PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. John Hughes

Boney King
08-06-2009, 11:10 PM
John Hughes, "Sixteen Candles" Director, Dies Of Heart Attack - KTXL (http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-johnhughes0806,0,6312420.story)

I will always love Uncle Buck.

Dreddz
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Teen comedies just officially died.

R.I.P John.

Shiny
08-06-2009, 11:30 PM
He was a subpar director imo, but I still can't deny how influential he was for pop culture during the 80s and 90s.

Bunny
08-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh man, I loved Ferris Bueller's Breakfast Vacation!

Dreddz
08-06-2009, 11:39 PM
He was a subpar director imo, but I still can't deny how influential he was for pop culture during the 80s and 90s.

Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Sixteen Candles
Ferris Bueller
Uncle Buck
Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I can think of very few people who have the same consistency in quality as John Hughes. He was only directing for around 10 years too. Looking at what he achieved in 10 years its pretty impressive if you ask me.

The Space Pope
08-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Ferris Bueller

The only movie of his I ever cared for.

Yes he was influential but that was what, 25 years ago? I always felt movies like Breakfast Club were overrated. And those Space God awful National Lampoon movies, Chevy Chase UGH. Unfunniest human ever.

Shiny
08-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Oh, I forgot he did Ferris Bueller. That's the only movie I thought was decent from him.

Bunny
08-06-2009, 11:46 PM
Ferris Bueller

The only movie of his I ever cared for.

Yes he was influential but that was what, 25 years ago? I always felt movies like Breakfast Club were overrated. And those Space God awful National Lampoon movies, Chevy Chase UGH. Unfunniest human ever.

I see your Chevy Chase and raise you Dane Cook.

Dreddz
08-06-2009, 11:50 PM
No love for Planes, Trains & Automobiles? Today really is a sad day.

The Space Pope
08-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I see your Chevy Chase and raise you Dane Cook.
touche

LET ME YELL REAL LOUD AND REPEAT MYSELF AND SWEAR ALOT AND PRETEND THAT I CARE ABOUT THE AUDIENCE AND THAT IM AM REGULAR GUY JUST LIKE THEM HAAHHA

Bunny
08-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Identity Revealed.

The Space Pope is Dane Cook!

The Space Pope
08-07-2009, 12:20 AM
But I don't care about my audience ;_;

~*~Celes~*~
08-07-2009, 12:45 AM
I liked Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller :D

Rocket Edge
08-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Trains, Planes, & Automobiles is a classic. I liked his film's, so this is sad news to me. RIP John.

Namelessfengir
08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Bethany: What exactly brought you to Illinois?
Jay: Some smurf named John Hughes.
Bethany: "Sixteen Candles" John Hughes?
Jay: You know that guy, too? See, all these movies take place in a small town called Shermer, in Illinois, where all the honies are top-shelf, but all the dudes are whiny wussies - except for Judd Nelson, he was smurfin' harsh - but best of all, there was no one dealin', man; then, it hits me: we could live like phat rats if we were the blunt connection in Shermer, Illinois. So we collected some money we were owed, and we caught a bus. You know what the smurf we found out when we got there? There is no Shermer in Illinois. Movies are smurfin' bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:.

that my best memory about john hughes

Wolf Kanno
08-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Dogma strikes again :cool:

I'll miss him cause he did some outstanding movies in the 80's and that was back when I still liked movies. I'm also surprised so one has mentioned The Great Outdoors which is one of the best movies John Candy was in and a great film with Dan Akroyd.

charliepanayi
08-07-2009, 07:42 AM
It should be remembered he produced/wrote a lot more films than he directed, he stopped directing films after Curly Sue (which is his worst film by far) in 1991 which is a shame really. But of the films he did direct, Ferris Bueller, Uncle Buck and (especially) Planes, Trains and Automobiles are especially great - the latter is one of my favourite comedies with Steve Martin and the also sadly missed John Candy on top form. The bit where Steve Martin lets fly with a stream of f-words is hilarious.

Heath
08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a fantastic film and one of my favourite American comedies of that era. I liked the Breakfast Club but I didn't think it was amazing, however I did generally like his work and I'm disappointed to see that he has died. Though seeing this has made me realise how sadly missed John Candy is too.

sephireland
08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Pre Home Alone he was amazing. Once that giant turd of a movie hit though, well let's just say he died creatively long ago. Still, it is sad. RIP.

theundeadhero
08-07-2009, 04:43 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I can connect with teen 80's movies. I can't help it. I was made in the 80's.

krissy
08-07-2009, 05:49 PM
this is sad to me

RIP

ferris bueller is a life mantra
and breakfast club is uplifting
also weird science helped me grow up