PDA

View Full Version : His name....is STU

Peegee
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Argh!

So I was talking to Chemical...I mean..well, okay, Chemical about Hsu and Rubahs (btw shh) and when I mentioned Rubah I blinked and went:

[pg] ....Allie...I mean Rubah

As the conversation continued Chemical said 'Hisu?' and I retorted 'His name is STU'

[Chemical] Hisu
[PG] STUUUUUU.. ARGH!

I answer to the name PG but that's because so many people call me it that I've adopted it IRL -- my license plate references my screen name, for example.

Do you exclusively call certain people by their screen names? Or do you like to call them by their real names, or perhaps more commonly, only once you are acquainted with them a certain amount to be comfortable?

I'm actually not comfortable being called 'Mike' by online people who are casual friends.

Jiro
07-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I prefer using their real names, but only in private conversations. Just feels more personal. But I use screen names a lot because that's how I met them.

Bunny
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
I am uncomfortable calling people by their real names unless I know them decently well. Likewise, I prefer people to call me Bunny rather than my real name unless expressed otherwise.

LunarWeaver
07-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I call them by their real name if I know them pretty well. I feel a magical click inside me and them and in the universe that says, "It's okay. Use the real name." True story. Otherwise I use their screen name.

Well, in personal conversations. On forums I tend to use their screen name. Not everyone knows who I'm talking about when I say their real name.

As for me, I don't care. People can use whatever they want.

Madame Adequate
07-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't mind whether people call me MILF or Hux.

Jess has, on occasion, referred to herself as Rye without meaning to. Hilarity ensued.

Yar
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
I prefer using actual names. In fact, PG, you're the only person whom I talk to that I actually use a screen name. :/

I don't know how you can build a relationship if you don't know each others' name.

Raistlin
07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
It still feels kind of awkward to me if anyone but a fairly small group of people online call me anything but my screen name.

Most people I call by their screen names, with a few exceptions.

Blue Harvest
07-31-2009, 09:09 PM
I mostly use screennames. In a way they're more personal and unique than real names.

Shoeberto
07-31-2009, 09:19 PM
WHAT WHY WERE YOU TALKING ABOUT ME STOP TALKING ABOUT ME :mad2: :hot: :mad2:

Breine
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I don't mind whether or not people online call me by my user name or my real name, and I probably don't even notice it either when I use real names about other members, although it probably doesn't happen that often.

theundeadhero
07-31-2009, 10:25 PM
It's a case by case basis. I generally prefer screennames unless the person I'm talking to calls someone by their real name.

Denmark
07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
If someone were to talk to me IRL personally, I'd feel weird being called "Denmark" or "Den" and I'd be confused since it's nothing like my real name. I usually only use real names in #eoff or IRL.

Marky Tee
07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
hi stu :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-31-2009, 11:13 PM
I seem to use real names--and <i>full</i> real names--where I know them, more often than not. I find it inherently makes my interactions with others more intimate, even if it makes them uncomfortable. Actually, <i>especially</i> if that.

Raistlin
07-31-2009, 11:20 PM
You seem content to use a butchered variation of my name.

Rye
07-31-2009, 11:51 PM
I really bugs me when people I talk to beyond PMs and a once in a blue moon IM call me Rye. I dunno why, it just makes me feel like such a stranger. Call me Jess!

Psychotic
08-01-2009, 12:15 AM
So it was great, everybody was callin' me Psy and I was one badass internet dude with a shortened name. Then suddenly one day everyone started calling me Paul in unison and I didn't know where I was anymore.

Crimson
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I will be refered to in both IRL and on the internets as The Emperor.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-01-2009, 12:32 AM
So it was great, everybody was callin' me Psy and I was one badass internet dude with a shortened name. Then suddenly one day everyone started calling me Paul in unison and I didn't know where I was anymore.

You will never be Paul. Paul Knox was Paul, and even now that you can't call him that anymore, that doesn't mean <i>you</i> can be Paul.

Rantz
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm cool with people using either my screen name or my real name.

I don't really give out my full name on the fora and would rather that others keep from doing so as well, but only because I don't want future potential employers to find my account here by a simple Google search (who knows how they could misinterpret my posts). I don't mind saying my full name in chat.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 12:46 AM
You will never be Paul. Paul Knox was Paul, and even now that you can't call him that anymore, that doesn't mean <i>you</i> can be Paul.

Haha, I thought the same thing years ago when people I talked to referred to Psy as "Paul." Even though that's my step-dad's name, online I've always related the name to Knox. Now that he's Gene I just call him "Knox."

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I look at it this way: Gene Knox.

<b>G-KNOX</b>.

He's like the super-powered robot sequel to Paulie.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
...Knox changed his name to Gene? o.O

Anyway, I don't care either way and tend to switch between calling people their screen names or their real names on a whim.

rubah
08-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I like to call Psychotic Paul because sometimes people think I'm trying to say a bad word when I call him Pssy!

