PDA

View Full Version : Dark Cloud??

mattkd
07-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Anyone ever played a game called Dark Cloud for ps2? its a really great rpg game. theres a part two too. the second part was my fav. anyone else played this game?

Jiro
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
My local video store had a copy of Dark Chronicle, which is the sequel to Dark Cloud. I had intended to hire it out, but it was always out, and then it disappeared from their system altogether.

I haven't played Dark Cloud, but it's on the list of games to pick up if I ever spy a used copy.

Levian
07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, they're pretty cool games. Kinda Act Raiserish with the whole alternating between creating places and fighting. I gave up on that castle with 100 floors though.

trancekuja
07-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I didn't play them yet. I'm waiting for someone to recommend it to me.

Crimson
07-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Played both, pretty good.

Though Dark Chronicle was slightly better imho.

qwertysaur
07-29-2009, 01:18 PM
I only played the first one. It was fun, but the random diffculty of the bosses is quite annoying. The thrid boss should never be more difficult than the fifth :/

Vermachtnis
07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I loved this game. It was really fun. But yea that Sea Witch was probably the hardest boss in the game. But the second one was a lot more fun. Monica was awesome. But I could never bother leveling up her monster forms though.

xXsarahXx
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I only played dark chronical and i played the hell outta it.
Very very good game. i highly reccomend you pick them both up.

Momiji
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I remember that game! I loved it. I kind of wanna pick it up again...

I rented Dark Cloud 2, but I never finished it. I didn't like it as much as the first.

Raistlin
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I tried Dark Cloud, but it didn't keep my interest very long. I know a bunch of other people that liked it, though. I'd give it another try but I already have a huge backlog of games.

Rase
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
How has Dreddz not seen this? IIRC he loves these games.

I remember trying the first one and it grabbed me for about 6 hours and then I just kinda stopped caring. Now that I own a PS2 I may try again if I can find it on the cheap.

mattkd
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Dark Cloud 2 had a great story, I never got into a story as much as i did with this game. I agree, the sea witch in dark cloud 1 was the hardest boss in the game. prob not harder than the dark genie at the end. I'm surprised that ppl actually know bout this game, not too many know bout it

btw, in the usa its called dark cloud, in europe, its called dark chronicles

Masamunemaster
07-29-2009, 10:50 PM
I beat DC1 easy and was bored with it><

DC2 was fun and all but when youhave to put the moon peoples robot back together I always always got mad cause it never worked...even when I gamefaqs'd it:(

sephireland
07-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Anyone ever played a game called Dark Cloud for ps2? its a really great rpg game. theres a part two too. the second part was my fav. anyone else played this game?

Played every inch of Dark Chronicle and really enjoyed it. Highly underrated. Quite how games this good don't sell in huge numbers is beyond me :mad2:

Bunny
07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
I've played them both and enjoyed them decently enough. Nothing I would rush out and look for immediately though.

~*~Celes~*~
07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
LOVE Dark Cloud 1 & 2. I'll have to find my copy of DC1 and play it again...my brother lost my DC2 copy :(

demondude
07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I loved Dark Cloud 1, but I find it hard to play now because of its repetitiveness. Cool game though.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I loved this game. I hate when you break your weapons and get stuck somewhere though...

Oh, and the Sea Witch was easy for me. I just ran up beside her and fed her about 20 bombs.

mattkd
07-30-2009, 01:25 AM
dark cloud had a 100 floor dungeo after you beat the game. I only got to the 40th floor. its the same crap every time. dark cloud 2 has a smaller extra dungeon but its hard.

Has anyone ever played a game called Golden Sun? Now thats the greatest non square enix rpg ever. both 1 and 2 are great

Depression Moon
07-30-2009, 01:42 AM
What the heck is Dark Chronical? and I had a demo of Dark Cloud that I played a lot at one time. I rented Dark Cloud 2, but I was frustrated that I couldn't get the butterfly boss to show up, so I had sent it back. My brother's friend had told me something about pressing select.

Momiji
07-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Dark Cloud 2 is Dark Chronicle, DM. It was released in our region as DC2 and in others as Dark Chronicle.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Ooh, yes, Golden Sun. One of the best RPGs ever.

Breine
07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
I own and therefore have played Dark Chronicle. I enjoyed it very much. I really think Level-5 are great developers - I also have Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King and I want to play Rogue Galaxy as well.

I have only played a demo version of Dark Cloud, though.

Vermachtnis
07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
I own and therefore have played Dark Chronicle. I enjoyed it very much. I really think Level-5 are great developers - I also have Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King and I want to play Rogue Galaxy as well.

