PDA

View Full Version : MobilEoFF Beta Testers Wanted

rubah
08-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Hi! I'm working on a style for EoFF on mobile phones/PDAs/small screens because BoB's Simplified isn't cutting it.

You should be able to Select MobilEoFF from the drop down menu.

Things that I want:
A list of what users want to be able to easily access on EoFF via cellular device. What links are useless, etc.
Details on how navigation works on typical cell phones. All I have for testing is an itouch which I realize is probably different than a lot of interfaces xD

Things I do not want:
Users on large screens. This is not for you; we have lots of pretty styles for you.
ideas on colors/design; that will be last xD The first part is stripping off all the cruft!

This skin will be for you guys, so if you use EoFF from your cell phone or PDA, you better say what you need!

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-05-2009, 03:52 AM
Hmm I'd be up for testing. I quite often access EoFF on my phone. You should make a widget, they are all the rage about now like totally.

3GS has no problem loading images fast, it's just fitting the frames into a mobile friendly size I suppose.

Citizen Bleys
08-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Aren't you worried that trying to access a forum on a cell phone will cause all those who make the attempt to go irreversibly, criminally insane?

Wait I just asked that of someone with a Cthulhu avatar. Never mind, as you were.

rubah
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
phones are easier to lug around than laptops! and sometimes you just cba with a computer lab :)

(I am at school from 9AM to 4PM... I have to do something.)

Rantz
08-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm very glad that you're doing this. Few things I noticed so far! I can't find any links to subforums, either on the forum index or in the parent forum. I can't view spoilers at all since they are entirely reliant on JavaScript. The latter is of course a BBCode issue and not a template one, but it's something to consider in terms of mobile-friendliness.

It's a little hard on my phone to tell read from unread. I'd like to see clearer indication of this.

Edit: I'd like to see signatures disabled in this skin, but avatars can stay iyam

Levian
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
not display many threads in each forum.
axe signatures
axe avatars
axe post and thread count on forums index.
axe post count for threads? I don't know, it's just every table gets pressed underneath eachother, so it's very much to scroll past.

Old Manus
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Screw mobile phones, I'm using this style on my computer!

blackmage_nuke
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I hardly feel we need View Count

Rantz
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
axe post and thread count on forums index
axe post count for threads

I hardly feel we need View Count

Oh yeah, these too.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
oh and put usernames etcetera above posts instead of to the left. Ugh I mean 3.5g not 3GS.

Levian
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes, that too. With my phone it gets pressed above either way, but I suppose it'd look neater if it's supposed to be above.

drotato
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll test if you want.
I don't use my phone for much else. o.O

o_O
08-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm testing on Windows Mobile on Netfront, Pocket IE and Opera Mobile. They all look good; Opera's the best.

I agree with Lev and Rantz that post counts should be removed from the index pages. I always browse with the browser set to render everything in a single column so having those table cells equates to more vertical scrolling for me. If I have it set to fit it to my screen size or render as a desktop PC then I have to do a lot of side scrolling. Also sigs add a lot of extra scrolling.

Other than that, I like it and will be using it should I need to access EoFF from my phone in the future. :p

Shlup
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Aren't you worried that trying to access a forum on a cell phone will cause all those who make the attempt to go irreversibly, criminally insane?

Wait I just asked that of someone with a Cthulhu avatar. Never mind, as you were.

I check EoFF from my phone all the time. D:

rubah
08-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Can someone go through the PM system and say if it's more usable than before?

Baloki
08-08-2009, 09:37 AM
It's still pretty bad all over for me tbh. Too big for the screen and too many flashy features :(

Am using Opera 9 WM 6 on a Samsung Omnia.

rubah
08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
massively revamped the forum/thread display pages. They should only be one column.
I know I know, the posts are the most important part, but they're hard ;_;

[edit- oh hey, I already removed sigs and junk from posts! I just forgot that there were two postbits. It should display with postbit at the top regardless of what you have chosen in your forum options]

Shlup
08-09-2009, 10:58 PM
I tried to use this on my phone yesterday, but everything was just so... BIG. Also, I demand prettier colors.

Dignified Pauper
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I will check this out on my voyager and contribute to the testing. As that goes, I can give you a lot of info on how phones access the web. Is the webpage still in HTML, because newer phones have the capability, but some phones or basic Nokia/Moto phones still don't yet.

Jessweeee♪
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
It seems to work nicely with my phone, but I just lurk since I can't get my note with it.

Cloudane
10-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Sounds very interesting. I'm all for boards being easier to use on the iPhone. Not too fussed about style - but use BIG buttons so that we can use fingers to navigate without having to zoom in :)

Don't suppose this is going to be a GPL skin, or one that can be adapted to other forums at an affordable cost? I'd *love* a decent vBulletin skin for the iPhone... there are some reasonable ones around, but generally either for ancient vB versions or very buggy.

theundeadhero
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Unsticky.