I generally call them what I call them online. As for whether I use their real name or not, that depends on who it is.

Para exampla, I dont think I'll ever call peegies "Mike" unless I'm introducing him (Which might actually happen!)

Usually though, i prefer to give someone a personalized nickname, so whether they are called by their real or screen names has a lot to do with how nicknamizable those names are.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Kishi: That's brilliant. xD

...Knox changed his name to Gene? o.O

Yeah, a while ago. A couple of years, maybe?

Peegee
08-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Paul Knox still exists?

theundeadhero
08-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Not at EOFF so much anymore, though he posted a bit about three years ago.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Paul Knox still exists?

No, <a href="http://jumahn.livejournal.com/57779.html">he died in Iraq</a>.

The Space Pope
08-01-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't care who calls me what because names are arbitrary anyhow.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 03:07 AM
No, <a href="http://jumahn.livejournal.com/57779.html">he died in Iraq</a>.

Oh, well maybe it was only a year or so ago. Whatever. My sense of internet time is way off.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Well I'm glad he made way for a Superior Paul then.

I like the name Gene. That's my grandpa's name.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 03:17 AM
My grandpa's name was Maynard. I had to associate him with Bleys for years.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 03:23 AM
My nickname among my maternal family is Maynard. Having that in common with Bleys has always disturbed me.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 03:27 AM
My nickname among my maternal family is Maynard.

So they really do think you're a man?

Shlup
08-01-2009, 03:29 AM
It's a long story. Short answer: probably.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Since he hardly ever posts here anymore, I think you should be called Bleys from now on, since you both coincidentally have the same made up name. I vote for a name change.

Shlup
08-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I do have a pretty impressive Tonka Truck.

The Space Pope
08-01-2009, 03:53 AM
I never understood why some people are so shy/nervous about using their IRL names online. I find it terribly narcissistic personally; like anyone else is going to care that your name is Curly Joe Bob or whatever. If you're one of those people who're going to post a picture(s) for the online world to see then I don't see how a name is any worse. Especially people with common names, like anyone is going to be able to track you down on a first and common name. Hell if one were resourceful enough they could just reverse trace IP addresses and emails and even tap into them without a name...not that I know how to do that sort of thing. Nope.

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Except for friends I met IRL, I call everyone by their screen names when online. Even people I've been talking to for years.

I don't like it when EoFF people call me Jess, because it confuses me. I can't always tell if they're talking about me, Rye, or Jess. People used to think Jess changed her name to Jessweeee♪ when she'd stop posting here for a little while.

Recently my friends started calling me Jessweeee and it's weird.

Rodarian
08-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Can we just call you "wee wee" then!

Rod, Roddy or Hot Rod in days of yore over here

IRL, Murti, Mozart, M-dog, Bacardi and

and Mum use to call me

Mui Mui 0_o

Shauna
08-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Huh. My screen name is my real name, so I apparently don't mind people calling me by my real name. :P

In terms of others... I dunno. Depends on the person, I guess. On how well I feel I know them. :p

Markus. D
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I plan on changing my name to Markus when I grow up xD! or Deacon.

Jiro
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
People can call me whatever they want to call me, it doesn't bother me. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Still, I'd prefer if it was my screen name, real name, or a variation there-of. Making up something random will probably not get a response.

Raistlin
08-01-2009, 04:06 PM
People can call me whatever they want to call me, it doesn't bother me. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Still, I'd prefer if it was my screen name, real name, or a variation there-of. Making up something random will probably not get a response.

Good qualification there. Dr Unne made a similar statement a long time ago without that qualifier, and he then had to endure a couple of months of DocFrance and I calling him "Bri-dog."

Peegee
08-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Bri-dog, eh?

Heath
08-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I honestly don't mind people who I have told my name calling me by my real name but few people seem to! To be called my name by people who I'd never spoken to would freak me out a little though.

Xander
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM
I usually stick to calling people their screennames, until I've met them in real life or began to know them more outside the internet. Depends how catchy the names are too though! Like when I think of Rye/Jessica I would probably always call her Rye because it seems like a good real name :jess: The same with Zeldy, I always think of her as that.

Although some people who know me better online do call me by my real name it feels a bit strange, and Xandy feels the most normal to me these days. xD I recently met up with some online friends in person and when they phoned me they called me 'Xandy' on the phone, which was weird! But even when I write letters or emails to people I know well I end up signing as Xander even if they do know my name. XD

So yeah! If you have a neat catchy name I will probably just use that, and I prefer Xan-whatever to my real name anyway :P

Christmas
01-28-2023, 04:19 AM
No one ever calls me by my real name. I can never find a true deep connection with anyone here because of this. :(