PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIV at Gamescom

Rostum
07-30-2009, 01:30 PM
After the announcement of Final Fantasy XIV at this years E3, many fans assumed we wouldn’t hear any more information until the Tokyo Game Show in late September.

This doesn’t seem to be the case however, as it has been announced that Square Enix will be showing several upcoming games, including Final Fantasy XIV at the upcoming Gamescom convention in Cologne, Germany. This event, previously known as Leipzig, will take place from August 19-23.

With only a trailer and a few questions answered by the development team to go on at the moment, many anxious fans are hoping that more questions will be answered and that we can finally get a glimpse of the exciting gameplay that Final Fantasy XIV has to offer.
Eorzeapedia (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/07/28/final-fantasy-xiv-at-gamescom/)

Yes! Hopefully they reveal a lot more than some pre-rendered video and a title this time around.

More information at Kotaku. (http://kotaku.com/5324679/square-enix-is-bringing-these-games-to-gamescom)

Zyuu
08-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Yeah, we at FFXIVCore.com will attend Gamescom and bring you the latest news live. :) Hopefully there will be a lot of news, but considering the producer of FFXIV will attend.. there probably will be.

Apricoth
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Zyuu will be able to get some live feed... Hmm.. Either way, being there personally means faster information to the rest of us. Yay! Much excitement!

Zyuu
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
That's a good idea actually. Not sure if I'll be able to get that out though, will look into it :)

Rostum
08-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Way to make accounts just to promote your website.

Apricoth
08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Just a heads up Zyuu, one of the administrators on the site that's contained in my signature, is at Gamescom - first day was today, sounds like there may be goodies tomorrow. If you want to pose some questions that Zyuu can use to present to the SE staff/developers/producer (whoever is there) feel free to sign up on FFXIV Core site and ask your quest. :) There is some live feed linkies in our forums as well - still working on that part.

Shlup
08-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Please stay on topic, Omecle. ;)

EoFF should send me to Gamescom too. I would report on this so hard.

Rostum
08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Please stay on topic, Omecle. ;)

No. :(

EoFF should send me to Gamescom too. I would report on this so hard.

Yes. :)

Okay...
Final Fantasy XIV Gamescom Off Screen Gameplay Video from GameVideos (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25995)

:D *pops out of excitement*

Final Fantasy XIV Online Video Game, GC 09: Lalafell Gameplay (Cam) | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-final-fantasy/54449)

Zyuu
08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/424-ffxiv-at-gamescom-updated-all-the-time/)

Apricoth
08-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Keep tabs on FFXIV Core site. Zyuu is done for the night and it sounds like he has an interview with the producer. You guys still have a chance to present your questions!

Shlup
08-20-2009, 02:43 AM
This is all looking very charming. Very nice job, Zyuu! :)

Mirage
08-20-2009, 03:08 AM
New mithra is too cute and not enough savage
new galka looks like a big hume with strange skin complexion

Rostum
08-20-2009, 03:19 AM
But cute cat girls are cute!

The Lalafell are definitely very cute too. Character animations are very well done too - not just the emotion examples they showed, but even with the character running, stopping and turning. It's all very fluid and yummy.

Mirage
08-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Hair has proper physical properties and isn't just a preset animation, that's nice too.

But i prefer my catgirls more savage :(

Rostum
08-20-2009, 03:41 AM
But i prefer my catgirls more savage :(

Meow. ;)

Well, maybe wait and see what the character customisation is like. Might be able to mage more aggressive looking cat girls, depends just how much we can customise.

Apricoth
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Exclusive Interview is up with Mr. Tanaka - enjoy the read!

FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/484-exclusive-interview-with-ffxiv-producer-hiromichi-tanaka/)

Markus. D
08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
So far the gameplay is looking a little clunky, but I'm aware the early stages, so... no hard feelings.

Lionx
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
No Jumping and Swimming in that interview is a real turn off for me. I really wanted a different experience than the restricted feel of FFXI. It really limits the game i feel if they dont add that in..and pulls me away from the game. I am this serious, i feel its horrible they don't have it yet. Gotta get with times.

I also wished they put Dueling like in WoW, where it was actually not a bad thing to PvP casually for fun. Also in the interview it seems like some Guildleves are going to be set by how many people are required for it. Personally if its anything more than 2 i am going to be pissed, i dont like having minimum requirements forced upon me. If i cant do it with 1-2 people then fine, but sometimes i just want to attempt it instead of waiting.

