PDA

View Full Version : (500) Days of Summer

Rye
08-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Going to see this tomorrow, I'm so jazzed to see it. I love Zoey Daschanel, and it genuinely looks like a good movie. Anyone else see it/going to see it?

It's kind of hard to find. :(

SomethingBig
08-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I was supposed to see it tonight, but now I can't. :cry: I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt and I've wanted to see it since I first saw a trailer for it.

Hope you enjoy the movie!

Boney King
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Saw it a week or two ago, and I absolutely loved it. One of my favourites of the year, definitely.

Rye
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Gahhh, SB, if I had known, I'd have waited and we could have gone to see it. I bought the ticket, too late now. xD

I hope I like it! It's gotten pretty good reviews.

SomethingBig
08-08-2009, 12:39 AM
My friends and I just postponed the movie for some time (HOPEFULLY) next week. >_< I appreciate it, though!

Shattered Dreamer
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah this movie looks pretty good I've had a crush on Zooey Deschannel since Yes Man:love:

Madame Adequate
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
The trailer makes me lol, but the brackets irrationally annoy me.

Rye
08-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah. So. I haven't been so enthralled by a movie since watching Amelie. Anyone who's close to me knows that's a Very Big Deal.

Go see it. NOW.

Also, the scene after Tom got some was one of my favorite cinematic moments ever. xD

Boney King
08-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Yeah. So. I haven't been so enthralled by a movie since watching Amelie. Anyone who's close to me knows that's a Very Big Deal.

Go see it. NOW.

Also, the scene after Tom got some was one of my favorite cinematic moments ever. xD
That scene was hilarious.

Rye
08-09-2009, 05:03 AM
The more I think of it, the more this movie reminds me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Amelie, if those two movies had a baby, in terms of style. I really dig it.

I just want to watch this movie again. :(

SomethingBig
08-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Just got back from seeing this movie and I. Friggin'. Loved it. One of my favorite scenes, which was also one of the saddest scenes, was the part where Tom goes to the party and there's a split-screen of his expectations and reality. It reminded me of how I often do that with events that involve girls I'm attracted to. I actually picture in my head the events that I want to happen, the things I'll say, and what will happen. Of course, reality isn't so kind and things just happen to go the exact opposite that I pictured! :p

I also loved how they played the penis game XD. My friends and I used to play that game ALL the time in 8th grade and we got in trouble for playing it in school once.

YES! I wanted to get up and dance along with him!

Breine
08-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Zooey Deschanel is absolutely adorable, and having watched this trailer I'm sure I'll love this movie.

Del Murder
08-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Just saw this. I thought it was good. Cute and original. I really loved the little different details that were added like the cartoon bird randomly flying onto his shoulder during the dance number after they had sex. That whole scene was great.

Here's some issues I had:
I don't like that 3 months after they break up she's already married to another guy. Not just engaged, MARRIED. That's pretty quick for someone who didn't even want to be someone's girlfriend. I get the idea that she just woke up one day and knew, but come on, 3 months? Also the scene at the wedding where they were reconnecting I felt like it was real and they had a definite chemistry going. So we're expected to believe she has something even better going on with this new guy she met a couple months ago?

I didn't think the idea that they weren't meant to be together wasn't applied well enough. I felt like all the scenes where it looked like she didn't want to be with him were because she was afraid of commitment. They had such great chemistry that even in the final scene at the bench I thought she was going to break up with her husband and go back to him. They just seemed really compatible.

I felt like we were supposed to like both characters but I agree with Tom, Summer is just way to inconsistent to be likeable. If my girlfriend was acting the way she did with Tom at that wedding I would be very concerned!

In summary, I feel like she came off as whoreish, and she wasn't supposed to.

Also does anyone notice that Zooey Deschannel plays pretty much the same character in every movie she's in?

charliepanayi
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Also does anyone notice that Zooey Deschannel plays pretty much the same character in every movie she's in?

She's the female Michael Cera evidently :D

Miriel
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Del Murder and I just about died laughing when Summer & Tom were playing the penis game. Mostly cause we had JUST been playing the exact same game the day before. What are the odds?

Also loved all the Ikea scenes, just cause the Boyfriend and I love hanging out at Ikea. Great seeing it in the film cause honestly, it's such a great representation of the kinds of stuff that real couples do with each other. Ikea is like Couplestopia.

I loved all the little elements in the film that made it quirky and whimsical. The reality/expectations split screen was great. The dance number, the sketches taking over the whole screen, even the jumping around throughout the 500 days of Summer. I didn't come away in love with the movie, but it was really good. Not as great as Eternal Sunshine though.

Del Murder
08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Oh yeah, the penis game. I randomly brought that up while jogging the day before. I have no idea why I brought it up. I had no information about this movie yet! So weird.

Rye
08-11-2009, 12:19 AM
That is a funny coincidence. xD

@ Zoey playing the same characters: It is kinda true. I think the difference with this one is that her character was so freaking unreadable, when her other ones were just a bit more snarky. I'm sorta impressed by her, but I'd like her to branch out more. Who knows though, maybe she'll pull an Anne Hathaway and really do something impressive, like when Hathaway did Rachel Getting Married! But with that same, Zoey has a bit of that Summer effect on you, while being pretty average. So I guess it was suiting. She's charming.

I dunno, no one impresses me as much as Kate Winslet in terms of variety. I'm in love with Audrey Tatou, but even she doesn't do variety on the level of Winslet. And in terms of the similarity between Kate Winslet's character in Eternal Sunshine and Zoey's character in 500 Days (imo), Kate Winslet portrayed hers much better.

The only thing that was a stand out love it/hate it thing with me in this movie was how the styles were inconsistent. I liked them all, but it seemed like they all didn't really match each other. It felt a bit more like a quilt work than a seamless movie at times.

Madame Adequate
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I just saw it yesterday with Rye and my feelings are mixed. I thought it was a brilliantly shot movie and some of the scenes were astoundingly beautiful. The scene on the train with the sunset was absolutely gorgeous; I have rarely seen something so beautiful on film.

However I had essentially the same problems as Del. It felt like the overall plot was forced in a direction which didn't make sense given that the two characters got on extremely well, except when Summer was being forced to act in a particular way that advanced the plot.

Also was it just me or in the last scene of them, at his favorite view, had she been crying pretty hard before he showed up?

krissy
09-29-2009, 07:01 PM
this is the sequel to 30 days of night right :)

Markus. D
09-30-2009, 12:13 AM
this is the sequel to 30 days of night right :)

xDxDDDD!

No that's Dust to Dust :D! The Web Series :D!

sephireland
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Loved it, Zooey Deschanel makes flinty attractive...not easy.

Breine
09-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I want to see this movie, but I have to wait until mid-november to see it! :mad2: