PDA

View Full Version : What Is FF11?

mattkd
07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I never knew ANYTHING about ff11. I always ignore this one in the series but i love all the rest.
Is this game online ONLY? Does this game have a story? How long is this game? Is it a good final fantasy game?

Those have always been my questions. I need someone to answer them :D

trancekuja
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Since someone inflicted silence on our XI experts, let me explain it to you as a humble shepherd. FF XI was a glitch. It was never intended to be released outside of SE building, but due to some virus disaster(idk) it escaped and spread through the world. FF fans were desperately trying to rename it to FF online or something like that so it wouldn't polite their beloved main series with the number XI. But all efforts were in wain. Today the virus is weakening, but the ill prophecy says it will return once again as the FF XIV.

KentaRawr!
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I never knew ANYTHING about ff11. I always ignore this one in the series but i love all the rest.

Meanie.

Is this game online ONLY?

Yes.

Does this game have a story?

Yes, though the character you play as won't show any character development, since they're you.

How long is this game?

That depends on what you'd consider the end of the game. You see, it is an MMORPG, and as such, is huge. There is a main story to follow which you can get to the end of, but then there's also a ton of side-quests, and then there's simply leveling up your character, and stuff. :p

Is it a good final fantasy game?

In my opinion, yes.

Markus. D
08-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Is this game online ONLY?
Yes, yesyesyesyesyes.

Does this game have a story?
A variety, you have the main storylines and some rather deep NPCs.

How long is this game?
I'm not going to lie, it's a commitment before you begin, a long hard road of very required commitment.

Is it a good final fantasy game?
I have to say when I played I never even pierced halfway through any storylines (due to just not having the time I had to stop)... but what I did get to see was amazing, true Final Fantasy. The gameplay, you're a one man full party (without considering you're playing alongside others at the same time)... and a majority of the Job types are quite full of activity mid/later-on.

trancekuja is slandering what he doesn't know.

Crimson
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Played on Midgard for awhile, then I got bored, it's party system is decent, but it's gameplay is meh at best, and once again, it's an MMO so....yeah.

IMHO the only thing its gets perfectly right is developing it's story while maintaining a fitting connection with the MMO style.

But if your worried about feeling "unfinished" by missing it, dont.

MMO's have no real end to them and some people dont even consider it a main FF game.

So perfection wise, FFXI can be skipped.

Markus. D
08-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Played on Midgard for awhile, then I got bored, it's party system is decent, but it's gameplay is meh at best, and once again, it's an MMO so....yeah. .

I'd hardly call a game that calls for an absolutely hideous amount of macro-use and team organization your average MMO gameplay (aka. 1,2,3,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,2,1).

But could understand why you probably stopped... the grind is disgustingly long at times.

Rostum
08-01-2009, 01:15 AM
It's an MMORPG, and it is one of the few that follows some interesting story archs with missions and cutscenes. You have to pay to play it; but please do not argue this, it's beating a dead horse if you do.

How long does it take to play? Let's just say I have been playing since 2004, and I still have a hell of a lot of stuff to do. However, I have already completed the expansions (except the Wings of the Goddess one, simply because they are yet to release the final missions).

mattkd
08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
oh now i see. thats good to know. I wont consider it a final fantasy game. it sucks that you gotta pay to play

its a pc and ps2 game right?
is this game as hard or is the story as boring as FF12's?

KentaRawr!
08-01-2009, 11:11 PM
oh now i see. thats good to know. I wont consider it a final fantasy game. it sucks that you gotta pay to play

It's definitely harder than FF12, and the story presentation is really bad in comparison to other Final Fantasy titles. I won't say whether it's as boring as FF12's or not because I actually like FF12's story. xD

But yeah, don't play it if you're going for series completion. It's not the kind of thing for doing that. :p FFXI is a game that will require a large amount of time to truly enjoy, too. It may feel like you can go casual towards the beginning of the game, but as you progress you'll find yourself trapped in a world of grinding for hours each day.

Edit: Also, I've been making a lot of comparisons to other games in the series in this thread, but I'd have to say that this game shouldn't be compared to the Final Fantasy games. Instead, it should be compared to other MMORPGs.

Crimson
08-02-2009, 03:09 AM

It's NOTHING like a Console game, it's pure multiplayer unless your so dedicated to Soloing.

Ouch!
08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
It's definitely harder than FF12, and the story presentation is really bad in comparison to other Final Fantasy titles.
No offense, man, but you're only level 50. I'd hardly say you've experienced enough of FFXI's plot to be able to give a fair view regarding its story presentation. Each expansion has a plot of considerable depth, told through increasingly detailed cutscenes. I'd go so far as to say that the plots in Final Fantasy XI are better told than plots in almost any Final Fantasy title. Vana'Diel, as a world, has a far more detailed mythos than any other Final Fantasy title before, and that really shines through once you're able to immerse yourself in said stories. Unfortunately, for the most part, it does require that you have at least one character at level 75, but for a majority of the game's population, this isn't a problem.

It's NOTHING like a Console game, it's pure multiplayer unless your so dedicated to Soloing.

I'd like to note that soloing is almost impossible in FFXI except for a few jobs. Beastmaster, Black Mage, and Blue Mage are really the only jobs that can easily solo to 75. Puppet Master could feasible do it as well, but they really do better in parties anyway. It's a multiplayer game, through and through. There really isn't an awful lot of content for solo game play. It's just not how the game was designed.

PC, PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360 all support FFXI. It runs optimally on the PC for various reasons.

I've already addressed the story, but difficulty I have not. First of all, I wouldn't say that FFXII was a particularly difficult game, but I suppose that's subjective anyway. FFXI ranges from god awful, painfully difficult to almost obnoxiously easy. The prime factor for difficulty in FFXI, as is true of any multiplayer game, is the intelligence of the people you're playing with. A smart group of players can make even the most difficult fights relatively easy, but one moron can make something which should be a piece of cake hair-tearingly hard.

At any rate, given the announcement of FFXIV and considering how long FFXI has already been out, you're better off not joining now even if you wanted to pay to play (which you clearly don't, and I've addressed that elsewhere are really don't have the patience to explain it again so soon). You'll feel horribly behind in comparison to most everyone else, and by the time you make any decent progress, you'll find that everyone is like to leave for FFXIV in a year.