PDA

View Full Version : Please, enlighten me.

Denmark
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Hello. My name is Denmark. (That's not my real name, but just go with it.)

I have never played this game, or any in the series after this one. But this was the first 3-D Final Fantasy game, the first of the games in the until-recently closed marriage between Squeenix and Sony.

And this game is also hugely popular, with both hardcore FF fans and casual gamers. Does this mean it's the best game in the series? That will always be debatable. No one will deny that Final Fantasy 7 is an extremely well-known game, however. There are many "fanboys" and presumably some "fangirls" whose favorite game of the series is this one.

The point of the thread is this: I want you, the people who read Eyes on Final Fantasy's FF7 forum, to tell me what YOU think is so great about this game. I know it's not everyone's favorite, but you're not coming into this forum to constantly flame the game so you must like SOMETHING about it.

Use spoilers where appropriate, though I'm pretty sure everyone (in the world, even if they've never played any Final Fantasy game) already knows about Aeris.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
The world design, where each location interprets a common theme of Shin-Ra's social oppression and exploitation of the world at large, is overwhelmingly effective if you actually pay attention to it.
The soundtrack features some of Uematsu's all-time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3CJZAAz2g&feature=related&fmt=18) greatest compositions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3CJZAAz2g&feature=related&fmt=18) if you look past the low-quality synth in which they're presented.
The pre-rendered backgrounds are beautifully detailed and atmospheric if you look past the blocky polygonal characters running around on them.
That said, those blocky models are capable of much more varied gestures and emotionally evocative motions than any sprites before them. (Barret throwing Biggs into the camera is a favorite, as are the party's various reactions to Aerith's demise.)
The characters are sympathetic and incredibly charming if you look past Cloud's sword, Barret's cussing, Tifa's breasts, etc.
Basically, all the superficial things you're likely to notice first about FFVII are ugly and cynical and lame, but just beneath the surface, there's treasure everywhere.

Sword
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
That said, those blocky models are capable of much more varied gestures and emotionally evocative motions than any sprites before them. (Barret throwing Biggs into the camera is a favorite, as are the party's various reactions to Aerith's demise.)

I didn't cry as much when Aerith died as I did when Tifa reacted to it. You really feel for her when she runs off with her hand over her face :cry:

G13
07-24-2009, 09:30 PM
The world design, where each location interprets a common theme of Shin-Ra's social oppression and exploitation of the world at large, is overwhelmingly effective if you actually pay attention to it.
The soundtrack features some of Uematsu's all-time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3CJZAAz2g&feature=related&fmt=18) greatest compositions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf3CJZAAz2g&feature=related&fmt=18) if you look past the low-quality synth in which they're presented.
The pre-rendered backgrounds are beautifully detailed and atmospheric if you look past the blocky polygonal characters running around on them.
The characters are sympathetic and incredibly charming if you look past Cloud's sword, Barret's cussing, Tifa's breasts, etc.
Basically, all the superficial things you're likely to notice first about FFVII are ugly and cynical and lame, but just beneath the surface, there's treasure everywhere.

This. Everything Kawaii said... and more!

You really should play the game though. People usually choose whichever game they've played the most of, or first, as their favorite. In my case VII was my second FF, and it's one of my all time favorite games. Everything about it captivates you. The music was done in midi-file, which is the main reason I hear people bash it, but it was amazing and effective just the way it was. The animations are blocky yeah, but it was '97, can't really expect much more than what was given. The storyline, while vaguely familiar, was great and it left you wanting more. This game gave me everything I was looking for in an RPG.

Marshall Banana
07-24-2009, 09:48 PM
FFVII is the most unique installment, I think, and it's unrivaled in its ability to traumatize me! Even the world breaking apart in FFVI isn't as horrific as the Sector 7 plate falling down and crushing all of its inhabitants (although it should be, I guess). The scene in which Cloud and company wake up in their open cells to find blood and corpses smeared about? Creeeepy! The music that plays on the world map during disc three while Meteor is visible in the sky? Ahhhhhhh.

Wall Market is unmatched, too. There isn't another Final Fantasy location like it, is there? I can't think of one.

Also, I think of Aerith as the most adorable Final Fantasy heroine, and, because I like her so much, discs two and three feel very empty and depressing to me. Watching the videos of Ifalna and Gast - shortly after Aerith's death - really gets to me. =O

Edit: Cait Sith.

Momiji
07-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Simply said, the soundtrack is absolutely stunning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UARM4q7hHU&feature=related). I love it, and it's probably the only thing that kept me playing.

I really, really, really dislike the rest of it, though.

Del Murder
07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
The game itself was pretty epic and had tons of stuff to do. Also it was unique and the graphics for an RPG were revolutionary for that time. The characters and story were pretty well done but Square always manages that one, same with the music. I think the main draw of this game were the leaps it took with the technology.

G13
07-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Whoa! Hey Del. Are you a fanboy too?

