PDA

View Full Version : Help Me GTFO

Shlup
07-27-2009, 02:41 AM
So BJ and I both lost our jobs, don't seem to be close at all to finding new ones, have no kids, and our lease expires in two months.

I want to convince him we need to go on an adventure. Like, leave the state or country for maybe six months and live and work wherever our destination may be. We discussed working on a cruise line or living in New Zealand, but if I'm going to convince him then I need to present him with some solid plans.

So who's got some advice for me? Where should we go and what should we do when we get there? Are there places where sexy young Americans can pop in and work for a few months and get some culture?

If you were to pick up and leave your home for awhile, where would you go and what would you do?

Freya
07-27-2009, 02:44 AM
I'd pick up and go live with jojo. :love:

Honestly I dunno where would be a good place to go! MSNBC told me Indiana is a great place to live?

Dolentrean
07-27-2009, 02:45 AM
I hope to, at some point in my life, do just that. I really want to live in Ireland, London and Australia for a bit.

As for solid plans I can't really help you... Sorry.

eestlinc
07-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Thailand is a popular getaway if you want to be a beach bum.

Alaska is a popular place to go to find fortune, but it is cold.

If you speak Spanish, I would go to central or south america.

Freya
07-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Actually I hear that Oklahoma is fairly good for jobs and has pretty affordable housing, I guess you'd just have to like football :P

I mean that's culture right? You'd be in the south but not the deep south!

Raistlin
07-27-2009, 02:52 AM
I have no idea about going out of the country, but the D.C. area is the fastest growing job area in the country due to the growth of government jobs. It's an unfortunate trend, but still a good place to go to look for work. And going 3,000 miles to the opposite side of the country is kind of an adventure by itself.

I'm not sure how much cruise lines would be hiring with the overall poor economy. It's pretty much a tough market all over.

Yar
07-27-2009, 03:10 AM
North Dakota has too many jobs and not enough people to fill them.

Meat Puppet
07-27-2009, 03:15 AM
You could go to Australia and become highwaymen. Go out into the desert and find a nice place to build a shack, and then hijack trucks when they pass through. You’ve already got a few options since you’d be a man and woman team, one particular pull which is called a “Trojan Matilda” where the female will assume a variety of roles (pregnant is a good one, although offering sex works well) to where she will be picked up by the truck. Your husband will be stationed a few “kilometers” down the trail, which is where you pull a razor on the trucker. If things get ugly then BJ could quickly move in an assist with the heist.
It ain’t much, but it’s a kind of adventure. I did it for a few months back in diddly ought.

Madame Adequate
07-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Anywhere in the anglosphere is a good start. No need to learn the language and broadly similar laws and stuff, but different enough to give a little flavor.

Y'all shouldn't have seceded, then you'd be in the Commonwealth and it'd be easier to move around!

Or go to Hawaii :bigsmile:

Del Murder
07-27-2009, 03:22 AM
I hope Miriel views this thread, she always has tons of ideas for stuff we should go do for 6 months or whatever.

rubah
07-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Peace corps!

Madame Adequate
07-27-2009, 03:31 AM
No guys do not take corpses to pieces, graverobbing is a crime and desecrating the dead is frowned upon in every society ever.

Rye
07-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Don't waste this time on the continent, Shlup, get the hell out of here! I wouldn't even recommend New York for an adventure, get out of the country while you have the opportunity.

Do like David Sedaris did when he needed a change of scene with his boyfriend when he was trying to quit smoking, and live in Japan for 3-6 months. Not trying to wapanese it up, but it's a good idea.

That, or live in Germany. I want to live in Germany one day, at least for a little while.

I dunno if you're looking for English speaking or not. But the idea of just being dropped into a country in which I can't even speak the language with another person you love is kind of a sexy idea to me. You're kind of helpless, but in the most fun of ways. It's a bit of a turn on, for some reason.

If you come to England though, I can hang out with YOU every single day too. Don't worry about how I'll be outside your window and Paul's at the same time. I'll be there like shareware.

o_O
07-27-2009, 04:55 AM
New Zealand!

Shlup
07-27-2009, 05:06 AM
To the people who are suggesting any state in middle America: *raspberries*

Thailand is a popular getaway if you want to be a beach bum.

Alaska is a popular place to go to find fortune, but it is cold.

If you speak Spanish, I would go to central or south america.

Thailand is scary... but an interesting idea. Alaska is so fucking cold.

The bass player of BJ's band and his wife actually did the South American adventure a couple of years ago and it looked amazing. They speak Spanish though. In fact, they did it to solidify their fluency.

Actually I hear that Oklahoma is fairly good for jobs and has pretty affordable housing, I guess you'd just have to like football :P

I mean that's culture right? You'd be in the south but not the deep south!

My best friend lives in Oklahoma and is having her first baby in October, so I would actually love that. BJ wouldn't go for it though. :/

I'm not sure how much cruise lines would be hiring with the overall poor economy. It's pretty much a tough market all over.

Yeah, but they have a really high turnover rate. And a lot of their employees are desperate foreigners, so a pair of clean-cut crackers have a good chance. And BJ's would go for a professional drumming position, which I have no doubt he would get. We came up with the idea because his friend did it recently, and now his MySpace photos are just glorious. He's been everywhere. And through that job he got a job touring with Kate Vougele or whatever her name is. One of them pop stars.

Or go to Hawaii :bigsmile:

That's very high on my possibility list. When our friend picked up and moved to Hawaii a few years ago, we visited him and loved it.

Don't waste this time on the continent, Shlup, get the hell out of here! I wouldn't even recommend New York for an adventure, get out of the country while you have the opportunity.

That's right, I wanna get the hell outta here! Go someplace with accents.

I really tried to work BJ on the Japan angle. Did a good amount of research on it and everything, but he's not budging on that one. I know if I'm able to con him into it it's going to have to be an English-speaking country.

Madame Adequate
07-27-2009, 05:16 AM
That's right, I wanna get the hell outta here! Go someplace with accents.

You people have accents. :colbert:

eestlinc
07-27-2009, 05:57 AM
If BJ can geta gig playing drums on a cruise ship you should totally do that.

Shlup
07-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I know, I totally want to. He thinks he'll get too sea sick, but I'm still working on that as our #1 option.

Fonzie
07-27-2009, 06:33 AM
All BJ does is say no! :mad2:

Bunny
07-27-2009, 06:48 AM
That's very high on my possibility list. When our friend picked up and moved to Hawaii a few years ago, we visited him and loved it.

Where does he live? I recently went to both the Big Island and Oahu and enjoyed the former a bunch more. Working on a huge resort would be amazing.

Shlup
07-27-2009, 06:53 AM
All BJ does is say no! :mad2:

That's what I'm sayin'!

Where does he live? I recently went to both the Big Island and Oahu and enjoyed the former a bunch more. Working on a huge resort would be amazing.

He lived on Maui. We visited Oahu too, but just Honolulu for a couple of days.

Giggles
07-27-2009, 08:44 AM
I've heard that Hawaii is really expensive to live in.

Aside from that, I have a friend who has a sister...and she went to Europe and did the work for a few weeks, take a train to the next place, etc. She went all through Germany and Holland as well as few other places I think.

You could always come to Washington State and camp your way along the coast!

This sounds like an amazing opportunity that shouldn't be passed up! I recently lost my job as well and if Ben didn't just get promoted...I would so do this. Tell BJ it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and the fact is that as long as you're in the adventurous mindset, it doesn't really matter where you go! But both of you being free from jobs and a lease might never, ever happen again. So go for it!

Marshall Banana
07-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Strawberry post icon! I've always wanted one! UWAAA! :ichigo:

You should get a job driving this strawberry truck around in whatever country this photo was taken in:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/ichigotruck.jpg

Hijack it, if you have to.

Jiro
07-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Australia. We have plenty to do. And if, for some reason, you get bored, New Zealand is right there.

Breine
07-27-2009, 09:08 AM
New Zealand sounds good. I know people who have been there and truly loved it - I wanna go there myself one day.

As for Japan, we stayed in a hostel in Tokyo where you could work there and then stay there for free. I think you had to clean maybe 5 hours a day, and then you had a certain amount of days off each month. I don't know if that's a common thing for Japanese hostels to offer, might be worth checking out.

Sigh, I wanna go traveling again.

Bunny
07-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I've heard that Hawaii is really expensive to live in.

The way I remember it, Maui and Oahu are hella expensive but almost everyone on the Big Island holds 2-3 jobs. When I was taking an island tour on the way to Kīlauea, we passed a bunch of little villages and stuff that looked almost run down. There's also a massive amount of areas that live "off the grid" for a significant amount less than what it would cost to live.. on the grid, I guess. That was around Hilo though, I'm pretty sure the area around Kona is significantly different.

Shlup
07-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Hawaii is expensive to live in, but we don't need a lot. It's not like around here where if you move to a bad neighborhood you'll be smack in the middle of a race war.

I think I'm going to have to go with the strawberry truck driver suggestion though.

Iceglow
07-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Shlup I'm really sorry to hear that you're sufferring the joblessness atm.

I know that there is a recession ect but, try the UK perhaps. London is always crying out for teachers especially qualified maths teachers. Also if you're after something more temporary then theres always bar work and the such.

Levian
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
New Zealand sounds pretty awesome, it's definitely something I would dream about if I didn't have the next two years booked in school.

Crimson
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM

I know that there is a recession ect but, try the UK perhaps. London is always crying out for teachers especially qualified maths teachers. Also if you're after something more temporary then theres always bar work and the such.

I disagree, job-wise England is fairly decent in many aspects, but especially in the cases of the larger cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham etc) it is also subject to a hostile social enviroment, and these particular people responsible dont even like eachother, so god knows how they'd treat foreigners.

Iceglow
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM

I disagree, job-wise England is fairly decent in many aspects, but especially in the cases of the larger cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham etc) it is also subject to a hostile social enviroment, and these particular people responsible dont even like eachother, so god knows how they'd treat foreigners.

I live in London, job wise the city is not pretty decent I agree that the main industries affected are banks and the like but I also contest that fact because I'm one of those who knows personally people who were made redundant as a result of the recession. However Shlup is a teacher and I can guarantee pretty much as a certainty that if she came to London she could teach because London has and always has had a shortage of qualified teachers. Believe me in something that would likely make Shlups veins throb through her head I was taught GCSE maths by a drama teacher.

Shoeberto
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
The economy is booming in Northwest Arkansas, and it's not actually ghetto or backwoods there like it is in the rest of the state. Plus the cost of living is probably like half of what it is for you in California so you're probably already considered rich people!

Madame Adequate
07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah the economy over here is fairly disasterous. A teacher might do okay but about the only people I can think of guaranteed work are doctors and dentists and such.

fire_of_avalon
07-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Peace corps!

You have to do a 2 year commitment to do Peace Corps. And you have to learn different languages.

I think you should move to somewhere totally and completely uncool. Like Delaware or Alabama or something. And then find your adventure there. I've always wanted to go wander around states that weren't particularly spectacular and just exist with people.

However I totally think you should stay in the US. There's so much here to do and it's so much easier to do it.

OH MAN. YOU SHOULD GO LIVE IN A NATIONAL PARK FOR A YEAR AND BE PARK RANGERS. that would be totally cool and there would be bears.

Marshall Banana
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Southeastern Kentucky needs math teachers.

smittenkitten
07-27-2009, 02:12 PM
New Zealand! :heart:

If me and Daniel ever get married we're going to move there. I think it'll be pretty cool sun 80% of the time and a pretty scenery out every window. Even though Australia is not as pretty I really want to go there I think it's because of all the animals. The Uk is in job crisis atm with the credit crunch and all so I wouldn't reccomend here. germany is a good place for work. My friend Anna moved there for a few months and did hair dressing. :)

Dignified Pauper
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a couple of friends who backpacked across Europe for a month. Maybe you could do that. For some reason, a lot of Europeans seem willing to take in strangers for the night if they are traveling through. I'm sure you could span it out across a few months, and by doing so, meet a lot of interesting people and you may also find a place to settle down unexpectedly.

Besides, weren't you a teacher? Maybe you could teach English in another country. Granted, you'd have to pick up a lot of their language, but by immersing yourself in it, it'd be easier to do.

Or, just move in with Jamil.

Iceglow
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah the economy over here is fairly disasterous. A teacher might do okay but about the only people I can think of guaranteed work are doctors and dentists and such.

Quite true, though it shouldn't be said a lot of jobs particulary in London go when you "know someone" if BJ needed a job desperately then it's not too bad a time to go for London, he could get summer restaurant work and in september and october the stores do christmas temp hiring. It's not a brilliant plan from BJ's perspective I'm sure but it could be temporary until he can sort himself out with something much more suitable for his skills (I don't know much about what BJ does)

Roogle
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM

What? No, I don't want to live with any couples.

eestlinc
07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Mandee teaches math?

Raistlin
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
What else could she teach? She at least has her fingers to count on if need be.

Breine
07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I have a couple of friends who backpacked across Europe for a month. Maybe you could do that. For some reason, a lot of Europeans seem willing to take in strangers for the night if they are traveling through. I'm sure you could span it out across a few months, and by doing so, meet a lot of interesting people and you may also find a place to settle down unexpectedly.

Backpacking is always a great idea. I did it, and I had the time of my life. For sure! It's just that Europe is quite expensive (for the most part anyway), but it's easy to travel from country to country with train. You can get like a 1-3 month railpass that you can use all over the continent.

Besides, weren't you a teacher? Maybe you could teach English in another country. Granted, you'd have to pick up a lot of their language, but by immersing yourself in it, it'd be easier to do.

Go to China! They're looking for teachers all over the place :bigsmile:

rubah
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes Shlup, come to NWA! :D You could work at the FIRST WALMART IN THE WORLD!

Vyk
07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I never understood the female lust for adventure, especially during harder times. I can understand BJ's take on the situation I think. I mean you're jobless, and about to become homeless. Unless you have awesome well set and helpful families, he's probably thinking "ok we're about to start living in our cars and gas will be hard enough to afford, let alone the thousands of dollars for an -adventure-!"

The idea of an adventure sounds exciting to pretty much everyone. But us practical minded people need more than just a pipe dream to drop everything and do it. 'Cause with your situation, the last thing you want to have happen is get stranded somewhere with no options and wind up in a shelter

But if you have a few thousand dollars set back for just such an occasion then by all means, slap some sense into him and good luck on your adventure and I wish you the best

The girls I've known that basically wanted to be traveling hobos never had a real plan, let alone the finances available to do anything better

My first girlfriend and longest relationship so far was a very intelligent girl that had every intention of just living lightly and spending 6 months in a country and then packing up and moving to the next. She took a course that would eventually send her to Japan to teach english as a second language to guarantee her a start on the trip. I needed a bit more security and planning. 'Cause the last thing I want is to wind up stranded in a country I couldn't ask for help in for anything and probably wind up homeless there all because she had a thirst for adventure. So I broke up with her to not hold her back. And she still lives in the same place she did when I met her. The want for adventure didn't pay for her needs to get the job done

So again. I hope you have finances and a plan. And good luck

Jess
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I disagree with Iceglow. It's true that they're always crying out for qualified teachers here but, in these times I wouldn't suggest London as the place to go. It's the most expensive place to live in the UK. Plus, do you really want cold and rain all year round? :(

If it were me, I'd just go somewhere hot and be either a holiday rep and/or work in a bar. Always plenty of barwork in holiday resorts, but it all depends on whether you like that sorta thing :jess:

Old Manus
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
You're all pussies. Hit up Equitorial Guinea, under the iron fist of Teodoro 'What Human Rights?' Obiang.

Crimson
07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I disagree with Iceglow. It's true that they're always crying out for qualified teachers here but, in these times I wouldn't suggest London as the place to go. It's the most expensive place to live in the UK. Plus, do you really want cold and rain all year round? :(

If it were me, I'd just go somewhere hot and be either a holiday rep and/or work in a bar. Always plenty of barwork in holiday resorts, but it all depends on whether you like that sorta thing :jess:

Christ now I have a sudden urge to hit up Blackpool, awesome beach and tons of bars/clubs.

Peegee
07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Jumping into a new area to find work is very exciting and stuff. I would and probably could jump ship and work in Australia with minimal set-up/effort.

To convince him, merely show him that the savings you should have is sufficient to pay for the down payment on a new place, and that your respective expertise is more than sufficient to find work in any new area.

Then go to someplace fun, like Canada Sweden.

Darkswordofchaos
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
well if your looking for work i would suggest stay as far from the south east as possible unless your certified welders or somthing along those lines

The Jamie Star Scenario
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Munich! I have no idea what the job situation is like there but I adore the place and would love to live there at some point. It's totally where I'm running to if everything I have here goes bottoms up or when I have enough money.

Oh! And if you really are strapped for cash don't let that stop you having an awesome adventure: CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time (http://www.couchsurfing.org/)

black orb
07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
>>> I heard Cuba is an interesting place..

Miriel
07-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Oh! And if you really are strapped for cash don't let that stop you having an awesome adventure: CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time (http://www.couchsurfing.org/)

I'm a member of CouchSurfing! Amanda, if you ever wanted to, you can come surf on our couch!

I hope BJ realizes what an amazing opportunity this would be for you guys. If Tony lost his job, I'd consider it an imperative that we leave and go have an adventure. When else are you gonna be in a position where you don't have kids, aren't preggers, and don't have obligations toward your job? You must do this!

Places I would consider living for an extended period of time: South Korea, New Zealand, Spain, Italy.

It would be more difficult to go to a country where you don't speak the language but it would be more adventurous too! You have your whole lives to live in places where people speak the same language as you. Might as well take the plunge into something completely different and foreign while you're still young. And it gives you the opportunity to pick up a new language.

The only acceptable place to go that's still in the states is Hawaii, since it's like a different country there anyway. But otherwise, gtfo!

Big Ogre Umaro
07-28-2009, 02:46 AM
I never understood the female lust for adventure, especially during harder times. I can understand BJ's take on the situation I think. I mean you're jobless, and about to become homeless. Unless you have awesome well set and helpful families, he's probably thinking "ok we're about to start living in our cars and gas will be hard enough to afford, let alone the thousands of dollars for an -adventure-!"

The idea of an adventure sounds exciting to pretty much everyone. But us practical minded people need more than just a pipe dream to drop everything and do it. 'Cause with your situation, the last thing you want to have happen is get stranded somewhere with no options and wind up in a shelter

But if you have a few thousand dollars set back for just such an occasion then by all means, slap some sense into him and good luck on your adventure and I wish you the best

The girls I've known that basically wanted to be traveling hobos never had a real plan, let alone the finances available to do anything better

My first girlfriend and longest relationship so far was a very intelligent girl that had every intention of just living lightly and spending 6 months in a country and then packing up and moving to the next. She took a course that would eventually send her to Japan to teach english as a second language to guarantee her a start on the trip. I needed a bit more security and planning. 'Cause the last thing I want is to wind up stranded in a country I couldn't ask for help in for anything and probably wind up homeless there all because she had a thirst for adventure. So I broke up with her to not hold her back. And she still lives in the same place she did when I met her. The want for adventure didn't pay for her needs to get the job done

So again. I hope you have finances and a plan. And good luck
You're poo-pooing the "female lust for adventure" with THAT (http://forums.eyesonff.com/album.php?albumid=49&pictureid=314) haircut? That's balls, Vyk. Balls.

Rye
07-28-2009, 03:06 AM

I'm a member of CouchSurfing! Amanda, if you ever wanted to, you can come surf on our couch!

I hope BJ realizes what an amazing opportunity this would be for you guys. If Tony lost his job, I'd consider it an imperative that we leave and go have an adventure. When else are you gonna be in a position where you don't have kids, aren't preggers, and don't have obligations toward your job? You must do this!

Places I would consider living for an extended period of time: South Korea, New Zealand, Spain, Italy.

It would be more difficult to go to a country where you don't speak the language but it would be more adventurous too! You have your whole lives to live in places where people speak the same language as you. Might as well take the plunge into something completely different and foreign while you're still young. And it gives you the opportunity to pick up a new language.

The only acceptable place to go that's still in the states is Hawaii, since it's like a different country there anyway. But otherwise, gtfo!

Gonna second Italy. It's really beautiful, even Northern Italy is warm, and most people there speak enough English that you won't have difficulty living, yet it's still a country where another language is dominant. I lived there for about half of a month, and I really enjoyed it.

It's a good place for relaxation, mostly. I remember being a little unsettled by their afternoon siestas, because I'm used to a NY brisk pace and everything was so slow and laid back, but I can really appreciate it now for some resting for a few months.

Go rent a villa in Tuscany and live out Under the Tuscan Sun because that movie is my guilty pleasure forever. Meet a village full of unique Italian characters and help out a pregnant lesbian have her child! Do it! :(

Madame Adequate
07-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Between the Mafia, the Pope, and Berlusconi, I cannot in good conscience advocate that anybody travel to Italy.

