PDA

View Full Version : Significance of Ultimate's Locations?

MJN SEIFER
07-29-2009, 10:38 PM
On Disk 3 (or disk 2 if you decide to), you can follow the Ulimate Weapon around the map and it will stop and try to attack various places (we can tell it's attacking by a "sphere of energy" it is holding), I beleive at this point that for what ever reason Ultimate may have abondoned it's original mission (based only on my theories). Only one of these places (marked) has a vague conncection to it.

However do they have any significance within them selves?

Place: "Hole of water" (near junnon)

Reason: Can't find reason.

Place: Midgar

Reason: Has several reeactors/Shinra are there/ Sister Ray is there.

Place: Corel

Reason: There's a reactor there.

Place: Gongagga

Reason: There was a reactor there, but it is aleady destroyed so it can't be that can it?

Place: Crater *

Reason: Sephiroth is there.

Place: Mideel

Reason: Can't find reason (it has attacked there before though - but I have reasons for that via theory)

Place: Fort Condor

Reason: There is a reactor there.

Place: Ancient Forest (its final destination)

Reason: Absolutly no idea about this one.

Thoughts?

Raistlin
07-30-2009, 12:16 AM
My first instinct is that there's no real significance with the locations, and Square simply chose them for being easily recognizable (rather than "random place in the middle of the water"). I suppose one possible explanation that would tie most of those together (except maybe the "hole of water" near Junon) is that it could sense the Lifestream energy resonating from those locations.

Skyblade
07-30-2009, 12:32 AM
I always thought the blue orb was it trying to repair/heal itself, actually. I mean, I know it doesn't get any of its HP back, but that's what I think of when I see it.

Melissaur
07-30-2009, 01:59 AM
It also stops near Cosmo Canyon. Actually i believe that's its final stopping place

Sword
07-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Even though some of the reactors in the locations are destroyed or abandoned the reason why the reactors were built there in the first place is because of the over abundance of mako energy coming from them. This seems to be common with all the locations including Mideel and the north cave (not because Sephiroth is there). As for the Ancient Forest, I'd say it's just the final destination because there is no pre-existing way of accessing it.

P.S. Ultima Weapon*

Skyblade
07-30-2009, 03:26 AM
P.S. Ultima Weapon*

Ultima Weapon is Cloud's sword. Ultimate Weapon is the big flying mechano-dragon who drops the sword. We are discussing Ultimate, not Ultima.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-30-2009, 07:20 AM
They're both Ultima Weapon, technically, just like there's a sword and a monster with the same name in FFVI. FFVII's localization is just inconsistent like that.

I think he hangs around the crater near Junon because that's presumably where he landed, and it makes him feel cozy. :eiko:

Raistlin
07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Kishi always was able to truly understand the scary monsters...

Saber
07-30-2009, 06:16 PM
It seems to me that he is going to places where Mako exists. Since in the story they are the planets protector. I think its Ultimates way of healing with the planet.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Specifically, they're supposed to help the planet by destroying everything, in order to eliminate whatever threat has arisen and allow the planet to start anew.

Skyblade
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought they were just supposed to eliminate the threats. But since the threats were unreachable (Sephiroth sealed in the Crater and Meteor looming so far above the planet), they attacked secondary targets like the Mako reactors and generally just rampaged.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think it's ever completely made clear, but I think they just rampaged because the planet couldn't synthesize super-monsters with more articulate orders than "DESTROY STUFF PLZ."

Shattered Dreamer
07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I have the feeling the idea is that the Weapons were created by the Cetra /The Ancient to protect the planet. When Sephiroth sinks down into the crater causing the weapons to be released some how he's evil power corrupted the Weapons thus causing Ultima Weapon to attack places full of people or to put it like Sephiroth the traitors who took the planet from the Cetra!

Just an idea:tongue:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
The Weapons were created by the planet itself. That much is known.

Darkswordofchaos
07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I was gonna say its ultima weapon but already been said :mad:

Anywho the weapons are designed to destroy things hurting the planet and the number one threat to the planet ( not counting meteor) is people. so he rampages to kill them. in all the places that they are doing the most harm. As for the cosmo stoping place I'd say he knows he's close to death and thats just were He wants to die. Kinda like the elephants all going to the same place to die.

