PDA

View Full Version : A Friend you can Rely Aeon

Heath
07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I apologise in advance for the pun in the title and I am a horrible, horrible person for using it.

When I first got FFX, I remember really liking the idea of being able to control your summons and not have them disappear after one attack. I liked the idea of being able to control Ifrit and Shiva and have them do my bidding. The novelty, however, quickly wore off and after a couple of hours I never used them outside of boss battles. Even then it was only if the boss were weak to a certain element, I was in a particular bind or when Yuna had an overdrive that I actually called on them to help. Admittedly they're quite useful cannon fodder too. I just found little incentive to really power them up or use them.

So, FFX forum, did you ever really use your aeons much?

Momiji
07-24-2009, 07:17 PM
My first playthrough of FFX was almost completely Aeon-centric.

It made the game way too easy in some parts, and impossibly hard in others since I never used the other characters. :P

Shiny
07-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I was hellbent on using my characters more so for level whoring. There were certain boss battles, however, where it was almost completely necessary that I use an aeon; particularly the ones with Seymour.

trancekuja
07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I used them a lot if not for efficiency,than for the pleasure of Summoning.

rubah
07-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Aeons were mostly used in the monster arena, and by that, I mean I had Mindy passado the hell out of fenrir and friends.

Tuhkasieni
07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
ive never used much aeons/summons in any final fantasy game, idk, i dont like using them... i used shiva the first time you fought anima and then i used yojimbo/magus sisters on some very unfriendly fiends mostly in the monster arena.

Del Murder
07-24-2009, 11:34 PM
I used them a lot. The Aeons are what make Yuna the best character in that game. She has access to everything everyone else does due to the customization aspect of the game, but she is the only one who can call powerful Aeons. The sisters were exceptionally powerful and were the only thing that allowed me to complete the moster arena.

Goldenboko
07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
The Aeons where much better in the international version (still need to get that now that I have the proper swap magic), because the Overdrives of Anima and the Sisters actually hit multiple times.

blackmage_nuke
07-25-2009, 12:39 AM
As you said Aeons are useful for their overdrives, and as canon fodder for when a boss is about to use a powerful attack. Their actual attack power is rather good too. Summoning is just like any other skill like dark strike or Firaga, you use it when it's appropriate just because you dont use it every battle doesnt mean it's not being used properly. However I never leveled up my aeons abilities

G13
07-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I took full advantage of the ability to control Summons. That's one of my favorite things about X.

Iceglow
07-25-2009, 05:00 AM
I spammed the hell out of X with Aeons even when I had "mastered" the sphere grid purely because I loved doing things like that I even used Ifrit to defeat the limbs of Sin.

Renmiri
07-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Aeons were mostly used in the monster arena, and by that, I mean I had Mindy passado the hell out of fenrir and friends.

Word.

Aeons rocked in the Arena

Shlup
07-26-2009, 01:26 AM
I... think I used my aeons a lot. It's been so long and I blocked most of that game from my memory.

I did like the aeon system better than a standard summon though.

Medi
07-26-2009, 02:44 AM
I mainly use aeons in the arena, and that's usually just against the One Eye enemy so I can get Triple AP weapons and make my characters quite powerful, at which point aeons are rendered moot.

Jiro
07-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I'm finding Aeons far more useful in my current play through than ever before. Yuna was level grinding on Highbridge before Seymour, so the Aeons' stats are through the roof.

It's left the rest of my characters slightly underpowered, which is annoying in some parts. But then I switch in Yuna to save the day.

Markus. D
07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Yup, I got addicted to stat maxing once or twice.

Crimson
07-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Used em for the occasional boss fight and the Monster Arena.

It's smurfing sad that they put that effort into them yet if you actually follow the Sphere Grid right then you almost never NEED them in a normal story run.

Marky Tee
07-26-2009, 07:45 PM
bahmut and his overdrive kicked everythings ass for me

Hambone
07-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Mostly for the monster arena (as part of the common Nemesis strategy) and for the pure pleasure of summoning.

Mestre ninja X
08-17-2009, 04:49 AM
i realy liked to play with the aeons, sometimes u need them sometimes not. what we can do XD

Formalhaut
08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Apart from the monster arena and using Passado with impunity, then I used them for dramatic effect.

Its quite nice finishing off a Boss with says Shiva's Diamond Dust etc.

Its quite sad when you had to Kill them off. That sucked.

Shiva_queen
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I used Anima and the Magus Sisters a lot. But I just really love those Aeons, especially the sisters. They are just so cool and I like to see Yuna dance :D.
Other argument is that in my opinion Anima and the Magus Sisters are the best Aeons. They can really kick some ass. :)

Kyros
12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Anima and Magus Sisters are really the only ones to consider worth using unless you wanted to break the damage limit before having ultimate weapons in which youd summon Bahamut, Mega Flare, dismiss him, and kill the boss/whatever if its still alive.

Darth Cid
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, Aeons broke the game's battle system. Up until a certain point, the end of the game, you could breeze your way through this game with Bahamut.

Namingway
12-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I used mostly Anima and Magus Sisters, but also other ones. I found it handy to be able to summon an aeon just before I knew that a big hit was coming.

Mirage
12-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Aeons make excellent cannon fodder.

Rad Bromance
12-13-2009, 01:40 AM
I used them all the time on my first playthrough. I would do that thing on the harder bosses, like Seymore Flux, where you cheese and just summon one aeon after the other to use their overdrive and then they die, repeat until all of them are dead. It worked well. :D

In fact, VIII and X are really the only two where I used summons regularly throughout the game.

Karifean
12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I only used aeons when required (Besaid fights, Belgmene, Isaaru), in the monster farm and on special occasions. Special occasions are like Anima in Macalania or Chocobo Eater on Mi'ihen Highroad.

Aeons are mighty, but they take away the AP, and that's not good. Till Zanarkand I actually try and get every character into every battle in order to get AP with all chars.

They're pretty nice in the NSGIENC challenge, though, as they also become stronger as you fight random battles. (Yuna's stats make that obsolete later, though)

blackmage_nuke
12-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Aeons are mighty, but they take away the AP, and that's not good.

I dont recall aeons lessening the AP the party gets. If anything they increase the AP because theyre more likely to get overkill

Nebulance
03-08-2010, 03:17 AM
First time through, I used them in big battles against bosses, and when I was really in need of some help to get out of a jam.

Nowadays, I barely use them, as my use of the sphere grid is much much better. I pull out Bahamut almost exclusively, if only for fun. I gave him some extra abilities -- like Full-Life, Zombiestrike, and Curaga. This way, he has, in addition to highest level magic, he can also use white magic and be a totally self-sustaining character in his own right. Leveling up the Aeons (via strength, etc.) is too costly of items that are better utilized on the regular characters.

I imagine once I get Anima and Magus Sisters and make my run at the monster arena, I will have to use them... however, my characters are developing nicely, so it may not be an issue.

I think it comes down to how well you utilize the sphere grid w.r.t. the main characters.