(On a more serious note do bear in mind that a lot of countries will want you to have a visa if you're planning to work. You can go chill somewhere awhile without but if you want pay, visas are a requirement.)

Yamaneko
07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Do what you do best. Whore yourself out.

Shlup
07-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Okay, now the suggestions are just starting to suck and I officially dislike a lot of you thanks to your horrible, horrible ideas. Example:

The economy is booming in Northwest Arkansas, and it's not actually ghetto or backwoods there like it is in the rest of the state. Plus the cost of living is probably like half of what it is for you in California so you're probably already considered rich people!

Gross. Also, it's got to be way less than half. My BFF bought a house in Oklahoma (which is like practically Arkansas) for $17k. That same house in So Cal would cost a good $200k, maybe a little less in this economy.

I have a couple of friends who backpacked across Europe for a month. Maybe you could do that.

We've been saving up to do that for seven years, but had to scrap it when we both lost our jobs. That's why my current plan includes finding a job wherever we go. Thanks for hitting a sore spot. ;________;

I actually looked into this suggestion the most, but BJ already put his foot down on anywhere that doesn't speak English.

What? No, I don't want to live with any couples.

I thought you liked to watch.

What else could she teach? She at least has her fingers to count on if need be.

:|

I never understood the female lust for adventure, especially during harder times.

He started this whole "I want to go on an adventure" thing! Just his idea of adventure is lame. Last month he was going nuts to just do something stupid like drive up to Idaho and then back down the West coast.

Unless you have awesome well set and helpful families

We do. Ending up homeless and/or stranded is not a fear we have. His parents would love it if we moved into their big, empty house.

Well now we're talking! We do have a few thousand dollars saved up, in fact.

To convince him, merely show him that the savings you should have is sufficient to pay for the down payment on a new place, and that your respective expertise is more than sufficient to find work in any new area.

Well, duh, that's the part of the plan I'm working on right now. Kind of.

The only places in the US I'm considering are Hawaii or Alaska.

Do what you do best. Whore yourself out.

And here I almost missed you. :|

Loony BoB
07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
If you do come to the UK, let me know. That's all I'm sayin'. BJ seems to have put his foot down on the best opportunity, so if you're going to an English speaking place then I suggest either going to the UK (try to find anywhere outside of London that there are jobs... London is insanely expensive and if you can find a place outside of London that will take you on then you've already saved yourself a bucket load of cash).

If you decide to come to Edinburgh at least you'll have Danielle and I to keep you company. =]

Alternatively, move in with Raistlin.

Rodarian
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your situation..... Everyone is feeling the pinch...

Hawaii sounds a whole lot better than Alaska...

I wouldn't suggest to blow your savings....In fact keep few aside in form of bonds. They will greatly help in the future....

Or you can educate yourself in a language course. Urdu, Chinese, french etc etc
I know BJ is vehemently opposed from shifting to country where English is not the first language.. HOWEVER..English is the Universal Language currency and places like Pakistan (where I'm currently posted) english is pretty much dominate for mostly everyone. There are tons of language schools here plus you can try setting up a private tutelage for the upwardly mobile. Many of the affluent send their kids to private teaching institutes and teachers can rake in a hell of a lot of money if you're up to snuffs.... India is another candidate but I'm here to promote my origins...Plus I'm here to give u guys a warm welcome! ^_^

Countries like Turkey, Russia, Thailand aren't too english friendly, however my sister just came back from a business trip from Manila Philippines and english is widely spoken...Don't sell yourselves short.

Apply to the US Government.. They do have overseas teaching programs and they do pay well.. Like I said though you would need another language to solidify your posting....Maybe you and BJ are suited for something else other than teaching.

I hope I've helped in some way...If you still need to talk about lemme know! I'm here to help!

Rocket Edge
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I can't suggest any solid places to go, but the point behind this post is this is your only opportunity to do something like this, so take it! You'll regret it if you don't.

Shlup
07-29-2009, 02:46 AM
I hope I've helped in some way...If you still need to talk about lemme know! I'm here to help!

You've helped me want to be an English teacher in some random place more! BJ's not the teaching type, though, so I really don't think I'll be able to convince him of it. I think if we went to a non-English country he'd turn into a hermit.

We talked about it last night and it seems the only way I can convince him is if I have a solid plan to get a job, so right now I'm job hunting. And he'll need probably a computer-related job, so I'm looking at those too.

Kirobaito
07-29-2009, 02:55 AM
If you should choose the UK as a place that speaks English, I must also point out that Edinburgh is a bitchin' place. Plus they have the Scottish people who you can actually understand. Living expenses there were significantly more than they were in Texas, but Texas's is also much less than California's, so there might end up being little difference from what you're accustomed to. Except bread. Bread was cheaper in Edinburgh than it is in Texas. That's basically it, though.

Shlup
07-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Right now I'm looking at jobs for BJ on EUROPA - European Commission - Homepage (http://ec.europa.eu) but it's giving me a headache. =_=

Renmiri
07-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Schlup, doi it now, after the kids come (if they do) you won't be able to travel as freely (or as cheaply).

Holland is great and pretty much everyone speaks English there

eestlinc
07-29-2009, 04:38 AM
yes Alaska! Home of eestlinc, starting in about ten days. And there are always jobs in Alaska that pay well because you have to pay well to get people to move there. But I hear the scenery is beyond amazing. and no (non-federal) taxes!