Rantz
07-25-2009, 12:20 AM
FFVII is the most unique installment, I think, and it's unrivaled in its ability to traumatize me! Even the world breaking apart in FFVI isn't as horrific as the Sector 7 plate falling down and crushing all of its inhabitants (although it should be, I guess). The scene in which Cloud and company wake up in their open cells to find blood and corpses smeared about? Creeeepy! The music that plays on the world map during disc three while Meteor is visible in the sky? Ahhhhhhh.

Yes, I agree with this very much. I'm also fond of the Materia system which had strong connections to the plot, something which I miss in many other installments.

Raistlin
07-25-2009, 12:21 AM
I mostly agree with Kishi's point about the characters; they were all interesting and well-developed. The music is, of course, excellent as well.

sephireland
07-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Difficult to put into words, Denmark but I will try. It actually plays similar to many RPG's but the scope of the thing was HUGE at the time. Getting out of Midgar and going out inot the big bad world just felt amazing. It all looked top notch too at the time. The storyline is immense and the relationships between the characters are very strong. You genuinely care for this group so when things get bad you actually FEEL bad. Equally, when things go well you feel good.

It has been said in earlier posts but I don't wanna say it because it still hurts after 12 years but the end of disc one was GUT WRENCHING. Still is.

The antagonis, Sephiroth, is the greatest video game bad guy EVER. He's a hateful bastard and I remember thinking there'd be some kind of Darth Vader redemption for him when I played it first. Eh no, he's evil to the core and all the better for it. His theme ROCKS too :)

Also, I cannot say enough about Uematsu. His music is perfection and adds a whole other layer to this game.

Just play it, love it and you'll understand why we're fanboys. Really cannot say enough about FFVII. Love it far too much.

Denmark
07-25-2009, 04:08 AM
Don't get me wrong; the reason I haven't played this game is not lack of desire, more lack of opportunity. Never had any Sony console, didn't really get into Final Fantasy games until long after FF7 was released and thus have never been able to find a copy of the PC version. I'm sure I would agree with everything everyone says in this thread, I just have never been able to experience the game for myself.

Iceglow
07-25-2009, 05:06 AM
I have to agree with what people said about the first time the magic/ability system REALLY being tied in to the storyline and having an effect on it so deeply this flourished with later games and I admit that there have been times I thought this has regressed particulary with XII. X atleast had a good reason for some of the more iconic weapons (brotherhood for example)

I was always one of those people who couldn't quite put my mind to what made me like 7, I played it first after playing 8 but I enjoyed it even though in my eyes most of 8 improved upon 7. Though minigame wise this game takes the biscuit, the cake and the entire damn cafe with it.

Momiji
07-25-2009, 05:10 AM
Ah yeah, the minigames were pretty cool in FFVII. I will give it that much. :)

eestlinc
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Don't get me wrong; the reason I haven't played this game is not lack of desire, more lack of opportunity. Never had any Sony console, didn't really get into Final Fantasy games until long after FF7 was released and thus have never been able to find a copy of the PC version. I'm sure I would agree with everything everyone says in this thread, I just have never been able to experience the game for myself.

I have the PC version somewhere, unless I lost it. I also have the PS version (which I bought years later after I acquired a cheap PSone) because it's more fun (and less glitchy) to play on the console. But if you are desperate to find a copy of the PC version maybe I can help you out. Does anyone know if it is copy protected?

as far as the game quality, I really liked the modern dystopia feel of the game, and the great world of visuals and music. The gameplay is also very good. Plus, Yuffie is the best character in the entire series!

Wolf Kanno
07-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Probably the music, VII has one of my favorite soundtracks. Probably one of the last Uematsu soundtracks I really loved. I also love the world design. The rest I can leave behind. Though I don't hate VII its not really my top fave FF.

BG-57
07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
The materia system is a neat reversal of magicite in FFVI: instead of equipping a magicite and improving a specific character's spell list, the materia is itself leveled up and can give those unlocked spells to anybody who equips it. It's simple enough to get through the game with little trouble but the subtleties of pairing materia are complex enough to allow for a lot of experimentation.

The characters are great, although one of the few things I really liked about AC was giving Tifa a more sensible outfit and Cait Sith losing the Moogle. The story gave each a place in the world for their backstory to unfold so you knew exactly what they were fighting for. Although I'm sure Kefka would mutter something about 'self-help books' at this point.

I liked the story although some of Cloud's backstory is told in optional flashbacks, so it's a lot of work to piece it all together in the first playthrough. I won't spoil the story for you, but there were several moments that moved me deeply. It's interesting that you can invest emotional energy in caring for video game characters, but they suceeded.

The music was great, next to FFVIII as my favorite FF soundtrack. Not much point in listing tracks when you haven't played yet, but if you like what you hear, get the ST. It's great music to just listen to.

Great games need great villains, and this game has plenty, some more obvious than others. The major villains are hissably well done, but they don't inspire affection the way the Turks do. I love those guys, even though I cheered every time I got to beat up Reno.

Some of the minigames, especially at Gold Saucer are hit and miss, but Chocobo breeding/racing and Battle Square were both some of the best mini-games in FF history. They were moderately challenging but time intensive, with great rewards for suceeding.