PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that Chrono Trigger is really good?

mattkd
07-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I wanna know if anyone else thinks Chrono Trigger is a good game. When I play it I just don't see any good in it. maybe because its a pretty old game. I play it on my ds. the characters are pretty lame.

right now, I just got to the ice age and I can go to the sky

let me know how you feel about this game

arcanedude34
07-25-2009, 07:29 AM
...you're asking if anyone thinks Chrono Trigger is a good game.

You're asking if anyone thinks CHRONO TRIGGER is a good game.

That's like asking if anyone thinks Jesus was a swell guy.

blackmage_nuke
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Chrono Trigger is in my top 3 Favourite Square games

Fynn
07-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Now THIS is a weird topic... It's har to say "yes" without being called Captain Obvious... But I'm gonna do it anyway...

Hell YEAH it's a good game! One of the most influential in the history of jRPGs! I don't know why you think it's lame - even my little brother, who just started it, loves it, even though he's not fond of older games...

Zechs
07-25-2009, 10:11 AM
If you play the game, absorbe what it has to offer in it's entirety... Immerse youself with the music and everything, and you'll see why it is such a great game... Something that a lot of modern games just don't *have*...

McLovin'
07-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Magus.

Crimson
07-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Hating Chrono Trigger is like saying that Gilgamesh isnt awesome.

It just aint gonna happen.

Nice
07-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Did G W. Bush suck? Maybe you got into the hype and got let down by expectations. I dunno. All I know is, Chrono Trigger is awesome...I guess not everyone feels that way.

scrumpleberry
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Well you've stuck with it for a good while, so it obviously doesn't suck that badly!

Personally, I love it.

NeoCracker
07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Well you've stuck with it for a good while, so it obviously doesn't suck that badly!

Personally, I love it.

You obviously don't understand the mind of the hardcore gamer. One will play a crappy game, no matter how terrible, multiple times, if only to find more about that game that they hate.

Or maybe thats just me....

That being said, Chrono is the best RPG to come out on the SNES. Frog Theme rocks my socks.

SomethingBig
07-27-2009, 12:29 AM
That being said, Chrono is the best RPG to come out on the SNES.

My good sir, I do believe you mean the best RPG to come out of anything. I don't think I've ever played through a game as much as Chrono Trigger. I played through the SNES version enough times to get all the endings. When the "remake" came out for the PS1, I played through it enough to get maybe 5 endings, despite the HORRIBLE load times.

To say Chrono Trigger is a good game would be like saying a blue whale is just big.

Comet
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm playing it through for the first time ever on ps1. :cool:

ReloadPsi
07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, Chrono Trigger. I would describe my love of this game as irrational on the basis that I simply do not know why I love it. I just do. Simple as that.

You obviously don't understand the mind of the hardcore gamer. One will play a crappy game, no matter how terrible, multiple times, if only to find more about that game that they hate.

Or because people accused them of not giving the game a chance so they played it all the way through out of spite, knowing that they then had every right to turn around and say "Yes, this game still sucks."

I made one of my friends play halfway through FF6' WoR before I finally accepted that he thought the game sucked and that he was never gonna like it, whereas he bore witness to me beating FF10 and even taking down a few Dark Aeons, just so I could say "There, gave the damn game a chance, I still hate it".

I'm playing it through for the first time ever on ps1. :cool:

Nobody minds if you play it on a SNES emulator. They really don't. The PSone version is very poorly ported.

Markus. D
07-28-2009, 01:45 AM
While I'm not very fond of the gameplay like I use to be, back in the day.

Still has alot of the best elements that make it rather perfect.

mattkd
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM
maybe its because the game is old. its not so bad, I really like the music. but final fantasy 6 is old and its still good to play now. I like the remake chrono triggers cuz they have cutscenes. I guess the storys good but the characters are lame. like lucca, the robot guy. and having a frog for your partner even though hes my fav:p

blackmage_nuke
07-30-2009, 03:04 AM
Some characters dont really get very deep until you play their childhood trauma side quests.

Heath
08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I instantly fell in love with CT's plot, graphics, music and gameplay. And actually fail to see how people can fail to appreciate this game's wondrous glow. The characters do all have their own sidequests that are well worth doing as it develops their personalities a bit further.

Avarice-ness
08-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Some characters dont really get very deep until you play their childhood trauma side quests.

Yeah CT's one of those games where it can kinda hang out for a bit, but then it's like "OH HAY WTF IS GOING ON' and your stuck in it.