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-29-2009, 07:17 AM
I'd say come to Canada but I can't think of anywhere that is really looking for jobs. I know you can make good money working in the territories though. Between high salary and isolation pay, you make a lot. JUST COLD.

Montreal is super awesome but you need to be bilingual (French and English) unless you want to work in a kitchen or on a phone. :/

Personally, I am apply for JET (http://www.jetprogramme.org/) this September when the forms come out. I know they have things for couples, I think but you said BJ doesn't want to go to a non-English speaking country. :/

Shlup
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
yes Alaska! Home of eestlinc, starting in about ten days. And there are always jobs in Alaska that pay well because you have to pay well to get people to move there. But I hear the scenery is beyond amazing. and no (non-federal) taxes!

When I visited Alaska I absolutely loved it. It was Summer there though so it was between 40 and 60 Fahrenheit. xD

Burtsplurt
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
You'll definitely be able to get supply teaching work if you come to the U.K. I have a friend who has been doing supply teaching for the last term, and she was working 3-4 days per week at around £100 per day.

It's pretty good because it's flexible. If you wanted to travel to, er, Birmingham (?) then you could avoid working for a couple of days.

And BJ could become a busking one man band! :cool:

http://omlet.co.uk/images/onemanband.gif

Rye
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
I can't think of any place in country, if BJ really wants to stay in the country! Hawaii seems like a cool place. I heard summertime Alaska is beautiful, but I wouldn't go there myself to live.

I haven't really SEEN the Recession take much of a toll in New York so far, to be honest, but for a temporary job, the costs of living are far too hig if you want to live in Manhattan, which is the only adventure worthy place in the state. I'm sure it's the same/similar in California, which is why you're not adventuring in other parts of the state.

Manhattan is really a good place for adventure, if you're looking to go there, but to be honest, if I were in your shoes, I'd actually recommend Norway on top of everywhere else.

It sounds too cold even for ME, and I'm the girl who sweats buckets and whines in any weather over 75 degrees, but Norway is one of the only countries in the world currently where they're in an economic surplus, as opposed to a decline, or so I read in the paper. And we know how all of the Scandinavian members here can speak English and 8 other languages! It wouldn't be bad! Besides, computers are international, so BJ could get a computer job ANYWHERE.

Loony BoB
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
If you go to a non-Norwegian country, go to Stockholm in Sweden. It's the only place I've been to that I can compare with the beauty of New Zealand. And that's not even talking about the girls...

Rodarian
07-29-2009, 07:57 PM

You've helped me want to be an English teacher in some random place more! BJ's not the teaching type, though, so I really don't think I'll be able to convince him of it. I think if we went to a non-English country he'd turn into a hermit.

We talked about it last night and it seems the only way I can convince him is if I have a solid plan to get a job, so right now I'm job hunting. And he'll need probably a computer-related job, so I'm looking at those too.

Job hunting is a good thing...Maybe it won't be a teaching position but somethings are better than nothing... What BJ specialty in Computers, perhaps he can tune his skills and give it a refresh..Plus I know for a fact that if you're tech savy and good at math... Almost any company in tech service or dept would require his assistant...

My Uncle started out as a lil IT man..Now he has Microsoft,RIM and other companies under his belt and he freelances for larger corporate firm for his guidance and knowledge...
Bottom line:He's always said that it very helpful to retune and refresh your skills because in today's world, everything is relatively fluid in changes and adoption of newer methods.

You have my full support for whatever you both choose!

Yamaneko
07-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Despite rumblings in the media, we still need teachers in L.A. I personally know seven teachers who retired this past school year. If you're not too choosy it's very possible you could have a job down here for the fall.

My brother is finishing up his student teaching in a few weeks and will be (or has been) job hunting for an English position. I'll tell you how it goes.

Chemical
07-30-2009, 04:42 PM
<a href="http://www.careers.ed.ac.uk/STUDENTS/Job-hunting/Vacation_Work/VacWorkAbroad.htm">General Info on Working Abroad</a>

<a href="http://omprakash.org/?gclid=CMmogIzi_ZsCFclL5Qod1jqE9A">Volunteer Abroad</a>

<a href="http://www.ciee.org/teach/china/index.html?gclid=CJvYjoPh_ZsCFQ_yDAodGF7__A">Teach Abroad</a>

<a href="http://www.realgap.com/Brochure%20Request?source=google&gclid=CIDSuunh_ZsCFSMeDQodAgNi-w">Brochure Request for Working Abroad</a>

I can also ask my friend Matt what he did, but he's from Australia and he came to Canada to work. It was through an agency, they set him up with a visa, a place and a job.

Croyles
07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
If you come to Germany ill give me a message lol.

Jojee
07-31-2009, 08:06 AM
My friend loved Alaska. All the white people that actually go to live in Hawaii that I've talked to did not like it so much; apparently they're really racist down there.

Definitely go on an adventure~ I love adventures. ^_^ Do something crazy and fun. Bike across a different continent! I would do that if I had the time/money, but to Canadia did for this year. :</>D

Or, sail across the Carribean. krissy and I will do this after I graduate from law school. I'm super serious I want to do this. D:< We just need to learn to swim first.

