PDA

View Full Version : Freakiest literary monster

rubah
08-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Gonna put my vote in for the Shrike from Hyperion Cantos.
http://www.sefskillz.com/tree/tree/pictures/shrike.jpg
http://www.amon-var.de/gallery1/dark_p/shrike.JPG

The Shrike is a fiercesome creature, a tree of thorns, steel spikes that deliver endless pain or quick death. His eyes glow fiery red.

Rye
08-04-2009, 04:55 AM
I feel like my mind has been picked, since I was just thinking of making a similar thread at work. xD

Not exactly a MONSTER, per say, but Noboru Wataya of The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. is a really eerie creepy villain, and is more of an idea than a person, but evil all the same. He's a thorough monster in that sense.

Medi
08-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Not really a monster, it was more of a representation of the monsters within the characters, but the Lord of the Flies from... Lord of the Flies. I already hate pigs enough, but a talking dead pig's head on a stick? Ugh.

Araciel
08-04-2009, 05:05 AM
God - The Bible.

Crimson
08-04-2009, 05:17 AM
God - The Bible.

~*~Celes~*~
08-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Not really a monster, it was more of a representation of the monsters within the characters, but the Lord of the Flies from... Lord of the Flies. I already hate pigs enough, but a talking dead pig's head on a stick? Ugh.

rubah
08-04-2009, 05:24 AM
(more pictures please, guys)

Araciel
08-04-2009, 05:27 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u54/underoath_777album/god.gif

Warning: May not actually look AS deific.

Crimson
08-04-2009, 05:37 AM
http://i32.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2uqm8us.jpg

Happy?

Darkswordofchaos
08-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Maybe Gendall From Beowulf (the real one not that movie)

SomethingBig
08-04-2009, 06:08 AM
The Shrike

Damn you! As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought of the Shrike! :mad2:

You forgot to mention that not only is the Shrike nearly invincible, it can travel through time.

rubah
08-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Well, I didn't want to give too much away! The fact that he is freaking made of STEEL is pretty creepy as it is

Darkswordofchaos
08-04-2009, 06:27 AM
so the only thing that can defeat him is a torch or welder

SomethingBig
08-04-2009, 06:30 AM
And if you somehow manage to find a weakness, it could just go back in time and warn itself. Or gather an army of Shrikes to kill you.

To contribute, I would have to say Dracula. A lot of people I've talked to don't seem to like this book and I can't see why. The way he isn't an overt monster, like the movies portray him to be, gives him a more chilling personality. On top of that, he's highly intelligent and cunning.

Darkswordofchaos
08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
creepiest monster ever was the cymbol monkey in one of stephen kings short stories

Big D
08-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Mr Hyde, from the original novel. Hint: contrary to popular movie portrayals, Mr Hyde is *not* a giant mutant titan. Imagine, instead, a man whose entire body is tensed and contorted, the muscles wound up impossibly tight. He looks dwarfed or hunched, but becomes an unstoppable juggernaut when enraged. The personality and behaviour are even more unsettling than the appearance.

Then there's the pig character from the ancient Chinese epic, Journey to the West. He's a man who was supposed to be reincarnated into a new human body, but there was a clerical error at the reincarnation wheel. Instead of being born from a human mother, he was impregnated into a pig. He emerged as a demi-human pig-monster, shunned and feared and eventually becoming a cannibalistic terror until recruited by the monk Tripitaka on his titular journey, becoming a valued - if dubious - companion.
Sure he winds up as a hero, but his concepts and origins are rather bat:bou::bou::bou::bou:. Especially since the character was first written in the sixteenth century.

blackmage_nuke
08-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I remember the Demon/monk that lived underwater being the cannibalistic one or maybe it was both of them.

Anyway the ghost of Christmas yet to come usually creeps me out, as well as the ghost that comes to warn Scrooge about the other ghosts.

Jojee
08-04-2009, 08:34 AM
I freaked out really bad, like back in middle school -> Sweet Valley Twins, The Beast. xD It was a scary picture of really creepy evil girl on the cover and the book was pretty creepy too.

Hehehe Big D, I <3 Zhu Ba Jian. Man I wanna watch Sun Wu Kong now ^_^

Big D
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I've only read excerpts of the original story - a scene where Sun Wukong fucks up some serious :bou::bou::bou::bou: and wastes a ton of dudes in heaven - but I plan to read the whole saga some day:D Sun Wukong is so badass.

Meat Puppet
08-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Well, I’d tell you it was an old man going by the name of... Leland Gaunt, from a little ol’ novel that went by many names, though what I called it was Needful Things.