PDA

View Full Version : World Map

oddler
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Discussion and edits concerning the world map of Eizon can be posted here. Please don't drastically change the content of the World Map without posting here explaining what you're editing and why so everyone's on the same page. I'll keep the most up-to-date map that is generally agreed upon added to this post for easy access.

World Map

Race Origins

Loony BoB
08-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I think we should keep the existing geographical map and then re-start the countries etc. from scratch. This allows for a quick start while still allowing for a lot of customisation. I don't see any real need to change the geography, though.

EDIT: You should probably link to the world map in your original post. :p

oddler
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Done. For simplicity's sake, we'll begin with the original Annifontia map from Eizon: Rebirth! OP edited with the map.

Loony BoB
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
That's... not Eizon. xD That's Europe! There was a full Eizon map that we came up with at some point, a completely unique one.

oddler
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
xD I browsed but didn't see it in the original one. It must be hidden away in one of the deep, dark threads somewhere. I'll have to look in a bit.

Loony BoB
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Look for a stickied thread in one of the main Eizon forums. I think it's by Proto. I checked but my work seems to have blocked the images so I don't know which one.

Agent Proto
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
This post by Nait (http://forums.eyesonff.com/839460-post18.html) holds an attachment of a nice clean map of Eizon.

Aerith's Knight
08-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll take Ireland, or the island on the most left side, if you will.

In the other "Nait" map, I'd like the island on the left corner, with the U-shaped mountains.

oddler
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I updated the OP to show the "clean" map that Agent Proto linked to. If anyone wants to make some minute changes so that it's not the exact same, that's fine. It's up to you guys.

Aerith's Knight, let's start by coming up with some Locations. Naming the islands and continents would probably be a good start. When it comes time to claim an area, it'll most likely be a single city that you'll control but we'll have to wait until we get the world built before we start doing that.

Who's got names for places on the World Map? :choc2:

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Top left - Dulake continent
Top right - Spearriver continent
Bottem right - Broken mountain continent
Bottem left - Eunasia continent
Bottom middle - Delta bay continent
left middle islands - Shine islands
middle middle - Omega continent
islands under Omega continent - Sentinel islands
Right top upper island - Greenfrost island

Agent Proto
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Those are not islands, they're continents.

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Alrighty, continents it is. Changed.

oddler
08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
All names added. I placed a scale on the map for reference. 100 pixels to 100 miles.

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 01:38 PM
How about "Greenslope continent" for the last island on the middle right, under Spearriver?

Loony BoB
08-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I think rather than naming them all immediately, we should consider where each race originates and then name them to suit the races that would logically have named them.

"Broken Mountain Continent" sounds a little silly. As does Spearriver. For a start, these people won't name continents based on their landshapes as they wouldn't have had satellite imagery and it would be hard for them, in that day and age, to name them like that. Omega - why? It doesn't seem like anything to do with the end. I think a bit more thought should go into place names. But then, maybe I'm just anal. :D

I like Dulake, though. The "Shiny Islands" would be neat. Greenfrost Island, I like that one, as it has a reason for it's naming that is more realistic - someone would come to the island and notice a green frost, and then name the entire island after it. It's similar to how New Zealand was named Aotearoa by the Maori - it means 'Land of the Long White Cloud', which is what they saw when they arrived, if I recall correctly. Just think a bit more "random" thought is needed for the others... naming then names rather than words, if you get what I mean. Estapora, Cennora, Artaland or something else completely made up, or possibly something that is translated but sounds neat, you know... stuff. :shifty:

Sentinel Islands is neat enough.

If we do go ahead with something similar to having Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Bangaa, Moogles and Shumi then I think the Shumi should live on the small islands to the far east of the map. Just seems suitable. :p

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I just named them in a few seconds, so I'm not really attached to them, so if you have some cool idea BoB, out with it, and we'll change them to it. :p

How about: Spearriver -> Loftlain?
Or: Omega -> Crastasia

Agent Proto
08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I think it would be better if we gather names to be used for the continents and later vote for our favorites. We could also have the original names of the continents when we vote.

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I think at least everyone should be able to name their country or region, as it were.

Loony BoB
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
One thing worth asking before we establish where the races originate (which can only make naming them about ten times easier as you don't exactly want your Dwarves growing up on Fairy Island)...