Mini-games is a go for me. No zoning is also a huge plus for me! That means i can do retarded things I cried aloud with mirth and merriment. If they let us jump that is...>_< I dont like the invisible barriers in FFXI...if something stupid happens you fall in the pool of lava and not twitch at the edge like an idiot.

Durability is a plus to me as well, since only consumables make money in FFXI now since nothing breaks.

I also read Eorzapedia a bit, they say the GM system will be similar to what they are having now. Their stance on Premier sties, GMs, and servers are kinda worrisome and i am afraid we will be plagued by the same bs as in FFXI. Only time will tell. I hope they go more liberal in this else i will be horribly disenchanted with this game.

I am trying to stay hopeful with this, but wary at the same time. Cuz..its SE xD

Miriel
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I would've really liked the swimming and jumping. I'm pretty sure that could have kept me entertained for days. :p

But it's not a huge deal. I just don't see why they can't include something like jumping which really doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to implement.

Also love the fact that there's not gonna be any more zoning. I hate zoning. =/ Although I gotta wonder what's gonna happen when you're running like hell from aggro'd monsters. Not sure about the whole, NO JOB SYSTEM!!! thing they keep emphasizing. I guess we'll see.

Since they're planning on releasing it in 2010, and they're in Alpha right now with another developer's version to follow. That doesn't seem to leave an awful lot of time for the Beta. :o

And thanks for the great interview, Zyuu. :)

Rostum
08-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought I read that the developers were looking into adding jumping and swimming. Would really like it to be honest.

Also, usually with seamless world MMO's, the mob has a certain distance before it stops chasing you.

Apricoth
08-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Check out the latest on FFXIV Core: Translated Video interview with Tanaka Hiromichi It is a little hard to see the game as he demonstrates some things but at least you have his verbal explanation on things. Translated and posted up today! :)

Lionx
08-22-2009, 01:00 AM
I assume that the more nastier the monster, the more longer they will chase you. I am sure theres fun to be had yet in running from a mob ;)

--

The interview was interesting, i like the fact that so many things are customizable. I am also interested if you can use abilities even without enough TP (just of course it will suck if you do like in Mana games). No Auto Attack = YES. Even in WoW it kinda felt like it had it, so manually doing something is alot better than waiting hella years for your weapon to swing even with TP regulating your strength. You're doing something thats the main part.

One thing that concerns me is that theres no mini-map of some sort. Hopefully that makes it into the final build. I hate going /map just to look for my party members, which should have been there from the start. Even Ragnarok Online had that...

Either way i eagerly await more, a couple things i am happy that they changed. However i still feel the more they go away from FFXI's design the more appealing it will be for the most part.

Rostum
08-22-2009, 01:02 AM
It's really just typical Square-Enix giving no information and a bunch of vague answers. Nothing has changed from their experience with the community from Final Fantasy XI it seems - it was one of the major problems amongst treating their user base like crap.

Look at someone like NCSoft, granted they've been more inclined to the Korean base in the past, but they are a good example of how a developer should connect and interact with their fan/user base. Surprise surprise, they actually inform the community what is going on, rather than be secretive and leave people hanging (and in most cases people just end up giving up).

Square would honestly need to reveal a lot more (and not just rely on questions from a fan site) and give the right information, or else it'll just leave people less interested. I suppose they will probably do this at the Tokyo Game Show. At least I hope. But yeah, same problem as has been with FFXI since its release.

Is FFXIVCore going to TGS?

However i still feel the more they go away from FFXI's design the more appealing it will be for the most part.

Yes, definitely.

Lionx
08-22-2009, 01:17 AM
TGS is probably where the big guns are out. I imagine Gamescon being their way of pushing their product into the European market(especially the German one). Still at least theres some videos...all we had to go with was a Trailer before.

Btw i wanna dual wield Shields with their new gauge system. Even if its stupid as hell i wanna do it for the lulz. haha

Apricoth
08-22-2009, 02:49 AM
I am not sure. I will let the Core staff answer about that TGS. I am just the messenger. :)

Rostum
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Okay, nevermind. I have more authoritative translation sources, seeing as there were quite a few problems with FFXIVCore recently. *cough*plagerism (http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/80512-translator-needed-4.html#post3011535)*cough* - Glad it's being resolved, however though I'd post some alternatives.