One of the best games of all time, and that's actually polled fact.

qwertysaur
08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Chrono Trigger is a very well written game with some of the most vivid characters ever :p

Probably would have been better if the cut content was readded into the DS release though :p

Elly
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
blasphemy! saying Lucca and R-66Y are lame, Lucca Ashtear's like the most awesomest character in the game...
ehem*
anyway, Chrono Trigger has to be one of the best RPGs i've ever played didn't care much for Frog/Glenn untill the DS Port where they fixed his horrible speach impediment... i've gotten every ending possible on the first 2 american versions, SNES & the gawd aweful port to the PSone... the PSone bonuses were awesome but didn't really make up for the horrid load times, i'm still working on the DS version and love the cleaned up translation for it...

Vermachtnis
08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Lucca's not lame! You're lame! :mad2:

And Ayla is pure awesome. And this is the only RPG I can think of were there are two jail scenes, but instead of going Solid Snake and sneaking around you can just beat the crap out of the guards. Plus there's virtually no padding. Also it's one of the first games with no random encounters.

Lazy Bovine
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I wanna know if anyone else thinks Chrono Trigger is a good game. When I play it I just don't see any good in it. maybe because its a pretty old game. I play it on my ds. the characters are pretty lame.

right now, I just got to the ice age and I can go to the sky

let me know how you feel about this game

Classic, man. This game is a classic that everyone who likes video games should experience once in their lifetime. I absolutely loved this game.

Chrono Trigger, also, was one of the gateway RPGs that helped me leapfrog onto other RPG games. Without it (Secret of Mana was the other), I would have probably just played FPS games all day.

Nice
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Is sex any good? Chrono Trigger = sex.

Bolivar
08-06-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not going to count out the possibility that playing it on a handheld might have something to do with your take on the game. Playing Shining Force II for the first time in 12 years upscaled on my HDTV with the ps3 sonic collection made me realize that these games were meant to be played on a TV.

That being said, I played and beat CT on my laptop, using a usb controller of course. I still thought it was one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and the best thing to come out of the Super Nintendo.

Also, it might be the cutscenes. I've never seen it, but I hate that crap. Thinking about it to myself right now just makes me think it would ruin the whole thing. Thinking about facing the boss at the end of the first time you play the Middle Ages part, then heading back to the future (no pun intended, probably not really a pun), makes me cringe at the though of them throwing in an animated cut scene in the middle of that. I love akira toriyama art in video games just as much as the next guy (not sure how many actually do) but I don't want no Dragon Ball Z BS thrown in the middle of it (and i grew up with Dragon Ball Z dammit).

Crimson
08-06-2009, 01:45 AM
It's a good thing the TC wrote the title in such a way in that you dont know if he means good or bad.

If he directly made it to show that he was implying it was bad then he'd be digging his own grave.

Wolf Kanno
08-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Also, it might be the cutscenes. I've never seen it, but I hate that crap. Thinking about it to myself right now just makes me think it would ruin the whole thing. Thinking about facing the boss at the end of the first time you play the Middle Ages part, then heading back to the future (no pun intended, probably not really a pun), makes me cringe at the though of them throwing in an animated cut scene in the middle of that. I love akira toriyama art in video games just as much as the next guy (not sure how many actually do) but I don't want no Dragon Ball Z BS thrown in the middle of it (and i grew up with Dragon Ball Z dammit).

The beauty of the DS version is that you can actually deactivate the cutscenes in the Menu. Probably the best thing about the DS version is how you can customize the game to make it play either like the SNES, PS1 (minus the crappy load time), or the new DS version.

Its a good thing cause I don't care for the cutscenes either.

Dante WolfWood
08-07-2009, 04:29 AM
...you're asking if anyone thinks Chrono Trigger is a good game.

You're asking if anyone thinks CHRONO TRIGGER is a good game.

That's like asking if anyone thinks Jesus was a swell guy.

....so going to my sig :p

mattkd
08-08-2009, 01:08 AM
haha you guys are right, now I see how good the game is. its getting good right now, crono disappeared :o. I'm playing the DS version. its a reallly deep game and im surprised this was a SNES game. same goes for FF6.

Is it possible to beat Lavos early in the game when you get to fight him? what do you get if you did so?

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2009, 05:30 AM
The fight at the Ocean Palace has you up against a super version of Lavos but it is possible to beat him. Basically you get a different ending. The game has multiple endings and when you beat it the first time you get access to New Game+. You start the game over from the beginning except you keep all equipment, lvs, abilities, and money from your completed file. You also can get access to a new time gate that allows you to fight Lavos whenever you want. Beating him at different parts of the game nets you different endings. Hell, getting killed by him gets you an ending...

The game has surprising replay value. ;)

Skyblade
08-08-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm not going to count out the possibility that playing it on a handheld might have something to do with your take on the game. Playing Shining Force II for the first time in 12 years upscaled on my HDTV with the ps3 sonic collection made me realize that these games were meant to be played on a TV.

