used to make it and I'm not BSing you, it was beyond amazing.

Rodarian
07-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I think I blew a raspberry!!:Eek: *fans his rear*

Shoeberto
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't like jams or jellies :x

Moomba Misstress
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
First off, Raspberry preserves.

Second, my understanding is that jelly is the fake processed stuff you can buy cheap (hence long words you can't pronounce and "flavoring") and jam is actually made with some kinda of fruit in it (mashed up berries and unpronounceable ingredients accompanying), but not quite as natural as preserves...

:moomba:

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh by the way clearly the answer is Rhubarb Jam

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/misc_/JamReaction.jpg

Jess
07-23-2009, 05:42 PM
It's been years since I had any jam on toast, which is strange because I live in a village in England that is famous for it's jam and honeys and yadayada.

I've always liked strawberry and raspberry. I've never even thought of having grape jam. eee. :jess:

scrumpleberry
07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Marmalade! Or foresty fruit jam.

Grape sounds like it would be gross and bland :Z

rubah
07-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Muscadine.

seriously, home made wild grape jelly from fruit you knocked out of a tree yourself?
win

Momiji
07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Marmalade! Or foresty fruit jam.

Grape sounds like it would be gross and bland :Z

It's actually way too sweet and really tastes nothing like a grape.

I don't like marmalade. I hate the taste of citrus peel and such.

Bunny
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I do not like grape jelly or jam.
I do not like them on my toasts.
I do not like them near my posts.

Goldenboko
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Depends what your eating jelly/jam with. PP&J must be done with grape, everything else, strawberry.

Breine
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Out of those two, strawberry. Grape is alright, though.

Other than that there are many delicious types of jam, some are:

Boysen berries, orange and carrot, blackcurrants, strawberry and rhubarb and then also raspberry.

Actually, I like all sorts of jam.

Freya
07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
PB&J! Grape all the way ^_^

Raistlin
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't eat jelly much anymore, though way back when I did I preferred grape.

Rye
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Did that House episode make you lose your appetite for it? xD

Raistlin
07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Not unless that House episode managed to travel back in time about 8 years from when it was released.

Hambone
07-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Eh, I go both ways.

Peegee
07-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Strawbees are sexual fruits.

I don't even know what a grape is good for.

Denmark
07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I used to always have grape jelly on things you put jellies and jams on. (Note my lack of choosing a term and being drawn into that debate, which is not a debate since the two things are different. Look it up in your Funk and Wagnall's).

BUT lately I've been sick of grape jelly (not due to any House episode or any sort of thing like that. got tired of it) so I've been trying other flavors and varieties of fruit spreads. I like blackberries and strawberries and raspberries and thus I like their JAM equivalents.

And Animal Collective's album, Strawberry Jam. But that sort of discussion belongs in The Lounge.

Darkswordofchaos
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
i like grape jelly and strawberry jam :D

Heath
07-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Strawberry jam is the best type of jam. I love strawberry jam on toast. I never really have it otherwise, but it's great on toast. I always make sure to have a jar of jam with me at university because it's something I genuinely enjoy eating.

eestlinc
07-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I prefer a raspberry swirl

Marshall Banana
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Strawberry is the kind that everyone in my house eats. :strawpanties2:

Meat Puppet
07-24-2009, 03:22 AM
blackberry, raspberry, snozzberry, strawberry, I enjoy them all. What do I like best? I can’t say. I can’t be sure of anything anymore.

Jowy
07-24-2009, 03:46 AM
strawberry on waffles, grape on sandwiches.

Rye
07-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Jelly on waffles?!

I would have never thought of that. =O

Bunny
07-24-2009, 03:49 AM
My girlfriend puts peanut butter on her waffles and it makes me choke on my own vomit.

Jowy
07-24-2009, 03:49 AM
man, you're sheltered. :aimsad: eggos and smuckers, gogo.

i think we tried peanut butter on waffles once, i recall not finishing it.

Agent Proto
07-24-2009, 03:51 AM
Strawberry jam AND grape jelly. That's how I roll. :cool:

Raistlin
07-24-2009, 04:03 AM
My girlfriend puts peanut butter on her waffles and it makes me choke on my own vomit.