Gamescom - Famitsu Interviews Sage Sundi :: Final Fantasy XIV (FF14) at ZAM (http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=19342)
Gamescom - Famitsu Interviews Hiromichi Tanaka :: Final Fantasy XIV (FF14) at ZAM (http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=19336)
Gamescom - 4Gamers Interviews Tanaka & Sundi :: Final Fantasy XIV (FF14) at ZAM (http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=19378)

Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more » 4Gamer Interview with Tanaka and Sundi (Part 1) (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/08/22/4gamer-interview-with-tanaka-and-sundi-part-1/)
Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more » Tanaka makes presentation at Intel booth (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/08/23/tanaka-makes-presentation-at-intel-booth/)
Eorzeapedia: Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV, FF14) News, Wiki, Forums, Community and more » Famitsu: Interview with Hiromichi Tanaka (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/08/21/famitsu-interview-with-hiromichi-tanaka/)

Zyuu
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Actually, we have 6 translators. Before we had 7. However, the 7th person wasn't able to translate, instead he stole content and reworded it. It really made me upset. So we re-translated the three articles he 'stole'. All is good now. I can't believe someone would do that. I guess e-fame is important huh?

I also interviewed Tanaka in person myself.

We have it all up at FFXIVCore.com re-translated, also new information as well :)

And yes, we'll have two FFXIVCore staff members at TGS. One living in Japan, being native Japanese.

FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/484-exclusive-interview-with-ffxiv-producer-hiromichi-tanaka/)
FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/736-tanaka-hiromichi-appeared-at-the-intel-booth/)
FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/646-4gamer-interview-with-tanaka-and-sundi/)
FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/619-xbox360-version-of-ffxiv-delayed-due-to-discussions-with-microsoft/)
FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/512-gameplay-interview-with-tanaka-hiromichi/)

Mirage
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I would've really liked the swimming and jumping. I'm pretty sure that could have kept me entertained for days. :p

But it's not a huge deal. I just don't see why they can't include something like jumping which really doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to implement.

Also love the fact that there's not gonna be any more zoning. I hate zoning. =/ Although I gotta wonder what's gonna happen when you're running like hell from aggro'd monsters.

Adding jumping is a bit of work, I would assume. The players would be able to get to a lot more areas of the map, and there would have to be less invisible walls or the world would feel very restricted. SE would also need to make sure you could get back up from places if you accidentally jumped somewhere strange, else they'd get a huge amount of GM calls for stuck characters. That being said, I really want jumping and swimming.

As for being chased by monsters, I guess they'd do the only thing that makes sense, and that should happen way more often in FFXI, having monsters give up chasing you. A game is supposed to be fun, and few things are less fun than getting aggro you can never run away from, or having to run for 15 minutes, and then run back. That's a bullcrap time sink, and no-freaking-one thinks it's fun, or even fair.

I'm not asking for an easymode FFXI, I just want less things that are nothing but annoyances. That crap doesn't get you happy players, and unhappy players don't stick around for very long. I'm going to play FFXIV, but I'm not going to just hand them my hard earned cash if they keep as little as 10% of the totally retarded things in FFXI.

Rostum
08-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Actually, we have 6 translators. Before we had 7. However, the 7th person wasn't able to translate, instead he stole content and reworded it. It really made me upset. So we re-translated the three articles he 'stole'. All is good now. I can't believe someone would do that. I guess e-fame is important huh?

Ah! Well I am glad you got it all sorted out. It's a shame when someone resorts to things as such; especially plagerism, such a huge topic around the e-world these days. Thanks.

Zyuu
08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Ah! Well I am glad you got it all sorted out. It's a shame when someone resorts to things as such; especially plagerism, such a huge topic around the e-world these days. Thanks.

It is indeed. I can't believe someone would even consider to do what that person did. The fact I trusted him to do the translations out of all our translators show that he put up a good act. Heh :)

Regardless, we're happy with the current team of translators, some are very professional. We're up to 7 now again, Curse Inc has a native Japanese employee as well, so we can use her services as well.

By the way:

One Last Continue interviews Tanaka and Sundi

FFXIVCore.com - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite (http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?/topic/801-one-last-continue-interviews-tanaka-and-sundi/)

Lionx
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
There will be 'some kind of machines' as in Final Fantasy VI.

OH :bou::bou::bou::bou:!!!! ITS BIO BLASTER TIMEZ!!!!

Or so i hope anyway :D i love the MagiTek Armor if thats what they are talking about.

One last thing we were able to get out of Tanaka was the possibility of having Airship battles after seeing similar trysts in the CG trailer from E3 this past June.

/HomerSimpsonDrool bwaaaaarrrgggh...

Everything is so full of win.

