PDA

View Full Version : Where is your tail?

Jiro
08-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Being a bush kid from Australia, one of my favourite past times happens to be climbing trees. It's just something the kids would do - go out and climb any and every tree they could like little monkeys.

Does anyone else like climbing trees (or buildings or whatever, I don't discriminate)? Share your tree climbing stories, particularly ones where you've fallen.

I have a falling story to share, but it's a secret for now ;)

Dethroned
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
i was a big fan of climbing trees when i was young, sometimes i would spend all day climbing, until my parents cut them all down :(

blackmage_nuke
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Tree climbing was one of the adventures I missed out on during my childhood, along with skipping class and underage drinking :whimper:

Marky Tee
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
as a child it was y main pass time
that and falling off them and taking wee trips to the hospital :P

Markus. D
08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't mind rock walls... and then I remember to look down and-

trancekuja
08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I love climbing trees! It's such a underrated activity... I mean, how can someone not like climbing a tree? It's your primal past-time people!
PS. When I was about 7 years old, me and my mates were climbing and in one moment I grabbed a branch which snapped,resulting in one broken arm. Thankfully, it was a left arm. My mother was pissed at me, hehe...

Jiro
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I tried to be tricky and jump from one branch to another a short distance away. With walls, you have something to counter your momentum. With trees, you don't. Suffice to say I hit the branch, swung under and fell (I think it was something like 3m, but then again, I did hit my head :D) and landed on the ground with a puff of dust.

Magic moment apparently.

Levian
08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I enjoy climbing hills but it's not so much because I enjoy climbing, I just want to see what's behind it.

Timekeeper
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm a surf kid from Australia, and I too love climbing trees.
Part of the reason my brothers and I have a high regard for monkeys xD

I don't really have any epic tree falling stories, though it was funny to watch Jiro's previously mentioned stack :D
He was jumping for the branch I was sitting on, after watching him jump I wondered what he was trying to accomplish xD

Shlup
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I used to have calluses all over my little hands from climbing trees. We had a lot of good climbing trees in my neighborhood. I still get the urge to climb a tree when I see a good one.

rubah
08-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I have a nice scar on the back of my thigh because you should never climb a mimosa tree in cowboy boots.

We had an awesome tree that was perfect for climbing until it started rotting and then it blew over. But, we planted a new one that's the same kind (tulip tree), and maybe my babies or grandbabies can climb it!

Bunny
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I climbed a very large tree one time. Then my brother pushed me out and I landed face first onto the cement.

Raistlin
08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I used to love climbing trees. I even attempted to built a tree fort with my little cousin when I was a kid that didn't really work out so well.

theundeadhero
08-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I climbed trees all the time. In basic training my drill sergeant started calling me Monkey after we started running the obstacle courses :monkey:

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I used to climb trees all the time, especially great big ones with the intent of putting up a rope swing. Man I love rope swings.

Crimson
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Back in the day I would climb onto a really bushy tree where I couldnt be seen well, from there i'd snipe people with my BB gun.

Good times Good times.

Shoeberto
08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
My fear of heights makes it hard to climb too much. But I do from time to time, mostly when coerced.

Myself, Allie and a friend of ours were talking about starting a tree climbing club at school. And then all of the trees on campus got obliterated in a horrible ice storm. Better luck next year, I guess.

Momiji
08-03-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm terrified of heights. So, no. :-\

SomethingBig
08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I climbed just about any tree I could get my hands on as a kid and I STILL do. Anything that has a pole or something to hold onto, I'll climb it.

Raistlin
08-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm terrified of heights, too, so I'm not going to be climbing 30 feet up a huge oak tree. But I can still climb up a few branches.

qwertysaur
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
My tail is very short. so short that the skin smooths over it giving it the appearence of nonexistance.

Trees are there to be climbed, or to make oxygen through photosynthesis. Both very important jobs though :p

Laddy
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Poor me never climbed trees, I fell off once and hurt my back and never did it again.

Breine
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I have this love and fascination for trees, and so I really like to climb them. I used to do it all the time as a kid. Not so much anymore, though.

...sigh, I should really start doing it again.

Rodarian
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
It seems almost as a right of passage for kids to climb trees.... I haven't climbed a tree in ten years...

Raistlin
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
My tail got pulled off so I wouldn't destroy the universe.

(Did anyone make that joke yet? I didn't see. I'm ashamed I didn't think of it until now)

Peegee
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
My tail got pulled off so I wouldn't destroy the universe.

(Did anyone make that joke yet? I didn't see. I'm ashamed I didn't think of it until now)

Terrible. I disapprove.

We used to climb trees all the time.

Raistlin
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
You're just jealous I'm a Super Saiyan.

Rodarian
08-04-2009, 02:45 PM
You're just jealous I'm a Super Saiyan.

:twak:

Unbreakable Will
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a tree climbing story: climbed a tall tree, thought I was superman, fell (jumped) off said tree, landed on back, got up a few minutes later when breathe returned to body...
>.>

Agent Proto
08-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I've climbed a few trees back in the day when I was young. Rather, they were rather trees where the branches were low enough to reach. There was this tree near my aunt's house in Maryland that we used to climb almost daily. Nowadays, I don't really want to bother.

drotato
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
It's in my signature. /:

blackmage_nuke
08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Trees are there to be climbed, or to make oxygen through photosynthesis. Both very important jobs though :p

Dont forget theyre also a good at being urinated on.

Evastio
08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I never really tried to climb a tree before, seeing how I'm one of those "by the book people" and I remember reading that climbing trees are dangerous.

Fun life I have, I know.

rubah
08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
you can read that tree climbing is dangerous? ._.

I thought I was well-read, and all I remember is the Boxcar Children could shimmy up a tree without needing limbs!

Jiro
08-05-2009, 03:19 AM
Climbing trees isn't dangerous, pssh. It's only falling out that could get you hurt :p

DarkBahamut
08-05-2009, 03:26 AM
OOZARU!

http://100megsfree4.com/abcsofdbz/gallery/oozaru.jpg

Meow....

It's very hard to climb like this. :) Just trying to make some demented people better.

Rostum
08-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I loved climbing trees as a kid. In my front yard, we had two large trees - one for me to climb and one for my sister to climb. We even eventually made a flying fox across them (mid-way height), however we only tried it a few times and it didn't feel too safe so we took it down.

Thankfully I have never fallen from a tree.

If I ever saw an awesome tree, had a bit of free time, I'd so climb it.

I think the reason why it was so fun as a kid, at least for me, was that it was like an adventure where you could explore not only what was further up that tree, but your physical limitations and eventually feel good about your accomplishment of the height you achieved.