Rogue Galaxy is fun, up until the factory level. Then it just became a bunch of running around. But before that it was awesome. I really need to beat finish it.

Masamunemaster
07-30-2009, 06:57 PM

I love that dragon quest...til my game froze on me:(

sephireland
07-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Yeah nothing but love for Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King. Beautiful to look at and a joy to play.

Masamunemaster
07-31-2009, 04:45 AM
yea I was at the part before the final fight when you have to get thosespheres from the areas all those people died, my game froze beside trhe second to last one:(

sephireland
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
That's terrible. How many times did you try it? Mass Effect freezes on me a lot but when I reload it works fine...

McLovin'
08-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Rebuilding the cities was hella cool and fun.

Masamunemaster
08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
idk...it never froze on me before so I wasnt all save every chance I could cause I grinded in the final area like crazy....last save was before the final area:(

The Space Pope
08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I played Dark Cloud when it first came out. I thought it was kinda dumb at first (that stupid cat SHUT UP) but it eventually grew on me. I just hated the fact that I had to switch characters everytime I ran into something that blocked my path. I used the main guy and Osmond, I couldn't be bothered to build up the weapons for everyone.

Dark Cloud 2 was alot of fun while I had it, but I only got maybe halfway through and got rid of it for some reason that I no longer recall.

protip: DC1 is like 5USD used and DC2 around 12-15

Laddy
08-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Both underatted games. Hinterland reminds me of it, it's part Action-RPG, part Simcity, and both elements go well enough together to not feel too gimmicky. The Dark Cloud series was great, but the city-building felt like it was missing something, still great, though.

Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle was best, though. A rich world and suprisingly poignant story, that wowes you with its immersive and whimsical atmosphere rather than over-the-top high-end dull gray post-apocalyptic landscape. Oh, and the sheer amount of minigames are amazing. They have fishing, folf, fish racing, photography, city-building, racing, hide-and-seek, ridepod customization, monster form creating, inventing, and fish BREEDING, too.

Few games have made me clock in so many hours into it, but Dark Cloud 2 did. It is second only to Baldur's Gate II in sheer hours I've invested doing random crap. High suggest these games.

Dreddz
08-02-2009, 06:59 PM
How has Dreddz not seen this? IIRC he loves these games.

Nothing much to say that already hasn't been said really. I must have spent over 100 hours on Dark Chronicle and I reckon only 50 of those hours were me doing anything productive. The rest of the time I was excessively creating the towns to my satisfaction even though it wasn't necessary.

Level-5 really need to hurry up with Dark Cloud 3. There is really nothing else like these games.

Momiji
08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
!!

Is there a Dark Cloud 3 in the works, or is it just wishful thinking? :p

The Space Pope
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
!!

Is there a Dark Cloud 3 in the works, or is it just wishful thinking? :p
There were rumors that it was going to be released in Japan around March 2009 and that production was "confirmed" but I haven't heard anything on it since last year. Did a quick google and apparently nobody else has either.

So a sequel is somewhat likely, just...not anytime soon I'm guessing.

Dreddz
08-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Some Italian Playstation Mag apparantly hinted at the possibility of a third title in the series. And similer to every other rumour taken from a foreign mag, people took it as though it was 100% confirmed. Heck, I think even I did for a little while.

At the moment its pretty much confirmed that Level-5 are working on a White Knight Chronicles sequel. So its very unlikely we'll hear anything about Dark Cloud 3 until 2011. Although they could easily make the title for a handheld like the DS or something. I could see the town building working pretty well using the DS stylus.

Ryth
08-02-2009, 09:03 PM
The first Dark Cloud was okay, but the second one was just magical.

Momiji
08-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Although they could easily make the title for a handheld like the DS or something. I could see the town building working pretty well using the DS stylus.

I like that idea! I'd buy it. ;)

Shiny
08-02-2009, 10:42 PM
My dad decided to get me Dark Cloud one day. I had never heard of it before then, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I hated going through the dungeon and the extremely long introduction FMV in the beginning. I ended up selling the game to EB Games. Not a big fan.

Both underatted games.

Not so much, considering the first one had a Greatest Hits label when I got it.

BG-57
08-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Dark Cloud 2 was great, I loved the characters, the story, the world design. The only imbalance I found was I tended to rely mainly on the robot when dungeon crawling, especially the second playthrough where I could import some end game pictures and creature a devastating robot early on. The monster transformations never worked as well for me.

The time traveling aspects were done well, and I liked being able to see the future city spring up in response to your sim city tinkering. Best ally is Pau by far. Gotta love those moon bunnies!