Also You can get in the anciant forest befort this you just gotta breed the chocobos to get a gold one.

BG-57
07-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I think the animators must have been Godzilla fans. Certainly the don't mess with Mother Nature theme is similar. Although to it's credit, Shin-Ra has a much better track record than JSDF ever did.

Random observation: you can get the sword Apocalyse from the Ancient Forest. Things sure are getting pretty apocalyptic by this point in the game.

Melissaur
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh and technically you only need a black chocobo to got there.

Raistlin
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
If you want to get technical, don't you only need a green? :p

The Weapons were summoned in response to Meteor. I always thought that they just went a little crazy because they couldn't really do anything about Meteor. Only two Weapons actually attacked population centers, and one of those places (Mideel) didn't even have a Reactor.

Melissaur
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
nope, I tried with a green and it didn't work.

TheSpoonyBard
07-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Only two Weapons actually attacked population centers, and one of those places (Mideel) didn't even have a Reactor.
Three - Diamond attacked Midgar, Sapphire attacked Junon and Ultimate attacked Mideel.

I think Ultimate WEAPON attacking Mideel is a simple mistake. The threat to the Planet is Sephiroth in the Northern Crater, the WEAPONs know this. Cloud fell into the Lifestream in the Norther Crater and surfaced in Mideel. As we know he has Jenova cells within him. At the same time Mideel is suffering from some tectonic activity as the Lifestream breaks the surface. It's possible the WEAPONs sensed the presence of Jenova cells (Cloud) and the impending damage to the Planet (Lifestream erupting) and confused it with Sephiroth, resulting in the attack. When Ultimate got there and realised the mistake and that his target wasn't the right one, he leaves.

Raistlin
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh wow, I mixed up Diamond and Sapphire. It has been way too long since I've played FF7.

Crop
07-31-2009, 01:20 AM
The Weapons were summoned in response to Meteor. I always thought that they just went a little crazy because they couldn't really do anything about Meteor. Only two Weapons actually attacked population centers, and one of those places (Mideel) didn't even have a Reactor.

Well that's not exactly true. I thought the weapons were created to wipe all threats from the planet - the main threat being Rufus and Shin-Ra.
A rough quote from Rufus when Weapon is attacking Junon is "Do you think we can handle all these attacks?" suggesting that the weapons have been attacking Shin-Ra Citys and outposts quite a lot, thus fulfilling their duty.

Raistlin
07-31-2009, 02:27 AM
The Weapons were created as a last-ditch resort to fight major threats to the Planet in general, yes. And the Weapons may have started attacking other threats once they were released, but it was clearly Sephiroth gaining control of the Black Materia and summoning Meteor which invoked their summoning. It even happened in the same FMV!

Crop
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
The Weapons were created as a last-ditch resort to fight major threats to the Planet in general, yes. And the Weapons may have started attacking other threats once they were released, but it was clearly Sephiroth gaining control of the Black Materia and summoning Meteor which invoked their summoning. It even happened in the same FMV!

That's true, it just seemed that some people thought the weapons only attacked three times.

Heath
08-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I had the same impression as Skyblade about how and why the Weapons are about and acting in the way that they are, namely that they were to eliminate threats but as Sephiroth was unreachable, they just went on a general rampage and went after Mako reactors.

If you want to get technical, don't you only need a green? :p

In my head, I imagined that it went to Mideel because of the access point to the Lifestream and its abundance of Mako energy, but that was just a conclusion I jumped to.

Skyblade
08-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Actually, I'm wondering about the attack on Mideel. Ultimate Weapon, after all, did not destroy Mideel, the Lifestream did. Was Ultimate the cause of the Lifestream welling up that way, or did it arrive there in response to that event? In which case, could that upwelling have been a potential threat to the planet, due to having some negative effect on the Lifestream?

Shattered Dreamer
08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Actually, I'm wondering about the attack on Mideel. Ultimate Weapon, after all, did not destroy Mideel, the Lifestream did. Was Ultimate the cause of the Lifestream welling up that way, or did it arrive there in response to that event? In which case, could that upwelling have been a potential threat to the planet, due to having some negative effect on the Lifestream?

I reckon Ultima Weapon responded to it as a potential threat to the planet & our heroes were just in the wrong place at the wrong time!