PDA

View Full Version : PLAY STYLE 2.0

Freya
07-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I made this thread in the FFIX Forum (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/125500-play-style.html) and it made me interested in how people play all the FF games.

I really haven't played much of the earlier games infact, don't tell anyone but I have never played FFVII =o. Pf the ones I have played though, I've always played extremely casual. I'm never in a rush and when I come across a mini game I always try to beat it.

I was doing the chocobo race and got the sigil and weapon on X before I even knew I could do that or what they were :p

With XII I tried to get every monster hunt before I even finished the game! I did love me some "I'm Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalamasca!" Mini game. lol.This makes me too :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs)

Anywho, What kinda of play style do you have with most the FF games? And which one do you spend all your effort on and why?

Mine goes to FFIX as I said in my other thread but I do like doing the mini games on X as well. Blitzball, I'm awesome at it.

trancekuja
07-24-2009, 10:35 PM
TK style:
First playthrough - must have and do everything I can find on my own
Second playthrough - follow a guide and 100% that sucker!

Del Murder
07-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I do every possible sidequest I can before I move on with the story. Sometimes this causes me to forget what happened!

G13
07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
^ Same here. If I don't finish the game 100% I feel as if I cheated.

Freya
07-25-2009, 01:13 AM
As you cheated? But you beat the game! You didn't cheat to get there!

Leeza
07-25-2009, 01:37 AM
I have to explore every corner. Habit from Zelda. This makes the game go so much longer than necessary, but it's worth it. I don't do many mini games, but I do try to get to the sidequests. Like Del Murder though, sometimes I end up forgetting where I'm at so I started to keep a log as I go through the games.

Freya
07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
lol Like you keep a notebook or something?

"The story said that the bad guy might have left evidence in this castle. Get back to that later."
"Kupo."
"There was a moogle at ____. Check back later."
"I think an event happens here. Check back later."

Leeza
07-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Not quite that much detail, no. :)

eestlinc
07-25-2009, 01:56 AM
I always focus on developing certain players that I like (or certain jobs if the party doesn't change). And I try to hit the secrets. But sometimes it is fun to play through a new game cold without any help and see how it goes.

Freya
07-25-2009, 02:00 AM
When I was younger I'd look at faqs and forums (see eoff) cause i couldn't get through things. Now I just kinda do random stuff till it works and get through it. :P

Raistlin
07-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Like Del and Leeza, I try to do everything I can before moving on with the story. I want every treasure, to do every side quest, and to get every character.

theundeadhero
07-25-2009, 05:14 AM
My play heavy relies on physical characters while saving magic for when it's needed. The exception to that is cure and life spells which are needed. I go so in depth with them as to compare how much HP is healed with say Cure 1 next to Cure 2 vs. mana cost. In some FF games casting Cure 1 twice will give more HP than a Cure 2 and you will use less MP casting it twice than Cure 2 once.

While playing I explore everywhere and have to talk to everyone at least twice unless I've beaten it before just so I can discover everything. I like reaching a point where I have to choose one of two ways to go and choosing the dead-end way first because that means I know everything down that dead-end and can continue to explore the rest. If at that point I choose the wrong way, (Or think I might have!) I'll go back and check the other way out which often reveals a dead-end with a chest or save point or something.

I always do side-quests as soon as possible but I hate mini-games. I hate them so much! They're often retarded but you have to do them in order to go to "x" or get "x" item. So, I do them, but the whole time I'm cussing at SE for thinking everyone loves their stupid little games.

Wolf Kanno
07-25-2009, 05:33 AM
I try to do as much in the first playthrough but ultimately I'm there for story so I rarely grind unless I notice enemies are giving good XP/AP. Then I might camp out. Its my second playthrough where I begin to try and do everything, even checking how broken I can make a battle system.

I generally love min-games but I do find X's to be my least favorite. IX has my favorites overall but Triple Triad will always be my fave. ;)

Freya
07-25-2009, 07:48 AM
My play heavy relies on physical characters while saving magic for when it's needed. The exception to that is cure and life spells which are needed. I go so in depth with them as to compare how much HP is healed with say Cure 1 next to Cure 2 vs. mana cost. In some FF games casting Cure 1 twice will give more HP than a Cure 2 and you will use less MP casting it twice than Cure 2 once.

While playing I explore everywhere and have to talk to everyone at least twice unless I've beaten it before just so I can discover everything. I like reaching a point where I have to choose one of two ways to go and choosing the dead-end way first because that means I know everything down that dead-end and can continue to explore the rest. If at that point I choose the wrong way, (Or think I might have!) I'll go back and check the other way out which often reveals a dead-end with a chest or save point or something.

I always do side-quests as soon as possible but I hate mini-games. I hate them so much! They're often retarded but you have to do them in order to go to "x" or get "x" item. So, I do them, but the whole time I'm cussing at SE for thinking everyone loves their stupid little games.
You do this in more of the older ones or do you still try to do that in the new games?