That being said, I played and beat CT on my laptop, using a usb controller of course. I still thought it was one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and the best thing to come out of the Super Nintendo.

Hold it, there was a handheld version of Shining Force II? When did it come out, and how did I miss it?

And, yeah, you can deactivate the cutscenes (and the touch controls) on the DS version, and play through just the game. I too felt that the cutscenes detracted from the game more than they added to it, so I was pleased the option to turn them off was there.

Elly
08-08-2009, 01:55 PM
honestly they shoud have made the cutscenes completely replace the scene they're inspired from rather than play the same scene twice, once animated, once in original sprites, but still keep the option to turn them on or off... as far as NewGame+ you will lose all your key and story items but everything else remains... there were 10 main endings on the SNES version with some varients on certain endings depending on things like fighting Magus at North Cape, and 12 on the PSone port with same variences, not sure bout the DS version since they never released a Strategy Guide for it that keeps stuff like that in tidy little tables, and i haven't beat it enough to know yet...

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, the two new endings from the PS1 version were just extensions of the main ending. The DS version has one new ending as well as all the endings present in the PS1 version. The new ending is acquired by completing the Vortex of Time optional dungeons (available after you beat the game the first time). It apparently a new ending that once again ties the plot to Chrono Cross much like the extended animated ending in the PS1 version.

aquatius
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I got stuck on twin golems :(. I must say the only thing that annoyed me about the game was the silent protagonist and the general lack of character interaction. It just gave the game a very surreal feeling when nobody seems to care after going through a time machine and stepping into a pre-historic world.

Shotgunnova
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
It's an enjoyable, well-rounded game that's earned most of its acclaim, but it's still got its downsides (sound quality, fluctuating difficulty, shaky replay value, load times/slowdown on PSX version, etc). Personally, I like Chrono Cross a whole lot more but as far as Super Nintendo RPGs go, it's definitely top-shelf material and definitely one of those "play this before you die" games.

nik0tine
09-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Chrono Trigger is definitely one of the best RPGs ever created and it's hard to understand why. The characters have no development and the story is rather lame. CT is all about the atmosphere. The way the music blends with the maps is beyond perfect. In terms of atmosphere Chrono Trigger is the best game ever created, imo.

IXVI
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
i'm stuck on the last boss...i sold my copy as a kid and didn't realize how much it'd be worth..seriously, like last time i checked on ebay it was 1000 sealed. although i have it for the ds now and....as previously stated, i-am-stuck-on...THE-last-boss..

Greatermaximus
10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Watch youtube and/or a more dedicated site on a tutorial how to beat Lavos. Speed Demos Archives anyone?

Isn't the hardest game but I agree about the great atmosphere and plot.

Khimbar2775
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I forget who already, but someone mentioned both Secret of Mana and CT were the reasons they got involved in jRPGs. while i was growing up, as most younger brothers do, i basically worshiped my brother as an idol and everything he did was just simply the coolest thing ever to do, in the history of the world. And he played SoM. so i lived, breathed, and bathed in that game for many years. i think ive beaten it perhaps twenty times through from scratch.

I, unfortunately came to CT much later through emulation on my lappy. it was the original SNES emulation, so i got the original stuff. For me translation has never particularly bothered me, and graphics never have expectations. SoM and TC have been deep rooted favorites of mine for the SNES. as for all RPGs, I need to bow my head to Xenogears for having an original idea for battle play (which CT kinda did as well) And such a complex and compelling plot. Im replaying it right now and am currently in Solaris, bringing down the "monarchy" of Cain...

(anyone recognize who my avatar is? lol)

Slothy
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM

Or because people accused them of not giving the game a chance so they played it all the way through out of spite, knowing that they then had every right to turn around and say "Yes, this game still sucks."

This is exactly the reason I beat Resident Evil 4; simply so that when I tell people that it's a steaming pile of monkey poo they can never pull the "well, maybe you didn't give it a chance" line.

Also, yes a lot of people think Chrono Trigger is really good, myself included.

theundeadhero
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM
I spent the summer of 1998 beating this game over and over repeatedly.

Del Murder
10-19-2009, 08:29 PM
CT is probably the game I've replayed the most ever. It's designed to be that way sure, but if it wasn't so great I certainly wouldn't have continued playing!

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2009, 12:17 AM
I forget who already, but someone mentioned both Secret of Mana and CT were the reasons they got involved in jRPGs. while i was growing up, as most younger brothers do, i basically worshiped my brother as an idol and everything he did was just simply the coolest thing ever to do, in the history of the world. And he played SoM. so i lived, breathed, and bathed in that game for many years. i think ive beaten it perhaps twenty times through from scratch.

