PDA

View Full Version : What Kingdom Hearts should have been.

Dreddz
07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3797/seatransport.jpg

Some concept art for Warren Spectors new Disney game has emerged recently and I'm impressed. This is possibly the most interesting thing to come out of Disney for over a decade, and it happens to be a video game. I'm really excited for this project for two reasons. The first is obviously because this concept art is absolutely fantanstic and is exactly what I have wanted out of Disney. And two is that Warren Spector is behind the title who is the man behind System Shock and a personal favourite of mine, Deus Ex.

Heres a link for the rest of the concept art. (http://www.fredgambino.co.uk/web_pages/epicmickey/wall.html)

Edit by Kishi: Stretchin' tables, I won't 'ave it.

Raistlin
07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow (http://www.fredgambino.co.uk/images/pages/film_tv/epic_mickey/castle_side02.jpg), that does look pretty awesome. Has there been any other information released about this game?

Dreddz
07-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Nothing. Some are even claiming that this artwork has nothing to do with the game Warren Spector is working on. There are rumours its a Wii game though, which is pretty disappointing. Artwork this good can only be replicated well on the 360 and PS3.

Marshall Banana
07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Post-apocalyptic Disney?

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/goofy_zombie.jpg

Goofy is a zombie?

Creepy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Somehow, I don't see this coming to fruition.

Evastio
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
There are rumours its a Wii game though, which is pretty disappointing.
I've noticed that you're practically always bashing on Nintendo in every post you make in the Gaming Forum. It'd be nice if you cut down on it.

You could at least say something like "I'd prefer this to be on the XBox 360 or PS3", so you could avoid indirectly insulting Nintendo.

Anyways, to be on topic, this is a rather dark direction for Disney to be heading. It might be interesting, but I at least want to see some Disney charm and humour in the game. Otherwise this game will probably get a lot of Disney fans upset.

Rocket Edge
07-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I've noticed that you're practically always bashing on Nintendo in every post you make in the Gaming Forum. It'd be nice if you cut down on it.

You could at least say something like "I'd prefer this to be on the XBox 360 or PS3", so you could avoid indirectly insulting Nintendo.
It's not an insult, it's a fact. Nintendo doesn't have the graphic quality that the PS3 or 360 has, so it would obviously look nicer on the two latter.

Looks very neat indeed, judging by the screenshots.

SomethingBig
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
It's not an insult, it's a fact. Nintendo doesn't have the graphic quality that the PS3 or 360 has, so it would obviously look nicer on the two latter.

There is no positive correlation between graphics and artistic quality. I can give you a number of examples from the last generation and the Wii that have employed unique worlds, whereas for your beloved PS3 and 360, I can argue that most worlds are just BROWN and WILDERNESS. The problem with the Wii's graphical capabilities lies not within the console, itself, but producers who don't give it the chance to show off what it's got. The Wii's a little powerhouse, but 3rd party producers refuse to see it.

That said, this game looks very interesting. A lot of the artwork, like the robotic Goofy, is the stuff of nightmares.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Graphical fidelity doesn't automatically equal artistic achievement, but an artist's concepts (especially such detailed concepts as these) can be rendered most faithfully with the highest technology available.

SomethingBig
07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
There's no argument there, but there's no reason to think that something like this can't be done well on the Wii. Take a look at Shadow of the Colossus or Okami, which were perfectly fine on the PS2. Proper examples for the Wii off the top of my head are Mad World and the Conduit. They show that if developers actually put effort into Wii games, they can look pretty spectacular.

TyphoonThaReapa
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, it's obvious that Wii is having it's doubts by some third party developers, and it's also obvious that the Wii has it's limits, but I'm sure if the creators of the game try harder enough, they could actually make a game like this on Wii. Hell, I see similar problems the PS3 is having with third party developers the Wii is having. But complaining won't get anybody anywhere if nobody actually tries.

Now this game does look pretty damn amazing. I'd buy it no doubt. But hopefully it'll be multi-platform considering most games nowadays are anyway...

Depression Moon
07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Take a look at Shadow of the Colossus or Okami

But wouldn't both of those look better in HD on a PS3?
I'm interested in this. I hope that this game actually comes out. Looks to be some kind of action game.

Fonzie
07-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Kingdom Hearts would be perfect in a world like that. Of course, with a couple changes I suppose!

Madame Adequate
07-30-2009, 03:44 AM
I've just been playing through Deus Ex again recently so I can guarantee I'd be hyped for this.

Working title is reputedly Epic Mickey.

SomethingBig
07-30-2009, 06:14 AM
But wouldn't both of those look better in HD on a PS3?

