PDA

View Full Version : I must have played too many RPGs

Denmark
07-26-2009, 09:25 AM
because when I walk around my house at night I fear random encounters.

My fear is heightened because most of the time I am weaponless and mostly naked. This leaves me very vulnerable to attack and my hand-to-hand combat skills are at their minimum, meaning I would die quickly whilst doing minimal damage to my assailant, be it man or beast (or machine).

So I present to you, readers of General Chat, these questions.

1) Do you constantly take account of your surroundings and attempt to defend yourself in the best way possible? Are you ever watchful for would-be attackers? Do you practice constant vigilance? Do you consider how you would deal with an attack?

2) Have any popular media affected your life such that they have changed your outlook on the world? This could be video games, movies, music, comic books, ANYTHING.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

rubah
07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
no

yes

Jiro
07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm just like you Denmark, except everywhere. Too many video games has left me with all sorts of weird ideas about what lies just out of sight.

Rachran
07-26-2009, 10:11 AM
yes i always take a look at my surrounding and thing what would be the best defence tool

and no they havent really affected my life that much i just think ill always do that out of paranoia

Crimson
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
just stay out of the bushes, them T-rexaurs could pop out onto the side-walks at any time.

G13
07-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Before I do something stupid, and this counts for anything like breaking up with a girl or jumping off a roof etc., I think "Maybe I should save first!". But then I realize I'm playing real-life and get a little sad that I don't have that option.

On a side note, I was playing Halo live earlier and when an enemy noticed mine and one of my friends' name he sang the victory theme, rather well I might add, right as I killed him. You have no idea how much joy I felt at that moment. Completely unrelated to the topic, but I felt it needed to be shared. :D

qwertysaur
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not the only one! We should form a party!

G13
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
You talkin' to me?

Crimson
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I call dibs on any weapon drops.

We should farm those punks in the hoodies who spawn in the abandoned factories and nightclubs.

I hear they give lots of AP.

G13
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Hahaha While I agree with that, this is probably a discussion for another thread. Correctional posts scare me.

Big D
07-26-2009, 11:38 AM
(1) is a reasonably sensible way to do stuff, provided it's not foremost on your mind and making you prone to irrational concerns. Knowing what kind of environment you're in, and keeping the hazards in mind, is a good approach that can help to reduce a number of dangers, both natural and human.

Denmark
07-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Before I do something stupid, and this counts for anything like breaking up with a girl or jumping off a roof etc., I think "Maybe I should save first!". But then I realize I'm playing real-life and get a little sad that I don't have that option.

Ah yes, emulators have spoiled me on this account. Savestates would make life so much easier.

Also, I always wish I could Ctrl+F when I've lost things in real life.

qwertysaur
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Ah yes, emulators have spoiled me on this account. Savestates would make life so much easier.

This, and bookmarking several locations would make travel so much easier.

Iceglow
07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I tend to look around for signs of attack ect and defensive positions but thats just who I am I like to know I'm secure in the area before letting myself relax. So yes the funny stuff is like the posters stockroom (my hidey hole) at work in HMV the windows overlook oxford street and are mirrored to be 1 way glass looking out. Therefore I can stand there spying on people we call it my "snipers nest" all I need is the rifle now.

Also Queensway Tube station theres a narrow corridor in there what leads from the lifts to the exit. In the corridor it is COMPLETELY 100% covered by CCTV with 0 blindspots and so I often just think "Damn I need a chaff grenade here" in homage to MGS.

Also question 2) YES.

Shattered Dreamer
07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
As sad and all as it is to admit whenever I play an RPG or watch an anime it affects my life. Can't say I don't like it though I think escapism is important otherwise life is just way too serious!

Heath
07-26-2009, 02:56 PM
For a second I imagined random encounters in real life and they seemed like a really cool idea. Then I realised that I'd probably miss an awful lot of buses and trains that I barely manage to catch without them and swiftly reconsidered. Life with save states would save an awful lot of hassle though.

1) I suppose I do passively if I actually rationally fear an attack but otherwise no.