What. The. Fuck.

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Strawberry jam is superior. Any time you see a PB & J sammich, it's with strawberry jam. That's how Dad did it. That's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. :cool:

Raistlin
07-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Your Iron Man quote lies. Grape jelly is the patriotic decision. Do you hate America?

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 04:27 AM
The colors of the land of the free are red, white, and blue, not purple, white, and blue. My knowledge of America far exceeds yours!

Raistlin
07-24-2009, 04:31 AM
However, blue and red make purple, therefore grape is two of America's colors and strawberry is only one. And just in case you didn't know, two is greater than one.

QED.

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 04:35 AM
A quick Google Image Search of "patriotic jam" produced this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/kodaboa/patrioticjam.jpg

Notice how it's not purple, but red. Google never lies.

Raistlin
07-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Let's say I have two apples. You have one apple. Which one of us has more apples and a better chance of surviving an infestation of locusts when all the other crops die? Yeah, I thought so.

Plus, you can't argue when I've already said QED! That means it was proven!

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-24-2009, 04:49 AM
RASPBERRY JAM FTW!

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
I would just catch a bunch of those pesky locusts and survive on them. Insects are jam-packed with protein. I have no problem with having a locust barbecue(all are invited), locust a la king, or locust cordon bleu. So you can have your two apples, but I'll have a neverending supply of locusts.

Madonna
07-24-2009, 05:22 AM
man, you're sheltered. :aimsad:My Observation Came Ten Years Too Late by Eric Dabrowski

Raspberry clearly wipes the competition across the floor; none of this horrid grape business or a lame strawberry trying to displace the rightful king!

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Raspberries look like big balls of pimples and lose because of this.

oddler
07-24-2009, 11:55 AM
PB&J! Grape all the way ^_^

Indeed, indeed. And what Rye said about the texture of strawberry jelly sums up how I feel about that. Hard and icky.

Timekeeper
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I had never even thought of the possibility of there being such a thing as grape jam...
Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry and other things like that, yea, but grape doesn't seem like something you would be able to make into a jam. This 'Grape Jelly' stuff you speak of seems closer to what you call 'Jello' than what we call 'Jam'
And so I have the question: Is 'Grape Jelly' made from real grapes or just grape flavour?

Unbreakable Will
07-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I do not like grape jelly or jam.
I do not like them on my toasts.
I do not like them near my posts.
Do you like it here or there?
Do you like it anywhere? sorry couldn't resist :p

Personally, strawberry all the way baby. Although seedless blackberry jam is pretty amazing.

Timekeeper
07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
He would not like them here or there.
He would not like them anywhere.
He does not like grape jelly or jam.
He does not like them Will-I-am.

Unbreakable Will
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Hahahahaha, that was epic!
:laugh:

Timekeeper
07-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I was hoping someone would have a name which would rhyme, and then you came along :love:

Iceglow
07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Jam has the fruit pieces.

Jelly does not have the fruit pieces.

The difference is simple.

Jelly is different from Gelatin in that Jelly is made with pectin, a plant derived gelling agent mixed with the juice of the desired fruit. Gelatins use collegens, an animal byproduct that is heavally processed.

Europe and Australia use Jelly as a short word for Gelatin, while American names vary and incluse Gels, Jello, and simple Gelatin.

Including the peel in the mixture also changes the preserve into a marmalade.

Anyway the correct answer to the question is Raspberry Jam on Toast or a bagel with cream cheese. :p

To further expand on this if you mix the fruit juice, zest and sugar with beaten egg yolks and then let that cool it becomes a CURD such as Lemon Curd which is used in sandwiches and stuff like pastry cakes.

To be honest you can get "smooth" jam which is exactly the same as American Jelly so the differential is moot.

I prefer Blackberry Jelly (smooth jam) because it's awesome. Though Strawberry is very cool too.

Crimson
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Strawberry, anyone who disagrees is a commie.

Wine is an exception however, just because.

SomethingBig
07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Strawberry, anyone who disagrees is a commie.
Damn straight! And you know what we do to commies round these parts? Feed them to :bou::bou::bou::bou:!