Is this world going to have a 'God' given to it? Possibly our collective imagination effectively being the God, of course. If there is, we can have a lot more freedom to mess about with where races begin. For example, if there is a God, then you can say that the elves began in multiple forest at the same time, with no need for a logical way for them to expand from one original area. Meanwhile, if there is no God, then it would make more sense for something similar to Elves to spread from one forest to another, to another, over time. So the one they start in would likely be named by themselves, but forests closer to humans would be named with human-like names before the elf-like race got there.

I hope that makes sense!

As for what names to use, I think the old continent names aren't terrible, but could be worked on. As I said before, I do like Greenfrost Island, and I certainly approve of the Shiny Islands as these just seem to be natural ideas for island names. For continents, names like Dulake (if you say it Doo-lah-kay rather than Dew-Lake) and so forth are good ideas. I think we should just grab some old, some new and wait for a few more ideas for the last ones. But for anything that isn't a continent, I think we should work on the races before we work on the names, purely for the sake of it making sense as to races being dominant in the cities that they have named.

EDIT: Oops, missed some posts since I took too long. xD I agree with Proto particularly for the continents, that's a very good idea. For countries/regions, I think regions name themselves according to races. Countries need to be race-dependant to some degree (again, you don't want Dwarves being abundant in Fairyland, do you?). I think when it comes to controlling names of areas, we should work together so it makes sense. For names of people-groups, though, for example "The Royal Family", "KGB", "FBI" and "TNMT", I'm sure that people can have near complete freedom.

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
As long as Eunasia continent is inhabited with humans and Elves, I'm pretty much fine with that. :)

I do think that the center continent should have an Elven name. No matter if there is a "God" or not, we can all agree that Elves (and perhaps dwarves) were the first to arrive in Eizon. So the center continent would most certainly have the most divers population, but still named by the oldest race.

Loony BoB
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Why are Elves and Dwarves the first to arrive? Keep in mind that it's possible we'll use Viera instead of Elves, although I have no idea of anyone's preference at the moment.

Aerith's Knight
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Merely going by Tolkien timeline, but it could be different, I suppose. I assumed this because you also used dwarves, a tolkien translation of the word "dwarfes". xP

Viera isn't really the same, more like rabbits. :p

oddler
08-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I think rather than naming them all immediately, we should consider where each race originates and then name them to suit the races that would logically have named them.

Yep. I think the more background and "reason" we have for naming things, the better. Dulake, Spearriver, Broken Mountain, Eunasia, Delta Bay, Shine Islands, Omega, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost, Estapora, Cennora, Artaland are all possibilities to vote on later. I like Proto's idea.

I guess, coming down to it, perhaps races are definitely the first things that needs to be set in stone.

Edit:
Is this world going to have a 'God' given to it? Possibly our collective imagination effectively being the God, of course. If there is, we can have a lot more freedom to mess about with where races begin.

Yes. Go here. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/eizon-rediscovery/126435-contributions-legends.html#post2711389)

08-08-2009, 02:39 AM
I suppose omega would be inhabited by all the playable races seeing as it's central.
Eunasia & the northern half of dulake having high concentrations of elves/viera.

I assume humans can be found everywhere where theres large areas of open land?

oddler
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm going to say as a general rule, any race can pop up practically anywhere on any continent as long as there's good creative reasoning behind it. Otherwise, the standard chance of population will most likely go something like this:

Human - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
Moogle - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
Elf - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Low, Drylands: Low
Dwarf - Plains: Medium, Forest: Low, Mountain: High, Drylands: Medium
Bangaa - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High
Shumi - Plains: Low, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High

I've attached a rough map of the general areas where certain climates are dominant to the first post. Tropical areas are hot, humid, arid, dry, etc. Arctic areas are cold, windy, frozen, etc. If anyone wants to improve on them, feel free. :choc2:

08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Perhaps the map can be edited to show the arctic areas better. Add some snow or something.

Something akin to this but obviously alot better.

oddler
08-09-2009, 07:40 PM
That actually looks a lot better than it did, 404. I'll put that one in the original post. :choc2:

Does anyone have any more ideas on names for regions or oceans? We could come up with a common theme for the area names such as Greek Letters or names resembling the races like Humaria or Elvaron...? These are the current ones to pick from:

Dulake, Spearriver, Broken Mountain, Eunasia, Delta Bay, Shine Islands, Omega, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost, Estapora, Cennora, and Artaland.