Loony BoB
08-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I love how you guys are getting all drooly over the big things while I go "ooh, I can move my windows around like in Eve Online? That's such a massive improvement." xD I think FFXI is fantastic but it's the small things such as that which are most in need of change - and I'm glad they're fixing it.

Shame about the lack of jumping, though.

Del Murder
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
There's a windowed mode for FFXI, BoB.

Loony BoB
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I mean the windows within the window. Like, the chatbox etc. In Eve Online you can manage all the things like your items, player info, chatbox, etc. and move the individual windows around just like you're using an OS. In FFXI, the chatbox is always at the bottom, the status info always displays at the top left, etc. You can't move things. It can be annoying at times. =|

Lionx
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Its probably because FFXI is so dated so anything seems cool. o_o

Loony BoB
08-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Just going through the website now, there's a massive (well, relative to what I saw on previous FF websites pre-release) amount of information including an interesting bit which notes that you can, using Smithy tools, repair armour etc and sharpen blades. Does this mean we're going to see the end of endlessly flawless weapons?

Lionx
08-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Hopefully! The problem with FFXI was that alot of weapons do not degrade, so they just recirculate in the game. This means that crafting anything that was not a consumable, unless its a fat rare HQ item, to be quite a profit loss and useless to consider trying. They did try to remedy this with Guild Point items and Enchantments like Warp Cudgels ...but so little of them are useful... ._.

This made Alchemy, and Cooking alot more profitable by far, and made every other craft more of making things until they HQ for profit. Why else is Amemet Mantle so cheap and the HQ so ridiculously overpriced? But even then, lets say the game goes on forever...eventually certain HQ pieces of gear that were released earlier will become more common and even they will lose value too since theres more and more.

So with degradable weapons, they will break meaning you take them out of circulation, and meaning theres more point to making them in the long run. I don't know how XIV will do this however, if its anything like WoW then usually you wont have to worry about it degrading til it breaks. However i kinda do wish they would for common items, and for super rare l33t items to either have an insane durability rate or none at all.

Loony BoB
08-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd personally rather the opposite. It would be pretty harsh to force new members to have to shell out constantly for new items while the older members have weapons that last forever. If it's insanely good, you should either save it for the fights that you'll need it in, maintain it well or not expect to have it around for all that long. This would mean the higher up people with more cash will have to actually use that cash in order to maintain their "top flight" status.

What I imagine will happen is that every level of weapon will have both high and low durability varieties so you can choose how to invest.

Lionx
08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I kind of imagine Guildleves as away of making more money easier than FFXI since they might not have an AH this time around. I remember in WoW Durability was pretty much nothing or a couple quests.

Usually for things with insane durability or lasting forever...i imagine them to be super hard to get, with possibly something with similar stats with weaker durability with less effort.

Loony BoB
08-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Given that the AH is one of FFXI's strong points, it would be a shame if they did away with it in favour of something from WoW. I seem to remember Penny Arcade making a blog about how much they missed the AH and how WoW was horrible for how they decided to do things.

VeloZer0
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Sorry, not having played FFXI I don't know how the AH works in that game. Can you enlighten me on how it is so much different/better than the WoW AH? I didn't really have any problems with the WoW one, so I am somewhat curious as to what could make it even better.

Rostum
08-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I always thought FFXI's AH was worse than WoW's AH. In FFXI you have:

People monopolise prices.
Can only put up 7 items for sale at one time.
Find it hard to see popular items up for sale (I spent about 3 days trying to buy all my HQ staves).
Overpriced.
Taxes are overpriced (yes, you pay taxes to put stuff up for sale).
Sometimes you're better off sticking to rare/ex gear until you can get more rare/ex gear (meaning unless you have millions upon millions of gil, you will find it hard to gear yourself up well with the medium priced gear).

So no, the AH in FFXI isn't its strong point. Not by a far stretch. In fact, it's caused many many problems over the last 6 years. It and the way the crafting system is set up, makes it extremely hard to get gil even at high levels (unless you want to sell your soul to a HNM linkshell, which trust me; is not something you want to do).

Loony BoB
08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I haven't played WoW, I'm just going by a Penny Arcade I read the other day. It was an old one, though, so who knows if things have changed since then. I was just re-reading anything to do with FFXI to see if I would "get it" now :p

Rostum
08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, to FFXI's credit I think it was one of the first MMO's to use an auction house? Not sure if Ultima Online did but I don't think the others did (like Everquest, Asheron’s Call, etc.). I guess perhaps it's just I had always wished they'd continue to fix the problems with the AH system and they never really did, though perhaps that is just a limitation with the engine or the way the mechanics are set up in general.