PDA

View Full Version : Playing Sports

rubah
07-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Does anyone play sports in here? Videogames don't count (I mean come on, it's obvious, look where you're posting) Are there any you'd like to get involved in?

I used to play softball and baseball as a kid. I never wanted to join the high school team, so I stopped after 8th grade, but I still love the sport. I'd say it's probably my favorite to play *and* watch.

In 5th grade we had this 'introduction to new kinds of sports' theme for a while, and we learned how to play badminton, square dance, and stuff. I really really loved badminton. I forgot all about it until leeza mentioned it in a staff thread a few days ago, but it's back on the brain. shuttlecock shuttlecock. I should watch disney's Robin Hood movie just so I can watch Maid Marian pelting her nanny or whoever.

I also love frisbee. My dad taught me how to throw when I was little and I've only gotten better! In freshman year, I had a brief stint on a dodgeball team and kicked some major ass (we were down a player but were still able to keep up with the other team)

I'm pretty dang competitive, which is probably the only thing that comes close to counteracting my laziness and lack of stamina.

SomethingBig
07-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I play tennis, but suck massively at it. I got into it a few years ago and have loved it since. It's the only sport that I can watch on TV and enjoy.

Whenever my friends decide to play football, I play.

I wanna say martial arts, but I don't compete or anything. I do it mainly because it's one of my great passions. I move around from style to style because I want to get a feel for everything that I can. I hope to eventually take classes in Jeet Kun Do (Bruce Lee is my idol surprise surprise), if I ever find a school in NJ.

Raistlin
07-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I played basketball and soccer in high school. I played intramural basketabll in college, as well as refereeing a variety of intramurals. I'll probably try to pick up intramurals again in law school.

Sports are fun. I only consistently watch football, though.

DarkBahamut
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Cricket, Baseball, Football, Basketball, Tennis, and sometimes I play Soccer, but I'm too slow for Soccer.

Burtsplurt
07-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I play a fair bit of football (soccer), usually twice a week. It's the only sport that I'd say I'm actually pretty good at. I also play tennis and squash a bit, but as it's intermittent I haven't really improved much.

I've started doing sprint training recently as well. I didn't think I could be a world class sprinter (being 6'4" and slim), but since seeing Usain Bolt, I'm pretty confident. I'm aiming to be somewhere around 12s by the end of the summer. If I maintain that kind of progress, I should be able to produce a time of 9s (new world record!) by the London Olympics. :cool:

My dad taught me how to throw when I was little and I've only gotten better! ~ rubah

Well done on that! (But girls can't throw :Eek:)

Rocket Edge
07-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I play alot of football (soccer). Other sports I play only occasionally, but I like to keep myself active and fit. I would hate to be a couch potato!

Jiro
07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been doing athletics for 12 or 13 years now. I used to play touch football a bit, and football (soccer). I'm trying out for the school football team soon, because I miss playing it.

Other than that, I've done a few other sports at school like badminton, hockey, futsal, softball, tennis, basketball, ultimate disk. I'm probably more sporty than I am nerdy to be honest :(

Bunny
07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I used to play football, soccer, basketball and baseball on a regular basis throughout elementary and junior high. I had no interest in being on a team throughout high school so I decided to stop playing sports almost altogether. I still occasionally play football and baseball, when I can find other people to play with, but those occasions are few and far between. I also used to play Ultimate Frisbee (or whatever people call it these days) and enjoyed it immensely.

The only sports I have any interest in from a viewer standpoint are football and soccer. I'll go to a baseball game, but can't sit down and watch it on television.

Big D
07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I've done a range of western martial arts - sword, dagger, staff, archery, the like. Traditional stuff drawn from combat manuscripts from various centuries. I've been out of the loop for a few months, though, and planning to get back into it in due course.

Crimson
07-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Same as Big D, martial arts, most specifically Jeet Kune Do and Goyararu for just under 4 months.

I would love to learn weapon practices but the teachers down here refuse to teach the use of blade combat.

Pacifists :mad:

rubah
07-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I think it'd be fun to take up akkido. My dad used to do that as well

Shattered Dreamer
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not really what you'd call a sportsman myself but over the years I've tried my hand. Played Hurling & Gaelic football a bit when I was younger. Was okay at hurling but after getting sent off twice in the same month I got dropped and lost interest.

I love soccer love having an odd kick about but I suck and don't mind admitting it. I did play in a charity 5-a-side tournament in the last semester of college. I was so unfit which made playing against semi-pro athletes my own age torture but it was a lot of fun, I may not of been as fit as most of them but my strength more than made up for it.

Took up weightlifting in my late teens love that need to start at it again big time.

When I came to college 3 years ago I was asked to join an American Football team mainly due to the fact I'm 6 foot & pretty heavy set but my social life in college put that idea to bed fairly quick:tongue:

At some point I intend to try MMA & pro wrestling. Did some backyard wrestling with my friends from around 15-18 gave up when I tore my left shoulder & popped a disc in my back:D All in good fun:tongue:

xXsarahXx
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I used to play a lot of sports, i was goal attack in hockey, left wing in netball, striker in football and i used to swim and dive and play badminton.
Because of all this sport though, i developed osgood schlatters disease in my knees and had to stop playing sports full stop for 3 years. Its been about 6-7 years now and im over the disease but never really got back into the sports.

I Took the Red Pill
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm a pretty serious tennis player. I played volleyball in high school and my friends and I are now dominating a beach volleyball league mostly consisting of completely inadequate 30-somethings. We need to find a more competitive league. I also skateboard, but that's more of an EXTREME SPORT.

trancekuja
07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
In my younger days I was known by these names due to my football skills : Cantona, Zidane, Baggio, Boban etc... Today I'm equally good, but in PES.

Breine
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't play sports at the moment, but I've done some different stuff throughout the years (specifically as a kid):

- Handball (for several years)
- Soccer
- Swimming
- Horseback riding (yes :bigsmile:)
- Dancing

Sports (other than the mentioned) I enjoy include badminton, volleyball, tennis and skiing.