And Wesly, Kaycee, krissy, and I are gonna go backpacking through Europe once Wesly finishes law school! Italy would be the country that I really, really want to hit up in Europe. Top of the line fashion, beautiful country and culture. Venice <3

I also want to hit up South America at some point.

Croyles
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
My friend loved Alaska. All the white people that actually go to live in Hawaii that I've talked to did not like it so much; apparently they're really racist down there.

Definitely go on an adventure~ I love adventures. ^_^ Do something crazy and fun. Bike across a different continent! I would do that if I had the time/money, but to Canadia did for this year. :</>D

Or, sail across the Carribean. krissy and I will do this after I graduate from law school. I'm super serious I want to do this. D:< We just need to learn to swim first.

And Wesly, Kaycee, krissy, and I are gonna go backpacking through Europe once Wesly finishes law school! Italy would be the country that I really, really want to hit up in Europe. Top of the line fashion, beautiful country and culture. Venice <3

I also want to hit up South America at some point.

Beautiful country, yes, but overpriced fashion. Also, I wouldnt expect too much of the water in Venice, it'l probably be the dirtiest you've ever seen lol.

Loony BoB
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Seriously? Book a week in Edinburgh for August if you can. I assure you: Worth it. 8-)

Jojee
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Sure, we plan to go everywhere, if it actually happens. xD It's 3 years from now though, sooo... we're not planning <i>too</i> much, but it's fun to talk about.

Haha yeah, I imagine fashion in Italy would be expensive. But fun to look at. :}~

Bunny
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Seriously? Book a week in Edinburgh for August if you can. I assure you: Worth it. 8-)

I hear you like walking around in your underwear when you have company over.

Shlup
07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
BJ's totally caving. I'm starting to win and now I'm getting excited. I'm gonna start picking a place to look into living and then start job hunting. :D

You'll definitely be able to get supply teaching work if you come to the U.K. I have a friend who has been doing supply teaching for the last term, and she was working 3-4 days per week at around £100 per day.

It's pretty good because it's flexible. If you wanted to travel to, er, Birmingham (?) then you could avoid working for a couple of days.

And BJ could become a busking one man band! :cool:

Supply teaching is... substitute teaching? That sounds like a good plan.

And BJ would make a great one man band, I'm sure. xD

Despite rumblings in the media, we still need teachers in L.A. I personally know seven teachers who retired this past school year. If you're not too choosy it's very possible you could have a job down here for the fall.

My brother is finishing up his student teaching in a few weeks and will be (or has been) job hunting for an English posi<b></b>tion. I'll tell you how it goes.

LA is not exotic or interesting.

I can also ask my friend Matt what he did, but he's from Australia and he came to Canada to work. It was through an agency, they set him up with a visa, a place and a job.
I'mma look at those links when I wake up tomorrow. That sounds awesome! Except for the Canada part, ewww.

Raistlin
07-31-2009, 09:29 PM

I give this a 2-3.5% chance of actually happening.

Giggles
08-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Shlup! How To Travel The World For Free (Seriously) (http://thetravelersnotebook.com/how-to/how-to-travel-for-free/)

I didn't actually read the article...but it looks like something that could help!

Shlup
08-01-2009, 04:36 AM
That article is terrifying.

The Captain
08-01-2009, 04:57 AM
You could join Teach For America or the Peace Corp if you're really looking for an adventure.

Or, you could look into being an Au Pair in another country. Many people would love for their children to learn english, so you would have a leg up there.

Take care all.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Those are good suggestions. I worry that things like that would make it difficult for BJ and I to stick together though. In my pre-BJ years I did aspire to be an Au Pair.

Giggles
08-01-2009, 05:49 AM
That article is terrifying.

Oh my god, it really is! Maybe I should have read it before posting :erm:

Blackmage
08-01-2009, 04:10 PM
You could totally move to Tennessee (after going on an adventure of some sorts). Meet some crazy back-water people, teach them there youngin's how to speak English, and get rich on an underground moonshine operation!

But in all honesty, Tennessee is one of the cheapest places to live in the US (should the US still be an option), with only the sales tax being high as heck (to make up for the fact that there's no state income tax). As long as you don't go out into some back-water place, it's not that bad; my family used to live in California, and moving out here has proven to be far better than I had originally imagined.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Tennessee is not a real place. It was made up to frighten children into going to bed at night.

The high sales tax with no income tax sounds pretty awesome though.

Marshall Banana
08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
<a href="http://www.chickenfestival.com/" target="_blank">Here.</a>

Shlup
08-01-2009, 11:19 PM
World's largest skillet? Colonel Sanders museum? xD

Keep your chicken festival. We have a garlic festival and a strawberry festival.

Marshall Banana
08-02-2009, 12:33 AM
:kaocry2:

Colonel Sanders attends it every year, though! He's really creepy.

Edit: We also have <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow" target="_blank">moonbows</a>, but I've never attempted to see one.

eternalshiva
08-02-2009, 01:18 AM
I suggest teaching English in China. You make a ton of money, you get to explore and they pay your room and board. That's what I wanted to do before I got sacked with a kid.

Shlup
08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I saw a moonbow in Hawaii. It was crazy because I never knew the existed before I saw it.

Teaching English in Japan is at the top of my list. China not so much, but totally Japan. At first BJ was super against it, but he might be cracking a little. Still, I think we'll end up having to go with an already English-speaking country, which I feel like is really limiting my ability to get a job.