2) I guess so!

blackmage_nuke
07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Im always alert. I jump at the smallest things and people think that Im a wuss in that respect but hey, next time some unknown person bursts out of nowhere and pulls a knife on you, go ahead, dont flinch to show how tough you are and he can stab you right in the gut, I meanwhile will react jump back and stay alive.

As for games, I was really freaked out for a while after I finished the Xdas series by Yahtzee but I had already stayed up all night playing it and lack of sleep and what not drove me nuts.

Rodarian
07-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Any environment you frequent to should already be a part of your memory as reference and planning out an exit route. New territories should be immediately taken noted of in a quiet observant manner and not to let the other person think you're paranoid at all...

Psychotic
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
On the PS2 GTAs, if you shot at the moon with a sniper rifle, it would grow larger every time you hit it. One time I looked out of the window and saw a full moon, and my immediate and instinctive thought was to "snipe it".

Quindiana Jones
07-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I look for escape routes, possible places to hide and possible weapons to use. I do this everywhere and at all times. Y'know...in case of zombie/terrorist/alien/monster attack.

I wish the moon-snipe thing was in GTA4.

Crimson
07-26-2009, 04:57 PM
On the PS2 GTAs, if you shot at the moon with a sniper rifle, it would grow larger every time you hit it. One time I looked out of the window and saw a full moon, and my immediate and instinctive thought was to "snipe it".

Ha! I used to do the same thing, I think it was in San Andreas or Vice City where if you shot it with a Rocket Launcher it would go straight to the maximum size.

Raistlin
07-26-2009, 05:01 PM
1. With regards to fearing random battles, no. I'm not a crazy person.

2. If I read a lot of certain books that use a distinct vocabulary, I sometimes find myself thinking in that language.

Shoeberto
07-26-2009, 05:22 PM
I do this constantly with textbooks. When I'm studying or doing homework and just looking for that one thing and can't find it, in my head I just want to do a Ctrl+F.

GTA messes me up a lot. On the PC version, if you middle-click the mouse, it flips the camera around so you see what's happening behind you, and anytime I've gone on binges of GTA I find myself wanting to do it IRL.

Not to mention I spot out vehicles and think how hard they'd be to jack. One time Allie and I were walking down my street after I'd played some, and a golf cart went by. I was so tempted.

Meat Puppet
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
sometimes I make that shlerping sound from Morrowind when I pick up things

and it does the same thing that Hsu mentioned with camera after too many gta... also presses triangle to get into cars

Freya
07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
1) I don't walk in towns or anything alone in the dark. I do walk outside in the dark on my ranch. I always make sure to take my doggy with me cause I CAN have random encounters with say coyotes or wild hogs. :P

It's not like it would happen easily but doesn't mean I don't think it will! I think they will just pop out of no where and I has to send my doggy to attack. While I some how manage to find a weapon.

And they aren't like normal animals in my mind, they are like monsters that talk and are all MUHAHAHAH.

2) I claim I have a PhD in Zombiology. Does that say enough? :D

qwertysaur
07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Depends on where the degree is from. :p

Crimson
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Christ the amount of times that I run into random encounters with chavs/townies its amazing im not lvl 90+ with maxed 255 stats yet.

England = best exp grind spot ever

Freya
07-26-2009, 06:22 PM

That's irrelevant scott. The fact that I claim to have one shows that Popular media has affected me. :)

qwertysaur
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM

That's irrelevant scott. The fact that I claim to have one shows that Popular media has affected me. :)On the contrary the location where the degree is issued has a momumental importance on the degree of the effect popular media has on a person. Your responce indicates either
a) didn't think of that and just replied hastily
b) [ERROR! failed to process information, data lost in a random encounter on it's way through the internet!]or
c) are too afraid to admit that you faked your Zombiology degree to stoke your own ego :p

My guess isb

Freya
07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
No scott, it doesn't. It means that I like zombie things so I make comments about it. That has nothing to do with a location.

I answered the question. Just stop ok?