I like Dulake, Eunasia, Shine Islands, Sentinel Islands, Estapora, and Cennora. :)

Jiro
08-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Dulake, Eunasia, Shine Islands, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost. I can't seem to locate Estapora, Cennora or Artaland on the map, though I am a fan of the first two.

Loony BoB
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm going to say as a general rule, any race can pop up practically anywhere on any continent as long as there's good creative reasoning behind it. Otherwise, the standard chance of population will most likely go something like this:

Human - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
Moogle - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
Elf - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Low, Drylands: Low
Dwarf - Plains: Medium, Forest: Low, Mountain: High, Drylands: Medium
Bangaa - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High
Shumi - Plains: Low, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High

I've attached a rough map of the general areas where certain climates are dominant to the first post. Tropical areas are hot, humid, arid, dry, etc. Arctic areas are cold, windy, frozen, etc. If anyone wants to improve on them, feel free. :choc2:
I agree that people should be able to pop up practically anywhere, but I still think that it would be really neat for the sake of architecture/design that they all originate in one or two places. That way each race will have it's own history and storytelling will be easier as you can, for example, every town won't be the same... you could escape from an Elven hunter, for example, by going to the Bangaa lands where an Elven hunter would look extremely out of place.

Random idea for continent naming: Spearriver? No! Spariva. I think that's a really neat name. As for the voting, here's my votes for names...

Top left - Dulake (doo-lah-kay) continent
Top right - Spariva (spah-ree-vah) continent
Bottem right - Baroke (bah-row-kay) continent
Bottem left - Estapora (est-ah-pore-ah) continent
Bottom middle - Cennora (senn-ore-ah) continent
left middle islands - Shiny Islands
middle middle - Amano continent - tribute to the man who designed the races of FF, since they are prominent in this world.
islands under Omega continent - Sentinel Islands
Right top upper island - Greenfrost Island

Delta Bay should be the name of a bay, not a continent. ;) For me, Eunasia sounds too much like Eurasia (the real world name for the continent of Europe and Asia).

oddler
08-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Delta Bay should be the name of a bay, not a continent. ;) For me, Eunasia sounds too much like Eurasia (the real world name for the continent of Europe and Asia).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. :p

I'm game for everything else you just said, though. I guess it would make sense to have certain specified areas where races tend to gather. Not to mention, it'll make it much simpler in the long run.

Aerith's Knight
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I support all of bobs names, mostly because I care fairly little.

Then I still call dibs on estapora.

oddler
08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
World Map edited and reposted in the original post with BoB's continent names. If anyone has objections to any of these names, just let me know.

Should we name seas and oceans or leave them open?

Jiro
08-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I think the seas and oceans should be named now, as they're more apart of Eizon than any one country or continent. However, there's no reason why each area couldn't have a nickname for these places.

oddler
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I think there are 4 areas of water that need names.

??? - SW of Dulake, NW of Estapora, SE of Spariva, NE of Baroke
??? - SE of Dulake, E of Shiny Islands, W of Amano, N of Cennora
??? - N of Amano, S of Amano, S of Cennora, SW of Baroke
??? - Area between Amano and Spariva

I'm assuming that the world loops around and is spherical so when you cross the east boundary, you end up on the west side of the map. :p

Loony BoB
08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Indeed.

oddler
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Kinju Sea - SW of Dulake, NW of Estapora, SE of Spariva, NE of Baroke
Naotsuna Sea - SE of Dulake, E of Shiny Islands, W of Amano, N of Cennora
Saeki Sea - N of Amano, S of Amano, S of Cennora, SW of Baroke
Lake Nyudo - Area between Amano and Spariva

Names based on the swordsmith Masamune and his students. :choc2:

Jiro
08-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Only issue I have is that Lake Nyudo isn't actually a lake! :monster:
Would Nyudo Strait work as well? Though I'm not even sure "strait" is the correct term for a body of water like that. :confused:

oddler
08-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Could always call it good old Delta Bay. Is it a bay?

Jiro
08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Bay - A body of water partially enclosed by land but with a wide mouth, affording access to the sea: the Bay of Biscay.

I think we have a winner! Bay works for me. Delta or Nyudo? I don't mind either.

oddler
08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll go ahead and use Nyodu to stick with the theme for now unless someone objects. Updating the original post now; we're just about ready to start creating characters and cities!