Bunny
08-02-2009, 09:19 AM
"No Japan, no sex."

Shlup
08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
That doesn't work; his will is stronger than mine.

CimminyCricket
08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but Hawaii isn't the kind of place you go to live if you a) have only visited b) have no family there c) don't have thick skin.

Hawaiins, in general, are highly racist and still consider us (practically anyone from the mainland) as intruders into their country (you know, even though they're a state).

This place gets old fast as there is only so much to do. I live on Oahu and there's only so many times I can go to North Beach, get drunk at the clubs in Waikiki and scope out the Dole Plantation and the Pearl Harbor exhibits.

If you like scuba diving, hiking and beaches a lot, maybe this place is for you. I can't lie, this place is gorgeous; I just can't handle the humidity.

I live in the barracks, so I'm not paying out right to live here, but those of my friends who are married are paying huge amounts to live out in town. A friend of mine recently had to move out of a one room family house. It was just a single room, the 'bedroom' and kitchen were connected and there was only a small sink, toilet and shower in the bathroom. They were paying 1,700$ a month on a six month lease. That's cheaper than finding and living in a full house. Those of my friends attending college here are spending close to that to live in apartments that used to be hotel rooms. Tiny hotel rooms.

Road trips to something new are impossible, living on an island sucks. You can fly inter-island round trip for an average of 150$ per person, so I suppose if you'd like a vacation from the norm you can do that. But, if you're like me and like driving from state to state to visit places or people, you're :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of luck.

Shlup
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Well, it would only be for a few months, and I do like diving and hiking and beaches. When I visited before it was with the locals (a friend lived there at the time; we stayed with him) and everything was fine.

Hawaii isn't at the top of my list though.

Today's goal: Present BJ with a list of possible locations and list the pros and cons together.

Rye
08-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Moonbows?! What the hell? I have NEVER heard of those in my life, but they're AMAZING. =O

Shlup
08-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Everyone should see a moonbow at least once in their life.

It's like you do a double take "HEY RAINBOW WTF ARE YOU DOING THERE? THAT IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU!"

rubah
08-02-2009, 11:25 PM
moonbows are probably more common in a place like hawaii because more people are outside at night and I think it probably rains a lot more.

there'd be more people seeing moonbows if more people were outside at night, in otherwords.

Shlup
08-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Going over the list with BJ was interesting. About your suggestions of Arkansas or Kentucky he looked at me for a solid moment and then said, "I don't think I'm ready for The South."

I suggested just Couch Surfing but he said "Not with just me and you." Whatever that means.

Japan is much higher on his list than I anticipated.

Shlup
08-18-2009, 02:34 AM
I am double posting and bumping this thread just to say that I have created a blog to keep myself motivated on this. And that way if I fail people can mock me easier.

I Wanna Do Bad Things With You (http://iwannadobadthings.blogspot.com/)

IronOcean
08-18-2009, 03:01 AM
Honestly I dunno where would be a good place to go! MSNBC told me Indiana is a great place to live? MSNBC was wrong there is nothing to do and no culture but there is corn :mad:

Bunny
08-18-2009, 03:09 AM
You guys should go to Russia and drink vodka and wear fuzzy hats and dance around in the snow.

Shlup
08-18-2009, 03:14 AM
I love corn. And vodka. Maybe fuzzy hats. Not so much snow though.

Mostly corn.

Marshall Banana
08-18-2009, 03:19 AM
<a href="http://loc.alize.us/#/geo:35.596895,139.669378,21,k/" target="_blank">http://loc.alize.us/#/geo:35.596895,139.669378,21,k/</a> :kauberry:

Shlup
08-18-2009, 03:22 AM
It looks so glorious. ;_________;

I looked it up just like an hour ago to use in my blog too. xD

Raistlin
08-18-2009, 03:26 AM
2) The companies I've looked at insist that married couples be responsible for separate apartments, and only say they'll try to put them near each other.

Wtf? Do they have something against people sharing beds?

Shlup
08-18-2009, 03:28 AM
They're racist is what it is. RACIST.

I guess the way they have it set up with gaijin houses is that they hire someone and that someone is set up with an apartment. I don't know why they can't just say "okay these two people get one apartment" but they said they won't.

Rye
08-18-2009, 03:31 AM
You gotta use your Gaijin powers, Shlup. GAIJIN SMASH! (http://www.gaijinsmash.net/archives/gaijin_smash.phtml)

Shlup
08-18-2009, 03:33 AM
I was hoping my big blue eyes would be an asset here, but they don't show up in emails. I'm still working on making BJ go anyway though.

Bunny
08-18-2009, 04:03 AM
I was hoping my big blue eyes would be an asset here, but they don't show up in emails. I'm still working on making BJ go anyway though.

Lower.

McLovin'
08-18-2009, 05:08 AM

Lower.

That's the ticket Gromit.

Shlup
08-18-2009, 05:29 AM
The cans are a last resort.

Aerith's Knight
08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
You can always make him do some warehouse work until you find a nice job, then he can quit that braindead job and find another one. Whatever happens, income is provided.

Croyles
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
You gotta use your Gaijin powers, Shlup. GAIJIN SMASH! (http://www.gaijinsmash.net/archives/gaijin_smash.phtml)

Haha thats an awesome website and I wish I would have found it earlier. I was in Tokyo in June an this information would have been very helpful!

Tokyo was pretty cool btw!