I'm not arguing that it would look just as good on the Wii as it would on the 360 or the PS3. I'm arguing that, despite how the Wii isn't as powerful as its counterparts, the game would still look good on it. I brought Shadow of the Colossus and Okami up because they are considered to be artistically beautiful games, both of which are for the PS2. Rocket Edge said that the Wii is not capable of making a game that can achieve an artistic goal, so I used these two games as examples to show that this is incorrect.

Meat Puppet
07-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Why? The forum is gaming discussion.
[!]Opposed to private messaging this, as I considered it a public matter. No Swedes allowed.[/!]

Rocket Edge
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Rocket Edge said that the Wii is not capable of making a game that can achieve an artistic goal, so I used these two games as examples to show that this is incorrect.
Okay, let me show you my quote again:

Nintendo doesn't have the graphic quality that the PS3 or 360 has, so it would obviously look nicer on the two latter.
Where did I say it wasn't capable of making a game that can achieve an artistic goal? I never even touched on what games the Wii has or what it can do. If I was to comment on the Wii, I'd say I like the system. It's capability of holding a game (such as the one above), is undeniable. However, the point I was making in the quote above was that the PS3 & 360 are competent of producing a world of greater graphical quality, which it is.

SomethingBig
07-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Artwork this good can only be replicated well on the 360 and PS3.

When you say that it can "only be replicated well" on these consoles, it shows that you don't believe that Wii games are capable of achieving an artistic goal. It simply appeared from this statement that you had already lost all hope for the game, in terms of graphical quality, because it was announced for the Wii.

Rocket Edge
07-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I wasn't talking about that quote, I was commenting on the quote Evastio worked off:

I'd prefer the game to come out on the PS3, because it would get the most out of the game graphics-wise.

Jessweeee♪
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Whoa

SomethingBig
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
I wasn't talking about that quote, I was commenting on the quote Evastio worked off.

I know you weren't. I was merely pointing out the quote that caused this whole thing.

Breine
07-30-2009, 11:24 PM
Whatever it is, the artwork does look quite cool.

McLovin'
07-31-2009, 02:19 AM
If it's a serious game then it looks good but if its a kiddy Kingdom Hearts replica then meh. (because robo-Goofy looks awesome)

IronOcean
07-31-2009, 04:13 AM
that looks amazing i just wish i knew more about it, it looks like something really good could come out of it, the success of KH could spring up more serious games from them, disney owns the world you know and who knows what they have been behind so far, but with the disney name i am in agreed that there will be great humour and depth to the story, i will love to see what comes next

Markus. D
07-31-2009, 04:18 AM
That first picture looks absolutely stunning.

and while not wanting to hit into this off-topic argument, why is there no PC being mentioned? why not throw Macintosh into it too :\

Sword
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
that looks amazing i just wish i knew more about it, it looks like something really good could come out of it, the success of KH could spring up more serious games from them, disney owns the world you know and who knows what they have been behind so far, but with the disney name i am in agreed that there will be great humour and depth to the story, i will love to see what comes next

For a game that will look like this, humour is exactly what I don't want in it. This looks like the awesome-sauce of disney. It'd be the equivalent for them of the government solving this economic crisis because they've produced nothing but :bou::bou::bou::bou: since Pocahontas.

Heath
08-01-2009, 09:28 PM
The artwork is very visually impressive. While I don't doubt that the game could look very good on the Wii, I'll be honest and say that it probably would look better on a 360 or a PS3 though.

I do quite like how, in the first image, it's incorporated some of the imagery from the theme parks into its design, particularly the Spaceship Earth from Epcot.

SomethingBig
08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Where most Wii games fall are their overly gimmicky use of the Wii's motion controls to the point where not only don't they feel natural, they feel forced. It would be extremely disappointing if Disney put a lot of work into the graphics for this game, but hampered it down with waggle controls.

Dreddz
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Where most Wii games fall are their overly gimmicky use of the Wii's motion controls to the point where not only don't they feel natural, they feel forced. It would be extremely disappointing if Disney put a lot of work into the graphics for this game, but hampered it down with waggle controls.

Some people reckon this game will end up as a side-scroller similer to early Mickey Mouse games such as Castle of Illusion. If so then you'll likely just be playing the game using the classic controller. Something similer to Klonoa I would imagine.

To be honest though, if you aren't taking advantage of the Wii controls, then what purpose would it have on the Wii. I doubt they would set their ambitions that low for this project. I remember the first details of this game saying that they intend for this game to rival Mario. It would take a pretty ballsy project to do that. Although a Mickey Mouse platformer does have a lot of appeal, enough to topple Mario in my opinion. I just hope Spector knows what he is doing.

SomethingBig
08-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I really hope that's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Castle of Illusions fan and an even bigger fan of sidescrollers. However, for a game like this, I think a 3D, open world adventure/platformer would be better. I can imagine spending over an hour just exploring the world and not getting bored of it.