I, unfortunately came to CT much later through emulation on my lappy. it was the original SNES emulation, so i got the original stuff. For me translation has never particularly bothered me, and graphics never have expectations. SoM and TC have been deep rooted favorites of mine for the SNES. as for all RPGs, I need to bow my head to Xenogears for having an original idea for battle play (which CT kinda did as well) And such a complex and compelling plot. Im replaying it right now and am currently in Solaris, bringing down the "monarchy" of Cain...

(anyone recognize who my avatar is? lol)
Krelian. I'm replaying that game right now too, I just cleared out the transport ship with Billy.

IXVI
10-21-2009, 04:45 AM
it hurts my head to even think how someone can not like chrono trigger........speaking of which...will i be hated on if i say i'm pissed at square for ending the CT:CE project?..looked damn good to..;/

Elly
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
nope most people got pissed about S-Es Cease & Desist Order on the Chrono Resurection team, especialy since it doesn't appear that S-E has any plans of making an updated 3D CT themselves...
totaly forgot about Crimson Echos since i was never really interested in it...

Khimbar2775
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
anyone ever find the petition to remake ffvii as well for ps3? i signed it lol.

CE??? never heard of it till now, sounds (or i guess sounded) super awesome

Elly
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
online petitions never have any effect due to the impossibility of verifying the signers identity due to the anonymity of the internet...

The Space Pope
10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
anyone ever find the petition to remake ffvii as well for ps3? i signed it lol.
How about rather than allowing (even asking) Squeenix to re-re-re-release old games, they make new ones that are just as good, if not better! Strange concept, I know.

But seriously, how many FF games need to be remade? Are we going to see online petitions for a FF10 remake three years from now? I seriously don't doubt it in the least and that makes me cry inside a little but not really because I am a manly man, which is odd considering that I am not currently in my human form and was never a male.

But I digress!

Chrono trigger is fun for sure, yeah, but it's so easy that it becomes boring and I find myself only wanting to play it in small doses when I'm bored and just happen to be in the mood for an older RPG, which isn't often.

I will say though, it's a GREAT game to hack.

McLovin'
10-22-2009, 03:45 AM
You can find the entire playthrough of CE (Crimson Echoes) on youtube. It's actually a really interesting watch with great music and scripts and other awesomeness. Check it out.

The Space Pope
10-22-2009, 04:04 AM
I downloaded a few decent CT hacks, the arena one is interesting. But Crimson Echoes looks great from what I've seen, though I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Also, the game freezes everytime I try adding in that blasted robot village ;/

Wolf Kanno
10-22-2009, 05:46 AM
There was that other fan project Chrono Trigger Resurrection as well that got shut down a few years ago.

30781 30782

30783 30784

I was watching this one closely but it seemed like as soon as I found out about it the project got shut down by SE threatening a lawsuit. You would think SE would take a hint. I mean CT is the fourth highest grossing game SE released on a handheld (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/05/sqe.sales.en.052109-580px.jpg) and only fell behind DQ V, Dissidia, and Crisis Core (though I'm sure IX has pushed it into fourth). They have had to stop four different fan remakes only so they can sit on the license.

The Space Pope
10-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I remember that from a few years back. They even redid a few of the songs and FMV cutscenes.

They probably shouldn't have hyped it up so much though, at least not until they were close to finishing it.

Moon Rabbits
10-23-2009, 07:30 PM
I got stuck on twin golems :(. I must say the only thing that annoyed me about the game was the silent protagonist and the general lack of character interaction. It just gave the game a very surreal feeling when nobody seems to care after going through a time machine and stepping into a pre-historic world.

Chrono Trigger is definitely one of the best RPGs ever created and it's hard to understand why. The characters have no development and the story is rather lame. CT is all about the atmosphere. The way the music blends with the maps is beyond perfect. In terms of atmosphere Chrono Trigger is the best game ever created, imo.

Haha both of these things are true.

Even still, though, I've never really thought Chrono Trigger was one of THE BEST battle systems. In fact the battle system was always kinda "meh" to me. I've always disliked most of the characters, and I especially hate their designs/Akira Toriyama in general, but the graphics are some damned nice pixel art. It's still a really good game and all, but I think games like Earthbound, Okage, and Lunar are better.

McLovin'
10-27-2009, 02:47 AM
I think I read that the series creator doesn't work for Square anymore or something and all the others involved in the project are working on many different games at the moment this it's too difficult to make the next Chrono game at this point in time.

IXVI
10-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Chrono trigger is indeed amazing...i been playing CT:CE and..I never had any problems..